Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2014, 01:49   #18496
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

HELP NEEDED !!

My wife uses a Samsung Galaxy Ace from 2011.

Yesterday, all of a sudden, the phone restarted. My wife waited it to restart. But the phone restart just went in loops.
The Samsung Galaxy Ace screen comes and the phone reboots, in loops.
I entered the Android console using the Power + Menu + Volume Up buttons. It gave me the usual options to Reboot, Wipe Data, Install update.

I selected the Reboot option to reboot the mobile systematically (incase some files were missing). But that didn't help.

The option left for me is to select the option - Wipe Data, which will re-format the device to factory settings. I don't want to do it since my wife will loose all her contacts and other stuff on the handset.

Is there any other option left for us to try before I try the format option ?
Old 11th July 2014, 08:00   #18497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
The option left for me is to select the option - Wipe Data, which will re-format the device to factory settings. I don't want to do it since my wife will loose all her contacts and other stuff on the handset.

Is there any other option left for us to try before I try the format option ?
Do you see any option like clear Dalvik cache?

Even if you Format the phone, most of stuff like contacts/photos should already be in her gmail account. You can ask her to check contacts in her gmail to see if it does have contacts from phone.

Similarly, Google+ should have all photos.

After reset, all these should be restored to phone once she adds her google account to phone.
Old 11th July 2014, 08:11   #18498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Do you see any option like clear Dalvik cache?

Even if you Format the phone, most of stuff like contacts/photos should already be in her gmail account. You can ask her to check contacts in her gmail to see if it does have contacts from phone.

Similarly, Google+ should have all photos.

After reset, all these should be restored to phone once she adds her google account to phone.
Here is all that I get when i access the root.

Any suggestion, apart from formatting ?
Wifey would smash me if I format the phone because I had deactivated Contacts Sync :-(

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1405046444126.jpg

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 11th July 2014 at 08:19.
Old 11th July 2014, 09:19   #18499
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wifey would smash me if I format the phone because I had deactivated Contacts Sync :-(
That's a situation you have got yourself into! Try searching for odin and the India specific firmware - flash it through odin and see if it helps.

I had also soft bricked my ace once - but since I was already running a custom rom - flashed a vanilla android rom through odin and was all set! Data was easy - had backups on google.
Old 11th July 2014, 10:06   #18500
BHPian

Quote:
HELP NEEDED !!

My wife uses a Samsung Galaxy Ace from 2011.

Yesterday, all of a sudden, the phone restarted. My wife waited it to restart. But the phone restart just went in loops.
Are you able to boot into safe mode? Switch off or remove the battery. Turn on the mobile, and hold the menu button till you see the home screen! If not able to boot, then it is soft bricked and you need to flash stock rom using Odin!
Old 11th July 2014, 10:15   #18501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Aditya, yes 2 GB RAM is tempting, however I would suggest to wait and see how this phones with Intel Atom processors perform before placing order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The Atom has not had a great run in the mobile circuit. Had it been good, we should have seen a barrage of mobile products from Intel. You should get initial buyer impressions before you commit to it.
Thanks guys. I'm not looking to spend big money but need a phone that has no lag. My current Samsung Galaxy Ace+ has serious lag issues and the advanced task killer app needs to be constantly activated in aggressive mode to stop all the factory app's from samsung taking unnecessary memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
On the other side Moto E and G are already success stories. If camera is not important for you, I suggest go for Moto E/G as per your needs.
I would like a good camera. 8MP would do for starters. My current phone has a 5MP one and takes decent pics. I'd like an upgrade on this front too and hence the Moto is out of consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yeah and the Intel clover trail+ is basically the medfield with another X86 core and improved graphics. Intel are still on 32nM whereas others are 28nM and 22nM in the interest of power.
I have no idea what that means
Old 11th July 2014, 10:27   #18502
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Thanks guys. I'm not looking to spend big money but need a phone that has no lag. My current Samsung Galaxy Ace+ has serious lag issues and the advanced task killer app needs to be constantly activated in aggressive mode to stop all the factory app's from samsung taking unnecessary memory.
No lag means you should not look at anything else except the Moto G/Moto X or the Nexus series. Everything else has loads of bundled junk and will never be as slick as a stock Android.

If you need better camera then up your budget a bit to Moto X. Flipkart last week was giving 2K off which means 22K for the Moto X. Looks like that offer has gone now.

Quote:
It just means it's not worth it.
Old 11th July 2014, 11:25   #18503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1260354
Oh dear... you need to do a recover data using non traditional methods now. Given that phone is not booting up :

1. Install a custom "Recovery". This is a "mini os" that boots prior to Actual android. "Recovery" is the screenshot you have posted, that is default Samsung "mini os". You need a more extensive "recovery".

Howto for this phone : http://www.android.gs/install-cwm-re...axy-ace-s5830/

2. Once done, boot into this recover, this would have an option of backing up the phone to a SD Card

3. Backup phone's data on SD card and then recover contacts / SMS / Photos etc on a PC
4. Once done, never turn off backups (if you don't trust Google, setup you own server on PC/laptop).
Old 11th July 2014, 12:27   #18504
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
No lag means you should not look at anything else except the Moto G/Moto X or the Nexus series. Everything else has loads of bundled junk and will never be as slick as a stock Android.
+1. Moto-X would be perfect. Thanks to others coming in, Moto-X pricing has come down. Do check it out.

OT :The next product I hear from Moto is Moto-X+1 ! Nice way of teaching us Algebra.
Old 11th July 2014, 20:01   #18505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would like a good camera. 8MP would do for starters. My current phone has a 5MP one and takes decent pics. I'd like an upgrade on this front too and hence the Moto is out of consideration.

Don't fall into the fallacy of judging cameras based on MPs! Only compare the output.

Moto X does not have a cam worth it's price. Don't buy if cam quality is important.
Old 11th July 2014, 20:34   #18506
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Don't fall into the fallacy of judging cameras based on MPs! Only compare the output.
Possible. I have not seen good cameras on Moto. I had an Atrix2 and it was at best average.

Aditya,

You want to look at Sony? I use the ZR. Perfect from hardware point of view. Because it was an off-shoot of one of the sony flagship devices. But they cut-down on display specs (720p LCD Panel) to get the price down. 1.5 GHz Quad Core Krait CPU, 2GB RAM and a very nice camera (13 MP). And I just got a Kit Kat update as well.
Old 11th July 2014, 20:53   #18507
BHPian

Anyone using the Canvas Knight?? What is the public opinion regarding the Knight?

I was battling hard to decide between the Moto G/X when the Knight thought popped into my mind...
Old 12th July 2014, 01:11   #18508
Senior - BHPian

Apologies for the late response. I am in Night shift and was sleeping the entire day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
That's a situation you have got yourself into! Try searching for odin and the India specific firmware - flash it through odin and see if it helps.I had also soft bricked my ace once - but since I was already running a custom rom - flashed a vanilla android rom through odin and was all set! Data was easy - had backups on google.
I downloaded Odin (126MB) from XDA.
But I am in a deadlock now.
The moment I plug in the data cable to the phone, it starts the charging mode and the phone starts going into infinite reboot loops.
So I am not sure how to start the flashing using Odin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Are you able to boot into safe mode? Switch off or remove the battery. Turn on the mobile, and hold the menu button till you see the home screen! If not able to boot, then it is soft bricked and you need to flash stock rom using Odin!
Thanks for the tip. I tried it, but the Menu (Options) button is non-responsive. Nothing happens even though I keep it touched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Oh dear... you need to do a recover data using non traditional methods now. Given that phone is not booting up :

1. Install a custom "Recovery". This is a "mini os" that boots prior to Actual android. "Recovery" is the screenshot you have posted, that is default Samsung "mini os". You need a more extensive "recovery".

Howto for this phone : http://www.android.gs/install-cwm-re...axy-ace-s5830/

2. Once done, boot into this recover, this would have an option of backing up the phone to a SD Card

3. Backup phone's data on SD card and then recover contacts / SMS / Photos etc on a PC
4. Once done, never turn off backups (if you don't trust Google, setup you own server on PC/laptop).
Thanks for the tip mate !!

In September last year, the phone started going into the slowest mode possible (Any operation used to take atleast 20 seconds). So I decided to Root it and install a custom ROM.
I had installed ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) and then installed a Custom ROM (I guess the Cyanogen Mod). My wife didn't like it as she was used to the Samsung stock ROM. So I tried to restore it back to stock, but something went wrong and I bricked the phone. Had to take it to a Samsung A.S.S and got the stock ROM installed at Rs.200.

Coming to current scenario, since the phone is already bricked, I am having little or no hope of getting back the data on it. I checked Kies and found that we had backed up Contacts and Messages in April this year. So we took a decision to format it to stock, and restore contacts and messages using the April backup.

So, I selected the Wipe Data / Factory Reset.
It did something and the phone rebooted. I kept my fingers crossed and saw the Samsung Galaxy Ace screen pop up, and then black and then back to the infinte loop.

So bottomline is, even factory reset isn't working.

I will see if I can put CWM and Cyanogen mod on the SD card and try to root the partition, install recovery and then the custom ROM. This is my project for the weekend.

On another note, my wife has been asking me since last September (when the phone literally died) to select a good phone for her. I have been giving her crap stories about no good phone in market.

But now I have realised my cruelty and finalised the Galaxy Grand 2 for her.
Primary features for consideration were -
- Big Screen (my Grand Neo is 5', so no less than my phone's screen size)
- Faster RAM (her Ace has 800 MB or so, and she was not happy with my Grand and Grand Neo's 1GB. She wanted more RAM)
- Decent processor (most of them are 1.2 Dual or Quad core).
- Branded phone (no MMX, XOLO, etc etc)
- Sony Xperia C was a close contendor, but we didn't like the design and the looks of the handset.

Haven't placed the order yet. Will place it tommorrow morning. Kindly advise if anything else can be considered. We have ruled out Motorola also, due to unknown A.S.S standard.
Old 12th July 2014, 08:24   #18509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Anyone using the Canvas Knight?? What is the public opinion regarding the Knight?

I was battling hard to decide between the Moto G/X when the Knight thought popped into my mind...
The Knight is the phone with the Mediatek octa core CPU, right?

I would stay away from this one. I've heard a few reports saying that the CPU gets inadequate cooling, and hence the phone tends to really overheat.

@Soumyajit: Why not consider the HTC Desire 816? It certainly looks much prettier than the Grand 2, and has similar levels of performance, with a very good 13MP camera.

Last edited by Speed.Demon : 12th July 2014 at 08:42.
Old 12th July 2014, 09:30   #18510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
The Knight is the phone with the Mediatek octa core CPU, right?
Yes it is.
Online reviews seem pretty positive n VFM. Didn't see anything bout overheating issues. Will do a deeper search. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks