Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2018, 11:35   #28051
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

The USP of Motorola One POwer is the massive battery.
The USP of the Nokia 6.1 plus is the design.

Another deciding factor is the size and handling of these devices. One is pretty big and heavy with bigger display, while other one is small and one hand friend.

Both have pretty average cameras, nothing which will stand out and is not a deciding factor. The Xiaomi MI A2 is clearly much better than these 2 in terms of camera though. But, the key factor is that the Google Camera for Nokia 6.1 plus is available and it brings it at par with MI A2. Any such port for Motorola one power is not available till date but might be available later. Android One does not mean that every Android one phone gets updates at the same time. Nokia has been best in this regard.

Last edited by adimicra : 1st November 2018 at 11:37.
Old 1st November 2018, 12:48   #28052
BHPian

Just read the news that Android 9 Pie update is being rolled out on Nokia 6.1 plus. For the guys who prefer vanilla android I believe this is the phone to buy under 15K. I am eyeing Pixel 2 XL that is now costing around 40K. At the back of my mind, given my phone usage I have a feeling that I should just pick up Nokia and be done with it.
Old 1st November 2018, 15:02   #28053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
...So requirements are:

1. Size <5".
2. Good battery backup. Should last a day after 2-3 hours browsing.
3. Strong Performance : Hate it when I have to keep waiting for page/app to load. Current phone is slowly showing that problem prompting me to look for a change.
4. Reliable brand with decent service. Usually I used to stick with Motorola, Samsung, Apple. One plus was my first try at non established brand(back in 2015 it wasn't that popular, things are different now I agree) and it has been pretty good.
5. Dual Sim.
6. Decent camera.
7. Budget around 20k
8. 32/64GB
After some browsing for available 5 inch phones, came across Motorola X4(5.2").

6GB RAM, 64GB internal memory, 2.2 GHz octa-core (Adreno 508), 3000mAH. Only these parameters matter to me majorly as my only usage of fone is for heavy browsing, youtube and some calls.

Overall dimension is slightly more than my current onePlus X. Dimension difference being 8mmX4mmX1.1mm, a compromise I have to live with owing to lack of phones within that budget and screen-size. Price on Amazon/Flipkart around 17k for this variant.

Can somebody using this phone help with a first hand review? Or maybe suggest some alternatives? Need to buy it within a couple of weeks.

Last edited by SoumenD : 1st November 2018 at 15:07.
Old 1st November 2018, 15:32   #28054
Senior - BHPian

^^
I also like compact phones but sadly nowadays its really hard to find many options
You can consider the Nokia 6.1 plus. It is smaller than the X4 with better processor, larger screen and latest Android available at 13.5K in flipkart
Sorry if it seems like I am advertising Nokia 6.1 plus here. I have no vested interest
Old 1st November 2018, 18:16   #28055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
^^
You can consider the Nokia 6.1 plus. It is smaller than the X4 with better processor, larger screen and latest Android available at 13.5K in flipkart
Thanks for the suggestion. It does look like a great option.

A quick glance shows me this :

1. Moto X4, 6GB version comes with oreo out of the box and is upgradable to Pie. So latest android not an issue.

2. Processor agreed Nokia seems to have an advantage.

3. Screen I prefer the Motorola's traditional configuration with the physical home button.

So now its in between these two. Lets see which one I end up with. With Motorola I have had excellent experience having owned 3 of them(C350 was my 1st mobile in 2003, MotoSlim in 2005 and Moto Ming i.e. A1200 in 2007) . However only nokia I ever owned was a 1.5k budget fone which was used as a backup.

How's nokia service in Bangalore compared to Motorola?

Last edited by SoumenD : 1st November 2018 at 18:18.
Old 3rd November 2018, 08:27   #28056
Senior - BHPian

Ordered the Nokia 6.1 plus from FLipkart at 13.5K.
I will be using a budget phone after a long time. Let's see how it feels.
There was a temptation to get the Pixel 2XL but resisted it. I will try to get the battery replaced of my Pixel 1 and if it works out, the Nokia 6.1 plus will be used as a backup/spare.

Also, it seems that the Pie release for Nokia 6.1 plus has fixed the image quality issue of the stock camera app and it's giving almost similar quality as the Google camera. I will install it and let you know. Also, I have installed the Pixel 3 camera mod on my original Pixel and the much-advertised NightSight mode is actually awesome. Also, I am able to take bokeh portrait shots with both back and front cameras and the quality is great.
Old 3rd November 2018, 14:27   #28057
BHPian

Folks, planning to buy Pixel 2XL from PayTM Mall. It come in at about 43K but with 8500 cashback, effectively making it around 35K. Seems a nice deal. The only think stopping me how reliable PayTM Mall is. The only other place to buy it is on Flipkart but there it is at 41K. I have read over on the Online Shopping thread about PayTM so am a bit circumspect. Does anyone know of offers in the offline stores like Reliance Digital or Vijay sales?
Old 3rd November 2018, 14:35   #28058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Folks, planning to buy Pixel 2XL from PayTM Mall. It come in at about 43K but with 8500 cashback, effectively making it around 35K. Seems a nice deal. The only think stopping me how reliable PayTM Mall is. The only other place to buy it is on Flipkart but there it is at 41K. I have read over on the Online Shopping thread about PayTM so am a bit circumspect. Does anyone know of offers in the offline stores like Reliance Digital or Vijay sales?

My experience with PayTm mall has been good so far. I had bought 3 mobiles, one television and few minor electronics. So far the products has been as promised and delivery super efficient.
Old 3rd November 2018, 21:23   #28059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
No personal experience with this product, but the Spigen brand is one that I'm comfortable using. See this.
Thanks buddy. Bought it from their store today. Box contains a lot of things, was wondering whether all this is necessary. Anyways, took the plunge as I didn't have any other option and I don't want a screen that breaks light because of scratches. Gets mighty annoying. Hate tempered glasses too, on a phone.
Old 3rd November 2018, 22:39   #28060
BHPian

Nokia 6.1 plus was delivered from Flipkart today. Received the OTA update for Android 9 pie with Oct 2018 security patch on the first boot. It's about 1.3 GB so took a few minutes to download and setup. Initial impressions are very good. Slick OS, no bloatware, only Google apps pre installed and can be uninstalled. Phone has a slim profile and can be used one handed but very slippery so definitely need a case. One thing I absolutely hate is the notch, which was absolutely unnecessary. Haven't managed to get over it yet.

If only I can find a reliable replacement battery for my Nexus 6 now.
Old 4th November 2018, 00:09   #28061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Available from Flipkart at 37K if you have SBI card.
WOuld advise you to buy from flipkart. Good luck!
Old 4th November 2018, 00:23   #28062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. Moto X4, 6GB version comes with oreo out of the box and is upgradable to Pie. So latest android not an issue.

3. Screen I prefer the Motorola's traditional configuration with the physical home button.

So now its in between these two. Lets see which one I end up with. With Motorola I have had excellent experience having owned 3 of them(C350 was my 1st mobile in 2003, MotoSlim in 2005 and Moto Ming i.e. A1200 in 2007) . However only nokia I ever owned was a 1.5k budget fone which was used as a backup.

How's nokia service in Bangalore compared to Motorola?
I would advise you to skip comparing anything except size and propensity to hang.

I own the otherwise gorgeous HTC U11. 6GBRAM/128GB ROM. This is a top end beast - at par withthe S8+ in every way. Except this.

Every couple of days, the damn device will begin to lag. Think slow motion typing, or frame drop during rapid multitasking. Of course, I have 180 apps installed but damn it - if a so called flagship cant handle this much, what will? an iPhone? My iPhone 6 handled all of this with aplomb.

The only Android which handles all of this load well is frankly only 1+ series and the Moto X (atleast the X2 held up well for three years for a close colleague).
Old 4th November 2018, 08:31   #28063
BHPian

Quote:

?
IMHO, it is best to get the latest released mobile phone. Motorola is not known for doling out monthly security updates(myself using Moto z play with August security patch). Rather than android version, go for the handset manufacturer that gives timely security updates.

Nokia 6.1 is recently launched and will get guaranteed software updates for 2 years and security updates for three years(as part of android one program). Moto X4 has been in the market for already 6 months.

Build quality, rest assured will atleast be on par with Motorola(whose build quality in fact has taken a hit after acquisition by Lenovo; case in point Moto g5. Apart from flagships, Moto mid range phones somehow do not feel built to withstand rough use).

P.s. Not a Nokia fan boy and have been a Moto user since G2. Moto mobiles used till date: Moto e, Moto e2, Moto G2, Moto G5 and Moto z play.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th November 2018 at 13:33. Reason: Typo.
Old 4th November 2018, 13:09   #28064
Senior - BHPian

Anybody using Honor phones here? How is the UI holding up? Does it start to lag as time progresses?

Can the Honor 8x be considered an upgrade from Redmi Note 4?

How long will non-replaceable batteries hold on, on a daily charging frequency? My Redmi Note 4 battery bulged after 1.5 years of above average use.
Old 4th November 2018, 13:30   #28065
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Anybody using Honor phones here? How is the UI holding up? Does it start to lag as time progresses?

Can the Honor 8x be considered an upgrade from Redmi Note 4?

How long will non-replaceable batteries hold on, on a daily charging frequency? My Redmi Note 4 battery bulged after 1.5 years of above average use.
Can't comment on the battery going bad, but I've been on honor for over a year now. 6x and 9i. No lag on either phones. Next up is 8x now since I managed to break the screen on the 9i.
Neither of the phones ever lagged, and I've not been skimpy on usage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks