Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2014, 18:45   #18781
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

In the Intel vs Snapdragon and the inherent architecture behind it, a few more things -

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...iffer-from-x86

Additionally, can all the android apps work on intel based x86 architecture? I think the androids apps that may be natively developed based on RISC may not run on x86.
Old 8th August 2014, 20:13   #18782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
...apps that may be natively developed based on RISC may not run on x86.
Not true. Native apps will have to be compiled by a compiler targeted for the hardware platform. Therefore, native apps meant to run on Intel x86 (be it phone or a PC) will have to be compiled by a compiler for x86 platform before it is deployed and executed on the phone. It should not fail to execute if compiled fine, otherwise, it will be a serious problem for the entire s/w industry, not just phones .

Quote:
... few apps available for Android may not work on Intel based phones.
By the way, most customer apps need not bother too much about RISC/ARM or x86/CISC hardware differences. It will be the job of Linux Kernel and OS (inside Android) to iron out differences in the CPU and present a uniform abstraction (APIs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/API) to the apps- average Joe will not realize they are using a Intel or a Qualcom

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 8th August 2014 at 20:41. Reason: rephrased and combined posts, make simpler
Old 8th August 2014, 20:25   #18783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Not true. Native apps will have to be compiled by a compiler targeted for the hardware platform. Therefore, native apps meant to run on Intel x86 (be it phone or a PC) will have to be compiled by a compiler for x86 platform before it is deployed and executed on the phone. It should not fail to execute if compiled fine, otherwise, it will be a serious problem for the entire s/w industry, not just phones .

-BJ
Thanks bj. I was under the impression that a few apps available for Android may not work on Intel based phones.
Old 8th August 2014, 22:57   #18784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
By the way, most customer apps need not bother too much about RISC/ARM or x86/CISC hardware differences. It will be the job of Linux Kernel and OS (inside Android) to iron out differences in the CPU and present a uniform abstraction (APIs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/API) to the apps- average Joe will not realize they are using a Intel or a Qualcom
Usual native apps (on Android) are written in Java so chip would not matter.

Games are an exception. These applications have significant amount of C++ code that is specific to video. That code will not work on X86 unless developer has packaged binaries compiled for X86.

At the moment, Android X86 market is not big enough to warrant this expense for game developers.
Old 9th August 2014, 10:09   #18785
Senior - BHPian

So been thinking of ditching my htc one m7 dual, and getting the LG G3. Looks yum
Old 9th August 2014, 11:58   #18786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
So been thinking of ditching my htc one m7 dual, and getting the LG G3. Looks yum
Definitely go for LG G3. I recently bought G3 Big B edition and its awesome. Screen is just gorgeous and it doesnt feel like that you are using a 5.5" screen. Go for it with closed eyes.
Old 9th August 2014, 16:40   #18787
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Thanks for the feedback, Rajiv and ghodlur. When i checked yesterday morning, the Zenfone 5 was in stock and now it's gone.

What is happening with flipkart?

I am also wondering since the specs are the same between the zenfone 5, does the price difference between the colours make sense? I am not able to decide on the color. Black looks neat while champagne gold has that exclusive touch and look to it but does it look girly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Lady luck smiled in the afternoon today. Saw the Asus Zenphone 5 A501CG (Red with 8 GB) available on Flipkart. White and Black were seen still Out of Stock. Hence ordered the Red one instantly. The order upon placed showed delivery date of 12th August. But immediately recd second SMS from Flipkart saying the delivery will be delayed by 7 days. Is this FlipKartish way of delivery?
There were several articles today indicating that Asus is putting up 10,000 units of the Zenfone 5 for sale today. I had been checking throughout the day, and around 10 min back, I saw the black 8GB-Showing in stock. Immediately went ahead and bought it. Purchase went through fine and expected delivery date is 16th Aug (Delivery is to Kerala). I just checked again to see if I missed the In Stock message of any of the other colors and saw the Black already showing Out of Stick. No idea what Flipkart is up to. For now I have not got any order delay sms. Fingers crossed.
Old 9th August 2014, 20:14   #18788
BHPian

Since LG is offering 5000 Rs off on LG G watch for those who buy G3,I couldnt resist it.So bought LG G watch.MRP 14999,after discount 10000 Rs.

