Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2018, 09:06   #28006
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
How is Mi A2? Any reviews, feedback would be helpful

I have used xiaomi phones - redmi note 3, redmi note 4x. Both were supported by a strong developer community and getting stock android was not tough. I would like to retain similar specs (SD 6xx series + 4GB ram + 64GB internal storage) but with stock android as part of OEM proposition. Headphone jack is important but I think quick charging can help juggle between headphones and charging.

Poco F1 is also an option given that xiaomi has lured all the developers with a free handset. However, am not sure if bumping up the budget is worth it given my usage is limited to flashing roms, mods, listening to music, calls, sms, telegram, whatsapp and an occasional photo.

Recently, bought a Poco F1 for my wife and Mi A2 for myself. Both are used as secondary phones and our daily drivers are iPhones. We both liked the Mi A2 more than the Poco for its slimmer form factor and somehow better looking photos from the camera. Also, I felt Mi A2 more premium to hold. Being said that, the battery on Mi A2 last less than Poco F1, however with my sedate use, I charge it once in 2 days only. Also, Mi A2 is mostly stutter free owing to the Android one experience while I have noticed few instances of dropped frames in the Poco F1. Hope this helps

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 26th October 2018 at 09:08.
Old 26th October 2018, 09:57   #28007
BHPian

Any suggestions for note 9 case? Do you recommend the official ones by Samsung?
Old 26th October 2018, 09:59   #28008
BHPian

Any recommendations for a tempered glass screen protector for OnePlus 6? The official one is out of stock now.
Old 26th October 2018, 10:12   #28009
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Any suggestions for note 9 case? Do you recommend the official ones by Samsung?
I use the official case for my Note8, and am happy with it. Pricey, but good quality. I've not dropped my phone, though, so can't comment on that aspect of it! (And no, I won't drop it just to fulfil a request either )

Spigen is a brand that I prefer and recommend. Their Liquid Air Case series is nice - it protects against drops by having a nice air gap on the corners and sides, and has a raised rim to prevent the screen impacting a flat surface if it falls face down. You can search YouTube for reviews of this case. I particularly like the sloped edge near the fingerprint sensor, as it smoothly draws one's finger in to the sensor.

Last edited by arunphilip : 26th October 2018 at 10:14.
Old 26th October 2018, 10:48   #28010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
We both liked the Mi A2 more than the Poco for its slimmer form factor and somehow better looking photos from the camera. Also, I felt Mi A2 more premium to hold. Being said that, the battery on Mi A2 last less than Poco F1, however with my sedate use, I charge it once in 2 days only. Also, Mi A2 is mostly stutter free owing to the Android one experience while I have noticed few instances of dropped frames in the Poco F1. Hope this helps
Thank you, that is very helpful. I have ordered a redmi note 5 pro for my wife and an Mi A2 for myself

Battery will be a let down but I'd rather stick to plain android than fiddle around and change from miui to stock android.
Old 26th October 2018, 14:33   #28011
Distinguished - BHPian

My wife's Lenovo K4 Note has developed a strange problem.

The phone and the data connection is working fine except that the bluetooth & wifi are not switching on. Since the wifi is not working, the hotspot functionality is also gone.

I have tried hard reset twice but still no success. What could be the issue, anyone? Else I may need to 'write-it off'.
Old 27th October 2018, 09:42   #28012
Team-BHP Support

Any solution for this? Despite blocking it and being firmly on DND, there appears to be no solution. I hate getting SMS's unless it is of importance.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20181027093905.jpg  

Old 27th October 2018, 09:54   #28013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Any solution for this? Despite blocking it and being firmly on DND, there appears to be no solution. I hate getting SMS's unless it is of importance.
Might not be a direct solution but the microsoft sms organiser app helps a bit. such promo messages go into a separate header without notification like a spam folder. you can clear it off later.
Old 27th October 2018, 10:18   #28014
BHPian

Quote:
You may try using Kyte SMS app. It is an AI-based smart SMS management app. It filters out spam messages in a separate folder. You may still get an occasional message from time to time but it weeds out the majority.
Old 27th October 2018, 11:43   #28015
Distinguished - BHPian

For those who have Nokia 8, the Google pixel 2 camera app will transform the otherwise ordinary camera into something amazing.

I tested it along side the pixel 2 XL and it is seriously impressive.
Old 27th October 2018, 22:43   #28016
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
For those who have Nokia 8, the Google pixel 2 camera app will transform the otherwise ordinary camera into something amazing.

I tested it along side the pixel 2 XL and it is seriously impressive.
How did you get the app? XDA dev one right? Which version? I tried Arnova one and it worked well.
Old 28th October 2018, 10:31   #28017
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
How did you get the app? XDA dev one right? Which version? I tried Arnova one and it worked well.
Looks like that's what I'm running, here is a spec page.

It is so brilliant that it's very close to what the pixel 2 XL is capable of. My friend has a pixel 2XL and it is the best camera on a phone that any of us have come across, hands down.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20181028102734.png  

Old 28th October 2018, 12:08   #28018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Use this app called SMS Organizer and block these SMS's. It was first suggested by bhpian binand I guess, it deserves a 5 star easily.

I was bombarded with such messages and the usual loans after opening a new bank account. This app effectively blocks it as you get no notification or alert on receiving such SMS.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 28th October 2018 at 12:10.
Old 28th October 2018, 13:30   #28019
Distinguished - BHPian

I find SMS Organiser true to its name: it is brilliant at separating out personal messages, messages from banks and the like, and spam. I installed it after reading the recommendation here, and I'm very happy that I did.

For blocking, however, it doesn't beat Truecaller. SMS Organiser keeps blocked messages in a blocked folder. It deletes them after some time, but they still show on the unread count. I am not currently using it. For those that receive a lot of spam calls and SMSs it might be unbeatable (?) but means using its own dialer, messaging app, etc, and some people have privacy concerns.
Old 28th October 2018, 13:33   #28020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some people have reported success using this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rai.gov.in.dnd

Be aware that it needs some intrusive permissions, but none implausible given its feature set.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks