Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2011, 00:41   #6046
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Updated from Darky's Rom V8 to V10.2EE for the SGS last night and now the phone flies! Not that it would make much of a difference, but I got a Quadrant score of 1921.
i wish my SGS would give me that much. Best i managed is 1045 on quadrant. Don't know why. It uses UCKH3 with root and no bootloaders.

Any idea why its low on my SGS?
Old 6th October 2011, 00:56   #6047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
i wish my SGS would give me that much. Best i managed is 1045 on quadrant. Don't know why. It uses UCKH3 with root and no bootloaders.

Hmm, UCKH3 is Samsung Captivate? Not sure how different it is from the regular SGS. I got mine last year in July (in India) and have been using that since. Do you know if you can install Darky's ROM or any other custom ROM? If yes, I'd give those a shot as they improve performance. You can also try EXT4 lag fix if that's available for Captivate.
Old 6th October 2011, 01:57   #6048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, UCKH3 is Samsung Captivate? Not sure how different it is from the regular SGS. I got mine last year in July (in India) and have been using that since. Do you know if you can install Darky's ROM or any other custom ROM? If yes, I'd give those a shot as they improve performance. You can also try EXT4 lag fix if that's available for Captivate.
Yes it captivate indeed. It is a i897. Which one is yours? i9000? i9001?

I will see if i can install Darky's ROM. I tried Cyanogen, but it was too problematic. The current one doesn't have any lag from regular usage, but its benchmarks are low.

I don't know if the below one is GB based or not. Will go through the thread in detail and see if i can put int on i897.

Here is captivate's version: http://www.darkyrom.com/community/in...ot-final.2420/

thanks

Last edited by chevelle : 6th October 2011 at 02:02.
Old 6th October 2011, 02:09   #6049
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it captivate indeed. It is a i897. Which one is yours? i9000? i9001?

I will see if i can install Darky's ROM. I tried Cyanogen, but it was too problematic. The current one doesn't have any lag from regular usage, but its benchmarks are low.

I don't know if the below one is GB based or not. Will go through the thread in detail and see if i can put int on i897.

Here is captivate's version: [ROM]Darky v10 RC6 I9000 & I897 - Stable but NOT final | DarkyROM

thanks
Cool, all the best. I have a I9000 and had no problems installing it. They have a tool based installation that makes it easy. But, follow their instructions closely.
Old 6th October 2011, 02:12   #6050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cool, all the best. I have a I9000 and had no problems installing it. They have a tool based installation that makes it easy. But, follow their instructions closely.
They have said it won't work. Will have to do it through recovery mode.

In their words and i quote 'flashing from Darky App does not work anymore (will be fixed), so go manually to recovery and select through the menu the zip to install'

So have to do it carefully over the weekend. Thanks.
Old 6th October 2011, 02:21   #6051
BHPian

Quote:
They have said it won't work. Will have to do it through recovery mode.

In their words and i quote 'flashing from Darky App does not work anymore (will be fixed), so go manually to recovery and select through the menu the zip to install'

So have to do it carefully over the weekend. Thanks.
Interesting, didn't know that. The steps I followed were these:

(i) Downloaded Darky's Rom V10.2 RE.
(ii) Used ODIN 1.3 which was bundled with the above download and flashed that ROM. This one will wipe all data, so back up data using Titanium before flashing.
(iii) Next, I downloaded Darky's Rom V10.2 EE on my computer. I also downloaded Darky's Tool and Voodoo Control App from the market.
(iv) Opened the Voodoo Control app and ensured that all the lag fixes were on (system and data).
(v) Copied the V10.2 EE ROM to my phone, used the tool with the options mentioned on the tutorial and flashed it. Didn't see it work the first time around as I went into Recovery and had to choose "re-boot the phone". Tried it again and the tool took over and the new ROM was up and running.

Not sure if the process is different for I897. Let me know if you need any other info about the process I followed.
HellwratH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 02:26   #6052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interesting, didn't know that. The steps I followed were these:

(i) Downloaded Darky's Rom V10.2 RE.
(ii) Used ODIN 1.3 which was bundled with the above download and flashed that ROM. This one will wipe all data, so back up data using Titanium before flashing.
(iii) Next, I downloaded Darky's Rom V10.2 EE on my computer. I also downloaded Darky's Tool and Voodoo Control App from the market.
(iv) Opened the Voodoo Control app and ensured that all the lag fixes were on (system and data).
(v) Copied the V10.2 EE ROM to my phone, used the tool with the options mentioned on the tutorial and flashed it. Didn't see it work the first time around as I went into Recovery and had to choose "re-boot the phone". Tried it again and the tool took over and the new ROM was up and running.

Not sure if the process is different for I897. Let me know if you need any other info about the process I followed.
Thanks for explanation. It seems step 3,4,5 is different. Will keep you updated as and when i start to flash it.
Old 6th October 2011, 10:53   #6053
BHPian

Hey guys

I am in dilemma here. Please help me out. I am on the lookout for a smartphone. My budget extends till 10,000/-. No more period.

What I want from the device are:-

1. Nice resolution and crisp display for reading documents, pdf files etc.
2. Browsing should be good.
3. Screen should be large enough (not less than 3.2'')
4. DURABILITY and SERVICE BACKUP as I do not plan to change my device for atleast 3 years or so.

I have shortlisted two devices : NOKIA C5-03 and DELL XCD35 but open to more suggestions.

I have checked out both these devices (physically and virtually) and found the XCD35's resolution and display bigger (3.5'') and better than C5-03. Of course the Nokia still runs on the ol' Symbian and the Dell has 2.1 android OS which can be upgraded to 2.2 from the Service center itself which is not the case with C5-03.

The current prices as of today are:-

Nokia C5-03 = 8500/- INR
DELL XCD35 = 8700/- INR

Although there is tons of info on the net about both these devices I want to know real world experience from you guys.

1. How does Dell compare to Nokia in terms of service back up and durability (very important for me) ?

2. For a long term phone which is a safer bet as I am willing to overlook other aspects (like screen display and resolution etc.)

3. Are there any other smartphones in this range from brands like LG or Samsung ? (although I haven't heard good reviews about these brands but I may be wrong.)
Old 6th October 2011, 11:36   #6054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG SARAN
Hey guys

I am in dilemma here. Please help me out. I am on the lookout for a smartphone. My budget extends till 10,000/-. No more period.

What I want from the device are:-

1. Nice resolution and crisp display for reading documents, pdf files etc.
2. Browsing should be good.
3. Screen should be large enough (not less than 3.2'')
4. DURABILITY and SERVICE BACKUP as I do not plan to change my device for atleast 3 years or so.

I have shortlisted two devices : NOKIA C5-03 and DELL XCD35 but open to more suggestions.

I have checked out both these devices (physically and virtually) and found the XCD35's resolution and display bigger (3.5'') and better than C5-03. Of course the Nokia still runs on the ol' Symbian and the Dell has 2.1 android OS which can be upgraded to 2.2 from the Service center itself which is not the case with C5-03.

The current prices as of today are:-

Nokia C5-03 = 8500/- INR
DELL XCD35 = 8700/- INR

Although there is tons of info on the net about both these devices I want to know real world experience from you guys.

1. How does Dell compare to Nokia in terms of service back up and durability (very important for me) ?

2. For a long term phone which is a safer bet as I am willing to overlook other aspects (like screen display and resolution etc.)

3. Are there any other smartphones in this range from brands like LG or Samsung ? (although I haven't heard good reviews about these brands but I may be wrong.)
At your range and specification list you are better off looking at Bada than android. If you can stretch a bit you will do well to pick up a motorola defy.
Old 6th October 2011, 12:21   #6055
BHPian

Fellas, since Team-BHP has now become a one stop place for most things we buy would request you to kindly suggest me some nice android phone within a 15K budget.

Prime requirements:
Touch screen (resistive)
Compact and rugged to use
eMail set up should be easy to use
Able to read PDF, XL files
All the camera, songs riff raff isn't too important, but a standard 3.5 mm jack would be nice.

I can up the budget as well if required. Till now the only phone I have liked is the HTC Wildfire S. Please let me know if this is a good option (pros and cons if any), and a better option if you are aware of. Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 12:36   #6056
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG SARAN View Post
Hey guys

You can go for Motorola Fire. Retails at 9K.
MOTOROLA FIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Fellas, since Team-BHP has now become a one stop place for most things we buy would request you to kindly suggest me some nice android phone within a 15K budget.
You can buy Motorola Defy. Retails at 15K.
Motorola DEFY - Durable Android Smart Phone with Blur - Touchscreen - Water Dust Scratch Resistant - Touch Tablet - Overview - Motorola Mobility India
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 14:20   #6057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG SARAN View Post
Hey guys

Check out LG Optimus One. Around 9k brand new.
High points: Android 2.3, 3.2" 320x480 Display is nice, 600Mhz processor+512 MB RAM which is decent enough, 1500mah battery gives you atleast 2 days backup with moderate use, good build quality. LG support is quite good.

There is no other phone in this price (less than 10k) which satisfies the above criteria and the display is pretty good too! 3 guys i know have this phone and they're happy with it. The only think i didn't quite like about the phone is its heavy. I bought a cheap droid recently, its a Motorola Fire XT, cost me 11.5k new.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 14:38   #6058
Senior - BHPian

Guys, If i want a non touch screen phone running android - Is it available at all?

I have a major problem using the touch screen when i need to call someone in a hurry!!

All the other features are great in the Samsung Galaxy 3 that I have!

I basically need a great battery and wifi, with email and document reading.

Thanks in advance
Old 6th October 2011, 15:04   #6059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle

That's a low score for an SGS, my humble HTC desire managed to get a score of 1590 with the latest MIUI 1.9.30 ROM. This is the highest I've seen so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
Guys, If i want a non touch screen phone running android - Is it available at all?

I have a major problem using the touch screen when i need to call someone in a hurry!!

All the other features are great in the Samsung Galaxy 3 that I have!

I basically need a great battery and wifi, with email and document reading.

Thanks in advance
I find it very easy to dial in a hurry, from a touch screen. With some roms, you can unlock straight to dialer and make a call with one touch. A dialer with smart dial in a touch screen is not a compromise at all.

Last edited by clevermax : 6th October 2011 at 15:12.
Old 6th October 2011, 16:48   #6060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I find it very easy to dial in a hurry, from a touch screen. With some roms, you can unlock straight to dialer and make a call with one touch. A dialer with smart dial in a touch screen is not a compromise at all.

Can you guide me in totality please? I'm a little averse to playing around as i spend little time with a computer.

Recently, tried the GO themes , dialler etc and moved my colleagues into a separate group. got bored of the theme, dialler etc after 2 days and reverted back to stock and lost all contacts in my stock contacts..had to search every name individually and recreate a group and do it.

All this unwanted frenzy is what makes me realize that older phones were much better. Some better phones, I've had - Nokia E50, 3100, 5100, 1610, Samsung SGH600, Ericcson GA328 etc.

All current phones loose steam in 3 months and thats what drives the market..Too much of dependency on Over the Air Transmissions..not so great when one is travelling.

Anyways, this thread is wonderful to understand other models and issues, but am not too much into rooting..infact tried and failed, via Samsung Kies, it said cannot upgrade firmware in my phone!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks