Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2017, 23:06   #25801
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Wouldn't want to go beyond 30K so Pixel is out of the question.
Since you dont want to go beyond 30k, OnePlus is a good option in this price range with almost stock android experience with very few useful customization. The oneplus 5 is going to be announced on 22nd June and is rumored to be around 32000 to 35000. Should be a good option at that price. Else the price of the OnePlus 3T will surely come down by a couple of thousands at least from the current 30k price. 3T is also a good choice and it should surely keep the phone going for a few years at least with the specifications it currently has.
Old 8th June 2017, 23:13   #25802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Carried conservative approach and went for the 1st option. Got internal battery replaced for 1K. Hope to use my HTC for some more time.

I almost bought Galaxy S8 plus, but the battery replacement option seemed better for my capital. Will get my phone from service center tomorrow.

Now waiting for iPhone 8
Chucked the conservative approach and went for Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus.

HTC's battery was not holding up quite well even after replacement with aftermarket internal battery. Will use it as my secondary phone.

S8 plus is actually a compact phone, doesn't feel like a 6.2". My HTC Desire 816 with 5.5" screen is too bulky when compared to S8 plus.

The camera is simply awesome especially its performance in even extremely low light conditions.

Will post updated and detailed review after using the phone for some time.
Old 9th June 2017, 08:16   #25803
BHPian

Guys, I am looking to buy a 30k Android phone and budget cannot be increased as buying a tempered glass and back case will itself take away 1k, so 30k or 31k for phone max.

My requirements are:

- Android phone, size 5.0, 5.2 or 5.3 preferred (if i don't find, then 5.5 i can settle for as I am currently using Moto G4+ which is 5.5)
- 4GB RAM preferred (can settle for 3GB ram if phone & brand is extra ordinary)
- Need 2 sim slot & 1 SD card slot - so hybrid slot phones out
- Not going for Vivos & Oppos

I considered following:

- OP3T - Everything was fine and this was but for SD card. Still have kept in the list, if nothing else fits then i will buy this
- Honor 8 - Same problem, its hybrid slot
- LG G5 - Same problem, its hybrid slot
- Xperia X Dual - Same problem, its hybrid slot

I really have not followed Samsung much, so don't know if I should consider them. Please help me out.

Thanks in advance.
KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 9th June 2017 at 08:20.
Old 9th June 2017, 08:44   #25804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post

I really have not followed Samsung much, so don't know if I should consider them. Please help me out.

Thanks in advance.
KK
You can also consider the Samsung A7 (2016) and A7 (2017) models. I just bought the A7 2016 version a few days back at 19,400 approx and it is quite good even with 3 Gb ram and 3300Mah battery and a 5.5 inch screen. The battery life is great and lasts 1 1/2 days. It has dual sim slots and a SD card slot (separately). The India version is A710FD. Sar rating is also good at 0.38w/kg.
The A7 2017 version adds IP68 protection and some other features, but I liked the design of the 2016 version more hence went for this instead. The 2017 version is around 33.5K.

Last edited by Behemoth : 9th June 2017 at 08:45.
Old 9th June 2017, 10:02   #25805
Senior - BHPian

The One+5

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-oneplus5officialed.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-one5.jpg

A iPhone 7+ clone?

Source : https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/08/...ficial-teaser/

Cheers...
Old 9th June 2017, 10:06   #25806
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Pricing as per GSMarena source for the One plus 5 are 32,999 and 37,999 respectively for the 6GB 64Gb and 8GB 128 GB (Ram, Storage) versions. Design wise it may look similar to Iphone, but performance wise it will be very fast!

http://m.gsmarena.com/oneplus_5_indi...news-25499.php

It is launching on June 20th in India.
Old 9th June 2017, 10:12   #25807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
Bootloop is just a software issue, probably a bad ROM/kernel flash as you mentioned you've been doing it. You can easily fix it instead of going for a new phone.
Not really. Its a hardware related issue with some solder joints. Many 5X owners have been facing this all over the globe. Surprisingly, it can be thermally manipulated. I could retrieve my data after keeping it in the freezer for 12h and thanks to backing up most of my stuff to Google Drive as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Exactly my situation. My 5x too gave up with the boot loop issue a month back and AFAIK there is solution to get this working again. I too was an ardent Nexus fan since Nexus 3, followed by 4,5,5X and even the 7 tab. Surprisingly there are some very good choices in the 12-15k budget and I recently bought a Honor 6X and it's been a fabulous choice so far. Great screen, camera, amazing battery life, very good network connectivity and something that I have sorely missed in all my Nexus devices, expandable memory. I think this and the MI Note 4 are the best buys in this budget and I think either of these will be a worthy successor to your Nexus.
Thanks!

