Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2015, 14:30   #20911
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Read a couple of weeks back that all the models from the Micromax Canvas range are going to get the Android 5.0 update. Anyone have any ideas on the timeline for this update for the phone models. I've got a Canvas Knight A350, so even a date for this release will be nice.
Old 17th March 2015, 14:44   #20912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
And literally, Its first time I am hearing that someone is avoiding one of Google's service and using some other service just to keep things more secure and private.
Really?

I studiously avoid getting scooped up into google+, and I struggle to keep my "old" youtube identity. The thing I hate the most is that google has details of one of my bank cards, but... if I want to buy apps, which I do, there doesn't seem too much choice on that.

Yes, it is a bit of a love/hate thing with google, Android, etc, and the whole google heap is, to me, simply the lesser of two or three evils. And yes, I'd find it hard to live without them.

I haven't looked at Hangouts. Probably not much point, as my friends and family use Whatsapp. I don't know how successful Hangouts is: if it doesn't meet whatever targets Google may have, they'll drop it. Maybe that will never happen, but if it turns into a race to the death (mixed metaphor alert!) then my money is on Whatsapp.
Old 17th March 2015, 14:51   #20913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good to learn that such productive activities are also being held on WhatsApp but question is longevity of the WhatsApp service usage and how long the other growing services like Hike etc gonna take to occupy WhatsApp's current place?
1. WhatsApp has 700 million active users
2. India has the largest number of WhatsApp users (70 million)
3. WhatsApp is backed-up by financial muscles of Facebook

So, even if some other service topples WhatsApp, it would have the same "Network Effect" advantage that WhatsApp has.

Quote:
Just imagine any platform independent service like Hangouts being used for such activities then how much easier and versatile it will become to access the information shared in such groups.
WhatsApp runs on more platforms than HangOut. That is one of the reasons of huge userbase. Even a cheap Symbian S40 phone or BlackBerry 6/7 phone can run WhatsApp.

Hangout on the other hand is primarily limited to Android.

List of supported platforms : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WhatsApp
Old 17th March 2015, 17:57   #20914
BHPian

Guys currently I am using LG G3. Planning to sell it and buy a new phone. Confused between Samsung Galaxy S5 and Sony Xperia Z2. Please tell which one would be a better buy. I have used both phones for a short time but I am really confused.
Old 17th March 2015, 19:11   #20915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Guys currently I am using LG G3. Planning to sell it and buy a new phone. Confused between Samsung Galaxy S5 and Sony Xperia Z2. Please tell which one would be a better buy. I have used both phones for a short time but I am really confused.
G3, S5 and Z2 are in the same specs range. Unless you're facing problems with the G3, doesn't make sense to get S5/ Z2.
Old 17th March 2015, 19:14   #20916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
G3, S5 and Z2 are in the same specs range. Unless you're facing problems with the G3, doesn't make sense to get S5/ Z2.
Thanks for reply. There is no problem in G3. Just want a change.
Old 17th March 2015, 19:15   #20917
BHPian

Anyone registering for the Redmi2 sale on FK on 24th? I'm thinking if I should wait for the 2GBRAM, 16GB ROM Redmi2 variant - if it ever comes out.

I think Mi's getting rid of their 1GB stock before they release the newer version of the phone.
Old 17th March 2015, 19:31   #20918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Hi all is there any app that can measure the current received from the charger? Bought a Sony USB charger and would like to know the difference in power supplied by the new one compared to stock charger of old Moto G and Xolo. TIA
Try Ampere. Check to see if your phone is supported.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...v.ampere&hl=en
Old 17th March 2015, 19:35   #20919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Thanks for reply. There is no problem in G3. Just want a change.
Personally, I prefer sony phones over samsung (in terms of looks). I own a Z2. Let me know if you have any query.
Old 18th March 2015, 09:54   #20920
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Whats the status with Lolipo on Moto G 1st gen? I am in Australia and using the 1st Gen Moto G bought from US. I am on KitKat 4.4.4 and getting a message "Your device is upto date" when checking for updates.

What are the reviews like for the Lolipop on Moto G anyways?

Regards,
Old 18th March 2015, 10:28   #20921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

Whats the status with Lolipo on Moto G 1st gen? I am in Australia and using the 1st Gen Moto G bought from US. I am on KitKat 4.4.4 and getting a message "Your device is upto date" when checking for updates.

What are the reviews like for the Lolipop on Moto G anyways?

Regards,
The lollipop update has been received in India and Europe so far, I think.

The update generally looks nice, all new swoopy and slidy animations everywhere. Battery life has improved.

That said, there are some bugs here and there,like the phone app, which has become terribly laggy.
Old 18th March 2015, 11:26   #20922
Senior - BHPian

Ref my concern about S3 not being able to take shots really quickly.
forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4/471137-note-4-camera-moving-objects-i-e-kids.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...amsung-s5.html

I guess I'll have to move to an iPhone only. Damn all this fancy OIS and everything else if I can't take a shot of my son nicely!
Here's how it happens - EVERY single time:
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-aarav2.jpg
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-aarav3.jpg

no points for guessing which is my son and which is my friend's!

Surprised people don't talk about it here, or they have obedient / well behaved kids who know how to pose! :(
Old 18th March 2015, 11:39   #20923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
The lollipop update has been received in India and Europe so far, I think.

The update generally looks nice, all new swoopy and slidy animations everywhere. Battery life has improved.

That said, there are some bugs here and there,like the phone app, which has become terribly laggy.
So that means I am not really missing out a lot. I am super happy with my Moto G running on KitKat 4.4.4.

Also by far Moto G has been the longest run phone in my phone history. Using it since it was launched in Dec 2013.

Regards,
Old 18th March 2015, 12:20   #20924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I guess I'll have to move to an iPhone only. Damn all this fancy OIS and everything else if I can't take a shot of my son nicely!
What is the ISO and shutter speed of this picture? iPhone and other newer phones might be better for this scenario if they have a better sensor and can bump up the ISO (hence the shutter speed).

This scene would be a challenge for even bigger sensor of mid-range DSLRs, a different phone might or might no do significantly better.

OIS will obviously be useless here.
Old 18th March 2015, 12:46   #20925
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Ref my concern about S3 not being able to take shots really quickly.......
I have an S3 too and I'm no fan of it, but I believe its camera is equal to or better than a few newer and more expensive phones. I get your frustration, but I don't think it's a limitation of this phone alone, most mid-range devices (even some flagships) will struggle in this scenario to get a near-perfect shot. You're probably expecting a bit too much from a phone

Quote:
Surprised people don't talk about it here, or they have obedient / well behaved kids who know how to pose! :(
I don't have a kid myself, but my almost 4-yr old niece is no different, and it's almost impossible to get a good posed pic. We've just made peace with the fact that we'll have to make do with candid shots taken on the sly until she grows older and honestly, lack of pictures is a small price to pay compared to throttling an active kid's enthusiasm. You just need to work around it.

Most Viewed