Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2018, 22:38   #27751
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
The Vivo V11 Pro is out today priced at 26k, but has some good launch offers - 2k instant discount on HDFC cards as well as 2k exchange bonus. Check that out, it looks interesting. Available on Amazon and Flipkart.

Thanks! Did see it but holding on for a while. For flash sales of nokia 6.1 plus, POCO, VIVO V11 to stop, and OP 6T to release.

Don't understand why VIVO and OPPO have such sad brand value, as compared to OnePlus, made by the same company.
Old 9th September 2018, 14:05   #27752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
The screen quality is a notch less than Oneplus, though good enough, really good enough. But, that's the only place where Oneplus wins outright.

Hi Atnyia, thanks for the info. I have decided to hold on for a while. I am not completely sold on the Poco F1 as of now. Plus the stupid flash sales is irritating me to no end!
I will wait for OP6T or might just buy the Pixel 3 XL eventually.

Last edited by ampere : 10th September 2018 at 23:16. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 9th September 2018, 14:54   #27753
Distinguished - BHPian

Got over some of my anti-MS feelings and installed their SMS Organiser last night.

At first look, it's brilliant, and thank you to whoever mentioned it a few weeks ago
Old 10th September 2018, 06:04   #27754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
For flash sales of nokia 6.1 plus, POCO, VIVO V11 to stop..

Don't understand why VIVO and OPPO have such sad brand value
Oppo/Vivo have been selling SD 625 at 20-25 K with '25 MP selfie cameras'. Their marketing has a scorched earth vibe with ubiquitous hoardings and TV advertising thus overwhelming the customers and the compititors. But it usually came with two year old hardware and a substantial price markup. For ex Xiaomi sells similar configurations with arguably better built at half the price. In short, at a given price point, there are usually much better phones available.

Then we come to V11 where it all changes. They are offering SD 660 with a good setup of camera and Dash Charge. It's a very good overall package.
Although I would still go for Nokia 7 Plus, V11 has a very strong case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Plus the stupid flash sales is irritating me to no end!

I will wait for OP6T or might just buy the Pixel 3 XL eventually.
The remedy is very simple. Search for Flipshoppe or other Chrome javascript plugins for Flipkart and buy any device you like. They automatically add the product to your cart if you keep the product page open at the time of the 'flash sale'.
Old 10th September 2018, 07:10   #27755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I have the OP6. Please avoid it. Having poor battery backup and camera is getting bad in each update. Despite the 8 gigs of ram phone hangs sometimes! Poco seems to be absolutely value for money. Will try to get it if the issues with my OP6 continues for a while
With the beta for android pie out for OP6, I installed it and checked my phone since yesterday. Performance and battery issues seems to be fixed. Camera needs improvement.

Last edited by sairamboko : 10th September 2018 at 07:16.
Old 10th September 2018, 08:22   #27756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
At first look, it's brilliant, and thank you to whoever mentioned it a few weeks ago
It was I who first mentioned it here, and you're welcome. :-)
Old 10th September 2018, 12:01   #27757
Senior - BHPian

Got myself Poco F1 and using it since past week or so. Apart from the silly name, I can't argue with the fact that it is super value for money, especially in 6GB+64GB trim. To add a bit of context here, thanks to moderator .anshuman, who introduced me to the brand Xiaomi a couple of years ago, I had been using iOS devices until then. Then, decided to moved from iPhones to Mi5 which was my first Android device in 2016, and now I have upgraded from Mi5 to Poco F1.

A few observations -
  • The phone is fast, really fast and my god the battery backup! My main problem with Mi5 was battery (screen-on-time was barely 3 hours after 2 years of usage) and the irregular updates from Xiaomi, some of them introduced bugs that lasted long enough to irritate me. In recent updates, things have been excellent (better than past) to say the least and I hope it stays that way. With Poco battery backup is at least 10hrs of SOT.

• Build Quality is good, its not as good as OP6 or Galaxy S9 because glass anyday will feel better than plastic! But for what it is, Poco is very good when it comes to build quality. I have been using Nillkin phone cases for all my phones for a long time now, so Poco will also be getting one. And that is enough protection from accidental drops I guess (I have rarely dropped my phone ever, and finger crossed it stays that way!).

• Moving from iOS to Android was a learning curve in the beginning. MIUI in my Mi5 made that curve much easier for me, with its customised options. Same continues in Poco F1, and Poco has an App Drawer, if one cares for it that much!

• My phone usage is simple - regular phone calls, emails, GPS, camera and online apps - shopping, social media like WhatsApp, Instagram etc.

I don't use my phone for playing games (no time for that, if the craving happens I have PS4 for proper gaming experience) or to watch video content, so this HD streaming doesn't bother me, although I do understand this could be an issue for many who stream a lot of content on their phones. Frankly speaking, I think even then it is barely an issue since on a phone screen, 480p is good enough resolution, but even then, that's just me and the point of view can be different for different people.

• Stock camera is good, but for some reason, I find the pics too soft even with AI or HDR being turned off. Thankfully, you can use Google Camera on the phone and that results in crisper shots! Videos in 1080p are sharp and stable enough, although I wish it had OIS in addition to EIS for better results. Low light pics are okay, not as good as OP6 or S9, since it boils down to aperture size and flagships have larger aperture that helps a lot!

• 64GB storage is good enough for me (same was with Mi5); although Poco has hybrid sim slot for further expansion. I store my pics and videos on google drive, and no games... so usually have about 30GB free in my phone almost always.

• At a price of 20k, you can't beat the VFM preposition of this phone. Even though I have moved from iPhones, I can't digest the price premium of high end phones in today's time when mid-rangers are becoming so good! And yes, I keep OP6 in the same category - at 35k, it is too much money for a phone in my honest opinion.

My main reason to move from iOS to Android was dual sim capabilities (I hate keeping 2 phones with me). And now that Apple is also said to be coming with dual sim phones, I simply believe I am too spoilt with VFM preposition of current phones to return back to iOS ecosystem. It is not a question of affordability for me, my view has changed so much so that when I think about buying an iPhone X, I simply think

'Hmmm... another phone or an air locker for the Fortuner?'

Last edited by theMAG : 10th September 2018 at 23:23. Reason: Grammar fixed.
Old 10th September 2018, 17:32   #27758
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
'Hmmm... another phone or an air locker for the Fortuner?'
Or a holiday or a helmet or tires, the list is endless.

I myself shifted from flagships [both iOS and androids] to Honor 10 and this does not lack in any aspect. I can very well relate to what you say. No flagships from now on. These mid budget phones work best and you any way get bored of it in 2 years or things start to go wrong or you itch for a new one.
Old 10th September 2018, 19:30   #27759
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
It was I who first mentioned it here, and you're welcome. :-)
Oh! Thank you indeed. It [MS SMS Organiser] makes me wonder why messaging apps haven't always done this stuff!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Got myself Poco F1 and using it since past week or so. Apart from the silly name ...
Why do companies do this? Xiaomi came from nowhere straight into the worldwide top rank. Xiaomi, Mi, etc, are (at least in our market) as famous as Samsung. So, "Poco?" Why?

My Mi A1 (same hardware as you 5?) has, according to my usage, good battery time. At least a day and a half, with as much as five or six hours display on. But, it's new and its battery is young. I notice people saying, about battery life (not phone-specific) stuff like "Argh! It dropped 15% in an hour since I unplugged it!" I have noticed something like that with the A1: the first drop in percentage seems steeps, and levels out.
Old 10th September 2018, 22:38   #27760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Xiaomi came from nowhere straight into the worldwide top rank.
That Xiaomi appears all set to be the Maruti Suzuki of the mobile ecosystem in India is a contention that is hard to argue against.

However, I was baffled by the company's venturing into personal finance space.

Yes, you heard me right!

Here are the screenshots of the options that have started appearing in my Redmi Note 4 after the latest MIUI update.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20180910221409095_com.miui.securitycenter.png

A bit of poking around revealed that Xiaomi has partnered with KreditBee to offer loans up to ₹1,00,000/- @ (please hold your breath) 3% monthly interest rate! And in 10 minutes flat.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20180910221354502_com.android.chrome.png

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20180910221401874_com.android.chrome.png

What has the world come to?

Link

PS: No affiliations. But I do own a RN 4 .
Old 10th September 2018, 23:29   #27761
Senior - BHPian

What's up with SD cards?
I had one in my 2018 Nokia 6 and the phone lagged like crazy. I stored offline maps, spotify music and photos. I didn't have any apps on the the SD card. How can I use the SD card to increase my storage and not have the phone lagging?

TIA
Old 11th September 2018, 00:49   #27762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
How can I use the SD card to increase my storage and not have the phone lagging?
Only use it formatted as portable storage?
Old 11th September 2018, 01:18   #27763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only use it formatted as portable storage?
Somehow, the 2018 Nokia 6 doesn't allow that.
Old 11th September 2018, 09:55   #27764
Senior - BHPian

Get the extreme model which should have 100MBPS write speed The usual ones only advertise read speed at 100MBPS but write speeds would be completely random at less than 30MBPS or so.

This was one of the reasons given by the OnePlus founder when asked why their phones don't have memory card slots...he said they are slow and will ruin the experience for users. good reason also to get people buy their more expensive models
Old 11th September 2018, 11:22   #27765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Or a holiday or a helmet or tires, the list is endless.
Exactly my point! Consider the repair costs of iPhone X for example. In case you break it!

For a phone that costs the famous $1000 mark, $280 for screen repair! $550 for any other kind of damage that basically requires change of main frame and body! For a phone, that costs Apple $360 to build from scratch!

I mean, this is ripping off turned up to eleven!

No wonder I now want to save that money for something that is better priority for me, like any sane person would!

Quote:
So, "Poco?" Why?
I can understand your feelings, I in fact reciprocate the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
What's up with SD cards?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Get the extreme model which should have 100MBPS write speed
I agree with deathwalkr. Adding SD cards theoretically slower than UFS 2.1 that most modern phones come equipped with now a days, is going to slow the phone down!

Most Viewed