Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2011, 12:51   #5116
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
While I agree with Rohan on the primary functions of a cell phone, I am glad to know that call quality is good in Indian models.
How good is the speakerphone and the ring tone volume?

Can we hear the phone ringing in noisy environments?
How loud will it be if it is kept inside a ladies purse and the lady is in the market?

On another note, HTC phones with HTC Sense support a feature where the phone will sound louder while inside a bag and the volume will automatically reduce when the phone is taken out of the bag.
Is that feature part of Sense 2.5?
From engadget review-
Quote:
The speaker on the Galaxy Pro is surprisingly loud and performs pretty well -- as we first experienced when we loaded up Angry Birds Rio for a quick break from hard hitting tech news items. We also loaded up a couple of our favorite tracks, and were generally pleased with the sound quality. What the speaker lacks in bass power, it makes up for in mids and trebles; sounds didn't even get significantly muffled with the volume at full blast.

Call quality also seemed to be more than acceptable, with folks on the other end telling us that we were coming through loud and clear.
That other feature is of HTC Sense UI which is not there in Samsung Phones, but there are lots af apps in the market to customize all these things.
Old 26th July 2011, 14:28   #5117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Is Blade officially available in India? I see only XCD35 which is priced at a premium.
That's right, only XCD35 is available in India. How much would be the premium for XCD35 compared to Blade, if you consider the Indian price of the phone, 10300 Rs?
Old 26th July 2011, 14:35   #5118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Even though Samsung Galaxy Pro is a VFM phone, it doesn't seem to suit my requirement.

Did you compare this to Nokia E5 ? Any comments on E5 ?
Rohan
Sorry! i didn't have a chance to compre them as I wasn't looking for a Nokia.
If you are priamily looking for a good battery life, may be you should look other options. But I can vouch for the voice & speaker phone clarity of this one.
mTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 15:46   #5119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
That's right, only XCD35 is available in India. How much would be the premium for XCD35 compared to Blade, if you consider the Indian price of the phone, 10300 Rs?
I don't have specific numbers but user comments on GSM Arena puts the premium around 25%.
Old 26th July 2011, 15:52   #5120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Android OS battery drain bug...

2.3.4 was supposed to solve this bug, but for me 2.3.4 has introduced it! Display shows around 2 hours (1h 53mins) usage and still Android OS (CPU total: 1h 8mins) is draining more juice than the 4.3" S-AMOLED+ screen. Any suggestions?

Phone: SGS2.
2.3.4. XXKG1.
I had a good battery life using KG1. I am not sure If you done factory or Hard reset. Once you do that after couple of full battery charge you'll observe better battery life.
AOS usage comes down below 15%.

There are new upgrades available above KG1, like the XXKG2 and the new XXKG3. Both are improved version over KG1, with improvement in battery performance.

I could easily manage a day & half with KG1 that including 1 hour browsing, 4 mail A/c, HD gaming, Phone calls, SMS, and others.
However I have installed JuiceDefender and Go launcher which helps in keeping check if any other apps running in background.

Just Installed Litening Rom, which is non wipe version and it makes the S2 much faster compared to stock ROM. Quadrant benchmark score I use to achieve with stock ROM would be around 2800-3000.
After installing the Litening ROM achieved average score of 3800+/-. Best could achieve was 4138. That's almost 30% faster than the stock ROM.
Lastly tried it with overclocking the CPU at 1.6Ghz and amazed to see the quadrant score of 5085. Avg getting above 4700

Indeed Litening ROM is in true sense lightning fast.
Below are the screenshots after running on Litening ROM, one with standard 1.2Ghz speed and the other with overclocked 1.6Ghz.
Attached Images

Last edited by Invinsible : 26th July 2011 at 15:56.
Old 26th July 2011, 17:25   #5121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
I had a good battery life using KG1. I am not sure If you done factory or Hard reset. Once you do that after couple of full battery charge you'll observe better battery life.
AOS usage comes down below 15%.

There are new upgrades available above KG1, like the XXKG2 and the new XXKG3. Both are improved version over KG1, with improvement in battery performance.

I could easily manage a day & half with KG1 that including 1 hour browsing, 4 mail A/c, HD gaming, Phone calls, SMS, and others.
However I have installed JuiceDefender and Go launcher which helps in keeping check if any other apps running in background.

Just Installed Litening Rom, which is non wipe version and it makes the S2 much faster compared to stock ROM. Quadrant benchmark score I use to achieve with stock ROM would be around 2800-3000.
After installing the Litening ROM achieved average score of 3800+/-. Best could achieve was 4138. That's almost 30% faster than the stock ROM.
Lastly tried it with overclocking the CPU at 1.6Ghz and amazed to see the quadrant score of 5085. Avg getting above 4700

Indeed Litening ROM is in true sense lightning fast.
Below are the screenshots after running on Litening ROM, one with standard 1.2Ghz speed and the other with overclocked 1.6Ghz.
Thats Great Work! Your posts are an eye opener for all SGS2 owners

I had some issue with removing from apps from my SGS2. I tried to uninstall Google Maps, after and before installing Brut Maps. But I'm unable to remove them. The uninstall process completes but the Maps, Navigation, Latitude icons dont go away. And neither am I able to get a uninstall option for 'Yahoo Finance'.

