Apologies for the late response. I am in Night shift and was sleeping the entire day.
Originally Posted by Dry Ice
That's a situation you have got yourself into! Try searching for odin and the India specific firmware - flash it through odin and see if it helps.I had also soft bricked my ace once - but since I was already running a custom rom - flashed a vanilla android rom through odin and was all set! Data was easy - had backups on google.
I downloaded Odin (126MB) from XDA.
But I am in a deadlock now.
The moment I plug in the data cable to the phone, it starts the charging mode and the phone starts going into infinite reboot loops.
So I am not sure how to start the flashing using Odin.
Originally Posted by Gokrish
Are you able to boot into safe mode? Switch off or remove the battery. Turn on the mobile, and hold the menu button till you see the home screen! If not able to boot, then it is soft bricked and you need to flash stock rom using Odin!
Thanks for the tip. I tried it, but the Menu (Options) button is non-responsive. Nothing happens even though I keep it touched.
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay
Oh dear... you need to do a recover data using non traditional methods now. Given that phone is not booting up :
1. Install a custom "Recovery". This is a "mini os" that boots prior to Actual android. "Recovery" is the screenshot you have posted, that is default Samsung "mini os". You need a more extensive "recovery".
Howto for this phone : http://www.android.gs/install-cwm-re...axy-ace-s5830/
2. Once done, boot into this recover, this would have an option of backing up the phone to a SD Card
3. Backup phone's data on SD card and then recover contacts / SMS / Photos etc on a PC
4. Once done, never turn off backups (if you don't trust Google, setup you own server on PC/laptop).
Thanks for the tip mate !!
In September last year, the phone started going into the slowest mode possible (Any operation used to take atleast 20 seconds). So I decided to Root it and install a custom ROM.
I had installed ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) and then installed a Custom ROM (I guess the Cyanogen Mod). My wife didn't like it as she was used to the Samsung stock ROM. So I tried to restore it back to stock, but something went wrong and I bricked the phone. Had to take it to a Samsung A.S.S and got the stock ROM installed at Rs.200.
Coming to current scenario, since the phone is already bricked, I am having little or no hope of getting back the data on it. I checked Kies and found that we had backed up Contacts and Messages in April this year. So we took a decision to format it to stock, and restore contacts and messages using the April backup.
So, I selected the Wipe Data / Factory Reset.
It did something and the phone rebooted. I kept my fingers crossed and saw the Samsung Galaxy Ace screen pop up, and then black and then back to the infinte loop.
So bottomline is, even factory reset isn't working.
I will see if I can put CWM and Cyanogen mod on the SD card and try to root the partition, install recovery and then the custom ROM. This is my project for the weekend.
On another note, my wife has been asking me since last September (when the phone literally died) to select a good phone for her. I have been giving her crap stories about no good phone in market.
But now I have realised my cruelty and finalised the Galaxy Grand 2 for her.
Primary features for consideration were -
- Big Screen (my Grand Neo is 5', so no less than my phone's screen size)
- Faster RAM (her Ace has 800 MB or so, and she was not happy with my Grand and Grand Neo's 1GB. She wanted more RAM)
- Decent processor (most of them are 1.2 Dual or Quad core).
- Branded phone (no MMX, XOLO, etc etc)
- Sony Xperia C was a close contendor, but we didn't like the design and the looks of the handset.
Haven't placed the order yet. Will place it tommorrow morning. Kindly advise if anything else can be considered. We have ruled out Motorola also, due to unknown A.S.S standard.