Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2011, 15:36   #6016
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
how do i add a way point while searching for directions from A to B; ie, directions for A to B via C.
Anyone?

While getting route from Bangalore to Chennai, Brut insists i take the OMR road via mulbagal. But iam interested in taking the GQ, hence would like to know if i can get the Bangalore -> Krishnagiri -> Chennai route on Brut.

On the maps.google.com site, i am able to add a waypoint while searching routes, but not on its equivalent android app. Am i missing something?
Old 4th October 2011, 15:44   #6017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I haven't bothered to update my brut Maps from 4.6 yet. Is there a 5.10 Maps with turn by turn navigation which works? I have Google Maps 5.10 installed but navigation is not available in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
I'm yet to install the Brut Maps V4.6. Will you please provide me a link to a working V5.10?
Here you go - xTension's Blog: Google Maps v5.10.1 With World Navigation Activated

this is the v5.10.1 - I am currently on 5.10. I can vouch that navigation works flawlessly !
normally_crazy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 15:59   #6018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Anyone?

While getting route from Bangalore to Chennai, Brut insists i take the OMR road via mulbagal. But iam interested in taking the GQ, hence would like to know if i can get the Bangalore -> Krishnagiri -> Chennai route on Brut.

On the maps.google.com site, i am able to add a waypoint while searching routes, but not on its equivalent android app. Am i missing something?
This is exactly what I am also looking for. Sometimes there is a better route than the automatically calculated route, and we can get it by adding a waypoint in between but mobile maps doesn't allow this. :(
Old 4th October 2011, 17:56   #6019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Is there any way to revert back to the old Android Market? I'm not able to download the applications using the new android market!

I uninstalled the updates using the 'Applications' option under Settings. But, the android market gets updated on its own!
Hope this would help. However it is recommended to have a rooted device in order process. You would need to delete or freeze the market updater app.
Invinsible is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 18:26   #6020
Senior - BHPian

@SGS2 users.

Revolution Rom 2.7.1 gives almost the same or better battery compared to the Batista rom.

11hrs of usage which has over 40 calls, constant sync of Gmails, outlook , gtlak and facebook and the battery is at 61% at 630PM.

In Idle state where the phone is just doing sync the battery loss is around 1% per 4 hours. I am sure i can do two days with this battery life.

Revolution 2.7.1 has released some beautiful themes in the last two days. So enjoying the true blue theme where the dial pad is just beautiful.
Old 4th October 2011, 18:45   #6021
BANNED

Quote:
This is exactly what I am also looking for. Sometimes there is a better route than the automatically calculated route, and we can get it by adding a waypoint in between but mobile maps doesn't allow this. :(
Me too was looking for the same.

Another workaround also failed -

i) Created Custom route in online PC map and saved to My Maps.
ii) Opened Google Mobile App >> Layers >> My Maps>> My Saved Maps and selected my custom created route.

Its giving a message "This Community Map could not be displayed because it contains errors."
Old 4th October 2011, 18:49   #6022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Here you go - xTension's Blog: Google Maps v5.10.1 With World Navigation Activated

this is the v5.10.1 - I am currently on 5.10. I can vouch that navigation works flawlessly !
Tried to install this one. And i am getting "Application not installed" every time . Probably something to do with the formware i am on.
So i am going to stick with the old Brut map i was using, which worked like a charm ( [APPMOD][07.11.10] Brut Google Maps 4.6.0.4686-brut17 - xda-developers )
Old 4th October 2011, 18:57   #6023
BANNED

@kap04

Try the below link which can be installed in a stock phone. No root access needed. Working in my Nexus S

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
or this
http://www.mediafire.com/?ik749697aejgqie

Last edited by wildon : 4th October 2011 at 18:58.
Old 4th October 2011, 21:09   #6024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Not unless you trust every application writer whose apps you download. Most of our Android phones, especially the rooted ones are very vulnerable to hacking.
That's a very broad brush to make - if there is malware out there which can give itself root without asking, then its anyways capable of including a root binary in its distribution and doing alot of nonsense. Which is not how it happens, therefore I am chill!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
General question to all Android phone owners:

What anti-malware/ security applications are you using to safeguard your Android phone (and the data on it)?
NONE! They just eat battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Why take risk? i use ESET Mobile Security and its free too.

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
Simply takes more battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
To be honest, Android is the favorite platform for malware writers. 60% of all mobile malware is targeted towards Android (2011).

I attended a session conducted by the VP of McAfee US, a couple of days ago. He showed some examples of apps that seem very friendly, but in reality they steal your personal data and send off to servers in China etc.

One example, an app that gives you call recording feature. The app does that alright, but it saves those files and sends to a server in China. The recording app would be able to extract credit card information from your voice, and save those as text and then send them to the malware author. If you use IVR, then it would record what you have punched in and send that to the author.

The best part is the permissions that seem legitimate are more than enough for the app to steal and send information. So, just looking at the permissions will not give any clues to the true damage potential of the application.
He also showed some apps which can steal your contact details and send them off to someone.

Android is very popular and hence the best target!

More apps that you download translates to higher risk.
You mix alot of plausible scenarios with simple FUD. Let me give you what works for me:
- Install only apps that are well rated in the community
- Give root permission only for apps i fully understand
- Funky stuff like call recorder should only be used if included in the ROM (MIUI/Barebones Froyo Defy)
- Use the firewall VERY aggressively

Quote:
Very valid points. One should be always watchful while installing apps - very popular apps can be relatively safer, I always look at the ratings and feedback of an app before installing it. If I still have my doubts, I prevent that app from touching my EDGE or Wifi:

You get added advantage that ads won't appear in them!
Absolutely. Clever minds think alike!

Let me give a completely different perspective. I liken it to a Linux system which always has root installed. Yet, most apps do not misuse or arbitrarily usurp root privileges. So if you install stuff sensibly, you are covered.
Old 4th October 2011, 21:55   #6025
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
That's a very broad brush to make - if there is malware out there which can give itself root without asking, then its anyways capable of including a root binary in its distribution and doing alot of nonsense. Which is not how it happens, therefore I am chill!!
Take it from a system programmer, it is just a matter of time. No OS or sandbox is perfect or invulnerable. If not the OS, the applications will have holes. Trojans always come in through trusted programs. Malware is not about technology, but about malintent. And holes can be found at many points if one looks hard enough.
Old 4th October 2011, 22:05   #6026
Senior - BHPian

@phamilyman: Sorry to disappoint you, but I would say that you are dismissing facts as FUD.
Android now worst platform for malware | TG Daily
Google Faces Serious Risk To Stock Price From Android Security Woes - Forbes

I would not discourage people from installing protection even at cost of battery life. Remember that your private data is much more valuable than you can generally imagine.
Old 4th October 2011, 22:52   #6027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post

I can't seem to install this maps, tried all three ways described in that forum. can you share the details on how you installed it?
Old 4th October 2011, 23:08   #6028
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N
@phamilyman: Sorry to disappoint you, but I would say that you are dismissing facts as FUD.

I would not discourage people from installing protection even at cost of battery life. Remember that your private data is much more valuable than you can generally imagine.
I use something called , very succinctly, " antivirus free".

Apparently it updates its own db of known malicious apps periodically,and doesnt allow anything from that list to be installed.
Not active protection,but going by previous posts , seems like I oughta get something that keeps running in BG.
Old 4th October 2011, 23:38   #6029
BANNED

For proper security - ensure that you use apps for which source code is available.

Make sure that the binary you compile form the provided source code matches the binary you can download from the market.

Now, I have set free a can worms, right???

Right now, I use only droidwall. Not sure if this is just a iptables based firewall, or works for calls and SMSes too.
Old 4th October 2011, 23:44   #6030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N

More fud from Forbes. Lol. I'll install rather buy AV the day phones become attackable just being on the network like windows rpc calls.

Samurai, I agree but till then I'd sleep in peace

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks