Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2016, 22:13   #23971
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Are you using a Launcher by any chance? I use Nova and it has an option for dark icons that has the exact effect you mention.
Thanks. It is Nova launcher indeed.

I selected Google launcher and it worked fine. Then I took backup of Nova launcher's settings and cleared data from Nova app. Restored backup and the problem reappeared. Then I again cleared data and did previous settings manually and it worked fine.

After reading your post, I came to know that it is "feature" of Nova launcher. Then searched for the option and found it. So, I restored my previous backup and disabled "Dark Icons".
Old 14th July 2016, 05:20   #23972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
This is precisely the reason why I hate Samsung and love my humble bare bones Moto E first gen. The trading app shuts down every 10 minutes in my S4 while the Moto needs only 1-2 logins in the entire trading day of 6.5 hours.
That's obviously Samsung's own bloat does not leave enough RAM for good multitasking. Its similar with MIUI on Xiaomi devices. At least the Mi3 and Mi Pad with 2 GB RAM behave similarly. If you get under the hood, you can also see that there is hardly enough RAM even for caching previously used apps. While I've observed 1 GB device running vanilla Android caching way more apps and also much better at multitasking. Also, you are possibly causing more wear to the hardware and also wasting battery life when the RAM has to keep swapping stuff so often. The latest phones are fast, so you don't observe the effect of this as you may have in earlier lower specced devices.

Someone has mentioned how you can lock apps in RAM, but hat won't help your case. That locking is effective only for manually clearing the apps in RAM. It won't affect the way the OS itself closes apps automatically, for want of enough "free" RAM.

Few posts further down, someone mentioned that RAM is for using and free RAM is wasted RAM. This is only a half truth. Its false when manufacturers like Samsung and heavy ROMs like MIUI think that most of the RAM is there for its own use, and not for the apps that the customer may want to use. Its true when you are considering say Vanilla or other better optimised ROMs.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th July 2016 at 12:47. Reason: Trimming quoted text
Old 14th July 2016, 10:01   #23973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
That's obviously Samsung's own bloat does not leave enough RAM for good multitasking.
Your reason seems accurate and that I think explains why the Moto E with just 1 GB RAM seems to have no problems whatsoever in keeping apps running.

How do the Apple phones fare in this regard ? I know this is blasphemous posting on an Android thread.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th July 2016 at 12:47. Reason: Trimming quoted text
Old 14th July 2016, 16:48   #23974
Senior - BHPian

^Unfortunately I don't have experience with iOS to be able to comment. But it is known to be much better optimized and lighter, so I would expect it to fare much better. Windows phones and it's apps also fare way better on much lower end hardware. It's Android and then it's manufacturers and ROMs that have brought this bloat hell to us, requiring us to spend on higher and higher end hardware.
Old 14th July 2016, 18:04   #23975
BHPian

I am in a sticky situation. Need your help/advice. I lost my company provided mobile and have to shell out money from my pocket. I recently plunged and bought an iphone 6s 64Gb. Because of this situation, I am planning to sell the iphone so that i can cut down on my emis and use an android for next 6 months or so. Any suggestions on a cheap but a good android phone which will last atleast 6 months or above? Budget would be 7k.

Edit: Wow!! the depreciation for a month old iphone 6s is huge!! :O

Last edited by sairamboko : 14th July 2016 at 18:33.
Old 14th July 2016, 18:37   #23976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I am in a sticky situation. Need your help/advice. I lost my company provided mobile and have to shell out money from my pocket. I recently plunged and bought an iphone 6s 64Gb. Because of this situation, I am planning to sell the iphone so that i can cut down on my emis and use an android for next 6 months or so. Any suggestions on a cheap but a good android phone which will last atleast 6 months or above? Budget would be 7k.

Edit: Wow!! the depreciation for a month old iphone 6s is huge!! :O
You can check out Lenovo K3 Note, which is receiving very good reviews.

http://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-k3-no...90713&srno=b_1
Old 16th July 2016, 01:24   #23977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Any suggestions on a cheap but a good android phone which will last atleast 6 months or above? Budget would be 7k.
Redmi 2/Redmi 2 prime is wonderful. My aunt bought it 2 months ago and she's extremely happy.
Old 16th July 2016, 09:05   #23978
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, I have to buy a phone for my wife in a month's time. Requirements are as follows:
Budget - 6-7 k
RAM - At least 2 GB
Screen - 5.5 or smaller
Good cameras
Fast processor
Good build quality

Will be mostly used for shopping, browsing, whatsapp and youtube.
Old 16th July 2016, 09:34   #23979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Redmi 2/Redmi 2 prime is wonderful. My aunt bought it 2 months ago and she's extremely happy.

Unfortunately Redmi 2 prime is not in sale anywhere
Old 16th July 2016, 09:47   #23980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Hi guys, I have to buy a phone for my wife in a month's time. Requirements are as follows:
Budget - 6-7 k
RAM - At least 2 GB
Screen - 5.5 or smaller
Good cameras
Fast processor
Good build quality

Will be mostly used for shopping, browsing, whatsapp and Youtube.

In your budget, I would recommend Lenovo K5 on Amazon or Lenovo P1m on Flipkart or if you can find Redmi 2 prime online. However, I ask you to reconsider the budget and go for the new Samsung On5 Pro available on Amazon. For 9k, it is possibly the best branded phone worth its money out there. And it will have a better resale value as well.
Old 16th July 2016, 10:27   #23981
BHPian

We just got a Lenovo P1 M yesterday for my Mom to use. The battery life is simply phenomenonal.

The cameras are just average though but the software is quite good. We exchanged our old Moto E and paid a total of around 5000 with Flipkart's exchange offers paying a higher exchange value than normal.
Old 16th July 2016, 15:55   #23982
BHPian

Re: Lenovo K5 Plus?

Will 'Lenovo K5 Plus' be a worthy replacement for my 'Nexus 4'?

Heard heating and camera issues of 'K5 Plus' has been resolved with firmware update. Are there any users of 'K5 Plus'?

The exchange offer at flipkart is making me to replace my 3 year old 'Nexus 4'.

Please advise.
Old 17th July 2016, 08:48   #23983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Your reason seems accurate and that I think explains why the Moto E with just 1 GB RAM seems to have no problems whatsoever in keeping apps running.

How do the Apple phones fare in this regard ? I know this is blasphemous posting on an Android thread.
iOS is much better in this regard. I have seen apps which I've opened even few days back properly cached in RAM. This is the case on an iPhone 6 which have 1 GB of ram. In android, I've experienced it the same on a Coolpad Note 3. At the same time, I have a Redmi 2 Prime with my in-law and it's not at all good at caching apps in ram.
Old 18th July 2016, 15:19   #23984
Senior - BHPian

in other news, I found this interesting link - 15 Features Found in MIUI 8 Without Installing Any Apps:
http://en.miui.com/thread-306352-1-1.html

I have a few of my own, will blog them soon as well, but hope it helps folks get a sense of why MIUI rocks (fine grained multi tasking control for longer battery life, call recording, deep permission control esp for data usage, brilliant themes, brilliant messaging app (separate real SMS from notifications, copy OTP, message 6 recently dialed nos etc) etc).
Old 19th July 2016, 00:31   #23985
BHPian

Re: Lenovo K5 Plus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Will 'Lenovo K5 Plus' be a worthy replacement for my 'Nexus 4'?

Heard heating and camera issues of 'K5 Plus' has been resolved with firmware update. Are there any users of 'K5 Plus'?

The exchange offer at flipkart is making me to replace my 3 year old 'Nexus 4'.

Please advise.
I moved from Nexus 4 to Moto G3 and am pretty happy about this. The battery lasts good, the interface is stock Android (Almost) and moto has released updates (Though not as frequent as the Nexus lines recieves) and is currently at M. It misses out of NFC compared to N4. The camera is really good when compared to Nexus 4. And hardware wise, I feel moto is much better than LG.

Not sure if you would appreciate moving from the clean stock interface to the customized ones that lenovo provides.

Most Viewed