Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2014, 12:47   #18661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Has anyone here used the Moto E? Its in stock on flipkart. Need a basic smartphone with very basic usage comprising mostly of calls and whatsapp and occasional internet browsing. The dual sim option and the compact dimensions is an added advantage. Or should I go for the Moto G since budget is flexible.
I use Moto G while my dad uses Moto E. Both the phone are great in their own respect and the main difference is in gaming performance (I play modern combat 4 on moto g) and the fixed focus camera of the moto E is best avoided. Otherwise the phone is lag free does not hang and normal WhatsApp and Facebook is handled very easily. Dual Sim works well and 4gb internal (2.22 gb available) ensures that downloading apps (not very graphic intensive ones) is also a piece of cake. The phone is highly recommended. I got both the phones on the launch day itself and am very satisfied.
Old 28th July 2014, 12:54   #18662
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Guys,

A Quick question. Is the Asus ZenFone 4 available in stores or FK only? I am travelling abroad this Thursday & needed a spare "smartphone" to be carried along and i feel Asus ZenFone 4 is a decent VFM @ 6k. It has a front facing camera which will help me with skype calls etc.

I called up FK and they said that Asus ZenFone 4 isn't available in faster delivery option and earliest they can deliver to me in Ahmedabad is 4th Aug.

Other option is Moto E, but lack of front facing camera is holding me back and again same issue with delivery from FK

Standard Delivery by Tue, 5th Aug [?]
FREE
Faster Delivery not available

Thanks.

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 28th July 2014 at 12:55.
Old 28th July 2014, 13:37   #18663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

So in my observation same device with original software was fast enough but with all the load of latest updates ( OS + Applications) I see flicker on screen and general slowdown after 3 years of usage.

Compared to this there were very little changes in software of Omnia.
Yes, there were 4-5 software updates in my Omnia had and last major one being 7.8 but there was hardly any changes in software department may be something to do with control of Microsoft, not very sure if they had any role in controlling the alterations made in software updates released by manufacturers.

On other hand every time there is an update (under the name stability improvements) on my Grand Quattro i fear something weird will happen after update.
Old 28th July 2014, 19:33   #18664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
OK. So Mi3 is getting weaker signal at the same location. It may be related to the baseband of the phone or with the antenna of the device itself.
An update on this. Asked another Mi3 owner to test who had CHD. He too confirmed this. So it appears, CHD just had a better antenna

---------------------------------------------------------

But what a phone. Seriously could not find a single fault with this. The rear camera too is quite good. Certainly better than MotoG

Last edited by akshay380 : 28th July 2014 at 19:34.
Old 28th July 2014, 20:14   #18665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
An update on this. Asked another Mi3 owner to test who had CHD. He too confirmed this. So it appears, CHD just had a better antenna

But what a phone. Seriously could not find a single fault with this. The rear camera too is quite good. Certainly better than MotoG
The other owner has the baseband as yours. We cannot conclude that the antenna is weak.
Old 28th July 2014, 20:17   #18666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Forget the antenna specs for a minute. How is the call quality, either in terms of feel (bad audio) or number of call drops/out of coverage area etc?

My S3 always shows good signal strength. but call quality / data availability is nothing much to write about. This is what i saw for ten straight minutes this friday!
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20140725-19.05.54.png

EDIT
Quote:
The other owner has the baseband as yours. We cannot conclude that the antenna is weak.
Help us all understand this better. I don't understand mobile antennae at all. I think that the signal strength should be an objective parameter, no? What does base band have to do with this?

Last edited by phamilyman : 28th July 2014 at 20:19.
Old 28th July 2014, 20:32   #18667
Distinguished - BHPian

Flipkart had come out with a new process for the next xiaomi mi3 sale tomorrow. Recommend to login 2 hrs before the start of sale (which is at 2pm). Then one sale starts you need to just 'reserve' it. Post 6pm they will get it added to your cart and send you an email. You then have till end of Wednesday to complete purchase. Looks like it is a plan to ensure the site does not crash. On the other hand, I think it will go out of stock sooner.
Old 28th July 2014, 20:34   #18668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Forget the antenna specs for a minute. How is the call quality, either in terms of feel (bad audio) or number of call drops/out of coverage area etc?
Does not hurt my ears at all. No call drops till now. I have never tried Nexus/Sony/SS phones My benchmarks are Canvas HD and MotoG. Certainly better than that.

Phone went from 100% to 11% over 1d and 5hrs with below stats. Not bad! and if they manage to improve screen power consumption, another hour or so of screen is very much possible.

Network Mode: 3G Preferred
Power mode: Balanced
Rooted and greenified most apps
Auto Brightness. Limit set at 40%
Wifi On: 99% of the time
Screen on time: 5hrs, 52 minutes
Charge remaining: 11%
--------------------------------------------------
Usage:
Calls: 15 minutes
Browsing/Facebook/WA: 5hrs
Real Racing 3: 15 minutes
FM Radio: 30 minutes
Camera: 5 minutes
Battery discharge in Deep Sleep: 0.6%/hour
Old 29th July 2014, 00:50   #18669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Flipkart had come out with a new process for the next xiaomi mi3 sale tomorrow. Recommend to login 2 hrs before the start of sale (which is at 2pm). Then one sale starts you need to just 'reserve' it. Post 6pm they will get it added to your cart and send you an email. You then have till end of Wednesday to complete purchase. Looks like it is a plan to ensure the site does not crash. On the other hand, I think it will go out of stock sooner.
Hate all these games. I suppose that when all the hype has died down it will be just a normal purchase.
Old 29th July 2014, 07:06   #18670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hate all these games. I suppose that when all the hype has died down it will be just a normal purchase.
Let's look at it from both sides - FK and yours.

Its not a game for FK. FK went down during Moto g / moto E and now in MI3 launch times, in spite of investment in system upgrades - potentially losing other business too. If this reservation helps avoid the massive clog (a la IRCTC), then so be it.

As a business owner, its an elegant way to avoid investing crores for a sudden unpredictable surge. Why change hardware when you can incentivize behavioral change?

How would you deal with it, if you were the CEO of FK?

Having said that, i agree with your pov as well - the end outcome is rather painful. A customer needn't have to do so much just to buy a darned phone.
Old 29th July 2014, 07:47   #18671
BHPian

Quote:
Let's look at it from both sides - FK and yours.

Its not a game for FK. FK went down during Moto g / moto E and now in MI3 launch times, in spite of investment in system upgrades - potentially losing other business too. If this reservation helps avoid the massive clog (a la IRCTC), then so be it.

As a business owner, its an elegant way to avoid investing crores for a sudden unpredictable surge. Why change hardware when you can incentivize behavioral change?

How would you deal with it, if you were the CEO of FK?

Having said that, i agree with your pov as well - the end outcome is rather painful. A customer needn't have to do so much just to buy a darned phone.
Per my friends in Singapore and China who have bought Mi3, this thing is witnessed there too where Xiaomi sells via their own site.
Old 29th July 2014, 08:56   #18672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My S3 always shows good signal strength. but call quality / data availability is nothing much to write about. This is what i saw for ten straight minutes this friday!
Attachment 1267411

EDIT

Help us all understand this better. I don't understand mobile antennae at all. I think that the signal strength should be an objective parameter, no? What does base band have to do with this?
All android devices come with a base band, you can go to setting about phone and you will see a value for base band. Typically its an algorithm which controls the antenna of the phone and selects the network. So the signal strength and other parameters are controlled by this algorithm called base band.
Even recently Google released a new base band for Nexus 5 devices in Australia, Newzealand and India.

Quote:

Phone went from 100% to 11% over 1d and 5hrs with below stats. Not bad! and if they manage to improve screen power consumption, another hour or so of screen is very much possible.

Network Mode: 3G Preferred
Power mode: Balanced
Rooted and greenified most apps
Auto Brightness. Limit set at 40%
Wifi On: 99% of the time
Screen on time: 5hrs, 52 minutes
Charge remaining: 11%
--------------------------------------------------
Usage:
Calls: 15 minutes
Browsing/Facebook/WA: 5hrs
Real Racing 3: 15 minutes
FM Radio: 30 minutes
Camera: 5 minutes
Battery discharge in Deep Sleep: 0.6%/hour
What was your location setting ? Was it set to OFF ? which version of google play services is the device running.

Last edited by F150 : 29th July 2014 at 09:03.
Old 29th July 2014, 09:24   #18673
BHPian

Quote:
What was your location setting ? Was it set to OFF ? which version of google play services is the device running.
Which location setting you mean sir? I have denied positioning data to some apps like fb/google search etc. Play store version is 4.8.20
Old 29th July 2014, 09:38   #18674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which location setting you mean sir? I have denied positioning data to some apps like fb/google search etc. Play store version is 4.8.20
Settings->Personal->Location.

I was asking about google play services not play store.
Old 29th July 2014, 09:40   #18675
BHPian

Quote:
Settings->Personal->Location.

I was asking about google play services not play store.
Sorry. Location access is ON. Services version 5.0.84(1259630-038)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks