Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2011, 21:33   #5326
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
I'm not sure if this is the case.. I think i read it somewhere, but i have a dodgy memory.
You do. they've launched xoom. atrix etc they havent launched yet. wonder why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
That is bad news! Who would service these phones a year down the line? How would the situation be for spares/ repairs/ warranty related issues with Motorola?
its working fine man. the service centers are operational too. six months back, I even got an antique L7i software + motherboard issue sorted out. don't imagine things !!
Old 5th August 2011, 22:27   #5327
Senior - BHPian

Advice required for an Android Smartphone

Hi Guys, asking for your help in choosing a new phone for myself.

I have using the Nokia E Series (E71 and E72) for almost 3 yrs and am very comfortable with QWERTY. However, the big screens and new apps have made me want to switch to a touchscreen smartphone.

My entire family uses Iphones, but I dont want to put up with Apple idiosyncrasies and stupid Itunes. Please advise a good Android phone. Budget is not an issue, although the cheaper the better

I need :

1) Good Battery Life.
2) Good Network Reception / Voice Clarity
3) Good Built Quality
4) A decent camera

Please advice guys..

Old 5th August 2011, 22:34   #5328
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Advice required for an Android Smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post

I have using the Nokia E Series (E71 and E72) for almost 3 yrs and am very comfortable with QWERTY. However, the big screens and new apps have made me want to switch to a touchscreen smartphone.

My entire family uses Iphones, but I dont want to put up with Apple idiosyncrasies and stupid Itunes. Please advise a good Android phone. Budget is not an issue, although the cheaper the better

I need :

1) Good Battery Life.
3) Good Built Quality
4) A decent camera

Please advice guys..
my budget didnt permit me to go for it, but you could take a look at the arc.
battery apart(which is decent, not amazing), everything else fits.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 22:59   #5329
Senior - BHPian

AbhiJ,

Its quite simple really.
a. PURE performance: SGS2
b. Superb allrounder at the top end: HTC Sensation (I quite like it - UI etc trumps SGS2 anyday - i found SGS2 UI pathetic for such a powerhouse)
c. 15k budget - Defy. Its practically better than the Samsung Galaxy SL for most purposes and is completely lag free. With CM7/MIUI you get awesome eye candy. SGSL is much better if u have big hands and like to use it two handed. battery sucks in both so never mind!
d. 10k - Dell XCD35

EDIT: Thanks Dkaile boss! Reached me in 15 days. super awesome stuff!!

Last edited by phamilyman : 5th August 2011 at 23:06.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 23:08   #5330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
The Google navigation with voice really rocks in android
I will be using it in the forthcoming trip to Ooty this month. I already have a MMI device too, let see who wins the contest.

The only downside i see is its need an internet connection.

Attachment 588726 Attachment 588727
It's the same UI and navigation I get with Brut mod, but I've got to try what you mentioned - GMaps 5.7 with Navigation.
Old 5th August 2011, 23:39   #5331
BHPian

Finally after researching the market for 3 months..ordered myself HTC Desire S from Letsbuy...having used only Blackberry phones in the past...I hope the Android experience doesn't disappointment me.
Old 5th August 2011, 23:55   #5332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

its working fine man. the service centers are operational too. six months back, I even got an antique L7i software + motherboard issue sorted out. don't imagine things !!
Well, I am still trying to find a live specimen of the phone. I want to hold the phone in my hand and see it in person before I put my money on it, since I don't change phones too often.
I will search again in the market over the weekend if time permits.
Old 6th August 2011, 00:17   #5333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i got 4100+
but then i'm running Cognition 1.31 and have OCed my phone to 1.6 GHz.
Additionally i changed the CPU governor to performance when i'm running the benchmarks.
Litening ROM 4.2 achieved 4100+ without overclocking. With overclock at 1.6ghz have achieved scores at 5100-5300 and some have achieved even more.
Try it I find it smoother than Cognition

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

That is the quadrant score i am getting after the 2.3.4 update. Its the maximum out of four runs while the other three were over 3500 but around 3680
For stock ROM thats good. KG6 is said to be much smoother and faster compared to KG3, KG2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Sprucegoose.

The new lightning rom 5 based out of KG6. Do we need to root or just do the odin way of updating by using the PDA file alone?

I am having doubts if i can just flash the rom with the PDA file alone in ODIN and see how the Lightning rom is.

I dont want to root the phone yet.
Quote:
I think doing it from the PDA file alone should be good enough.
It should be mentioned while installing the ROM if it is pre Rooted and /or comes with the required Kernel.

When installing Cognition 1.31, i went the PDA route and it did everything for me, but if you want to install Darky's ROM 2 then you gotta flash the Kernel first.
Litening can be flashed only through ODIN. No need to root just do a factory reset, go to download mode and flash the file through ODIN and your GS2 is rooted.
hope that helps.

@AbhiJ:
Look at Galaxy S2 is budget is not an issue at all. Get a Class 10 32gb microsd along with and you have 48 gb enough to play with anything you could think of.
Once you get it download that latest firmware XXKG6 from samfirmware.com and you'l see a good day and half battery life.

Last edited by Invinsible : 6th August 2011 at 00:23.
Old 6th August 2011, 00:38   #5334
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys... More questions about the SGS2

1) Whats the battery life like?
2) Is the extra performance capability actually used or felt while using the phone or in apps? Or is it like driving a ferrari in Kolkata - Lot of Horses and no where to use them
3) Also ... Best Brand - LG/Sony/HTC/Samsung?
Old 6th August 2011, 00:55   #5335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Well, I am still trying to find a live specimen of the phone. I want to hold the phone in my hand and see it in person before I put my money on it, since I don't change phones too often.
I will search again in the market over the weekend if time permits.
I completely understand. I waited almost 1.5 months before I bought my phone Go to a Croma or try this on for size: MOTOROLA MILESTONE - Motorola Mobility, Inc. India
Quote:
Thanks guys... More questions about the SGS2

1) Whats the battery life like?
2) Is the extra performance capability actually used or felt while using the phone or in apps? Or is it like driving a ferrari in Kolkata - Lot of Horses and no where to use them
3) Also ... Best Brand - LG/Sony/HTC/Samsung?
1 has been posted many times already on the thread. just search!
2 - shhh. Everything's instant on these phones (SGS2/Sensation) but if you;re on a budget and have limited needs - the Defy or even the SGSL are non-laggy enough
3 - Sony doesnt have a dual core selling in India. The HTC Sensation feels much better than the samsung S2 (which is more of an outright performer). not yet seen LG optimus 2x so cant comment!

hold all these phones in hand at a croma & then decide!!
Old 6th August 2011, 01:26   #5336
BHPian

Quote:

I need :

1) Good Battery Life.
3) Good Built Quality
4) A decent camera

Please advice guys..
if u like qwerty keypads.. Motorola Droid 3 might come. should be around 25k
Old 6th August 2011, 02:18   #5337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman

3 - Sony doesnt have a dual core selling in India.
the xperia duo??
Is it selling somewhere?
Could you please please please tell me where,I've looked everywhere,all I got was 'to be launched soon'.
Old 6th August 2011, 02:19   #5338
BHPian

@phamilyman my friend got an lg optimus 2x it's not as quick as a stay running darky's rom
Old 6th August 2011, 09:25   #5339
BHPian

Finally my Atrix got the gingerbread update couple of weeks back. It was already fast enough on Froyo, now its one heck of a device. Super quick. Does everything you throw at it ( High Res qHD screen, HD games, super fast GPS Lock, 3G speeds on Vodofone, biggest battery in smartphones etc.). Finally the new Motoblur UI is as good as Sense, if not better. The processor is same as SGS2, but Samsung overclocked it to beat Atrix on benchmarking scores since SGS2 was launched afterwards.
Old 6th August 2011, 09:44   #5340
Senior - BHPian

@phamilyman - Spot on recommendation mate; Best I have seen on this thread recently.

@abhij - follow phamilyman's recommendation and you wont regret buying your first android device. My vote goes for the SGS2 as it is THE best device as on date. Its interface can easily be changed to say a Launcher Pro+ and then you can get quite a HTC Sense like experience; HTC Sensation is a close 2nd and more solid (in gsm); Stay away from Sony...

Last edited by dkaile : 6th August 2011 at 09:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks