Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2018, 11:08   #27856
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I recently jumped from a Redmi Note 3 to S9 and boy what a difference it is! S9 is actually slimmer than RN3 and is so much easier to grip. Inspite of the bigger screen it feels smaller in hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Does the 18:9 resolution pose any problem for vertical reading? Especiall S8/S9 felt a lot sleeker in hand, which may render the mails/websites too tall. Any practical experience on this?
On the contrary I love it! You can hide even the navigation buttons and use the entire screen for browsing. I am enjoying it so much so that I have stopped browsing t-bhp almost entirely on my laptop - it's always the phone now. There is no need to scroll too much and a lot of content appears on the same screen.

Similar case with emails. You can practically read the entire email without scrolling. Of course you might for the longer ones, but for me it is less than 1% of emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I've been using a Note 8 for 3 months with the 18:9 aspect ratio and read a lot (quora,teambhp,news etc). Never faced any issue while reading content, the only issue is when watching YouTube videos in landscape mode.

The 'zoomed to fill' option crops content, much like iPhone X, or if you don't want missing content you've to get used to black bars on either sides for 16:9 content.

OT
I'm blown away by how good the HDR videos look on the phone. Just search for 4k HDR and flip the phone into landscape mode!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
+1 to what shashank.nk said.

I owned a Galaxy S8+ and now use a Note8. Love the 18.5:9 ratio on these phones, because I do a lot of portrait mode browsing.

Biologically also, the eye finds it easier to move up/down than left/right, so it is more comfortable to use a taller screen for reading (a reason why I use 16:10 monitors as well). However, an >18:9 ratio does mean that regular 16:9 videos get letterboxed on the sides. I personally don't mind this, but that is personal preference - I've seen comments from others who hate it.

I have handled the S8, and I love the feel, because it is so compact, and lends itself well to one-handed typing/use. The S8+ & Note8 are larger, and more cumbersome to use single-handedly.

Bear in mind that both the S8 & S8+ run with the same resolution, so the amount of information displayed is the same, just that it appears larger on the S8+.
Reg the videos, I too am OK with the black bars on the sides. I keep alternating between the zoom-to-fill and 16:9 view depending on the content. The speakers on this thing are superb too. Very helpful when taking long conf calls.
Old 8th October 2018, 14:31   #27857
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't suffer too much from Whatsapp forwarders --- although I keep telling my wife I'd rather she just showed me stuff on her phone that sent it to me. But anyway, my habit is now see and delete. And then, every-so-often, got through the media and delete the stuff I wasn't tough enough on when I got it.

I do have one friend who forwards photos of cats to me, that she got from my wife. My cats. My photos !
Old 8th October 2018, 15:00   #27858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
After applying the SBI card discount, the OP6 price comes down to 27k which seems an absolute steal and I am itching to take the plunge.
I am in the same quandary as you here!

I have a 3 year old Moto X style that has developed serious issues with the screen and doesn't work unless i put it in battery saver mode. I see that amazon is offering another 2.7k if I exchange this phone which would bring bring down the final price to below 25k.

With the Oneplus 6T rumoured to be releasing on Oct 17th, I am not sure if I should take the plunge now or wait for the 6T.
But, I expect the 6T to be priced around the 39k-40k range which would still make this a great deal!
Old 9th October 2018, 02:38   #27859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
The flipkart offer looks interesting. I am confused between Galaxy S8 (30k) and Asus ZenFone 5Z (25k). In my opinion, the S8 is a better deal. (SD 845 is not a very important factor for me) . But the concern is that its an old phone.
Can someone share their opinion?
Asus zenfone 5z does not stream HD content from either Netflix or Amazon Prime. I have been after Amazon for a month now and still haven't got a clear answer whether they will support HD quality on the Asus or not. Depending on how important that is for you, you may want to consider the S8. The battery on the Asus lasts more than a day and i regularly get more than 7 hours screen on time and it also charges very fast.

S8 is a better package in all respects except possibly the battery. I have read conflicting views about battery life on the S8 but in any case it won't last as long as the Asus.

On all other fronts the S8 is definitely better.
Old 9th October 2018, 08:59   #27860
Senior - BHPian

The One Plus 6 64GB is being offered in the current Amazon festival sale for Rs. 29,999. With an exchange offer of around Rs. 8 k for my 2016 OP3, the effective price should be around Rs. 22K. Is this a value for money option?

I love OP as a brand and have had a great experience with my OP3 for the past couple of years- and therefore, find some merit in staying within the OP brand umbrella. No real need to change phones at this time other than what seems to be a lucrative effective price for the OP6. I am also not particular about getting the 6T, the 6 meets my requirements well enough. Advice will be appreciated!
Old 9th October 2018, 09:54   #27861
Team-BHP Support

The Pixel2 XL is dropped to 45,499 on Flipkart. With tomorrow's cashback, you could pick one up for 42-43K for the 64GB XL.

Ofcourse the Pixel 3 is getting announced tonight.
Old 9th October 2018, 09:56   #27862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Pixel2 XL is dropped to 45,499 on Flipkart. With tomorrow's cashback, you could pick one up for 42-43K for the 64GB XL.

Ofcourse the Pixel 3 is getting announced tonight.
Pixel 2 XL is offered at 40,000 during the BBD sale and with HDFC cashback, it will be down to 38k. Good deal, however I am reading horror tales about the support in their forum! Thats a thing to watch out for.

Last edited by sairamboko : 9th October 2018 at 10:03.
Old 9th October 2018, 10:15   #27863
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Pixel 2 XL is offered at 40,000 during the BBD sale and with HDFC cashback, it will be down to 38k. Good deal, however I am reading horror tales about the support in their forum! Thats a thing to watch out for.
It's the best phone I have owned. Having owned a Motorola X, Nexus 5X, LG G6.

The experience is brilliant.
Old 9th October 2018, 10:41   #27864
BHPian

Both Samsung Galaxy S8 4gb 64gb and the One Plus 6 6gb 64gb are going to be offered at the same price of 29990 this festival season.

Which of these is the better buy at the same prices?
Old 9th October 2018, 10:44   #27865
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Both Samsung Galaxy S8 4gb 64gb and the One Plus 6 6gb 64gb are going to be offered at the same price of 29990 this festival season.

It depends on your preference. If you prefer style and not too particular on stock Android, then the S8 is a no brainer. The camera is also better than the Oneplus6.

If you want stock android and blazing performance, pick the Oneplus 6. You won't get as classy looks and display but you will get a solid performer.
Old 9th October 2018, 11:18   #27866
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Both Samsung Galaxy S8 4gb 64gb and the One Plus 6 6gb 64gb are going to be offered at the same price of 29990 this festival season.Which of these is the better buy at the same prices?
Samsung - because it supports a microSD card, and IP68 water protection.
OnePlus - for the larger screen.
Old 9th October 2018, 11:52   #27867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hate the overloaded Samsung OS. After using the OP3 for couple of years, I will highly recommend the brand and the near stock Android experience. Also, don't know about Samsung, but the software update frequency and support on the OP3 has been absolutely stellar.

OP is my choice for sure.
Old 9th October 2018, 14:34   #27868
Senior - BHPian

Bought the Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB today off amazon. With the cashbacks and all discounts, cost me 32.6k in exchange for my Mi5.

I had been eying the OP6 but the size made me rethink. Phones are becoming bigger and bigger. I don't understand how people pocket them. Size was the biggest reason I opted S9 over OP6 or the Note8 (which is also available for same price as S9). Let's see how the Samsung experience is. It's my first one.
Old 9th October 2018, 14:56   #27869
Senior - BHPian

I have the S9+. As a piece of hardware it is impeccable. Beautifully made, brilliant screen, ergonomical and gives a very nice upmarket feel every time I use it.( I dont use phone cases for any of my phones).
However, it is the software that is this phones biggest bane. It is heavy, slow to navigate and feels as if it carries a lot of burden. It has all the features make no mistake but the navigation is clunky even with a SD 845. Basically Samsung needs to rid it of excess baggage. This was the first thing I noticed when I played with the OP6. Very fluid and probably the fastest android in terms of day to day tasks. Everything else comes second to the Samsung but as far as software and fluid navigation goes, OP6 has nailed it.
In fact even my 1 year old 15xxx Rs Xiaomi is more fluid and faster to respond compared to the Samsung. Samsung skins are a real let down.
So it all boils down to what are you looking for in a phone.

Last edited by bigron : 9th October 2018 at 15:08.
Old 9th October 2018, 15:38   #27870
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
I have the S9+. As a piece of hardware it is impeccable. Beautifully made, brilliant screen, ergonomical and gives a very nice upmarket feel every time I use it.( I dont use phone cases for any of my phones). However, it is the software that is this phones biggest bane. It is heavy, slow to navigate and feels as if it carries a lot of burden.
I agree! I have a choice now to recontract my office line and the options are between Samsung S9/9+/Note 9 or an iPhone (8 or above). I loved the Note 9 for its looks but after using the Pixel 2 XL as my personal phone, I am not sure if I will enjoy the Samsung skin on the old Oreo; probably still will end up with a regular S9 as it comes almost free with the contract here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks