Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2017, 20:39   #26071
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Which camera are you comparing vs the S7 Edge, when you say that? I just find it very interesting.
Well contrary to the marketing hype that the folks have created, when you actually use the phone, you really don't notice anything eye-poping with the low light performance when compared to the mid-range phones in the 12-20K bracket.
Perhaps I had very high expectations?
I have also compared shots with Oneplus 3T which also is plain disappointing in my view. Only outdoor shots are good on that one.
Old 27th July 2017, 00:36   #26072
BHPian

I have found my S7's camera peerless when it comes to low light performance. We do have an iPhone 6 at home and that's certainly inferior in low light. There are many comparison reviews and DXOMark's comprehensive review too highlights the S7 camera's autofocus and stabilization performance in low light. One gripe is Samsung's processing which sometimes makes photos appear more saturated than I like (I prefer the iPhone's processing). There are also yellowish tones in some light conditions, which is a drawback.
Old 27th July 2017, 21:54   #26073
Senior - BHPian

Used the Moto G5 Plus as a primary phone for the first time today. Call quality is great. The phone also confirmed what was the problem with Nexus 5 battery. Airtel Network!

I could see it change from 'H' to 'E' to 'No data' every five minutes. I switched it to Wifi after two hours. I finally got 5 hours SOT after years!

It still has 45% charge remaining at 9 PM after starting the day at 9:30 AM. My Nexus 5 would have gone through one more cycle of charge and would have been at a lesser value than this

FM radio is giving me great company after years of no FM on my smartphones. Classic radio still rocks!
Old 28th July 2017, 13:38   #26074
Senior - BHPian

Anyone else feel that Google should introduce a mid range phone in addition to Pixel?

They need a Nexus 5 or 5x sort of a device which had regular updates promise with a decent processor and camera.

Using the G5 plus, I don't feel the need for a more powerful processor since I rarely play any games but to be with the latest software is what is tempting.

Hope Google has it in plan.
Old 30th July 2017, 17:23   #26075
Senior - BHPian

Is anti virus software for android phones useful/necessary ? On windows , an anti virus software is a must have.

I've rarely seen anti virus software being used on Linux/Unix systems. I guess android is similarly a lot less vulnerable than windows ?
Old 30th July 2017, 17:30   #26076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Is anti virus software for android phones useful/necessary ? On windows , an anti virus software is a must have.

I've rarely seen anti virus software being used on Linux/Unix systems. I guess android is similarly a lot less vulnerable than windows ?
I have never used one, nor felt the need for it either. I consider it bloatware to be honest. Eagerly waiting to hear rationale from others.
Old 30th July 2017, 17:53   #26077
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post

As long as you use apps downloaded from the App Store you should be more or less safe. An AV is not required. I have AV subscriptions but don't bother to use them on the phones.

But even the App Store isn't fool proof. There have been crooked apps that got through but Google generally removes them.

Just use your discretion. Always check feedback on an app and use Android's built in access permissions to limit its access to information on your phone.
Old 30th July 2017, 18:08   #26078
BHPian

I have a small problem on my wife's phone, running Android 6.0.1, its that when i deleted the download from google chrome, i find that all downloads in the gallery folder also got deleted. Its does not happen in my phone, so i check with google help, but i have not received any reply from anyone. Anybody has a suggestion on how to solve this matter.
Thanks in advance.
Old 30th July 2017, 18:21   #26079
BHPian

Quote:
I have never used one, nor felt the need for it either. I consider it bloatware to be honest. Eagerly waiting to hear rationale from others.
Not just phone, even in my Windows PC / Laptop i never use Antivirus (But office Laptop has it). I regularly update the windows patch releases and the free malware protection comes along with Windows. I use torrent downloads and also download and use many tools and applications. So far, haven't affected by Virus (may be lucky so far?). I am also in the view that Antivirus has more issues (like slowdown, blocks few apps etc) than the benefits. I do backup critical data in the cloud and external storage.
Old 30th July 2017, 18:51   #26080
BHPian

Guys, not sure whether to post this here or in the broadband thread.
Now, I have an ACT Broadband with a 75gb 25mbps connection here in Chennai. For the past couple of days on mobile WiFi there is a lot of buffering in YouTube. Before complaining to ACT I checked the speed using Ookla and found it to be around 20mbps download. Immediately after that when I play a YouTube video on mobile it starts buffering.
What could be the reason?
Old 30th July 2017, 20:45   #26081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Not just phone, even in my Windows PC / Laptop i never use Antivirus (But office Laptop has it). I regularly update the windows patch releases and the free malware protection comes along with Windows.
Windows is far more unsafe and people by default use privileged logins (with admin rights). On android, just like linux - the default user does not have permissions to do too many things that can really delete files / erase user data. Hence, the typical issue on android is less viruses and more installation of fake apps that steal information. Using common sense to download only high rated apps (with lots of ratings) from the play store is the easy way to avoid any such issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Guys, not sure whether to post this here or in the broadband thread.
Now, I have an ACT Broadband with a 75gb 25mbps connection here in Chennai. For the past couple of days on mobile WiFi there is a lot of buffering in YouTube. Before complaining to ACT I checked the speed using Ookla and found it to be around 20mbps download. Immediately after that when I play a YouTube video on mobile it starts buffering.
What could be the reason?
Ookla measures speeds to your company's server. That's like comparing speeds within your apartment complex. Hardly relevant when you need to calculate time to the airport before a critical flight.

Youtube buffering is the moment of truth - it shows that the pipe from ACT's servers to youtube is congested.
Old 30th July 2017, 23:34   #26082
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ookla measures speeds to your company's server. That's like comparing speeds within your apartment complex. Hardly relevant when you need to calculate time to the airport before a critical flight.
It's useful to know that there is not a problem between you and that point.

You can change the Ookla speedtest server. Pick one somewhere else in the world to get a better idea of real-world speeds.
Old 31st July 2017, 05:23   #26083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's useful to know that there is not a problem between you and that point.
Agreed - its a starting point.
Quote:
You can change the Ookla speedtest server. Pick one somewhere else in the world to get a better idea of real-world speeds.
Not sure. Its equally pointless till you can test the network on which youtube is hosted.
However, most of the servers in Ookla belong to telecom operators so unless you know exactly where to look, its still a useless result. It'll be better, but not really usable.
Old 31st July 2017, 05:45   #26084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
I have found my S7's camera peerless when it comes to low light performance. We do have an iPhone 6 at home and that's certainly inferior in low light. There are many comparison reviews and DXOMark's comprehensive review too highlights the S7 camera's autofocus and stabilization performance in low light. One gripe is Samsung's processing which sometimes makes photos appear more saturated than I like (I prefer the iPhone's processing). There are also yellowish tones in some light conditions, which is a drawback.
There no doubt it is but then you have to realize that iPhone 6 is basically two generations older than S7 and as such has a much inferior camera hardware.
Old 31st July 2017, 06:28   #26085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
There no doubt it is but then you have to realize that iPhone 6 is basically two generations older than S7 and as such has a much inferior camera hardware.
Yaar but the iPhone6 was much better than the S6 edge, launched six months after it -my sole area of focus being indoor low light food photos (hooray for instagram!) and motion photos of my then 4 year old child. Hence i dont buy the whole generation argument actually.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks