Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2013, 17:32   #17131
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yeah and I really haven't dug deep into the ROMs from a technical pov but I think many are just new skins and guys sell them off as newly developed ROMs.
I will definitely try the "cleaned up stock ROMS with custom governors embedded"
Will give my opinion on them after using them.

But, there is some good dev stuff in Canvas 2 section.

For e.g. Canvas 2 does not have ambient light sensor. (for auto-brightness setting)
Some guy has posted a workaround "auto brightness" patch zip.
What it does is - It records light available at front camera & adjusts brightness based on predefined levels!
That command is made to run every time you unlock phone.

But then, what's sad is - You gotta read way too much more to understand what you want.

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 28th November 2013 at 17:33.
Old 28th November 2013, 17:49   #17132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Yes, its actually digitizer. But normally, its very hard to see those patterns. Can you notice it easily?
When I tilt the phone little I can see them. But when the screen is turned on they are not visible at all.
Old 28th November 2013, 18:42   #17133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The right comparison should be S3 vs the utterly lag-free iphone 5:
http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_5-4910.php (2012 Sep)
The iPhone 5 cannot be classified as lag-free. I know friends who complain about their iPhone 5s which aren't responsive and lag. I believe it all depends on the number of apps installed, as well as the number of them which are running in the background.
Old 28th November 2013, 19:23   #17134
BHPian

TouchWiz is indeed laggy. Got rid of that on my S2, and now I have a lag free, slick phone running 4.2.2
Old 28th November 2013, 19:28   #17135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
TouchWiz is indeed laggy. Got rid of that on my S2, and now I have a lag free, slick phone running 4.2.2
Can you show me the way to remove TouchWiz from my Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100g model.....

Also my phone is running 4.1.2 version (all software updated) - How do you managed to get 4.2.2...?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by spinks_69 : 28th November 2013 at 19:33.
Old 28th November 2013, 19:36   #17136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinks_69 View Post

Can you show me the way to remove TouchWiz from my Samsung Galaxy S2.....

Thanks in advance
It's pretty easy. Just Google how to install custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S2 and follow the instructions. Before you go ahead, please check if you are using GT-i9100 or GT-i9100G. After following the instructions and rooting your phone, head over to the xda developers forum and enter your device in the search box. Choose from the wide variety of ROMs, flash one of them, you're done!

Don't forget to backup ALL your data before you do this.
Old 28th November 2013, 21:19   #17137
Senior - BHPian

My oldest phone just got the latest and greatest upgrade!

Its just a month away from being 4 years

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-4.4.jpg
Old 28th November 2013, 21:25   #17138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I have to say that given good system resources, Android gives you flawless experience. I have seen that on my wife's Note 10.1. It runs stock 4.1.2 with all Samsung stuff pre-loaded. No lags. No freezes. The 1.4 Ghz CPU and the 2 GB RAM can handle anything.
Interesting, a colleague had the same piece and the same opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The iPhone 5 cannot be classified as lag-free. I know friends who complain about their iPhone 5s which aren't responsive and lag. I believe it all depends on the number of apps installed, as well as the number of them which are running in the background.
Interesting - I have two other S3's around me, and I see the occasional lag with them regularly - while the two iPhone 5's have been really responsive - as is my ipad2 even now.

but interesting, first time i'm hearing of the iPhone5 lag!
Old 28th November 2013, 21:58   #17139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

but interesting, first time i'm hearing of the iPhone5 lag!
All phones lag! - be it Samsung/Apple/Micromaxx. I try to explain this to everyone. A phone when new will be blazing fast. Even the initial few months will be good. But after some time, all phones develop some kind of lag - do not ask me the reason but I have just observed it. I know people have a perception that Apple products never lag and Samsung/Android products lag but that is so untrue. For all I have seen, all phones lag after some time
Old 28th November 2013, 22:17   #17140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Well, no. I have not seen the phone. But I can see F150 below has now bought the phone. Hope to see his phone during the next TBHP EON meet.

Congratulations!

Nexus 5 is a fantastic, the overall experience is very fluid.

Here is the battery back up , initial expressions.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20131128215716.png  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20131128215821.png  

Old 29th November 2013, 08:26   #17141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
All phones lag! - be it Samsung/Apple/Micromaxx. I try to explain this to everyone. A phone when new will be blazing fast. Even the initial few months will be good. But after some time, all phones develop some kind of lag - do not ask me the reason but I have just observed it. I know people have a perception that Apple products never lag and Samsung/Android products lag but that is so untrue. For all I have seen, all phones lag after some time
Having used both Nexus and iphone, I've never seen a Nexus Phone lag. And yeah, I do have around 120 apps installed.
Yes, the iphone does lag after you install a lot of apps.
The iphone 4 without any apps installed and ios7 installed lags.
On the contrary, a Galaxy Note with the latest android ( stock, not samsung's and without any extra apps ) doesn't lag.

And regarding UI comparison, there is no point comparing the UI of an iphone with that of android. All the iOS does is to display icons and that's it. Android displays active widgets in its desktop. And the amount of pixels displayed by a Nexus 5 is 3 times that of an iphone 5, and inspite of all this, it provides peppy performance ( especially on Nexus devices ). I'm not even comparing the features or practicality of the android here, just the UI.

Now, another interesting comparison can be made with the profit margin or Samsung and Apple for their smart phones. Samsung sells a smartphone at an operating margin of 10 - 15% while apple sells it at 33%

What does that mean ?

When you buy an iphone for 40,000, the actual cost of production is just 26,800/- and that's inspite of the hectic operating cost that Apple has ( thanks to the premium tag and higher salaries ).
When you buy a Samsung phone for 40,000, the actual cost of production is somewhere around 35,000.

People buy an iphone for its legacy or the apple logo. Yes, the iphone was a fantastic innovation, when it was first released. But, post that the innovation just stopped and all it has done is to copy android features released atleast one year back.

I do not find one single reason why a person should opt for the iphone instead of an android in today's world.

And android gets faster with each release while the iOS gets slower.

Last edited by amalji : 29th November 2013 at 08:56.
Old 29th November 2013, 10:56   #17142
BHPian

Got the Samsung Galaxy S3 for my sister yesterday. I bought the phone from Flipkart on an awesome exchange deal. Exchanged a 2 year old phone (Nokia C3 - originally bought for Rs 6k) for Rs 4.5k and got the S3 for Rs 20.3k. Flipkart delivery was smooth and the exchange went ahead easily.

One thing I noticed yesterday was that the S3 was manufactured in India. Usually all the phones which I have bought till now had a label on them saying ‘Imported by – XXX Ltd’ with the phone being manufactured overseas (Vietnam, Korea, China etc). But I was surprised to see this S3 being manufactured in India (in Uttar Pradesh). I did not know that Samsung had started manufacturing mobile phones in India itself. I went to nearby mobile shop and saw the S3 piece there – that too was manufactured in India.

Last edited by Saanil : 29th November 2013 at 10:57.
Old 29th November 2013, 10:56   #17143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Interesting! I have a two year iPhone 4S 64GB of which only 2.3 GB is free and yet the phone rarely hangs but never lags. It does whatever I want from it instantly.
For a comparison, open up lets say Real Racing 3 on Galaxy S3 and iPhone 4S, press the home button and see which one comes out faster. That is when the iPhone only has a dual core 800 mhz processor in comparison to a quad core 1.4 ghz in the Samsung and half the RAM.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, if you want to go Android, nothing beats the pure Google Android experience. I recently acquired a Google Nexus 5 and absolutely love it but it still isnt perfect. Samsung's Galaxy is range is over hyped. There are much better phones out there.
Old 29th November 2013, 12:01   #17144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Interesting! I have a two year iPhone 4S 64GB of which only 2.3 GB is free and yet the phone rarely hangs but never lags. It does whatever I want from it instantly.
My mother has an iphone 4 with iOS 7 installed. It hangs as well as lags. And it needs random reboots as well. My Nexus 4 never ever hung on me till date even after filling it with apps. And it never lags as well.

Quote:
For a comparison, open up lets say Real Racing 3 on Galaxy S3 and iPhone 4S, press the home button and see which one comes out faster. That is when the iPhone only has a dual core 800 mhz processor in comparison to a quad core 1.4 ghz in the Samsung and half the RAM.
There are a couple of crucial aspects that you missed here. The S3 needs to handle 50% more pixels on a bigger screen than the tiny iphone 4s.
The S3 launcher is much superior in functionality to an iOS launcher. All an iOS launcher does is to show icons. Not the case with the S3, which displays active widgets. Comparing both of them is like comparing the speed of Windows 98 with Windows XP desktop. And then the Samsung bloatware. Stock Android on S3 is much faster.

Also, the speed of switching is also affected by the way android runs its apps. It uses JIT ( Just in Time ) compilation instead of AOT ( Ahead of Time ). This was the case till 4.3. From 4.4 on, AOT is given as a developer option in ART ( Android Run Time ). And from 5.x onwards, Android might completely switch to ART. Once applications starts utilizing the power of this, we are going to see even better speeds.

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, if you want to go Android, nothing beats the pure Google Android experience. I recently acquired a Google Nexus 5 and absolutely love it but it still isnt perfect. Samsung's Galaxy is range is over hyped. There are much better phones out there.
Could you throw some light on where it isn't perfect ? For me, it beats the iphone in every way except for the camera.

Last edited by amalji : 29th November 2013 at 12:07.
Old 29th November 2013, 12:09   #17145
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
- wifi keeps disconnecting stating my internet connection is 'unstable' or 'too slow' - once this happens the phone simply refuses to connect to the same wifi network.
Have you updated 4.4? Does this fix the wifi issues?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks