Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2013, 12:20   #17281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
How is the Xperia Z1? Users please share your opinions.

I am considering the Z1 along with the Nexus 5. But after seeing a drop test of the nexus, i am really scared. From a 5 feet drop, not only did te glass break but also the plastic underneath, exposing the circuits underneath. (Android authority drop test)

And i drop my iPhone a lot. That is once per day. It is still in prime condition thanks to the apple bumper.
With the Z, there were issues of the back panel smashing since it's glass. I also saw posts in xda about the back coming unglued.

Why not consider the LG g2? From personal experience, I can safely say this is the best Android device I've ever bought. It's got the same internals as the n5 but a bigger screen and better battery. Kit kat is expected by the end of next month, but the stock rom is seriously amazing. The first phone that I haven't rooted or installed a custom rom on.
Old 19th December 2013, 12:44   #17282
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Anyone using KitKat on N4. I got this update few weeks ago, didn't find any useful review. Last night took the plunge and downloaded KitKat. The UI is similar and icons have been changed. The settings colours are now B&W only, which is not great. Camera has been upgraded along with contacts. Over all the UI is smooth.

Too early to tell about anything else. Hope the battery life remains the same as before. Others please share your experience on KitKat.
Old 19th December 2013, 14:40   #17283
Distinguished - BHPian

I bought the Lenovo P780 a couple of weeks ago from Flipkart for Rs 18099. The price was fluctuating a bit at that time, it had dropped to Rs ~ 17400 and then gone up to ~ Rs 18500 so I picked it up when it came back to Rs 18099.

I found that most of the 5 inch Android phones were mild variations of each other but only one stood out when it came to battery life - the Lenovo P780. It comes with a massive 4000 mAh battery which is around double of what most other smart phones have. My brother had picked it up a few weeks before I did and he was very happy with the battery life. I consistently use it for 48+ hours with around 25 - 35% left at that time. This is with internet switched on during the whole day, multiple long calls as well as GPS based apps being used on alternate days.

The Lenovo interface is good though I havent figured out a couple of things like how to sequence icons in the tabs which I want and so on. The 5 inch screen is something that took a little getting used to initially since I was coming from a 4.2" Samsung phone.

Finally peace of mind for an android user when it comes to battery life!
Old 19th December 2013, 16:07   #17284
BHPian

I see many posts here saying that the price on Flipkart for a particular product keeps changing. Please make sure that you are comparing prices for the same seller. I know it is possible to have different prices for the same seller but it is also possible that when you refresh a page, the price displayed may be of a different seller from what you saw earlier. I would not expect prices from a particular seller to vary on an hour to hour basis.

Just my personal views.
Old 19th December 2013, 19:03   #17285
BHPian

Is it the 4.4.2 update? I am not able to see the 'display options' under contacts now? Earlier, i could have selected groups of contacts to be displayed under phone contacts, and now that feature is not available. Has it been moved somewhere else? I am on Nexus 4.

Pl. advise.
Old 19th December 2013, 21:34   #17286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Is it the 4.4.2 update? I am not able to see the 'display options' under contacts now? Earlier, i could have selected groups of contacts to be displayed under phone contacts, and now that feature is not available. Has it been moved somewhere else? I am on Nexus 4.

Pl. advise.
Go to contacts and select context menu - there is an option Contacts to Display.

I am on Nexus 5 - 4.2.2
Old 19th December 2013, 22:09   #17287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Go to contacts and select context menu - there is an option Contacts to Display.

I am on Nexus 5 - 4.2.2
The options i see on contacts are the following :-
- Import/export
- Clear frequents
- New contact
- All contacts
- Settings

What am i missing?
Old 19th December 2013, 22:49   #17288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The options i see on contacts are the following :-
- Import/export
- Clear frequents
- New contact
- All contacts
- Settings

What am i missing?
You are looking at the dialer application, not the People application.
Old 19th December 2013, 23:21   #17289
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Please make sure that you are comparing prices for the same seller. I know it is possible to have different prices for the same seller but it is also possible that when you refresh a page, the price displayed may be of a different seller from what you saw earlier.
I checked that and the price from the same seller does vary.

Quote:
I would not expect prices from a particular seller to vary on an hour to hour basis.
Not hour to hour but it does change in a couple of days.
Old 20th December 2013, 10:27   #17290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Go to contacts and select context menu - there is an option Contacts to Display.I am on Nexus 5 - 4.2.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
You are looking at the dialer application, not the People application.
I have made two groups like 'India' and 'US' contacts. Even after selecting the 'India' group in the people app, am able to see all the contacts in the dialer app.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20131220100926.png  

Old 20th December 2013, 13:36   #17291
Distinguished - BHPian

When is the Moto X expected to launch in India? And pricing? Any leads?
Old 20th December 2013, 15:01   #17292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
When is the Moto X expected to launch in India? And pricing? Any leads?
I don't think X is coming to India - it was made in and for US.

The G is coming to India in January. Price is unknown. But Kitkat is guaranteed.
Old 20th December 2013, 15:07   #17293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I bought the Lenovo P780 a couple of weeks ago from Flipkart for Rs 18099. The price was fluctuating a bit at that time, it had dropped to Rs ~ 17400 and then gone up to ~ Rs 18500 so I picked it up when it came back to Rs 18099.
Hi Neil,

How would you rate the P780's screen clarity and colours vs the Samsung S2(?) that you were using earlier. I also have a Samsung S2 and am eagerly hunting for an upgrade to a phone with better battery life and within 20K. The Lenovo P780 is one of the options I am considering.
Thanks.
Old 20th December 2013, 15:33   #17294
Senior - BHPian

Edit: Mod's please merge with my last post.
Here is updated information. Moto X is likely to come to India, but just not sure when.
So, if you are willing to wait for a few months, then hang on, the wood back option is also available now in the US.
Old 20th December 2013, 16:27   #17295
Senior - BHPian

Moto X and Moto G both might debute in India in Jan 2014 . Also Kitkat was released today for Moto G.

I am getting my Moto G on Tuesday evening. Now my Question is, will I be able to upgrade my Moto G on OTA to 4.4? Someone told me its advisable to do it without poping in a sim card and do it over wifi.

Moto G getting Android 4.4.2 update starting today - http://pulse.me/s/Jv8EF

Regards,

Most Viewed