Are these things not supposed to be removed? Do I need Root access to remove them?
Old 26th July 2011, 17:32   #5122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Thats Great Work! Your posts are an eye opener for all SGS2 owners

I had some issue with removing from apps from my SGS2. I tried to uninstall Google Maps, after and before installing Brut Maps. But I'm unable to remove them. The uninstall process completes but the Maps, Navigation, Latitude icons dont go away. And neither am I able to get a uninstall option for 'Yahoo Finance'.

Are these things not supposed to be removed? Do I need Root access to remove them?
You need to root and get deodexed version firmware.
You could also try other firmware by Dev where none of these apps are installed.
Invinsible is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 17:54   #5123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
You need to root and get deodexed version firmware.
You could also try other firmware by Dev where none of these apps are installed.
Thanks Brada, Now you give me a second reason to Root my SGS2. First one being the Beautiful Themes on the XDA-developers.

Could you please do me one more favor? Could you point me to a thread/method on xda-developers or anywhere else which has the easiest root and unroot methods? And will rooting void the warranty?

Also what are deodexed ROMs? Are these required for the 2 tasks mentioned (Themes/Junk Removal) ? And will these ROMs void the warranty?

Sorry to bother you with these noob queries, but its just that forums like xda-developers are too intimidating for a noob like me
Zenster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 18:25   #5124
Senior - BHPian

why would you root the phone?

The phone already performs very fast and hardly we face an instant where we feel the phone is slow.

I am asking this because i was one of the earliest to jail brake my Iphone as well as my Galaxy S.

But with S2 i still cannot imagine why would i need it? Help guys
Old 26th July 2011, 18:35   #5125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Brada, Now you give me a second reason to Root my SGS2. First one being the Beautiful Themes on the XDA-developers.

Could you please do me one more favor? Could you point me to a thread/method on xda-developers or anywhere else which has the easiest root and unroot methods? And will rooting void the warranty?

Also what are deodexed ROMs? Are these required for the 2 tasks mentioned (Themes/Junk Removal) ? And will these ROMs void the warranty?

Sorry to bother you with these noob queries, but its just that forums like xda-developers are too intimidating for a noob like me
Here is the thread where you could find the info on the rooting. Just follow as it says. [ROM + Guide]Official i9100 KE7/KE8/KF1/KF3/KF4/KF3/KG1/KG2 download and Root Guide. - xda-developers
You will need insecure KDD kernal file download from here http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&sou...HoJCHWzIylUwBA

Download superoneclick file from here [APP]SuperOneClick v2.0 (MORE ROOTING!) - xda-developers

Follow there instruction as mentioned in Intratech's thread.
You will also need CWM manager which you could download it from here. http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...-v4.0-CWM4.zip

Once you have this you could edit or remove .apk files which should get rid of those icons and apps.

Some dev ROM comes with root file, which you simply need to download them and install the file via ODIN and you G2 is rooted with custom ROM.

Rooting or installing custom ROM does void warranty. In some cases it could even brick you device. I suggest go ahead with this only if you know what you are doing.
However you could always switch back to Stock ROM released by samsung which is a full wipe version that you could download from samfirmware.com.

Last edited by Invinsible : 26th July 2011 at 18:42.
Invinsible is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 18:43   #5126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
why would you root the phone?

The phone already performs very fast and hardly we face an instant where we feel the phone is slow.

I am asking this because i was one of the earliest to jail brake my Iphone as well as my Galaxy S.

But with S2 i still cannot imagine why would i need it? Help guys
I get your point about the speed bit and I'm not after speedier performance at all. If you notice, I am looking for a level of customization that needs Root access. Hope that clarifies my need for Rooting.

Besides some savvy minds don't rest before all that is there to be done, is Done
Old 26th July 2011, 18:46   #5127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the best explanation I could find.

Normally factory ROMs have system apk files which contains certain odex files which contain commonly used code or resources by many apps or system processes.

De-odexing means you eliminate such common parts and put all things related to one app or service in its own place (apk) so that you don't have to worry about a change done in one package affecting another.

Last edited by clevermax : 26th July 2011 at 18:50.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 19:12   #5128
BHPian

I just noticed today that the Samsung Galaxy Pro B7510 has been price reduced to 6999/- (after applying coupon code rcomlb1) in LETSBUY. I just paid 500 more by ordering it few days back!
Old 26th July 2011, 19:23   #5129
BANNED

Finally got my Nexus S today. A breeze to use. It already updating to Gingerbread MR2 (2.3.4). Managed to get all my contacts by exporting a CSV file from outlook and importing to GMail. However the images/photos of the contacts are not come. How do I get them to the phone. Also configured the email without any problems. Now just neew to start downloading the apps. Already downloades some.
Old 26th July 2011, 21:04   #5130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive
Finally got my Nexus S today. A breeze to use. It already updating to Gingerbread MR2 (2.3.4). Managed to get all my contacts by exporting a CSV file from outlook and importing to GMail. However the images/photos of the contacts are not come. How do I get them to the phone. Also configured the email without any problems. Now just neew to start downloading the apps. Already downloades some.
Could you share the pics ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks