Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2018, 09:10   #27436
Senior - BHPian

Saw a interesting video comparison of OnePlus 6 and Honor 10 today. And as a owner of both the phones in the house, I would have to agree with most of this reviewer's honest observations.

And now with EIS on board, H10 clearly edges the OP6 in the camera department.

Cheers...
Old 20th June 2018, 12:18   #27437
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Also cleared the phone cache after this update and refreshed Maps data and voila the Google Location issue is now solved.
A bit more info on this part would be appreciated. Any links if you followed or did it on your own.

Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 12:38   #27438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
A bit more info on this part would be appreciated. Any links if you followed or did it on your own.
How to Clear Cache on Honor 10 -

- Switch off phone.
- Press Power + Vol UP button for 15-20 seconds till you get the Recovery Screen (AFTER the Honor Startup logo)
- Select Wipe Cache partition option (scroll with Vol up or down button and power button to select)
- After that select Reboot System now

If you are having location sharing issues, kindly follow the further few steps -

After the phone restarts -
Go to Google Maps app. Clear it's cache. Then Clear all data of Maps. Restart phone. Restart Maps app.

Then go to Settings - Google (Google Services) - Location - Ensure that location mode is High Accuracy - Then tap 3 dots on top right corner - enter scan settings - ensure that both WiFi and Bluetooth scanning are ticked on - home - restart phone. This will give you pinpoint location accuracy. WiFi scanning is off by default.

Cheers...

PS - also ensure all your previous phones, if any, are unticked in Location Sharing. This can interfere with accurate location sharing.

Last edited by dkaile : 20th June 2018 at 12:44.
Old 20th June 2018, 15:31   #27439
Team-BHP Support

Thanks, because of your precise direction, I cleared cache without any issue. Thanks again
I did not have location or any issue with Google maps so I didn't fiddle with them.

And that video did mention of this phone being splash proof, I wish I could spot a video on You Tube of it.

Last edited by Sheel : 20th June 2018 at 15:33.
Old 20th June 2018, 15:58   #27440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And that video did mention of this phone being splash proof, I wish I could spot a video on You Tube of it.
I did post a video about that a few posts back

Though they officially don't claim that due to certification costs and misuse claims, but these newer generation circuitry are pretty well insulated. I presume OnePlus 6 will take the same abuse.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 20th June 2018 at 16:02.
Old 21st June 2018, 10:25   #27441
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh dear, I wish I'd been following this thread carefully recently, but I had no idea of buying a new phone.

Yesterday, my X-Play was lost. Probably accidentally tipped out of the car from my wife's lap.

Today: I have to catch a plane. No time for due consideration or proper choice. I went to a phone shop and bought a phone. In a minute we will go out and get the new sims.

Quick decision for a new not-very expensive phone: Oppo A83. Have been a bit intrigued by the brand; now own one. 11k. Hope I did not make a stupid buy. Be honest wit me!
Old 27th June 2018, 13:49   #27442
Distinguished - BHPian

A few days later...

Oppo A83: I dislike it. We are not going to get on together.

It tries very hard to prevent me doing simple things like changing default apps. Silly warnings. With SMS it actually reset it! This is sub-microsoft so-it-our-way attitude, which I can't live with. Time widgets don't update, even if I unchecked them in the power management. arghhh!

And this may not be just oppo, but is all android a sea of advertising? Good grief, its worse than TV! I speak as someone who has used a rooted phone almost since I began with Android a few years back.

Rooting this one... Doesn't look straightforward.

I'm in UK, I won't do anything until I get back home next month. And then, what phone?

Must be able to unlock bootloader, must be able to load custom recovery. Must have freedom to load alternative Rom.

Budget 10-15k. From posts here and seeing it in the shops, thinking Honor 9 lite. Could increase the budget: it is just that phones isn't something I really enjoy spending money on.

Help?
Old 27th June 2018, 14:39   #27443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And this may not be just oppo, but is all android a sea of advertising? Good grief, its worse than TV! I speak as someone who has used a rooted phone almost since I began with Android a few years back.
I have a feeling this subject is verboten here, but here goes...

I see nearly 0 ads on my Android phone. This is what I do:

1. Use the browser (Chrome) with Javascript turned off. Settings > Site Settings > Javascript.

2. Have exceptions for a few, hand-picked sites that I do need to work. My list is: my company's website, several Google properties, few Amazon properties etc. None actually are ad-supported.

3. News/text content sites sometimes have broken UX if Javascript is disabled. For those I have this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....articlereader - which in my view is the single most useful app on the Play Store. :-)

4. In-app advertising: If I like an app, I pay for it. If the app hasn't got a paid version, I most probably won't like it.

That "nearly 0" is not correct; since I watch World Cup matches via the Tata Sky app which streams ads.
Old 27th June 2018, 15:21   #27444
Distinguished - BHPian

I pay for my favourite apps too, when possible. I block the ads, so it is only fair. But I'd still rather just root, Adblock and be done.

Added to which, I used Layers and Xposed on my previous phone. Not heavily, but just the few tweeks that make it feel right.
Old 29th June 2018, 06:36   #27445
BHPian

Honor 10 users, please let me know if you are able to use Android Auto continously throughout your drive.

In my case, it keeps getting disconnected very frequently and this has become really annoying.

I have changed the settings for Android Auto and Google Maps to manage battery manually. Still there's very frequent disconnection between the phone and head unit Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT.

Please advice.
Old 29th June 2018, 08:47   #27446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
In my case, it keeps getting disconnected very frequently and this has become really annoying.
Sometimes it could be a faulty cable. Change it and see?

In my wife's case the body cover was affecting the snug fit of the cable. She changed it and things became fine.
Old 29th June 2018, 09:15   #27447
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Honor 10 users, please let me know if you are able to use Android Auto continously throughout your drive.

I have changed the settings for Android Auto and Google Maps to manage battery manually..
Your car's HU is stock, no?

I have used Android Auto in the Swift and I faced no disconnection issues. I didn't try to sync the maps, but music over bluetooth [amazon music] plays just fine.

Had I read your PM as well as this post earlier, I would have tried in my Scorpio 4WD as well.

Promise to update on maps on both cars in next few days. I don't think I am going for a long drive in the next 3-4 days. So, once that happens, will update.

BTW, are you asking about Android Auto via USB or via its application? I never tried Android Auto via USB, but did try Car Play and it was awesome.
Old 29th June 2018, 10:10   #27448
BHPian

Quote:
Your car's HU is stock, no?

BTW, are you asking about Android Auto via USB or via its application? I never tried Android Auto via USB, but did try Car Play and it was awesome.
I have an aftermarket unit Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT.

Yes, I wanted to you test by connecting your Honor 10 to your stock headunit and try playing Andriod Auto from your Headunit. Please test Google Maps from the headunit too.
Old 29th June 2018, 11:12   #27449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Must be able to unlock bootloader, must be able to load custom recovery. Must have freedom to load alternative Rom.

Budget 10-15k. From posts here and seeing it in the shops, thinking Honor 9 lite. Could increase the budget: it is just that phones isn't something I really enjoy spending money on.

Help?
If you want to unlock bootloader, then Huawei is ruled out. They have taken a decision to stop bootloader unlock for all new devices. For existing devices, you have till July 22 (iirc) to unlock bootloader, but I'm not sure how the custom ROM scene will be for such devices as there may not be many developers willing to work on them.

I guess Moto G range and Redmi Note 5 are the 2 options you can consider.

Edit: Mi A2 is expected to be launched soon, so that's another option. But if it is based on Mi 6x as expected, then it will not have a headphone jack.

Last edited by JonSnow : 29th June 2018 at 11:16.
Old 29th June 2018, 13:52   #27450
Senior - BHPian

Note 8 users, any recommendations for a suitable case and tempered glass ? I need a case which has a cut-out for the fingerprint sensor, as it becomes easier to use with that. Most cases seem to be missing this cut-out.

Also, what screenguard/tempered glass do I use ? I've bought the gadgetshiledz full body cover for now. Most tempered glass seem to peel-off from the edges after a while is what i've read and the only option is some whitedome glass not available here

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks