Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2012, 06:46   #12826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The problem with Samsung is it's own launcher, dialer and contacts app.
I threw all of them away and the phone just flows.

ex-Dialer for Dialer
ex-contacts for contacts
Nova as Launcher
Thanks, installed ex-dialer & I like it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
BTW you can sideload the flash apk easily, you know that right? Check out this video for details -
Yes, i knew that there would be a way to put flash back in but this video was good as it shows how simple it is, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I tried playing Temple run & surprinsgly it stutters in between on the S3, any idea why? with almost double hardware i thought it would run better than HTC on which the game ran just fine.
Quote:
Not sure about the issue with templerun, probably have to do with some background app that is using up too much cpu on a regular basis. The chances are high that it could again be a samsung app.

PS: I'm on Galaxy Note 1
Checked out a few forums & seems like the lag happens if powersave mode is 'On' on the phone, switched it off & works fine now

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th November 2012 at 07:00.
Old 30th November 2012, 07:53   #12827
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone used wisepilot for an extended period here?
Old 30th November 2012, 09:50   #12828
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post

Also, is there a way i can transfer my sms from defy+ to 4X? I have my contacts & calender synced with my gmail id. Need to find a way to move all my sms.

Thanks.
You can use SMS back up & restore. This will back up your sms into a folder on your SD card. Download the same software on your new phone and place this backup file in that same folder. You will be able to restore your SMS's.
Old 30th November 2012, 09:55   #12829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun

You can use SMS back up & restore. This will back up your sms into a folder on your SD card. Download the same software on your new phone and place this backup file in that same folder. You will be able to restore your SMS's.
Thanks tarun.

Took a back up and saved filed on gdrive; drop box & sd card. Once i get hold of the new phone i shall download the same there & restore using this file.

Regards,
Old 30th November 2012, 11:06   #12830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury

That is the 4.2.1 patch which contains the fix for the missing December month in the people app. I'm still waiting for my update.
Got the update just now. Update size 997 KB.
Attached Images

Old 30th November 2012, 11:56   #12831
Senior - BHPian

Got a Galaxy Nexus for a friend yesterday for Rs.19500 (white). Realised that it was a Samsung sold device which meant it had a Samsung build. It automatically upgraded upto 4.1.1 but nothing after that. Read through xda and downloaded the Nexus toolkit to flash the google build and immediately got the 4.2 followed by 4.2.1 update.

Are most of the Nexus' coming into India with Samsung firmware builds ?
Old 30th November 2012, 12:16   #12832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) I use GPS while driving to long destinations ( not to visit my relative 5 or 20 kms away )
2) For minute detail after reaching the main town/city, I ask humans on the road or I use google maps.
Alright, so for fine grained navigation upon reaching the destination, you switch from NavFree to GMaps, or even follow the proven method - ask humans around. Got it.

Visiting relatives 5 Kms away - you DO need navigation sometimes. If you are in a city and you need to go to an acquaintance's home in some layout in some street where you have never been before, you need navigation. And Google Maps probably is the only solution to this. (It is very clear from the Edappally screenshot I posted)

Quote:
For instance, I need to visit someone in Vellore. I wouldn't go for street level detail on the GPS. I would rather put Vellore on the GPS. And navfree ( or any offline GPS ) can take me till there hassle free. Hassle free is the most important word here.
If I want to drive to, say Bangalore, I will put Bangalore in Gmaps and start driving. I don't get freezes, or any hassles like you mention.

Couple of months back, I had driven from Tvm all the way to Coimbatore and then Ooty, and had my return trip via Nilambur, all the time Gmaps was up and Navigating me. No issues whatsoever. It just worked. I didn't even use the GNex phone, it was old HTC desire running CM7.1. Best thing was, since I used GMaps and not something like Navfree, it could navigate me to the doorsteps of the hotel where we were suposed to stay. Upon reaching Ooty, I didn't have to switch Navigation app or ask humans.

Quote:
If only, google maps had a more intelligent way of downloading the offline maps, I would have relied on it. But, unfortunately that's not the case. You are forced to download areas which you don't want and more often than not, when you need the maps, the download stops midway and it doesn't even provide a basic feature like resume support
You are not forced to download maps. You can let the app download the necessary tiles as you go. It won't be heavy data transfer anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Got a Galaxy Nexus for a friend yesterday for Rs.19500 (white). Realised that it was a Samsung sold device which meant it had a Samsung build. It automatically upgraded upto 4.1.1 but nothing after that. Read through xda and downloaded the Nexus toolkit to flash the google build and immediately got the 4.2 followed by 4.2.1 update.

Are most of the Nexus' coming into India with Samsung firmware builds ?
Even mine is the same. Now on 4.1.1. Planning to manually flash yakju 4.2 build on it. For getting rid of the green tint on the AMOLED screen, moving to a kernel like what I installed, is strongly advised - check my signature

Last edited by clevermax : 30th November 2012 at 12:22.
Old 30th November 2012, 12:33   #12833

Updated my SGS3 to 4.1.1 a couple of days back through an OTA update.
I'm kind of liking the experience, but seeing a lot of lags in some of the apps. The battery is being sucked like crazy. The phone which would survive for about 2 days on a full charge with moderate usage is now surviving only a day with the same usage.

Query: Is there a way I can revert back to ICS? I loved the ICS experience - no hangs, no lags, great battery life.
PS: The phone is not rooted and I don't plan to for some more time.
Old 30th November 2012, 14:18   #12834
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Even i am facing similar issue with SgS3. ICS was fast. JB is draining the battery really fast. As for reverting back to ICS you need to take the phone service center.

May be there will be another OTA update soon.
Old 30th November 2012, 14:28   #12835
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v
Even i am facing similar issue with SgS3. ICS was fast. JB is draining the battery really fast. As for reverting back to ICS you need to take the phone service center.

May be there will be another OTA update soon.
Root the phone and then do a wipe including dalvik cache. It's both less leggy as well as the battery drain has gone down.
Old 30th November 2012, 17:30   #12836
BHPian

I too got the 4.2.1 update for my GNex yesterday evening. Had to try clearing data for google services framework multiple times. After the 3rd or 4th try I got the update notification.
Old 30th November 2012, 17:47   #12837
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone purchased from "maniacstores"? i am pretty keen on "Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250" but this has just the seller warranty and am not sure if i would get any service support from Samsung ASC's?

Also, was looking at Micromax A90S, this device SAR value seems to be pretty high?
SAR value : 1.55 W/kg @ 1g (head) and 0.92 W/kg @ 1g (body).....does it make sense to go for this???
Old 30th November 2012, 18:47   #12838
Senior - BHPian

all the people worried about motorola leaving - I just got my phone - an atrix 2 back from a warranty fix ahead of schedule. Things seem to be working just fine as of now
Old 30th November 2012, 19:14   #12839
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Completely agree. I cannot find any logical reason why they do not provide other sensible options for map download. They could have cached the map in a much better way than what they are doing right now.

Maybe, they always want us to depend on the online content. Making everything so easily available offline takes the control out of google.
Google needs us online so they can either hit us with advertising, or track us so they can better focus the advertising when they next get the opportunity. Even though we can hide or block much of this, Google services don't really come free, on any platform.

The Google map area I downloaded yesterday worked offline today!
Old 30th November 2012, 19:34   #12840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
all the people worried about motorola leaving - I just got my phone - an atrix 2 back from a warranty fix ahead of schedule. Things seem to be working just fine as of now
What had happened to the phone that needed fixing? I too had a good experience, where my screen had to be replaced because of one dead pixel.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 30th November 2012 at 19:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks