Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2014, 04:36   #18571
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Add Asus Zenfone to the list of monopolized phones above.
Old 18th July 2014, 08:06   #18572
BHPian

More budget phone news:

In a not so surprising move, Microsoft has killed the Nokia X Android phone program, effective immediately.

Must be a record for Nokia, a whole product series killed off after the release of just one generation of phones!
Old 18th July 2014, 09:04   #18573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Add Asus Zenfone to the list of monopolized phones above.
Asus phones will be available through their retail chain also. Thats what I have read in one of the news article.
Old 18th July 2014, 14:23   #18574
Distinguished - BHPian

OT:

Quote:
About margins I don't know, but they should be priced less. Else I feel it defeats the purpose of buying online (unless you are in remote areas or for some other reason not able to buy from physical stores). But this hasn't happened with FK at least. Most of their stuff is priced higher. You could get cheaper from other e-retailers or even physical shops. As for handsets I'v checked out, most competitive physical stores give less or at least equal prices than those on FK.
Initially they did offer the best prices to attract customers. Now that they are established, they are not playing the 'cheapest' game anymore. What's wrong in that? People always have a choice to pick up stuff from wherever they like.

Quote:
The Motos themselves have become so popular that they have affected sales of other brands in physical stores. Now they have monopoly with Alcatel and Xiaomi too. What next? This is going to significantly affect sales of other sites and physical stores. And monopolies are always detrimental to the end consumer.
Look at it this way - had it not been for FK, would Moto have returned to India after the packup? What do you think made them choose the online mode (in general and FK in particular) this time after their earlier indian experience?

Quote:
And if they are pushing their Flipkart First subscription this way, it is really ominous. I mean, why would I pay 500 bucks/year for it? Firstly, I don't buy much from there because I always get better deals elsewhere. And secondly the benefits it offers are minimal... like one day delivery, etc. Most of the time I'm not in such a hurry to get anything, and getting delivery in 3-4 days is just fine. Currently Amazon ships for free and MUCH faster than FK.
They are not pushing anything, just trying to capitalize. Isn't that exactly what all businesses do? Cash in on an oppurtunity? They aren't saying you *have to be* flipkart first customer to get the device.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 18th July 2014 at 14:24.
Old 18th July 2014, 17:08   #18575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
OT:

Initially they did offer the best prices to attract customers. Now that they are established, they are not playing the 'cheapest' game anymore. What's wrong in that? People always have a choice to pick up stuff from wherever they like.

Look at it this way - had it not been for FK, would Moto have returned to India after the packup? What do you think made them choose the online mode (in general and FK in particular) this time after their earlier indian experience?

They are not pushing anything, just trying to capitalize. Isn't that exactly what all businesses do? Cash in on an oppurtunity? They aren't saying you *have to be* flipkart first customer to get the device.
Nothing overly wrong. BTW I have nothing against FK in particular . What I'm concerned about are monopolies.

Why not? You saying there aren't other good e-retailers or small shops who sell cheaper?

In a way they are, I guess - it just may be very difficult to get a Xiaomi otherwise. Only time will tell how well they do and for how long, in India.
Old 18th July 2014, 20:14   #18576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing overly wrong. BTW I have nothing against FK in particular . What I'm concerned about are monopolies.

Why not? You saying there aren't other good e-retailers or small shops who sell cheaper?

In a way they are, I guess - it just may be very difficult to get a Xiaomi otherwise. Only time will tell how well they do and for how long, in India.
All I am saying is no need to be upset over the monopoly thing. See, these handsets are selling on their own merit and not coz FK is promoting them. If they were for sale on amazon, they would still have got the same kinda response. I am sure as the market develops, penetration increases, other retailers will also try to bag some exclusive products (OnePlus one - Amazon?). If FK were to jack up the prices too much, I am sure the value concious indian buyer would not hesitate one bit to look away.
Old 18th July 2014, 23:29   #18577
BHPian

Updated Moto G from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4

Lost patience waiting for Moto G to push the updates. Therefore installed official OTA release following instructions from
http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...4-4-4-t2810166

No rooting required. Once 167MB zip is downloaded and transferred to device, it hardly takes 10 minutes to update.

New dialer looks cool. yet to explore other new features.
Old 18th July 2014, 23:48   #18578
BHPian

Got this just now... guess you should have waited a bit
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1405707419591.jpg  

Old 19th July 2014, 01:34   #18579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Updated Moto G from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4

Lost patience waiting for Moto G to push the updates. Therefore installed official OTA release following instructions from
http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...4-4-4-t2810166

No rooting required. Once 167MB zip is downloaded and transferred to device, it hardly takes 10 minutes to update.

New dialer looks cool. yet to explore other new features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Got this just now... guess you should have waited a bit
People are saying they have wifi drop issues with the new 4.4.4 update on Moto G.
Old 19th July 2014, 08:49   #18580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
People are saying they have wifi drop issues with the new 4.4.4 update on Moto G.
I already have Wifi drop issue in 4.4.2. Just hope the update fixes that.
Old 19th July 2014, 09:21   #18581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
I already have Wifi drop issue in 4.4.2. Just hope the update fixes that.
Is it happening with secure or open WiFi? If secure then try to change the security type.

Also have you guys tried to clear the cache after the update? Also try to do a factory reset after backing up all the data.

Ideal method for updating OS is first perform a data/factory reset, then upgrade the firmware then again perform data/factory reset. This is what I have been following since I've been using Android. Recently upgraded Moto E of one of my relative following same procedure, so far haven't noticed any bug.

Even same thing I do on windows computers during OS upgrade. For example I installed clean 8.1 over win 7 system after full formatting of system partition where I could have adopted easier option of retaining my files, settings, programs etc. But I preferred tedious way. Its OS upgradation afterall.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 19th July 2014 at 09:24.
Old 19th July 2014, 09:38   #18582
BHPian

Updated my Moto G to 4.4.4. Very smooth. Took all of 15 min only.

Had no issues with WiFi on 4.4.2 and none on 4.4.4 too.
Old 19th July 2014, 13:06   #18583
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Just wanted some info. Does it make sense to buy a Samsung Note 2 now? Getting some serious deals on it and i have some friends who have been using it for over a yr and are extremely happy with it. SD, Fk etc are selling them around 23k.

I havent checked in store deals as yet. I am confused between Xaomi Mi3 @ 14k or Moto X at 23k or Note 2 @ 23k.

I have used Moto G and i know how awesome it is to have a pure google on your phone. But some reason Note 2 seems like an attractive deal. Can do a lot more with the S Pen i feel.

Thanks.

Regards,
Old 19th July 2014, 13:34   #18584
BHPian

I have seen MI3 and moto x in flesh and for the sheer vfm I would go for Mi3. However I understand that there are many other factors such as form factor, support available, etc. But given a choice it's mi3 for me. And I never found a note 3 as a useful device! Either it should be a good phone or a good tablet
Old 19th July 2014, 16:17   #18585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Is it happening with secure or open WiFi? If secure then try to change the security type.

Also have you guys tried to clear the cache after the update? Also try to do a factory reset after backing up all the data.

Ideal method for updating OS is first perform a data/factory reset, then upgrade the firmware then again perform data/factory reset. This is what I have been following since I've been using Android. Recently upgraded Moto E of one of my relative following same procedure, so far haven't noticed any bug.

Even same thing I do on windows computers during OS upgrade. For example I installed clean 8.1 over win 7 system after full formatting of system partition where I could have adopted easier option of retaining my files, settings, programs etc. But I preferred tedious way. Its OS upgradation afterall.
I have no issue with wifi drop just heard a few people complain about it.

Though i am very disappointed with both front and rear camera of the G.

Another issue with Moto G is it freezes app like iPhones. If you are multitasking between few apps it will refresh the app. I dont have that problem with my Nexus 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

Just wanted some info. Does it make sense to buy a Samsung Note 2 now? Getting some serious deals on it and i have some friends who have been using it for over a yr and are extremely happy with it. SD, Fk etc are selling them around 23k.

I havent checked in store deals as yet. I am confused between Xaomi Mi3 @ 14k or Moto X at 23k or Note 2 @ 23k.

I have used Moto G and i know how awesome it is to have a pure google on your phone. But some reason Note 2 seems like an attractive deal. Can do a lot more with the S Pen i feel.

Thanks.

Regards,
Well Note 2 is still an awesome phone and have better camera than the other 2. Mi is vfm and nothing can beat that.

It all depends upon how big if a phone you want ? Moto x is pocketable and easy to hold with exception build quality and software updates. Mi has awesome specs for the price even X cant beat it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks