Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2018, 16:07   #27691
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Alternatives: Asus Zenfone 5z - Same hardware but at a better price.

I recently bought LG V30+ for the Quad Dec and paid only 27K for it after exchange bonus... I can vouch for the build quality and the camera in case of LV V30+.

The Quad Dec is also a great experience when paired with a good headphone.
Thank you for the inputs. Asus is not in the picture because of the two negatives - smaller battery and an inferior camera, also the base version costs same as top end version of Poco F1 - so, no real price advantage there.

The V30+ is a sweet deal. I have never used a LG mobile yet, so pardon me asking - how good is the software experience? Have you used MIUI\Oxygen OS, and if yes, can you please give a comparison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I'd get the Poco F1 from the two! From what I have read and from the Youtube reviews as well, the camera is not bad at all

Another alternative (if looks are a criteria) would be the Honor 10.

As for Mi8, yes it is expected to be launched in some time. You can definitely wait for it if there is no pressing need to upgrade now. But then, probably by then there will be other new models in the market and same dilemma as to what to buy
Yes, some of the reviews say the camera is not that bad, while some reviews say the camera is clearly inferior to OP6 so the confusion.

Honor - not a fan of the UI and looks are not a priority too (though I have to agree that the phone does look good).

Absolutely agree with what you said about Mi8. By the time Mi8 gets launched, there will be more to choose from and the confusion will continue. Anyway, I can wait till September end, if there is any news of Mi 8 getting launched, but otherwise, I would like to do the upgrade at the earliest - the upgrade itch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
OP and Poco are in two different leagues, OnePlus is now competing with the big boys, providing the *similiar* smartphone experience, but undercutting price. Poco is targeting the space left by OP in the best-bang-for-money segment, OP is rumoured to enter this space with Oppo's RealMe.
True - but the million dollar question is, is Poco good enough or have OP6 moved the game so far that it is worth paying extra to get the OP6. Please post initial impressions once you start using the Poco F1.

--Anoop
Old 29th August 2018, 16:41   #27692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
The V30+ is a sweet deal. I have never used a LG mobile yet, so pardon me asking - how good is the software experience? Have you used MIUI\Oxygen OS, and if yes, can you please give a comparison?
I have been using LG phones for some time now, the G3, G4, v20 and now the V30+.

Wife has been with the OP3 and now with OP6.

Jealous of OPs dash charge and pretty good updates.

But love the LG's Quad DAC [significant only if you have a good collection of quality music and a good pair of earphones/headphones], the wide angle rear/front cam. But the front cam by itself is rather weak.

Software updates with LG have always been hit or miss, and got the Oreo update only very recently but surprisingly the phone is now getting August security update. So i am hoping it's a sign of things to come

Lovely display supporting Dolby vision [HDR] and no notch
Old 29th August 2018, 17:44   #27693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I have been using LG phones for some time now, the G3, G4, v20 and now the V30+.

Wife has been with the OP3 and now with OP6.

Jealous of OPs dash charge and pretty good updates.

But love the LG's Quad DAC [significant only if you have a good collection of quality music and a good pair of earphones/headphones], the wide angle rear/front cam. But the front cam by itself is rather weak.

Software updates with LG have always been hit or miss, and got the Oreo update only very recently but surprisingly the phone is now getting August security update. So i am hoping it's a sign of things to come

Lovely display supporting Dolby vision [HDR] and no notch
Thank you - this helped.
I will try to visit some B&M store to get a touch and feel of LG and will take a call.

--Anoop
Old 29th August 2018, 17:47   #27694
BHPian

Quote:
True - but the million dollar question is, is Poco good enough or have OP6 moved the game so far that it is worth paying extra to get the OP6. Please post initial impressions once you start using the Poco F1.

--Anoop
With OP6 you get better camera, better build, looks worthy of a high end smartphone, better display, so overall OP has definitely moved the game, step by step with each release.

Poco on the hand is just focusing on providing the raw speed at very low price point, everything else is definitely good but not as good as OP6, so you either pay more for OP6 and get everything that's worth the price, and with Poco, you are virtually saying, I don't worry about looks, smartphone is not my primary camera, I just need a phone that could do the everyday tasks without lag and can deal heavy tasks with ease, all this at a mouth watering price.

Sure, I will post my initial impressions, after using it for a couple of days.
Old 29th August 2018, 18:00   #27695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Your friends are right. The Poco F1 is the best value for your money device at the moment. You can go for the basic 6GB/64GB storage variant at 21k. At 21k this is the best phone you can get that will run lag free for a good long time. The MIUI for poco looks very polished compared to MIUI for Redmi or MI phones. So you cannot go wrong with the device. Use the bundled back case and the back panel gets a glass finish kinda look which sorts out the looks good part for you as well!!

Thank your inputs. Got the same suggestion from friends, that the few thousands over the Nokia will be recovered easily because POCO is more future proof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
I am still not convinced by MIUI.

I am scared of MIUI would slow down over long term usage. My OP3T is still flying after almost 2 years. I might just wait for 6T after all.

But got to admit, Poco is on hell of a bargain. A la Oneplus one of its time

Same here. Have been using Motorola for the past four years. Unsure about MIUI and the phone build quality.

Quote:
PS: Did any one manage to get their hands on the Poco F1 in today's sale? Any first impressions?

--Anoop

When is the next sale ?
Old 29th August 2018, 18:44   #27696
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Or, is there any other good mobile under 35K, I need to look at?
Maybe the Honor 10..? Been using it for ~ 2 months and mighty impressed. No issues at all, as snappy as fast as my friend's S9/OP 5T. Camera is as good as S9 save for extreme low light photography.

You may give it a thought. Between these two, I would wait for OP6 T .
Old 29th August 2018, 18:51   #27697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
With OP6 you get better camera, better build, looks worthy of a high end smartphone, better display, so overall OP has definitely moved the game, step by step with each release.

Poco on the hand is just focusing on providing the raw speed at very low price point, everything else is definitely good but not as good as OP6, so you either pay more for OP6 and get everything that's worth the price, and with Poco, you are virtually saying, I don't worry about looks, smartphone is not my primary camera, I just need a phone that could do the everyday tasks without lag and can deal heavy tasks with ease, all this at a mouth watering price.

Sure, I will post my initial impressions, after using it for a couple of days.
Thank you - So, in a nutshell, Poco is a glorified Note4\Note5. I am now getting more and more inclined towards OP6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Same here. Have been using Motorola for the past four years. Unsure about MIUI and the phone build quality.
Worry not - the MIUI do not get laggy with use. All my Redmi mobiles were as fast on the last day of use as the day I unpacked them. The UI is packed with many nifty features, and the updates are swift.

The next sale is on September 5th. Today they had only the 6 GB models available - hope the 8Gb models are available for the next sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Maybe the Honor 10..? Been using it for ~ 2 months and mighty impressed. No issues at all, as snappy as fast as my friend's S9/OP 5T. Camera is as good as S9 save for extreme low light photography.

You may give it a thought. Between these two, I would wait for OP6 T .
Yes, that is another tantalizing thought - I think they may unveil the OP6T in September. Honer 10 - well, the phone looks tempting, but then OP6 is just at an arm's length if I am vying for Honor 10.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 29th August 2018 at 18:55.
Old 30th August 2018, 12:39   #27698
BHPian

Has anyone seen the Poco phone F1 in flesh at one of the Mi stores? I still don't see one anywhere in several malls i visited in Bangalore. Would be good to check MIUI once before buying. Watching YouTube videos is just not enough for me.
Old 30th August 2018, 15:06   #27699
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you - So, in a nutshell, Poco is a glorified Note4\Note5. I am now getting more and more inclined towards OP6.

Yes, that is another tantalizing thought - I think they may unveil the OP6T in September.

--Anoop
Anoop: Based on what I have read through last few of your posts, I would suggest you to look at LG or S9 more closely. They are proper flagships with certified water proofing, shock proofing (LG), wireless charging, better speakers, audio codecs and cameras. Last time I checked, I could buy S9 128 GB variant for all of 41 K from Samsung Store with Corporate offers (different prices when we register through our corporate email accounts) and HDFC cashbacks. I in fact, placed an order for S9 Plus 128 GB with effective price of 52 K (including the HDFC Cashback). At these price points Samsung or LG totally justify the minuscule differential with OP6, which despite all of its marketing, has some corners cuts. And I have not yet started with the difference in the quality and availability of After Sales Support of OP6 versus the LG or Samsung. The only thing on which Oneplus is better than LG or Samsung is, the Android Skin - Oxygen 'OS'. 6 GB of RAM means little for the real world usage and 8 GB of it means nothing at all.

I would also suggest you to look for 128 GB of memory. With high resolution imaging and 4K recordings or slow motion (my favorite mode), memory gets eaten up quite fast and one needs 128 GB on phone for a long term ownership.

Also, OP6T is worth the wait as per last few years' experiences, the T version is the ultimate, 'finished' product of the year from OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Has anyone seen the Poco phone F1 in flesh at one of the Mi stores?
Naveen: I hope to receive my glorified Redmi Note 5 aka POCO F1 today/tomorrow. I'll provide my impressions during the weekend.
Old 30th August 2018, 20:30   #27700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post

1) Nokia 6.1 +

3) Xiaomi POCO F1

TIA

When can one expect the flash sales to stop? From what I can see, they're held once a week, only on weekdays around 10-12a.m. A time when I cannot freely access the site.
Old 30th August 2018, 20:50   #27701
BHPian

I have the OP6. Please avoid it. Having poor battery backup and camera is getting bad in each update. Despite the 8 gigs of ram phone hangs sometimes! Poco seems to be absolutely value for money. Will try to get it if the issues with my OP6 continues for a while
Old 31st August 2018, 10:02   #27702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
Anoop: Based on what I have read through last few of your posts, I would suggest you to look at LG or S9 more closely.
The only thing on which Oneplus is better than LG or Samsung is, the Android Skin - Oxygen 'OS'.

I would also suggest you to look for 128 GB of memory.
Also, OP6T is worth the wait as per last few years' experiences, the T version is the ultimate, 'finished' product of the year from OP.

Naveen: I hope to receive my glorified Redmi Note 5 aka POCO F1 today/tomorrow. I'll provide my impressions during the weekend.
Thank you atnyia for the detailed post, but no Samsung, even if it is the ultimate flagship - I have never been comfortable with the UI and not a fan of the bundled apps as well. My BIL has S9+ and the camera is brilliant and the mobile feels snappy to use, but sadly not my cup of tea. Then there is this small problem of stretching the budget.
I am someone who usually changes my mobile every year, so till now, I never used to spend more than 15K on a mobile. This time, I decided to double the budget and my estimated lifespan for the mobile is 2 years. So, while I can still stretch 5K and get the OP6, I really don't see a value in spending more.

Ideally, yes - I would love to get a 128 GB version and yes, I do agree that 6 GB ram is more than enough for our daily use. I don't play any games at all, so 8 GB is an absolute overkill for me.

OP6T - Yes, will wait for one more month and if there is no news, I will bite the bullet and will buy one from the current crop

Waiting for your hands on inputs of Poco F1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I have the OP6. Please avoid it. Having poor battery backup and camera is getting bad in each update. Despite the 8 gigs of ram phone hangs sometimes! Poco seems to be absolutely value for money. Will try to get it if the issues with my OP6 continues for a while
Oh Boy! Now, this is a dampener.

--Anoop
Old 31st August 2018, 11:53   #27703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I have the OP6.Having poor battery backup and camera is getting bad in each update. Despite the 8 gigs of ram phone hangs sometimes!
Oh Boy! Now, this is a dampener.
Btw, my wife has OP6; but she has never faced any of these issues. She's a "heavy user" (for me, anyone who uses FB app on phone is a heavy user :-)

She watches 2 episodes of Big Boss (in two languages) on Hotstar almost daily and at least one episode/one movie on Netflix. Yet her charge lasts 1+ days.
Old 31st August 2018, 12:07   #27704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Btw, my wife has OP6; but she has never faced any of these issues. She's a "heavy user" (for me, anyone who uses FB app on phone is a heavy user :-)

She watches 2 episodes of Big Boss (in two languages) on Hotstar almost daily and at least one episode/one movie on Netflix. Yet her charge lasts 1+ days.
The latest Oxygen OS 5.1.11 update has brought some issues with battery and camera. My OP6 lasts only 12 hours or less. Did the usual steps of clearing cache and factory reset. Didnt work. May users have reported the issue in OP forums. Hoping for a fix soon.
Old 31st August 2018, 12:23   #27705
BHPian

Quote:
One Plus 3T 128 GB, 6 GB

Have been using since March 2017. I always found it the jack of all trades. Such feedback is rare.

The camera may be dishing out dissatisfactory results for the photography buffs, but it's more than sufficient for the average Joe.

The one thing that OP3T wins hands down is Dash Charging. There is simply no competition here.

Performance - awesome! Only slows down a bit when you are at 110GB out of the total 113 GB.

There are a lot of other things positive about One Plus and it's latest phones, however, since the same is easily available online, I won't add to that.

My experience says - unless someone gets an out-of-the-box defective piece, one can never really go wrong with the OP flagship phones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks