@klubclass,

https://market.android.com/details?id=lv.n3o.lcddensity
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 07:27   #5162
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratos11 View Post
Tried my best to persist with X10 but finally gave up.I was a Iphone basher all this while but having used it for 1 month made me change opinion.
Android has a long way to go in terms of stability & battery life.
heh. its okay. iphone4 is iphone4 - though the battery life difference is not that much (with 4 iphone4s in my friends' circle, 2 SGS2 and 1 Sensation) - if well used, all of them die well within a day! ALL of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post

I waited for nearly 30 odd minutes to see if the phone boots on its own or not.
Further I had rooted my phone using Z4Root during the initial days itself. That said, warranty is out of question.
Dude, two things:
a. Depending upon the phone model/level of bricking u do - don't spend >2-3 min in the boot loop. It drains battery slowly and on some phones/custom ROMs if the battery dies in such a state then you need to do some circus to get it back. esp if battery was low to begin with.
b. Almost all phones can be unrooted if a reliable root procedure is there. So don't bother about the absence of warranty courtesy rooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Guys, need some opinions. I am deciding between S2 and HTC Sensation. S2 has everything i want but HTC has everything i need!
S2 build is too cheap for my taste. Also Touch Wiz is not to my liking. Having used HTC Desire HD in office, i am hooked onto HTC Sense big time. So i am comparing HTC Sensation and Samsung S2.
a. Its like saying whether 250 bhp or 320 bhp is good enough for Indian roads. Boss, it doesn't matter - 36 bhp bhi chalega.
b. Between them, the average man is not going to run benchmarking apps all the time - for all practical day to day apps, they are already too fast and are practically lag free.
c. So the remainder is how the UI and the phone feels. That is your call. If you like the sensation, power to you. A friend brought it over yesterday - I QUITE liked the piece - felt that much nicer unlike the SGS2 which didn't feel all that good in the hand and the Sense UI looked more beautiful out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
I successfully bricked and unbricked my LG Optimus One P500. To say it was a helluva experience would be an understatement.

And I can never thank these guys* enough for their pointers. Thanks again, my friends.

I had tried the first 3 procedures even before posting my query here. But, it was the 4th procedure which helped me unbrick my phone!
What you now need to do is document your experience - here and on XDA. Why your phone went into soft-brick, what did you do? Any anxious moments? Current status etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
is there any app which can measure how much we walked or run or bike?

Is it possible without GPS?
http://www.appbrain.com/app/sportstracker-%28by-stl%29/com.sportstracklive.android.ui.activity.lite

that pedometer thing doesn't work for cycling for instance. I don't know such phones today - and even that sony phone was grossly inaccurate - we used to play with it while in office and try to fool it

Last edited by GTO : 29th July 2011 at 17:10. Reason: Best to avoid words like bloody as other members find it offensive
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 08:15   #5163
BHPian

hi guys please help me,
I got my SGS2 from letsbuy yesterday. the seal on the box from samsung was torn when I got it. Initially I thought they opened it to seal the warranty card, which they haven't. Also one sticker on the side of the box (IMEI number copy I guess) is missing. Am I sold a lemon by them. I am very worried. Being a noob to android, is there a way to know whether the phone has been used before?
Old 28th July 2011, 08:43   #5164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
hi guys please help me,
I got my SGS2 from letsbuy yesterday. the seal on the box from samsung was torn when I got it. Initially I thought they opened it to seal the warranty card, which they haven't. Also one sticker on the side of the box (IMEI number copy I guess) is missing. Am I sold a lemon by them. I am very worried. Being a noob to android, is there a way to know whether the phone has been used before?
Is there any problem with the phone itself?
Was the android label present on the screen?
Are all the accessories (USB Chord, Charger, Ear phones, documents) inside?
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 08:48   #5165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Is there any problem with the phone itself?
Was the android label present on the screen?
Are all the accessories (USB Chord, Charger, Ear phones, documents) inside?
the label was present on the screen, but looked like it has been sticked again (front label is good, but back side had dust inside). All accessories are good. Got a warranty card and the phone asked me to activate through a google account. Also the uptime shown in the phone match with my use. But i was worried if reflasing can remove the previous trails?
Old 28th July 2011, 09:14   #5166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
http://www.appbrain.com/app/sportstracker-%28by-stl%29/com.sportstracklive.android.ui.activity.lite

that pedometer thing doesn't work for cycling for instance. I don't know such phones today - and even that sony phone was grossly inaccurate - we used to play with it while in office and try to fool it
the link you gave me redirects to 'save battery' page on xda for defy. sorry but i don't own a Defy. May be it was meant for someone else.

But thanks, i got the name from the title.

Last edited by chevelle : 28th July 2011 at 09:18.
Old 28th July 2011, 09:47   #5167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
... Also one sticker on the side of the box (IMEI number copy I guess) is missing.
Normally one sticker is removed by the shopkeeper and sent to the manufacturer. Can't comment on the broken seal though.
Old 28th July 2011, 11:23   #5168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil

Normally one sticker is removed by the shopkeeper and sent to the manufacturer. Can't comment on the broken seal though.
If the dealer has to take out one sticker, then he has to break the seal, right ? Sounds logical ?
Old 28th July 2011, 11:29   #5169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hey Invisible, Thanks for the above info. Really helped me understand a lot. Based on the above info, I wanted a lil more clarification.

Before we proceed I'd like to mention that I am running XXKG1 (2.3.4).

Now, I bumped into this thread ([25.07.2011][CF-Root v4.1] KE2/7/8, KF1/2/3/4, KG1/2/3 - su+bb+CWM4 - xda-developers) and looks like this Kernel from 'Chainfire' does all that you mentioned above. It seems to be Insecured, with Root/SuperUser, and CMW installed. 'Chainfire' graciously mentions that he has kept the ROM as close to Stock as possible (which is great for first-timers). I was wondering if I could use this Kernel (KG1 version) to skip some steps for rooting and CMW install? Is this a good option?

Please advise.

P.S: To be on the safer side I have kept a copy of the original XXKG1 on my system in case of any emergencies
That's just the kernal file and not the rom. The file will help in rooting the device matched to the Rom.
Follow the steps that I mentioned and you'l be good.

In regards to SGS2 with Litening Rom.

In regards to the battery performance of SGS2, I upgraded to Litening ROM from KG3. With KG3 I would easily get a day usage and in the night I would leave the phone on charge.
With the first full charge I managed to get 17 and half hour. With the second full charge,I am using the SetCpu. At screen off the CPU is down to 800mhz and set at time during sleep hour down to 500mhz. This morning I saw just 2 % battery drop in 8 hours of sleep with AOS showing 32%.
This is fantastic 2% power down in sleep mode of 8 hours is what I wasn't expecting. Currently loosing just 1% every one and half hour. Litening ROM is indeed worth it.
Invinsible is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 11:37   #5170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
If the dealer has to take out one sticker, then he has to break the seal, right ? Sounds logical ?
It would be if the seal is inside the box. It is on the outer cover. He need not break the seal for that.
Old 28th July 2011, 13:00   #5171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
the link you gave me redirects to 'save battery' page on xda for defy. sorry but i don't own a Defy. May be it was meant for someone else.

But thanks, i got the name from the title.
oh its okay. I pasted the same link twice (where i'd said circus!). Good you got the app name: Sportstracker just right
Old 28th July 2011, 16:42   #5172
BHPian

just rooted my SGSL on a whim.. now wondering what are the possibilities
Old 28th July 2011, 16:48   #5173
BHPian

Has the gingerbread arrived for the Samsung Galaxy SL?

Anvancy
Old 28th July 2011, 17:51   #5174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
That's just the kernal file and not the rom. The file will help in rooting the device matched to the Rom.
Follow the steps that I mentioned and you'l be good.

In regards to SGS2 with Litening Rom.

In regards to the battery performance of SGS2, I upgraded to Litening ROM from KG3. With KG3 I would easily get a day usage and in the night I would leave the phone on charge.
With the first full charge I managed to get 17 and half hour. With the second full charge,I am using the SetCpu. At screen off the CPU is down to 800mhz and set at time during sleep hour down to 500mhz. This morning I saw just 2 % battery drop in 8 hours of sleep with AOS showing 32%.
This is fantastic 2% power down in sleep mode of 8 hours is what I wasn't expecting. Currently loosing just 1% every one and half hour. Litening ROM is indeed worth it.
Thanks again for clarifying.

I got the un-secure KDD ROM installed, successfully used SuperOneClick to Root the phone. I'm now wondering how to install ClockWorkMod (CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KG1-v4.1-CWM4.tar), is it through ODIN (using PDA/PIT etc)?

Can you help me with the procedure?

Awaiting for your response.
Old 28th July 2011, 18:06   #5175
Senior - BHPian

Dudes,

No ROM for you guys except the UltimateSL one.

As for root:
titanium backup
shoot me
https://market.android.com/details?id=lv.n3o.lcddensity
droidwall
adfree
The Best Android Root Apps of 2011 (set CPU etc should be tried if u find net reports that its been working fine with other folks!)
The 10 Best Android Apps that Make Rooting Your Phone Worth the Hassle (similar)

You can remove the crapware put in by samsung via titanium backup as well.

Most Viewed