That's what I was thinking too. The Honor 6X is great, love it, but don't quite like the UI (emotionUI or something) that Huwaei provides. The disappointment is the custom ROM support isn't too good as it isn't a Snapdragon device(that's my guess). The Redmi Note 4 is a good phone and has great XDA support, but I don't think I would be able to live with the camera after coming from the Nexus 5X and the replacement isnt too long right? I simply loved the 5X and this has left me pretty heartbroken.

These things are steering me towards the iPhone SE. The screen size isn't too much of a problem for me. However, I was thinking of getting into Android development but that won't be possible if I don't get a cheap Android again. The SE is sure to last me 2 years though. Not sure if I'll like the switch to iOS, as I was (still quite am) a customization freak. Quite a dilemma to be in!

Neel
Old 9th June 2017, 11:07   #25808
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone confirm if the unlimited storage offered in Pixel phones is for life or only during the support period?

Two years of software update and three years of security upgrades sounds very less if storage is not free for life.

The mobile is back in stock in Flipkart and my Nexus 5 will be 4 years old this November hence the thought of replacing it 😀
Old 9th June 2017, 11:20   #25809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Any way of disabling Bixby. I think it is a pain, so will like to at least stop this loading at every start from standby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Did not even try as Bixby is not at all interfering with my activities and usage of the phone ( not even after starting from standby ). I am not sure if there is a particular option to disable it.
Thought you could reassign the bixby button for something else? Remember reading about it on xda or gsmarena. Check it out.

Quote:
Guys, I am looking to buy a 30k Android phone and budget cannot be increased as buying a tempered glass and back case will itself take away 1k, so 30k or 31k for phone max.

- OP3T - Everything was fine and this was but for SD card. Still have kept in the list, if nothing else fits then i will buy this

Thanks in advance.
KK
LG V20? Last checked it was at 31,500 on amazon.
Old 9th June 2017, 11:26   #25810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
You can also consider the Samsung A7 (2016) and A7 (2017) models. I just bought the A7 2016 version a few days back at 19,400 approx and it is quite good even with 3 Gb ram and 3300Mah battery and a 5.5 inch screen. The battery life is great and lasts 1 1/2 days. It has dual sim slots and a SD card slot (separately). The India version is A710FD. Sar rating is also good at 0.38w/kg.
The A7 2017 version adds IP68 protection and some other features, but I liked the design of the 2016 version more hence went for this instead. The 2017 version is around 33.5K.
I think A7 is 5.7 or 6 incher, which I can't manage. I am looking at 5 to 5.3 at best or last is 5.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

LG V20? Last checked it was at 31,500 on amazon.
I checked that but it is large to my liking, so dropped it.

KK
Old 9th June 2017, 11:30   #25811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post

It is launching on June 20th in India.
In fact it is launching on June 22nd in India.

https://oneplusstore.in/launch2017
Old 9th June 2017, 11:36   #25812
BHPian

Quote:

My requirements are:

- Android phone, size 5.0, 5.2 or 5.3 preferred (if i don't find, then 5.5 i can settle for as I am currently using Moto G4+ which is 5.5)

K
You can check out the Moto Z Play / Moto Z2 Play.
The Z Play was a battery champ and came with 3GB RAM / 32 GB storage. With Z2 Play, they have reduced the battery size to 3000 mah to make it slimmer but it should still be good enough since it has an efficient processor. It comes with 4 GB RAM and 64 GB storage now and the camera hardware is improved compared to 1st gen. It also has dedicated SD card slot and dual sim. Priced at 28k but there are some pre-order offers on exchange and moto mods, which may or may not be useful to you.
Old 9th June 2017, 14:40   #25813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The One+5

A iPhone 7+ clone?

Source : https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/08/...ficial-teaser/

Cheers...
Definitely a 7+ clone Didn't expect this from OnePlus.
Old 9th June 2017, 15:56   #25814
BHPian

Quote:

My requirements are:

- Not going for Vivos & Oppos

I considered following:

Thanks in advance.
KK
One Plus 3T seems to fit perfectly in your cross-hairs. You can get the 128gb one if you're greedy for storage. Don't know what you'd need more than that for. It's pretty future-proof too with 6gb ram. Good build. Snappy. The works. Don't stress it. Go get it and enjoy.

I respect that you're avoiding Sammy. I'm not a fan either. Other options are Z2 Play. Also one thing you can consider is the HTC 10. 5.2 incher and solid hardware and build. Only, it's single sim.
Old 9th June 2017, 16:11   #25815
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
One Plus 3T seems to fit perfectly in your cross-hairs. You can get the 128gb one if you're greedy for storage......
128 GB variant doesn't seem available any longer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks