Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2017, 16:41   #26176
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
I am definitely getting used to the size and quirks of S8 plus. I would say its 90% better. Got used to the finger print scan and the Iris scan. I got a cheap hybrid case (Tpu + Pc, a knockoff of spigen) , but i don't feel it gives the best protection. What case are you using sir?

PS. Battery life is nothing short of stellar.
I have three cases for my S8 plus - first one being a complete transparent body case provided as free by the retailer

Second cover I have is Samsung Clear View Case - Bought from Samsung Store for Rs. 3000- https://shop.samsung.com/in/s8-dream...ing-cover.html

Third cover I have is provided by Samsung as a complementary gift on my purchase of S8+. This was free and sent via courier. Tumi Leather body cover. https://shop.samsung.com/in/tumi-back-cover-for-s8.html

I am happy with all of my case and covers.
Old 22nd August 2017, 18:48   #26177
Senior - BHPian

Got the OTA for Android Oreo on my Nexus 6P today. I was already running the DP4 before this and hence most of it is the same.

Very similar to Nougat with the only visual change being the notification panel is now in white. To get the notification badges working you need to side-load the Pixel launcher. For some reason PIP is not working with YouTube but working on Chrome.
Old 22nd August 2017, 22:44   #26178
BHPian

Most of the manufacturers (Google, OnePlus, Moto, Nokia etc.) don't seem to support their phone for security and OS updates beyond 2 years from the launch date of the phone. Even if I have the latest hardware spec phone I am really not sure the benefit if after 2 years it's going to no longer going to get the updates. I am talking about the 30K+ and 40K+ phones here. Do not have an issue for under 20K+ phones. At least for the high end phones upgrade should be provided for 4 to 5 years at least or upgrade should be provided until there is a technical challenge. Apple seem much better on this.
Old 22nd August 2017, 23:53   #26179
Distinguished - BHPian

Android Oreo installed on my Pixel XL. Now to spend some time getting to know the OS better.
Old 23rd August 2017, 02:05   #26180
Distinguished - BHPian

Nokia 6 launching tomorrow, Moto G5S Plus(Dual cam) on Aug 29 & LG V30 on Aug 31! Exciting times!!
Old 23rd August 2017, 07:31   #26181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Android Oreo installed on my Pixel XL. Now to spend some time getting to know the OS better.
Did you get it OTA? Or did you download and manually install? I have Pixel XL running on 7.1.2 . No OTA update available for me.
Old 23rd August 2017, 08:36   #26182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Nokia 6 launching tomorrow, Moto G5S Plus(Dual cam) on Aug 29 & LG V30 on Aug 31! Exciting times!!
You forgot to mention Note 8 launching tonight . I think the V30 holds promise. Note 8 is coming with 3300mah battery, so slightly disappointed.
Old 23rd August 2017, 09:39   #26183
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Most of the manufacturers (Google, OnePlus, Moto, Nokia etc.) don't seem to support their phone for security and OS updates beyond 2 years from the launch date of the phone.
This is standard practice. You do not pay for updates. However, there are third party versions of Android OS which work quite nicely. Cyanogenmod is one which is very good and popular.

Last edited by manson : 25th August 2017 at 16:43. Reason: Typo ;)
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:04   #26184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navneet View Post
Did you get it OTA? Or did you download and manually install? I have Pixel XL running on 7.1.2 . No OTA update available for me.
Oreo is first rolling out to users enrolled on the beta program. Enroll here https://www.google.com/android/beta and you should immediately receive the notification.
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:14   #26185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navneet View Post
Did you get it OTA? Or did you download and manually install? I have Pixel XL running on 7.1.2. No OTA update available for me.
Yes, I got the OTA last night via the Beta program. It was about 950 MB IIRC. I think what I received was the final build pending some minor bug fixes that will roll out in due course.

The full ROM (~1.6 GB) is here: https://developer.android.com/about/.../download.html

If you're in a hurry just sign up for the Android Beta program and the OTA will download to your phone almost immediately. Please read the fine print carefully before enrolling.

If you are not comfortable using test versions of an OS I'd recommend you wait for the final update to roll out to your handset. Rollouts happen in 'waves'/'phases' and you MAY need to wait for up to a fortnight for the update.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20170823095308.png  

Last edited by R2D2 : 23rd August 2017 at 10:19.
Old 23rd August 2017, 11:03   #26186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
This is standard practice. Why, the, you do not pay for updates. However, there are third party versions of Android OS which work quite nicely. Cyanogenmod is one which is very good and popular.

Cyanogenmod shut down a few months ago. Ex employees and supporters of CM have created their own CM fork, called lineage OS.
There are many other roms, but very few like lineage, which provide a near stock experience on a huge number of devices.
My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition, which was Samsung's flagship at that time, got step mother treatment, and received only 1 major update, to android 5.0.
My tablet now runs 7.1.2 with the August security patch, thanks to lineage OS.
Old 23rd August 2017, 15:32   #26187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Oreo is first rolling out to users enrolled on the beta program. Enroll here
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
If you're in a hurry just sign up for the Android Beta program and the OTA will download to your phone almost immediately. Please read the fine print carefully before enrolling.
Thanks. Signed up for Beta program and downloading the update.

Last edited by Navneet : 23rd August 2017 at 15:34.
Old 23rd August 2017, 20:17   #26188
BHPian

Updated my Nexus 5X via the Beta program, but you get the final version not beta.

Not much has changed, except the UI has got 'whiter'. The icons are all messed up with some round and some squares and the rest of the regular icons.

A bit sluggish compared to Nougat. Facebook stutters noticeably. I guess it will take a couple of minor versions for it to become fluid. Even the initial version of Nougat was sluggish.

Am happy that a phone with just 2 gigs of RAM could run the latest Android. I guess this could be the last major Android update for the Nexus lineup.
Old 23rd August 2017, 22:49   #26189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
This is standard practice. Why, the, you do not pay for updates. However, there are third party versions of Android OS which work quite nicely. Cyanogenmod is one which is very good and popular.
Okay if that's the case then I think there should be a 'pay for updates' option. I am quite sure lot of people would gladly take that. At present we are forced to buy a new & latest phone after 2 years if we want to get the new OS updates as well!
Old 24th August 2017, 01:05   #26190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Most of the manufacturers (Google, OnePlus, Moto, Nokia etc.) don't seem to support their phone for security and OS updates beyond 2 years from the launch date of the phone. Even if I have the latest hardware spec phone I am really not sure the benefit if after 2 years it's going to no longer going to get the updates. I am talking about the 30K+ and 40K+ phones here. Do not have an issue for under 20K+ phones. At least for the high end phones upgrade should be provided for 4 to 5 years at least or upgrade should be provided until there is a technical challenge. Apple seem much better on this.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post4251933 should answer your queries.

Apple supports updates but they only make the phone lag visibly. My ipad2 is still usable after six years, because I stopped updating it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks