Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2014, 08:21   #18766
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Since there is no real hope of getting the MI3, I spent time researching and reading reviews on the Zenfone and I feel it is a good phone and definitely worth it. Going to buy it for my sister
My office colleague has the Zenfone 5 and its good looking phone plus the performance is the best. I played a couple of fast moving games and there was absolutely no lag. The voice clarity is great. In all a good VFM buy. Has been on my list on the top ever since I lost my Galaxy grand.

Mi3 sales stumped me for a while. I had registered for the buy and before I could blink, it was out of stock. 15K phones sold at 14K price means Flipkart earned 21 crores. If 6 secs was all it tok to go out of stock then the cash earned per sec is whopping 3.5 crore. I have asked my Oil & gas co employer to shut shop and start a mobile business.
Old 7th August 2014, 08:42   #18767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
15K phones sold at 14K price means Flipkart earned 21 crores. If 6 secs was all it tok to go out of stock then the cash earned per sec is whopping 3.5 crore. I have asked my Oil & gas co employer to shut shop and start a mobile business.
Bwahahahaha, I just couldn't resist quoting the ironic joke there. Classic!
Old 7th August 2014, 11:10   #18768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Since there is no real hope of getting the MI3, I spent time researching and reading reviews on the Zenfone and I feel it is a good phone and definitely worth it. BTW, I see Zenfone 5 also out of stock on Flipkart? Is it available directly through ASUS stores?
Quote:
My office colleague has the Zenfone 5 and its good looking phone plus the performance is the best. I played a couple of fast moving games and there was absolutely no lag. The voice clarity is great. In all a good VFM buy.
Thanks for the feedback, Rajiv and ghodlur. When i checked yesterday morning, the Zenfone 5 was in stock and now it's gone.

What is happening with flipkart?

I am also wondering since the specs are the same between the zenfone 5, does the price difference between the colours make sense? I am not able to decide on the color. Black looks neat while champagne gold has that exclusive touch and look to it but does it look girly?
Old 7th August 2014, 11:20   #18769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
When i checked yesterday morning, the Zenfone 5 was in stock and now it's gone.

Are you sure? It has been my morning ritual to check Flipkart for Zen phone 5 since the past 4 days. I surely cant have missed it. Unless Flipkart has done some Houdini act for the phone. The Black looks too harsh, Gold is gaudish. There isnt any with subtle colour.

I think Flipkart is into cartelization of products being sold. A Nice tie up with OEM to a certain % of the sales is sure to make the Bansals the next Zuckerberg. The bad part is the trend is catching with other retailers and half of Chinese models get sold in India. Where's the orignality?
Old 7th August 2014, 11:26   #18770
BHPian

Thanks for the tips, Sunyboi.Fast download.Just now installed it. Right now looking for Sat location.
I will reset A-GPS soon after this.
Old 7th August 2014, 11:36   #18771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am also wondering since the specs are the same between the zenfone 5, does the price difference between the colours make sense? I am not able to decide on the color. Black looks neat while champagne gold has that exclusive touch and look to it but does it look girly?
Prices actually do not vary according to color. You may have seen higher prices for different colors for those pieces sold by another seller 'fair deal' and not flipkart's own seller 'WS retail'.

If you have observed, irrespective of the phone color, the front portion of the phone remains entirely black. So if you are not happy with gold, there is always an option to buy a back cover of your color choice later.
Old 7th August 2014, 11:50   #18772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, Rajiv and ghodlur. When i checked yesterday morning, the Zenfone 5 was in stock and now it's gone.

I think it was in stock from a different seller who is trying to make some extra profit.

From going through a bunch of comments in the Asus India FB page, what i understood that it will be available again in 2nd week of August.
Old 7th August 2014, 18:01   #18773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When i checked yesterday morning, the Zenfone 5 was in stock and now it's gone.
Quote:
It has been my morning ritual to check Flipkart for Zen phone 5 since the past 4 days.
Lady luck smiled in the afternoon today. Saw the Asus Zenphone 5 A501CG (Red with 8 GB) available on Flipkart. White and Black were seen still Out of Stock. Hence ordered the Red one instantly. The order upon placed showed delivery date of 12th August. But immediately recd second SMS from Flipkart saying the delivery will be delayed by 7 days. Is this FlipKartish way of delivery?
Old 7th August 2014, 18:18   #18774
Senior - BHPian

To the best of my knowledge (and i may be wrong here, so please correct me if have understood it completely wrong)

Between the asus zenfone and the xiaomi mi3.

The asus uses the intel based processors that run on fixed clock speeds while the snapdragon is ARM based processor that can vary clock speeds based on application being used.

For the end user -> Asus may be having a very bad battery life with that Atom processor running at fixed clock speeds all the time, while the xiaomi can peacefully sleep at lower clock speeds thus conserving battery.

Last edited by govigov : 7th August 2014 at 18:22.
Old 7th August 2014, 19:52   #18775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
For the end user -> Asus may be having a very bad battery life with that Atom processor running at fixed clock speeds all the time, while the xiaomi can peacefully sleep at lower clock speeds thus conserving battery.
My Mi3 consumes battery at the rate of about 0.6%/hr during Deep Sleep which WA/FB/Gtalk sync and WiFi on all the time which I must say is very very good. Would be interesting to know this reading for Zenphone.
Old 7th August 2014, 20:36   #18776
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My office colleague has the Zenfone 5 and its good looking phone plus the performance is the best. I played a couple of fast moving games and there was absolutely no lag. The voice clarity is great. In all a good VFM buy. Has been on my list on the top ever since I lost my Galaxy grand.

Mi3 sales stumped me for a while. I had registered for the buy and before I could blink, it was out of stock. 15K phones sold at 14K price means Flipkart earned 21 crores. If 6 secs was all it tok to go out of stock then the cash earned per sec is whopping 3.5 crore. I have asked my Oil & gas co employer to shut shop and start a mobile business.
Thanks for the inputs. On the MI3, am pretty sure Flipkart has some internal algorithm which decides who gets lucky. One key thing they when they send the reminder email for the sale is that it is preferable to be logged in and on the site 2-3 hours before the sale. I see no reason for that apart from Flipkart wanting to track who is really serious and is continuously logged in. They can then use that info to pre-allot phones, ensure the site does not crash and generate further hype on the phone getting sold out in 2 seconds, 5 seconds etc.. Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Lady luck smiled in the afternoon today. Saw the Asus Zenphone 5 A501CG (Red with 8 GB) available on Flipkart. White and Black were seen still Out of Stock. Hence ordered the Red one instantly. The order upon placed showed delivery date of 12th August. But immediately recd second SMS from Flipkart saying the delivery will be delayed by 7 days. Is this FlipKartish way of delivery?
Its all now out of stock. As per Asus FB page, they say the phones will be back in stock in Aug 2nd week. That seems to be in line with the message you got. They may have updated the in stock message by mistake. IN any case now you are assured of a phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
My Mi3 consumes battery at the rate of about 0.6%/hr during Deep Sleep which WA/FB/Gtalk sync and WiFi on all the time which I must say is very very good. Would be interesting to know this reading for Zenphone.
Don't think the Zenfone can compare to the MI3. I think Zenfone's battery backup will be typical of most android phones. Lasts a full day on moderate usage. On the other hand have been very impressed with the MI3. It is lasting 2.5 days with few calls, whatsapp and other basic usage. Wifi, Data, WhatApp, FB, Corporate email, gmail are all on and on auto sync.

Also like the option where I can chose which apps can use wifi, data, both or neither. The battery app also has the option to switch to marathon mode for a specific time daily (eg: 10PM to 6am). During this time it will automatically switch off data and WiFi. The full sleep mode will switch off everything except alarm. Have not seen such level of customization in the Samsung/Sony mid range phones I have owned.
Old 8th August 2014, 08:01   #18777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats not good news then. With a battery of 2110 mAH capacity I expect a days's charge to be retained at the minimum. Also Mi3 battery capacity being 3000 mAH is surely bound to last longer than the Asus.

The only con of the Asus battery is that it cant be replaced with a higher capacity battery since the battery is unremovable. Just wondering if by any chance the phone hangs, how does one reset it.?
Old 8th August 2014, 08:46   #18778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge (and i may be wrong here, so please correct me if have understood it completely wrong)

Between the asus zenfone and the xiaomi mi3.

The asus uses the intel based processors that run on fixed clock speeds while the snapdragon is ARM based processor that can vary clock speeds based on application being used.

Quote:
Thats not good news then. With a battery of 2110 mAH capacity I expect a days's charge to be retained at the minimum. Also Mi3 battery capacity being 3000 mAH is surely bound to last longer than the Asus.

The only con of the Asus battery is that it cant be replaced with a higher capacity battery since the battery is unremovable. Just wondering if by any chance the phone hangs, how does one reset it.?
FYI - all mobile processors are supposed to be under-clockable. Here's a quick 30 sec google.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Atom/I...m%20Z2560.html
rest check around on xda before deciding!

here's a tablet comparison showing it better than ARM Tegra3 processors
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-arm,3387.html
Old 8th August 2014, 10:18   #18779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Power button along with volume up button pressed together for few seconds will soft reset the phone. I think this is a standard way for all phones (even with removable batteries)
Old 8th August 2014, 13:58   #18780
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think this is the case. How can Intel design such a processor which is so inefficient to run at the highest clock speed all the time? Also, battery life will be close to nothing if processor is running at highest clock speed all the time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks