Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2017, 21:10   #25936
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

O+5 really does not feel that much more flagship-py. I am talking purely from a design or a spec perspective. A flagship phone from most of the other manufacturers have a Quad HD display and IP67/68 protection. The 0+5 is still sticking to the FullHD resolution that they introduced in the origianl O+1 but with an amoled display now. This is just a phone with a very capable processor and RAM beyond what anybody practically requires. If these are the only 2 specs that you care for, then this is the phone of choice for you.

Now for the pricing. Suddenly the LG G6 and S7 seems better priced as they offer much more for their pricing than the O+5. The Quad HD screen and the water proofing is very welcome for a few thousands more.

The only place where I see the O+ still trumping is their guarantee that rooting the phone will not void the warranty.
Old 24th June 2017, 11:52   #25937
BANNED

Wait for the Mi6 and everyone's wishes shall be granted! It is splash resistant and has an IR blaster.
Old 24th June 2017, 22:28   #25938
Distinguished - BHPian

So, I received my OP5 this evening, my 2nd OP phone after my OP2 which I have retained and is still running strong.

The OP5 looks and feels very similar to an IP7+ but seems compact and lighter. It's very well made. And oh wow..this thing is a screamer even when compared to my Pixel XL. For the price I can't have asked for more.

Now to find a nice case and screen protector.

Last edited by R2D2 : 24th June 2017 at 22:49. Reason: typo
Old 25th June 2017, 08:23   #25939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
So, I received my OP5 this evening
The logistics and shipping of products seems to be far better in India that in the US. I purchased the OP5, both the 6Gb and 8Gb RAM versions in the US on the 20th and it was due to be delivered in Chicago on the 23rd. I have now got a revised delayed date of 27th with a 5$ credit for the delay in shipping...
Old 26th June 2017, 09:51   #25940
Team-BHP Support

For the past 3/4 years, used quite a lot of android phones, mostly Samsung [S4, A5 [2016], S7] with a fling of Nexus and the iPhones.

I happened to gift Mi to wife and I must say, it is much more fluid than most Samsungs I have used. Her phone is usually packed with apps and pics/videos but still, there is no lag/bloat. Everything works seamlessly. It is the 3S.

I am merely sharing a [personal] experience
Old 26th June 2017, 10:37   #25941
Distinguished - BHPian

Just read that Huwaei has announced the launch of Honor 8 Pro for Indian market. This, they say, will give a tough fight to OnePlus 5.

Specs are top of the line with Kirin 960, 2.45 GHz, 6 GB ram, rear Dual Camera (12+12 MP) etc. Cokes with an IR blaster as well, if am not wrong. Overall, looks an impressive package and now waiting to see the price. If its a couple of thousands less than the 128 GB version of Oneplus 5, am sure will be a worthy contender. Saw a speed test Vs S8+ and this blew it out of the water.

Edit: Moto G5 Plus has a 1000/- discount on Amazon for the 32 GB variant. Flipkart is still on 17,000/-

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th June 2017 at 10:38.
Old 26th June 2017, 14:49   #25942
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Edit: Moto G5 Plus has a 1000/- discount on Amazon for the 32 GB variant. Flipkart is still on 17,000/-
Doesn't the Lenovo P2 make more sense than this one? The 3GB/32GB variant is available on Flipkart for Rs.12999 for the next three days.

Also how about the Redmi Note 4 (4GB/64GB variant)?
Old 26th June 2017, 22:11   #25943
Senior - BHPian

To me, the One Plus 5 seems to indicate that the team has run out of ideas.
I bought One Plus 3T for my dad in January, since the price refused to budge and he needed a phone that could support lot of social media apps.
I also bought a pre-owned S7 Edge for the missus who was upgrading from an LG Vu2 after 3 years. The S7 edge was also able to hold on to its price very firmly.

(indoor photos of both these phones is not as good as what the marketing guys state)

I was looking at OP 5 for myself, though not in any hurry.

Somehow I feel that the cell phone industry is taking us for a ride.
Some phones are more expensive than scooters.
Old 26th June 2017, 23:03   #25944
Senior - BHPian

Can we do mobile phone insurance online?

Any 3rd party phone insurance providers?
Old 26th June 2017, 23:45   #25945
BHPian

Still couldn't decide upon a replacement for my Nexus 5X. Have a budget of around 20k. I need a phone that has good support on XDA, a good camera, battery to last me through a day and good output from the headphone jack. I was thinking of getting the iPhone SE but sceptical about iOS and also a lot of projects that I have planned require an Android device. I don't want to get a Moto G5 Plus as I have already owned a G 2nd Gen and a G4 Plus (which my Mom uses now) in the past. Suggestions needed!

Neel
Old 27th June 2017, 00:18   #25946
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Doesn't the Lenovo P2 make more sense than this one? The 3GB/32GB variant is available on Flipkart for Rs.12999 for the next three days.

Also how about the Redmi Note 4 (4GB/64GB variant)?
I am not a big fan of Lenovo as a brand, so kind of avoid it. Redmi note 4 could be a great buy, but I think they lag on camera quality and hence a no for me.

G5 plus on the other hand has good reviews about the camera, somehow I feel they charged a premium for the specs offered on G5 plus Vs G4 plus.
Old 27th June 2017, 00:24   #25947
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Still couldn't decide upon a replacement for my Nexus 5X. Have a budget of around 20k. I need a phone that has good support on XDA, a good camera, battery to last me through a day and good output from the headphone jack. I was thinking of getting the iPhone SE but sceptical about iOS and also a lot of projects that I have planned require an Android device. I don't want to get a Moto G5 Plus as I have already owned a G 2nd Gen and a G4 Plus (which my Mom uses now) in the past. Suggestions needed!

Neel
Wait for the Samsung J7 Pro. It's coming next month and seems a perfect fit for your requirements.

https://shop.samsung.com/in/j7-pro.html
Old 27th June 2017, 10:00   #25948
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post

Neel
I just noticed that Honor 8 retails for less than 20K on Amazon. Might fit your need. I believe it comes with a dual camera, not sure about the XDA support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Just read that Huwaei has announced the launch of Honor 8 Pro for Indian market. This, they say, will give a tough fight to OnePlus 5...
The launch is on 06 Jul 2017 and will be an Amazon exclusive.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th June 2017 at 10:13.
Old 27th June 2017, 10:07   #25949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Wait for the Samsung J7 Pro. It's coming next month and seems a perfect fit for your requirements.

https://shop.samsung.com/in/j7-pro.html

The J7 pro with an exynos processor may never really get good XDA/ custom rom support.
Stick to the snapdragon line, and obviously a popular device for a larger rom pool.
Old 27th June 2017, 19:42   #25950
BHPian

Any suggestions for a sub 15k device ? Galaxy on nxt 64gb looks good on paper.

Most Viewed