I was sceptical about smart watch concept,especially since ,Samsung's watches were all flop.Also pebble looked too much toy like with its plastic body.LG G watch comes with metal casing( rest is plastic) and a silicon strap.You can swap straps as its of universal standard size.

LG G watch is the first official device running on Google's android wear software and so it is compatible with all latest flagship models,unlike Samsung gear ,which works only with samsung phones out of the box .

Watch is lightweight and is of conventional size ( You wont look like an alien with LG G watch ).

Design is simple and looks good in flesh.

Pairing is easy and I find it very useful as plenty of apps are coming in.

You will get all notifications as well as can set many tasks by voice command.

Very handy while driving.

Plenty of watch faces to customize it too.

Future of android wear looks promising because of Google's full support.

Spec sheet;

G Watch is equipped with a 1.2GHz Snapdragon 400 processor and 512MB of RAM, plus there's 4GB of internal storage 400mAh battery and it sports a 1.65-inch 280 x 280 IPS display.

Negatives;

Needs daily charging( comes with a magnetic charging dock- very easy to charge ,just place it over the dock)

Sunlight legibility is not great ( but OK )

Few international users complied of skin irritation due to charge leak through charging pins,which LG fixed with an update.I had no issues.

Those who do not like square watch can wait for the moto 360,which is said to have better specification.

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.in/201...-its-time.html
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20140806_220100.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20140806_220240.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-lggwatchandroidwear720x607.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by anilntny : 9th August 2014 at 20:30.
Old 9th August 2014, 22:31   #18789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
I use Settle Up on Android and windows and I personally love it. I dont know if its there on iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka46 View Post
You can also try Splitwise.
Thanks a lot guys, both work really well.

@Everyone : My friend bought some Xiomi MI3 phone and put up his experience here.

Also, he says this 'MI Note' is worth waiting for.

Hope it helps.
Old 9th August 2014, 22:41   #18790
Senior - BHPian

Does any one know what - http://www.xiaomiworld.com/ is?

If so cant we just buy it from here? What is the catch?
Old 10th August 2014, 01:32   #18791
Senior - BHPian

For those wondering about zenfone camera? Here's a link comparing it with xiaomi note but its overall a good set of images to compare with!
http://www.soyacincau.com/2014/07/10...and-zenfone-5/

Last edited by phamilyman : 10th August 2014 at 01:36.
Old 10th August 2014, 08:29   #18792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Immediately went ahead and bought it. Purchase went through fine and expected delivery date is 16th Aug (Delivery is to Kerala).
Congrats on the buy. Its becoming a bit of Playwin kind of purchase for the Zen & Mi3 phones on the Flipkart.

I got the phone y'day. Flipkart's unparalled delivery brought a smile on the face, booked on 7th, delivered on 9th. Wonder why Flipkart sent the delivery delay messages. Now I have the task of converting my normal SIM to MicroSim.
Old 10th August 2014, 09:34   #18793
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Does any one know what - http://www.xiaomiworld.com/ is?

If so cant we just buy it from here? What is the catch?
It's much much cheaper at Flipkart.
Old 11th August 2014, 16:52   #18794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Are you able to format the card on the device or the PC? Also how old is the card?
Issue solved. The phone was infected

Thanks and sorry for the very late reply!
Old 11th August 2014, 17:05   #18795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I got the phone y'day. Flipkart's unparalled delivery brought a smile on the face, booked on 7th, delivered on 9th.
Congratulations

We should expect a small detailed review on Zenfone 5 from you.

Most Viewed