Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2018, 12:49   #27001
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Guys - Have not been following the smartphone market of late, and have been surprised to see so many entrants and models on offer nowadays.

My wife is looking to change her Motorola X Play, since it has become a bit slow. She wants a phone in the 10 to 20k range.

Her priorities are -
1. A good back camera
2. Excellent battery life (1 day is a must - she isn't a gamer, but continuously chats, emails and watches TedTalks from her phone)
3. Strong build quality - on account of her tardiness
4. Some Water Resistance
5. 5.5 inch to 6 inch display
6. NOT a Samsung - She hates their UI

My priorities are-
1. To seal the deal this week and make it count as a V Day gift!
2. For the device to survive well enough for me not to be berated every single day.

Please help me.

Hello Sir,

According to your requirements, these phones fit the bill perfectly:

1) Xiaomi Mi Max 2: 6.44-inch display, a 12 MP primary camera and a huge 5300 mAH battery which won't die even after two days of average usage.

2) Huawei Honor 9i: Reliable battery life (3340 mAH), a 16 mp + 2mp primary camera and 4 GB of ram.

3) Redmi note 4: 4 GB ram, 5.5-inch display, 13 MP primary camera and a 4100 mAH battery.

4) Mi A1: 4GB ram, an excellent 12 MP dual camera at the rear, 5.5-inch display and a 3080 mAH battery.

If a reliable battery is your main requirement, the Xiaomi Mi Max 2 should be your primary choice. Camera wise, the best rear camera here is offered by the Mi A1, all the other phones have decent cameras.
Old 6th February 2018, 14:10   #27002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
For my wife, we picked the Moto Z Play. Usage is pretty similar to yours, plus Android Auto support.
Thanks. The Z Play was a great product indeed when it was launched last year, but I think it's getting a bit old now in smartphone terms (~ 1 year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
For all the above requirements, I suggest the mi A1. Apart from average front camera, there is nothing to complain about.

Timely software updates and a price of 14k is a sweet deal.
MI A1 has bad bezels, but it's not a deal breaker. Right now, it's number 1 on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathiiik View Post
Hello Sir,

According to your requirements, these phones fit the bill perfectly:

1) Xiaomi Mi Max 2: 6.44-inch display, a 12 MP primary camera and a huge 5300 mAH battery which won't die even after two days of average usage.

2) Huawei Honor 9i: Reliable battery life (3340 mAH), a 16 mp + 2mp primary camera and 4 GB of ram.

3) Redmi note 4: 4 GB ram, 5.5-inch display, 13 MP primary camera and a 4100 mAH battery.

4) Mi A1: 4GB ram, an excellent 12 MP dual camera at the rear, 5.5-inch display and a 3080 mAH battery.

If a reliable battery is your main requirement, the Xiaomi Mi Max 2 should be your primary choice. Camera wise, the best rear camera here is offered by the Mi A1, all the other phones have decent cameras.
1 - I will look into details of this. Although this seems to be a phablet.
2 - Was looking at it yesterday. But the flash sale has ended a while back. And, reports are saying it's not a robust phone. Otherwise this looked to be a great product.
3 - Fails because of the Camera.
4 - Number 1 on my list for now.

By the way, what's with the Oppo's, Vivo's, Nokias of the world? Aren't they competent?
Old 6th February 2018, 14:22   #27003
Senior - BHPian

I am looking to replace my wife's OPX.

The main priorities are:
- Good camera
- Good battery life
- Good amount of memory and RAM

Budget is 10-15K. Not interested in Samsung phones or Redmi Note 4 (Since I already have it).

Have shortlisted two models:

Redmi A1
Moto G5S Plus

Can any one using these phones share a real life review? Is there any other phones I should consider, below 15K INR?

--Anoop
Old 6th February 2018, 14:27   #27004
BHPian

Quote:
.By the way, what's with the Oppo's, Vivo's, Nokias of the world? Aren't they competent?
The only good oppo phone I know of is the Oppo F5. This phone will definitely not suit your requirements. Battery life isn't great(3200mAH) and the phone isn't very robust either. The only good part about this phone is the set of cameras (16 mp rear and 20 mp front).

Regarding Vivo phones, the only good Vivo phones are the V7 and V7 plus.
Again, these phones are not robust and battery life isn't great either.

Nokia phones:
The lumias are extremely outdated now. The only choice in Nokia's are the:

Nokia 6: Battery life isn't great, cameras are decent and the phone is quite robust.

The Nokia 8 doesn't fit within your budget.

Not saying that these are not competent phones, they just don't fit your requirements.
Old 6th February 2018, 14:31   #27005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...only good oppo...

...Vivo phones, the only good Vivo phones....

The Nokia 8 doesn't fit within your budget.
Is Nokia 8 worth the stretch? And, if I am reaching out to Nokia 8, would the 1+5T be a better buy?
Old 6th February 2018, 14:39   #27006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I am looking to replace my wife's OPX.

The main priorities are:
- Good camera
- Good battery life
- Good amount of memory and RAM

Budget is 10-15K. Not interested in Samsung phones or Redmi Note 4 (Since I already have it).

Have shortlisted two models:

Redmi A1
Moto G5S Plus

Can any one using these phones share a real life review? Is there any other phones I should consider, below 15K INR?

--Anoop
Considering battery life and camera, the Moto G5S Plus is a superior phone when compared to the Mi A1. With a 5.5-inch full-HD display, 64GB storage, 4GB of RAM, and a 2GHz octa-core processor, you're not losing out in terms of hardware. It has a dual-camera setup on the rear, although the 3000mAh battery is a little less than you'd expect.

The other phones you can consider under 15K INR are:

1) LG Q6 platinum with a full screen display, 13 MP camera and a 300 mAH battery.

2) Lenovo K8 note:

The Lenovo K8 Note has a full-HD 5.5-inch display, along with a 1.4GHz processor, 3GB of RAM, 32GB storage. It has a big 4000mAh battery, and dual-cameras on the back. The camera performance is pretty good.

3) Coolplay 6:

The Cool Play 6 also packs a full-HD 5.5-inch display, and it has a 1.4GHz processor with 64GB storage, and a whopping 6GB of RAM. There's a 4060mAh battery, and 13-megapixel and 8-megapixel rear and front cameras.

Quote:
Is Nokia 8 worth the stretch? And, if I am reaching out to Nokia 8, would the 1+5T be a better buy?
If you are willing to stretch your budget up to the Nokia 8, then the OnePlus 5T would be a better choice.

A comparison between the Nokia 8 and the OnePlus 5T based on your requirements:-

Camera: 20+16 mp dual camera in the OP 5T vs a 13 mp Zeiss camera in the Nokia 8.

Battery life: Here's where the Nokia 8 wins hands down.

Ram: An option of 6 or 8 GB of ram in the OP 5T vs 4 GB ram in the Nokia 8.

I feel that the OP 5 T is the better choice out of the two considering speed and camera but if battery life is the main and most important priority, the Nokia 8 is a superior phone.

Sorry if I have confused you further Sir.

Last edited by navin : 9th February 2018 at 12:34.
Old 6th February 2018, 15:59   #27007
BHPian

Quote:

By the way, what's with the Oppo's, Vivo's, Nokias of the world? Aren't they competent?
You may want to consider the Lenovo K8 Note. I think it would suit your requirement.
Old 6th February 2018, 16:26   #27008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Considering battery life and camera, the Moto G5S Plus is a superior phone when compared to the Mi A1. With a 5.5-inch full-HD display, 64GB storage, 4GB of RAM, and a 2GHz octa-core processor, you're not losing out in terms of hardware. It has a dual-camera setup on the rear, although the 3000mAh battery is a little less than you'd expect.

The other phones you can consider under 15K INR are:

1) LG Q6 platinum with a full screen display, 13 MP camera and a 300 mAH battery.

2) Lenovo K8 note:

3) Coolplay 6:
Thank you for the detailed inputs.

The only issue we are facing with OPX is the reduced battery performance - rest everything is fine with the phone. Considering that, I am a bit skeptical for going for a 3000mAH. Otherwise G5S Plus is a straight winner.

Thank you for the heads up about LG Q6 - looks interesting. Will add this also to the shortlist. Have never used a LG android phone before, hope their UI is not as bad as the Samsung bloatware UI and phone do not come pre-loaded with a truck full of bloatware.

Had a not so good experience with a previous version of Lenovo Note series, so will keep this and the coolpad as back up options.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 6th February 2018 at 16:29.
Old 7th February 2018, 07:36   #27009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
T. Otherwise G5S Plus is a straight winner.

Thank you for the heads up about LG Q6 - looks interesting. Will add this also to the shortlist. Have never used a LG android phone before, hope their UI is not as bad as the Samsung bloatware UI and phone do not come pre-loaded with a truck full of bloatware.

Had a not so good experience with a previous version of Lenovo Note series, so will keep this and the coolpad as back up options.

--Anoop
The G5S+ does not have a compass sensor. If you are extensively using it for Navigation, it may not be accurate. The Q6 is a good device albeit the finger print sensor. Get the Q6+ with 4GB/64GB which is available offline as well.
Old 9th February 2018, 09:07   #27010
Senior - BHPian

Got the Oreo update on my one plus 5T. Now I can't find contacts when I type the name in the contacts app. Instead I have to scroll and find them.
Old 9th February 2018, 09:18   #27011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Got the Oreo update on my one plus 5T. Now I can't find contacts when I type the name in the contacts app. Instead I have to scroll and find them.

Go to recovery mode and clear cache and see if it works.
Old 9th February 2018, 10:17   #27012
BHPian

Quote:
Got the same update. But faced no such problem. Gokrish's idea may help.

Pawan
Old 9th February 2018, 11:33   #27013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Hi Gokrish

Can you help with the exact location of the recovery mode. I am new to Android so still getting the hang of it.
Old 9th February 2018, 11:53   #27014
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Got the same update. But faced no such problem. Gokrish's idea may help.

Pawan
Go to dialer, and type the name this way, for example "ramesh" is 726374, ie the number with the alphabet corresponding . ABC is 2, DEF is 3 etc. You will then be able to see the contacts.
Old 9th February 2018, 17:38   #27015
BHPian

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Hi Gokrish

Can you help with the exact location of the recovery mode. I am new to Android so still getting the hang of it.

Step 1 Turn OFF your phone.

Step 2 Now press and hold the following buttons for a few seconds, all at the same time: Power + Volume Down.

Step 3 After a few seconds, you should see the Recovery Mode screen on your OnePlus 5T.

Now you may select Wipe cache from the screen. Once wiping is over, reboot the phone. Be careful to not select wipe data as this may delete all your Google play related apps.

Alternatively, from settings-apps-contacts, do wipe cache! But don't know whether this would solve the problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks