Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2017, 11:42   #25771
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Take the plunge, go for the S8 : as you said, you only live once.
That's exactly what I thought when I bought the S3. Now when I think that I paid 30+K over that thing, am sure money was not well spent. 50+K for the S8 is a lot of money. Am not sure you get enough value out of it compared to an MI5 or an OP3T.
Old 2nd June 2017, 12:02   #25772
BHPian

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
That's exactly what I thought when I bought the S3. Now when I think that I paid 30+K over that thing, am sure money was not well spent. 50+K for the S8 is a lot of money. Am not sure you get enough value out of it compared to an MI5 or an OP3T.

The difference is the level of service, and internal structural quality.
A good portion of cost gets recovered during resale if you keep it for around 2 years since brands like OP have pathetic resale due to non availability of spares, and not very decent official service (My sister has an OP2).

For a device which takes up a significant part of my life, the entire package is very important to me : Id rather buy a Samsung C7/Samsung A7, get the smaller iphone SE or buy a 6S in the 25-35k range. Heck, even the Moto Z play would do.

I have absolutely nothing against the OP or MIs, but im not ready to buy premium devices from them.

I generally tend to find phones a month old, which are being sold due to various reasons. Get them evaluated and pick them up at huge savings. Got my iphone 7+ (1 month old and scratchless) for 55k when amazon retail for 65k and offline was at 68k

My last phone was an iphone 6 ( again a month old) which i paid 41k for, when offline pricing was 50k and amazon was at around 48.5k. Used it for exactly 2 years, in which it was replaced by apple once due to a very minor structural problem. Sold at 19k. Perfect bang for buck 🙂.

Best deal i got was a 3 day old HTC One m7 back in 2013, paid 35k for a phone billed at 41500.
Old 2nd June 2017, 12:17   #25773
Senior - BHPian

The LGV20 is still a relevant phone and prices have dropped like crazy. Amazon has the silver at 35k!

Excellent phone at that price. Dual Cams, Removable battery, Amazing Quad-DACs, SD820, Memory card slot et all.

And i think the G6 is at 41k or so.
Old 2nd June 2017, 14:54   #25774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
The LGV20 is still a relevant phone and prices have dropped like crazy. Amazon has the silver at 35k!

Excellent phone at that price. Dual Cams, Removable battery, Amazing Quad-DACs, SD820, Memory card slot et all.

And i think the G6 is at 41k or so.
WOW! That dicounts part is great to know. That phone is a gem. If I knew that I would have suggested V20 too. Why, I'd buy that baby just for her Quad-DACs! The last time I saw, it was somewhere almost near 60k.

The only difference between V20 and G6 is, amongst other minor tweaks, 820 vs 821 processor, if I'm not mistaken. And the design, of course.
Old 2nd June 2017, 15:16   #25775
Senior - BHPian

The display as well. And you get water resistance too
Old 3rd June 2017, 12:53   #25776
BHPian

Hi, I would be needing some serious advice from you guys with regards to my mobile phone purchase. I had always set a limit on the phone purchase as 15k due to financial constraints. But once the One plus 2 was launched, i was hooked onto it and finally got one for 25k last January. Used to use a Moto G ( 1st Gen ) before.

Now after the last update one plus released, the performance of the phone has gone for a toss. Battery life is hardly 3 to 4 hours and it takes between 6 to 7 hrs to charge completely.

I am absolutely confused whether to go for a new phone or root the OP2 and put a custom ROM to it. I really love this phone and the build quality is amazing.

Does it really make sense to go for a phone at the range of 50-60k or should i stick within the range of 15-25k ?

So sorry for these stupid questions but spending 50 to 60k for a phone is a hell lot. You can probably buy a motorcycle for the same amount of money.

I am really tilting towards the Iphone 7 / Galaxy S8 as well . No clue whether it is a good investment to spend this much money on a phone.

Any help with gadget freaks / gurus here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 13:53   #25777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
I had always set a limit on the phone purchase as 15k due to financial constraints.

I am absolutely confused whether to go for a new phone or root the OP2 and put a custom ROM to it

Does it really make sense to go for a phone at the range of 50-60k or should i stick within the range of 15-25k ?

Thanks
To your point on custom ROM, if you have found that it solves the problem then please install them by all means. As long as custom ROMs are not a messy hack job (it is where sources are not easily available), it makes sense to use them especially for an otherwise well built and decent spec device.

I can speak for myself that my usage never warranted a top of the line device. And that's when I use my phone a lot. But then, I also root my devices to extract the most out of them.

Most of the so called mid range devices perform pretty well in day to day usage and the only gains that I see in going for premium range, is a top class camera or/and gorilla screen or/and the latest processor. Long term support is also a key factor in favour of premium phones. But then a cheaper phone is easy to replace too. Barring long term support, all the others are available for mid range phones too. And which is why I consider anything +15k as a fairly expensive phone. Also the gains in processing and battery consumption for a premium phone are not drastically high than a mid range phone.

Despite having said that, a 50-60k phone will be better than a 10-20k phone, period. So the question that you have to answer is that by buying a mid range phone, are you going to lose out on some critical functionality leading to sub par experience? If the answer to that is yes then you should purchase a 50-60k phone. Though your experience with OP2 suggests that it performed well no matter what you threw at it.
Old 3rd June 2017, 15:24   #25778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
To your point on custom ROM, if you have found that it solves the problem then please install them by all means. As long as custom ROMs are not a messy hack job (it is where sources are not easily available), it makes sense to use them especially for an otherwise well built and decent spec device.
Despite having said that, a 50-60k phone will be better than a 10-20k phone, period. So the question that you have to answer is that by buying a mid range phone, are you going to lose out on some critical functionality leading to sub par experience? If the answer to that is yes then you should purchase a 50-60k phone. Though your experience with OP2 suggests that it performed well no matter what you threw at it.
Thanks a lot for a prompt response. The things you have mentioned are absolutely bang on what i had in my mind.

The only reason to select the OP2 was because of the performance aspect and build quality as it was a flagship unit as well. My usage also never warrants a flagship device but its always good to have a better performing machine all the time. My OP2 has never hung in the past 1.5 yrs. The only issue i face is because of updates which are not properly sorted. And i don't think one plus will be introducing any further update ( probably Android N ) on this device. This is what gets to me. I paid a hell lot of money for a flagship device at the time , and now the company has forgotten the owners of the OP2.

Anyway, answering your question, i don't think i will be losing any critical functionality by using a mid range device. The only criteria is that the phone should not lose its processing power and speed.

I guess i should root my device and add a custom ROM and see how it performs. Otherwise, a new device is always an option. its just the price factor of a few devices i like hurts the most.

Lastly, as i plan to change my phone every 1 to 2 yrs, depreciation will also hit as well on the devices which are in the range of 50 to 60k . So will need to think logically as well.

Cheers

Last edited by Aditya : 4th June 2017 at 17:10. Reason: Trimming quoted text for benefit of mobile phone users
Old 3rd June 2017, 17:01   #25779
BHPian

Quote:

And i don't think one plus will be introducing any further update ( probably Android N ) on this device. This is what gets to me. I paid a hell lot of money for a flagship device at the time , and now the company has forgotten the owners of the OP2.
This is exactly what happened to me within 7-8 months of buying the then Samsung flagship s3. I haven't bothered to look at the flagships since then. Thankfully, manufacturers such as xiaomi, Motorola have also come onto the scene in a big way.

I have used a redmi note 3 2gb/16gb and am now using a redmi note 4 4gb/64gb. Pretty happy with the performance of both the devices. The only thing holding back note 3 was a 2gb ram on stock miui, though it still runs pretty well on a custom android 7.1 ROM. Coming off from nexus 4, 2gb then always seemed more than enough. Point to be noted is that if you go for a mid range device make sure you pack enough ram + storage for future. By the way, both devices are within 15k price range.
Old 3rd June 2017, 17:03   #25780
BHPian

Quote:

I guess i should root my device and add a custom ROM and see how it performs. Otherwise, a new device is always an option. its just the price factor of a few devices i like hurts the most.
Cheers
I would have done the same. I had a OnePlus one for two years and after the first year, switched to custom ROM. That really brought the device to life. OnePlus phones have powerful top of the line hardware. If performance is your priority, don't look elsewhere.
Old 3rd June 2017, 18:36   #25781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I have a 5 year old Nexus 4 which I use as a driving companion with all the navigation/gps apps, OBD scanners, HUD displays etc. It works beautifully except for poor battery. I have a 8GB model and always wished I purchased a 16 GB one (no microSD slot in Nexus 4)

Now I got another Nexus 4 16GB, which is very sparingly used. Display was cracked few years back and the phone was in storage.

My initial thought was to replace the display from my Nexus 4 8GB to the 16GB; but now I think I will just swap the motherboards so that I dont need to worry about the removal of display.

Will the swap of motherboards work without any issues?
Just to update, I swapped the motherboards and camera module myself; and I have a working 16GB Nexus 4 now. It took less than 30 minutes for the swap.
Old 3rd June 2017, 23:06   #25782
BHPian

Hi all,

So my Nexus 5X finally gave in to the bootloop issue. Doesn't seem like I am going to get it working again normally. So now, I need a new phone.

Don't want to spend a lot, but I want the phone to last me for about a couple of years without any problem. I have been an Android enthusiast till now and all my phone(Moto G2, G4 Plus, 5X) have been modded with custom ROMs, kernels and other mods and of course, root access. The Nexus 5X has been my most favorite device till date and this incident totally has me heartbroken, as I had no plans to buy a new phone any soon. After this, I don't think I am going to spend more than 12-15k on an Android.

I use my phone for everyday things like maintain my calendar, the regular WhatsApp, Facebook, Insta, Quora, Quizup, and of course, calls. I use the phone camera a lot too. I listen to a lot of music too so good audio output is very much appreciated! Some very close friends are suggesting iPhones but they are pretty much out of my budget and the only one I think I can stretch my budget to is the SE, which frankly, is a device I love. I was also thinking about getting new/used OP3/OP3T after the OP5 launch but that doesn't seem to take place before 15th of this month, and I am stranded here.

Suggestions please. I am really in a dilemma here. Thanks in advance.

Neel
Old 3rd June 2017, 23:13   #25783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Hi all,

So my Nexus 5X finally gave in to the bootloop issue. Doesn't seem like I am going to get it working again normally. So now, I need a new phone.

Bootloop is just a software issue, probably a bad ROM/kernel flash as you mentioned you've been doing it. You can easily fix it instead of going for a new phone.
Old 3rd June 2017, 23:24   #25784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Hi all,

So my Nexus 5X finally gave in to the bootloop issue. Doesn't seem like I am going to get it working again normally. So now, I need a new phone. I have been an Android enthusiast till now and all my phone(Moto G2, G4 Plus, 5X) have been modded with custom ROMs, kernels and other mods and of course, root access. The Nexus 5X has been my most favorite device till date and this incident totally has me heartbroken, as I had no plans to buy a new phone any soon. After this, I don't think I am going to spend more than 12-15k on an Android.

Neel
Exactly my situation. My 5x too gave up with the boot loop issue a month back and AFAIK there is solution to get this working again. I too was an ardent Nexus fan since Nexus 3, followed by 4,5,5X and even the 7 tab. Surprisingly there are some very good choices in the 12-15k budget and I recently bought a Honor 6X and it's been a fabulous choice so far. Great screen, camera, amazing battery life, very good network connectivity and something that I have sorely missed in all my Nexus devices, expandable memory. I think this and the MI Note 4 are the best buys in this budget and I think either of these will be a worthy successor to your Nexus.

Last edited by SPARKled : 3rd June 2017 at 23:25.
Old 4th June 2017, 07:48   #25785
BANNED

I am quite delighted by my Galaxy S8. Took some getting used to, but now I think I am getting the hang of it. In the past two years I had forgotten how smooth the top end phones are as compared to the lower stuff. Also the screen i great. Only one regret, I do not like the so called AI based helper. Maybe I will learn in time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks