Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2011, 20:19   #5266
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
I was an illiterate when it comes to smart phones/ relate gadgets, and looking out for a new smart phone to join the bandwagon !
I am not willing to spend a lot, but looking for a basic to semi advanced version, and I kind of short listed three options based on budget and the little knowledge acquired (no particular order)
HTC Wildfire S (I liked the build quality of HTC generally)
Samsung Galaxy Ace
LG Optimus p500

Any feedback on the above would be helpful to finalize.
A novice question - I liked the e-book reader in some tablets, and Galaxy S2 at a store, is it possible to download that app and install it on any of the above phones?

My requirements are simple. Good email support, GPS is good, preferably support static maps, not connecting to internet for GPS functionality(through satellites only). Good quality speaker phone to attend long meetings(I dont want to hold it to ear for long durations)
Does any of these phones support conferencing clients like netmeeting etc. atleast to view?

thanks in advance
If your budget permits, you should go in for a Motorola Defy...
It's quite quick.. after you install CM7 and it's water resistant and shock resistant.

I think it costs about 15K or so.

Motorola is known for it's good build quality
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:30   #5267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Just received the OTG Host Adapter for my SGS2.

P.S: FYI, I paid $4 (Rs.177) for this item and bought from here Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable for Samsung Galaxy S2/SII | eBay

Will this work for Galaxy S?

Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 22:09   #5268
BHPian

HTC Sensation.....touchscreen issues..!! One more reason to get the SGS2

[SOLUTION][PETITION]Touchscreen Not Responsive - xda-developers
Old 3rd August 2011, 22:22   #5269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle

Will this work for Galaxy S?

Thanks
Nope... The galaxy s does not have usb host capabilities
Old 3rd August 2011, 23:00   #5270
Senior - BHPian

Updated my Desire to the latest CM 7.1.0 RC1 based on Android 2.3.4 and flashed the latest Radio 5.17.05.23. Flashing was done without any wipe, everything is working fine after the update.

Need to check whether the call connect delay issue which was introduced after I installed CM 7.0.3 earlier is resolved or not.

Name:  snap20110803_220430.png
Views: 447
Size:  56.2 KB
Old 3rd August 2011, 23:35   #5271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki

A new Firmware upgrade is available for I9003 .Connect to kies and update your phone.It will solve the above problem.

The latest Indian Firmware build for I9003 is FROYO DDKF1.The improvements i found are
-> GPS locks in within 10 seconds if clear sky is present.Before it used to take more than 2 mins

->Battery life has increased by 25-30%

->Display is more smooth to scroll.

->Phone never hangs now even when running multiple apps.

->All the issues that i have mentioned out in my post a few threads back have been ironed out.

->All in all a drastic improvement over the previous versions.
Thanks SP. I did an update and the improvements are very visible. GPS locks within 10 seconds and good improvement in battery backup observed after update.
Old 3rd August 2011, 23:37   #5272
BHPian

Re: SGS2 Notification LED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hi Fellow SGS2 Owners,

I have been missing a Hardware Notification LED on my SGS2 since I bought it. And Guess what, early morning today, I had to make a call to my cabbie and I found that it works. The Front Notification LED, the one the right of the Front facing Camera, WORKS!!! The video below is a proof of the same.

I dont know how it got working, I have not intentionally done anything to make it work. I found it by accident this morning (4:30am) while making a call in dark. This LED flashes very briefly when the phone Starts-up too.

I am running 2.3.4 XXKG1 with CF-Root-2 Kernel with SU/Root access and CMW installed (lemme know if you need any further specs from my handset).

Only problem now is that its very faint. The LED is almost non-existent around any light source. This is a great let down, because its like Present but not quite

I need you assistance in trying to figure out this Mystery LED, please!!!

Edit: Please excuse the quality of the Video. As mentioned above, this phenomenon happens in the Dark so I couldn't use any light source . Also excuse the buzzing phone I used to dial out to for this Video. And Lastly, you may notice the Full Screen Caller-ID Picture on display which is a result of a MOD from XDA. Hope this helps!
Thats a infra-red L.E.D. Same as you have on most TV/DVD/AC remote controls.
i don't know how you noticed its light from bare eyes as infrared beams cannot be seen by human eyes, however you can see it using any phone camera.
you can also use any mobile camera to check your house hold appliance remote controls, if you see the light blinking on button press your remote is working.

This infrared LED is also present in my samsung Galaxy3.

This L.E.D. reflects light to one of the sensor which is located just alongside to this LED, when it gets the beam back, reflected by your ears, hairs etc, it turns off the Screen to save battery.
Smart technology !!!!!
Old 4th August 2011, 00:12   #5273
BHPian

Hey guyz,

I have HTC wildfire.. i have upgraded 2.1 to 2.2. Can i Upgrade it to the 2.3?

And also my battery life is becoming real bad. What can be done to increase battery life?
Old 4th August 2011, 08:29   #5274
BHPian

Quote:
I was an illiterate when it comes to smart phones/ relate gadgets, and looking out for a new smart phone to join the bandwagon !
I am not willing to spend a lot, but looking for a basic to semi advanced version, and I kind of short listed three options based on budget and the little knowledge acquired (no particular order)
Samsung Galaxy Ace
LG Optimus p500

Any feedback on the above would be helpful to finalize.
A novice question - I liked the e-book reader in some tablets, and Galaxy S2 at a store, is it possible to download that app and install it on any of the above phones?

My requirements are simple. Good email support, GPS is good, preferably support static maps, not connecting to internet for GPS functionality(through satellites only). Good quality speaker phone to attend long meetings(I dont want to hold it to ear for long durations)
Does any of these phones support conferencing clients like netmeeting etc. atleast to view?

thanks in advance
Would suggest the LG Optimus One, available at 8500/- . Meets all your requirements mentioned.
Old 4th August 2011, 08:50   #5275
BHPian

Quote:
Samsung Galaxy Ace
LG Optimus p500
Whatever you do, do not buy HTC Wildfire S. Its has lot of issues. I went and bought it for my wife. It has gingerbread half backed software. Very frequent hangs, crashes, too much of battery drain (thanks to bolted HTC software). You can not set screen brightness to minimum, if you do phone can't wake up! It can not be rooted easily at the moment. So all in all its a phone not to be bought. Though one might not want to root the phone, in this case (HTC & LG) I would prefer because to remove unwanted junk software which drain you battery like any thing! If you really need HTC, get HTC phone which can be rooted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
I have HTC wildfire.. i have upgraded 2.1 to 2.2. Can i Upgrade it to the 2.3?

And also my battery life is becoming real bad. What can be done to increase battery life?
Try installing CM7. Instructions available in following link. In the same link you can find many KERNELS, check best UV kernal and flash it after CM7 upgrade. You will surely get better battery life with UV kernel.

Last edited by RaguHolla : 4th August 2011 at 08:56.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 09:25   #5276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Thanks SP. I did an update and the improvements are very visible. GPS locks within 10 seconds and good improvement in battery backup observed after update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
A new Firmware upgrade is available for I9003 .Connect to kies and update your phone.It will solve the above problem.

The latest Indian Firmware build for I9003 is FROYO DDKF1.The improvements i found are
-> GPS locks in within 10 seconds if clear sky is present.Before it used to take more than 2 mins

->Battery life has increased by 25-30%

->Display is more smooth to scroll.

->Phone never hangs now even when running multiple apps.

->All the issues that i have mentioned out in my post a few threads back have been ironed out.

->All in all a drastic improvement over the previous versions.
Hi Guys,
GPS locking was never an issue for me, with A-GPS i used to get locks within 15-20 seconds.

For the battery i am not seeing any visible improvements for my usage pattern.(2 Hrs Wifi, else EDGE full time,3 email accounts Sync, FB sync, 1 hr of talktime,2-3 hours of Music etc). Is the battery improvement visible in specific scenario ???
Old 4th August 2011, 09:43   #5277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup i upgraded from XF8 to KG1 using ODIN. Its the easiest and quickest method according to me
same here. I just upgraded to 2.3.4. Yet to understand the changes. If the forums are right i might see a better battery performance and gps.

Regarding the time taken to complete this, i would give it say 8-12 minutes max which includes factory reset.

No need to root or do anything. Just use ODIN and the files to change firmware.
Old 4th August 2011, 09:54   #5278
Senior - BHPian

My friend is considering the Motorola Defy.

Any Defy user here who faced the dreaded ear phone speaker problem ?

Rohan
Old 4th August 2011, 10:03   #5279
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, I went hunting for a Motorola Defy in Pune. Checked most parts of Kalyani Nagar (including some malls). No one has a Defy. In fact, most shop owners did not keep any Motorola phones.
Does anyone know why shops are not keeping Motorola phones?
Any place in Pune, where I can see a Defy in working condition?
Old 4th August 2011, 10:15   #5280
BHPian

HTC Evo 3D....much hyped, available at a bargain price of 18k brand new. So much for 3D and the hype. Looks like HTC is yet to tame the battery bug with the evo 3D.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks