Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2014, 15:45   #20161
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
After updating my Nexus 4 to 5.0.1 lots of apps have stopped working. Even whatsapp, skype, google play have stoped working. Tried re installing whatsapp but am getting an error code "-504". :(. Has anyone else faced similar problem and has a solution to it.

Regards
Kiran
Did you use the OTA or did you clean flash?

If it was through OTA, try clearing the system cache, solves most problems.
Old 21st December 2014, 21:01   #20162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
Did you use the OTA or did you clean flash?

If it was through OTA, try clearing the system cache, solves most problems.
I updated through OTA.
I have cleaned the cache hardly 11.0MB is used and there more than 3.63GB of Internal memory available however I am getting a message saying storage space is running out

Kiran
Old 21st December 2014, 21:07   #20163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
I updated through OTA.
I have cleaned the cache hardly 11.0MB is used and there more than 3.63GB of Internal memory available however I am getting a message saying storage space is running out

Kiran
Not that cache, I was talking about system cache.

Follow this guide from Android Central:

Quote:
The cache partition on your device is a good place to store data that you'll need frequently. We store images there in the Android Central app, because it makes no sense to have you download the same thumbnail over and over. Most applications use the cache, as does the Android system itself.

Data cached from a different version of the OS than the one you're using now could cause issues. You can go through the apps section in the device settings and clear each item by hand, or you can boot to recovery and clear the entire partition at once. I recommend the latter.

You do this from the device recovery. Getting there is done differently on each manufacturer's platform, but for Nexus devices the process goes as such:

Power off your device.
Hold volume down and power until you see a screen like the one pictured above.
Press volume down until the word Recovery appears in red letters, then press power to reboot into recovery
Once in recovery (a bugdroid on his back with his stomach exposed), hold power then press volume up to get the menu. Use the volume down key to navigate the menu until the erase cache partition entry is highlighted. Press the power button to erase the cache.

This is said to fix stability and lag issues, especially on Nexus devices (the Nexus 7 2013 in particular). It may or may not fix any of your issues, but it is fairly easy to do and won't erase anything on your Android.
Hope it helps.
Old 22nd December 2014, 01:22   #20164
BHPian

Nipam Shah,

Tried but the issue still persists. Understand even with factory reset the problem has not got solved. I checked with Android central they recommend to flash factory images. Looking out for easier options.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...0-1-5-0-a.html

Thanks
Kiran
Old 22nd December 2014, 08:46   #20165
Senior - BHPian

Guys, help please.

Nexus 5 was working fine on 5.0.1. My stupid mind wanted to get rid of the lags that happen sometimes in the phone. Decided to wipe the cache partition.

Now the phone is stuck in Wiping Cache/Formatting Cache mode for the past 15 minutes. Apparently this task takes only seconds to be complete.

Any help on this will be a relief to me. Right now phone is a glass block.

Edit: just posting on Team-BHP solved matters.

It came back to the recovery mode and allowed me to reboot the system. Posting this from my mobile

All is well!!!

Last edited by SchumiFan : 22nd December 2014 at 09:00.
Old 22nd December 2014, 09:23   #20166
Senior - BHPian

Nexus 5 had an update and this fixes the wifi problem. Its now cleanly picking up signals and is connected to both frequency without any issues.

There isnt much that comes out as a change but the only wifi issue seems to be resolved.
Old 22nd December 2014, 09:52   #20167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Guys, help please.

Nexus 5 was working fine on 5.0.1. My stupid mind wanted to get rid of the lags that happen sometimes in the phone. Decided to wipe the cache partition.

Now the phone is stuck in Wiping Cache/Formatting Cache mode for the past 15 minutes. Apparently this task takes only seconds to be complete.

Any help on this will be a relief to me. Right now phone is a glass block.

Edit: just posting on Team-BHP solved matters.

It came back to the recovery mode and allowed me to reboot the system. Posting this from my mobile

All is well!!!
No it does not take seconds. It can take anywhere between 5 minutes to, in some cases, even half an hour.
Old 22nd December 2014, 09:55   #20168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Nexus 5 had an update and this fixes the wifi problem. Its now cleanly picking up signals and is connected to both frequency without any issues.

There isnt much that comes out as a change but the only wifi issue seems to be resolved.
My biggest concern with Lollipop is the battery life. The screen on time is hardly 2.5 hours which is way too low even considering the fact that Nexus 5 has a relatively small battery. Just goes to show that creating an efficient system is no child's play and even Google with all its programming might isnt up to the job. Makes me appreciate my iPhone even more. My supposedly ancient 3 year old iPhone 4s is running fine on iOS 8 and has better battery life than Nexus 5 even with its tiny 14xx mah battery.
Old 22nd December 2014, 10:43   #20169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
No it does not take seconds. It can take anywhere between 5 minutes to, in some cases, even half an hour.
I referred to this article (http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...tion-wipe.html) which explained it with the pics. The process was exactly the same and since it said the task will only take seconds to complete, I panicked.

Either way, it is all set now. No noticeable difference but maybe it will improve as time passes by.

That said, I have seen an improved in battery life post Lollipop upgrade. Mainly it is evident on having 3G data connection switched on.

It now drains at a more respectable rate and the battery saver program helps extend the life of the mobile before it runs out of juice.

Another reason for N5's poor performance could be the display. It is a 1080 pixel display compared to the lesser ones on previous gen iPhones.
Old 22nd December 2014, 11:00   #20170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My supposedly ancient 3 year old iPhone 4s is running fine on iOS 8 and has better battery life than Nexus 5 even with its tiny 14xx mah battery
Can you elaborate on screen on time. i get around 4 hours and thats like great coz thats almost a days time for me overall.

I dont expect the phone to give me more than a day. My S5 gives me max 1 day.

Not supporting nexus, but i own the nexus for a completely different reason. Its the OS which i love it.
Old 22nd December 2014, 12:54   #20171
Senior - BHPian

Got my G3 updated to lollipop. Figuring out the changes
Old 22nd December 2014, 15:51   #20172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Can you elaborate on screen on time. i get around 4 hours and thats like great coz thats almost a days time for me overall.

I dont expect the phone to give me more than a day. My S5 gives me max 1 day.

Not supporting nexus, but i own the nexus for a completely different reason. Its the OS which i love it.
Last recharge gave me 1.45 hrs before the battery went down to 17%
Old 22nd December 2014, 16:24   #20173
BANNED

Is it OK to interchange the wall chargers of a Nexus 7 2012 tablet and a Moto E phone?
i.e. charge one device with the charger of the other?
Old 22nd December 2014, 16:47   #20174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Trying out HERE Maps for Android, and it works well. Does anyone know how to make the map-view 'persistent' without keeping the screen permanently on?

Let me explain: When navigating with G-Maps, I can turn the screen off and continue to use voice navigation, and turning the screen back on takes me right back to map-view, bypassing the screen-lock. With HERE, I need to unlock my screen in the same scenario every time I toggle the screen on/off (voice-nav continues to work though), which is an irritant esp. on longer drives where there are long stretches where map-view isn't really required and voice-nav is sufficient.

Any ideas how to get past this? Is it even possible?
Any help with this query please?
Old 22nd December 2014, 17:56   #20175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Is it OK to interchange the wall chargers of a Nexus 7 2012 tablet and a Moto E phone?
i.e. charge one device with the charger of the other?
You can use either charger. Moto E might charge faster with Nexus 7 charger.

Usually larger devices will have better chargers, because larger devices tend to have larger batteries.

Quote:
A PC USB port delivers 2.5 Watts of power (5 volts at 500 mA). An iPhone charger delivers 5 Watts (5 volts at 1000 mA). A Retina iPad mini charger delivers 10 watts (5.1 volts at 2100 mA).

While all of these will charge your iPad, using the USB connected to a PC will charge your Retina mini four times slower than if you used the iPad charger it came with. Conversely, if you use the iPad charger for your iPhone, it’d charge up faster than normal.
http://lifehacker.com/pay-attention-...adg-1492446246

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks