Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2018, 18:19   #27676
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Spend a year with the iPhone, and you wouldn't want to go back to Android.
Each to his own. I have used Apple products for 3 years. iPad, IPhone and Macs. Well I worked for Apple projects for close to 3 years. Used these for work rather than personal use. Even when at home I used Windows when I was not working.

I used to have feature phone during that time. During my time in US bought my first smart phones - A Nexus 4 and Galaxy S3 for wife.

Nexus still remains the best phone I have used till date. Have changed multiple phones since then.

Coming to Apple products - undoubtedly they all are brilliant. The Apple colors - I could never find one Windows whose display could match Apple colors. Never had any crashes. Similarly, I can go on about all the good features of various devices.

But compared to an Android/Windows device whatever they lacked were usually big downers. Their eco system was closed unlike Android or Windows. And in spite of all the good things the price could never be justified. It’s a phone after all and Apple are at least 30-40% higher than what they should ideally be priced for.

Irrespective of the quality almost all needs to be changed in 3 years max. No updates, weaker batteries, slow operation or any other reason. Paying a premium just because it’s an apple just never made sense for me.

The costliest phone I have ever bought was a Moto Style worth 25 k. I do not think I will ever buy a phone above 30 K.

And it’s been sometime since I stopped using Apple products. They were great to use till I had them. Never missed them even once after that.

A good 20 K phone or a 40 K laptop for me is good enough. Beyond that whatever we buy/get never justifies the increase in price for whatever additional they provide.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 27th August 2018, 19:36   #27677
Team-BHP Support

Kindly stick to Android topics. We don't need yet another iPhone vs Android battle. - Support Team.
Old 28th August 2018, 20:29   #27678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
3) Xiaomi POCO F1
Most of my friends are suggesting this phone, because of the specs being equal to the much higher priced One Plus 6. However, it doesn't look as good as the other two. I'm also apprehensive of cost cutting in other areas because of the excellent specs.TIA
Your friends are right. The Poco F1 is the best value for your money device at the moment. You can go for the basic 6GB/64GB storage variant at 21k. It will give you top tier SoC and graphics. Cost cutting is in the form of the phone being poly carbonate but it is very strong. In fact one youtuber actually tried bending it in the initial impressions video and was not able to get any flex from the phone. So build quality is top notch as well. Does not heat up even on extended gaming due to liquid cooling being implemented as there is no metal back for the phone for heat dissipation. At 21k this is the best phone you can get that will run lag free for a good long time. The MIUI for poco looks very polished compared to MIUI for Redmi or MI phones. So you cannot go wrong with the device. Use the bundled back case and the back panel gets a glass finish kinda look which sorts out the looks good part for you as well!!
Old 28th August 2018, 21:13   #27679
BHPian

Quote:
3) Xiaomi POCO F1
Most of my friends are suggesting this phone, because of the specs being equal to the much higher priced One Plus 6. However, it doesn't look as good as the other two. I'm also apprehensive of cost cutting in other areas because of the excellent specs.
I am still not convinced by MIUI. This could be because i am spoiled by Oxygen OS on my OP3T. So the presence of MIUI is the only thing holding me from going for Poco F1. Everything seems to be great with F1. The 4000mAh battery seems like the best part of the package and not to forget 845/8GB RAM.

I am scared of MIUI would slow down over long term usage. My OP3T is still flying after almost 2 years. I might just wait for 6T after all.

But got to admit, Poco is on hell of a bargain. A la Oneplus one of its time
Old 28th August 2018, 21:50   #27680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
So the presence of MIUI is the only thing holding me from going for Poco F1.
Look at a few youtube videos where they show the MIUI for Poco which is a different launcher in itself and not the usual run of the mill MIUI found in other Xiaomi phones. In fact the Poco launcher will be available on the Play Store shortly for other phones as well. First look, it feels very close to stock android with some additional features added. It also feels fast and the launcher is optimized for fast app launches. If my experience with the Redmi Note 3 is anything to go by, the phone did not slow down due to the launcher at any point. Even once it aged considerably, changing the animation settings ensured that the app launches were as fast as they could be on the device.
Old 28th August 2018, 22:27   #27681
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
I am scared of MIUI would slow down over long term usage. My OP3T is still flying after almost 2 years. I might just wait for 6T after all.
MIUI does not slow overtime (assuming you do not have any apps which slow down the phone). I had a redmi 2 which I sold just 5 months back, after using it for 2+ years. If miui does not slow down for 2 years in a budget phone with just a SD 410 processor and 2 GB of ram, I dont think it will slow down in Poco which has way better specs. MIUI ram management is good generally, and the initial reviews of Poco also confirms that. What I used to hate in miui is their app drawer less ui. But Poco phone comes with a different launcher with stock android like UI.
Old 28th August 2018, 22:57   #27682
Senior - BHPian

Hello BHPians,
My Nokia 6 (2018 model) has a lags when opening the camera.
Instances when this happens:
1. Double press power to open the camera
2. Use Facebook/Instagram camera

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

TIA
Old 28th August 2018, 23:43   #27683
BHPian

Quote:
I am still not convinced by MIUI. This could be because i am spoiled by Oxygen OS on my OP3T.

But got to admit, Poco is on hell of a bargain. A la Oneplus one of its time
I've used both Redmi Note & OP3t, I can say that MIUI on Redmis are ridiculous. I replaced them with Nexus Launcher and was fine with it. Redmi Notes are incredibly well made and do not slow down if you do not load a lot of crapware on it. My wife till last month was using it as a daily driver for the last 2 years and I can only say good things about it. The phones absolutely flies even after so long and has taken abuse like a champ!

If you are on a tight budget, I do not think the Xiaomi phones will disappoint you.

OP3t is a treat, I honestly looked forward to the Pixels but they are a let in terms of design and price. Even the latest Pixel 3 looks dated and would probably be a DOA product. Now, looking forward to the OP6t, hoping they can up their game with the camera.

The Poco (admittedly it's not a great name ) looks good on paper and the camera would make or break it against the OPO Phones. And, yeah also the MIUI, I really hope they stop copying Apple based themes.
Old 28th August 2018, 23:44   #27684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Look at a few Youtube videos where they show the MIUI for Poco which is a different launcher in itself and not the usual run of the mill MIUI found in other Xiaomi phones. In fact the Poco launcher will be available on the Play Store shortly for other phones as well. First look, it feels very close to stock android with some additional features added. It also feels fast and the launcher is optimized for fast app launches. If my experience with the Redmi Note 3 is anything to go by, the phone did not slow down due to the launcher at any point. Even once it aged considerably, changing the animation settings ensured that the app launches were as fast as they could be on the device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
MIUI does not slow overtime (assuming you do not have any apps which slow down the phone). I had a redmi 2 which I sold just 5 months back, after using it for 2+ years. If miui does not slow down for 2 years in a budget phone with just a SD 410 processor and 2 GB of ram, I dont think it will slow down in Poco which has way better specs. MIUI ram management is good generally, and the initial reviews of Poco also confirms that. What I used to hate in miui is their app drawer less ui. But Poco phone comes with a different launcher with stock android like UI.

Thanks for the clarification. But as i said earlier, i am used to Oxygen OS. And also bought a new Nokia 7 Plus for my dad which comes with almost stock OS. I am now mostly certain that my next phone would be either a OP or a Pixel or at least an Android One phone. For me, the software experience is paramount, so i might be nitpicking on Poco software. Let me wait for a few more months to see all the ownership reports to definitively conclude on the software bit.

As things stand, i am not totally convinced with either MIUI or Zen OS on the 5Z. No doubt both are capable phones in their own right but the software experience isn't as polished as any OP phone (6 or 5T or even my OP3T). Remember, OP3T is slated to get Android P so i might just hold onto my phone for another 6 months till OP7 perhaps
Old 29th August 2018, 11:42   #27685
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. But as i said earlier, i am used to Oxygen OS. And also bought a new Nokia 7 Plus for my dad which comes with almost stock OS. I am now mostly certain that my next phone would be either a OP or a Pixel or at least an Android One phone. For me, the software experience is paramount, so i might be nitpicking on Poco software. Let me wait for a few more months to see all the ownership reports to definitively conclude on the software bit.

As things stand, i am not totally convinced with either MIUI or Zen OS on the 5Z. No doubt both are capable phones in their own right but the software experience isn't as polished as any OP phone (6 or 5T or even my OP3T). Remember, OP3T is slated to get Android P so i might just hold onto my phone for another 6 months till OP7 perhaps
Stock UI is overrated in my opinion. Stock Android (not UI), is very lightweight, hence you get a lot a free RAM so opening apps is very fast. You can keep your device for a longer time. I used my Nexus 5X for two years before lag set in. But as far as the UI experience is concerned, it is a mixed bag. Though it has come a long way from the times of the black/green theme it is not as polished as the-rival-you dont-talk-about, or some Chinese UIs like MIUI or EMUI. UI elements, icons, colors etc are not quite there in the "professional" level. But definitely stock UI looks way better than the Samsung and LG UIs.

Oxygen is definitely better than the heavily modified Androids in Samsung/LG etc, but it ain't no stock Android. But then OP devices have the huge advantage of hardware (top end chipset and huge amount of RAM) which renders it useful for may years compared to other flagships.

Having said that I prefer Nexus/Pixel stock OS; only because I don't want to deal with the frustration of waiting for Android updates. Even my Android One Nokia 7 plus has not got Pie yet.
Old 29th August 2018, 13:10   #27686
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for an android phone below 35K budget. My main requirements are a good camera and good battery backup (spoiled by Redmi phones).

My current choices are either OP6 base model or Poco F1 top end model.

Poco F1:
Pros:
  • Brilliant pricing. I can get the top end Poco fone at 30K, 5K less than OP6.
  • MIUI - I absolutely love MIUI and graduating from a Redmi Note4, I can carry over almost all of my customizations.
  • Battery - 4000 mah. Enough said.

Cons:
  • Camera - not sure if it will be as good as the one in OP6. I am waiting for the DxOMark score to be out. The primary sensor used is the same as Mi8, which have a DxOMark score equal to Samsung S9+.
  • Quick Charge - OP6 gets charged faster than Poco. Though this is not a deciding factor, it is a nice to have feature.
  • Premium looks - again, not a deal breaker, but nice to have.

In a nutshell, if the camera of Poco is as good as OP6, then case closed.

OP6:
Pros:
  • Camera: One of the best camera below 40K
  • Premium Look and feel - Nice to have feature.

Cons:
  • Smaller battery compared to Poco F1
  • Not a fan of Oxygen OS, though I can live with it. Not a deal breaker.

The confusion:
Will Xiaomi launch Mi8 in India? Mi 8 has got the exact same score as Galaxy S9+ and if it comes at a price point similar to OP6, I will get the Mi 8 eyes closed.

Or, is there any other good mobile under 35K, I need to look at?
PS: Did any one manage to get their hands on the Poco F1 in today's sale? Any first impressions?

--Anoop
Old 29th August 2018, 14:44   #27687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I am looking for an android phone below 35K budget. My main requirements are a good camera and good battery backup (spoiled by Redmi phones).
--Anoop
Alternatives: Asus Zenfone 5z - Same hardware but at a better price. Now since this is Asus the resale or exchange value in future will not be great. But you pay less for the same hardware. Only the Front camera has lesser pixels and the batter is smaller but then it saves on weight for the same reason.

I recently bought LG V30+ for the Quad Dec and paid only 27K for it after exchange bonus of 6K on my Nexus 5 and some cashback. This was a great deal given the hardware and the build quality of LG. I used Nexus 5 (built by LG) for 4.5+ years without any issues and upgraded only due to the need for a dual simm phone.

If you can get a similar deal on the same, it will be good too. I can vouch for the build quality and the camera in case of LV V30+.

The Quad Dec is also a great experience when paired with a good headphone.
Old 29th August 2018, 14:48   #27688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post

Or, is there any other good mobile under 35K, I need to look at?
PS: Did any one manage to get their hands on the Poco F1 in today's sale? Any first impressions?

--Anoop
I'd get the Poco F1 from the two! From what I have read and from the youtube reviews as well, the camera is not bad at all (only thing is, it lacks the OIS but is a competent shooter in most situations and anyway we use phone cameras just for social media use mostly).

Another alternative (if looks are a criteria) would be the Honor 10. Huawei have slashed the prices by 7k so the 128GB version is available for 28k now! it is probably a better deal than the OP6. There are few fellow bhpians here using the Honor10 (like dkaile) so you can ask them if it is what you want.

As for Mi8, yes it is expected to be launched in some time. You can definitely wait for it if there is no pressing need to upgrade now. But then, probably by then there will be other new models in the market and same dilemma as to what to buy

Last edited by joslicx : 29th August 2018 at 14:51.
Old 29th August 2018, 15:04   #27689
BHPian

OP and Poco are in two different leagues, OnePlus is now competing with the big boys, providing the *similiar* smartphone experience, but undercutting price. Poco is targeting the space left by OP in the best-bang-for-money segment, OP is rumoured to enter this space with Oppo's RealMe.

As far as Poco's UX is concerned, its said to be lightweight compared to other Mi devices, comes with a completely new launcher, which I have been using since few days, and its as good as the Nova Launcher, which I am a big fan of.

As per few YouTubers, F1's camera is not as bad as it was reported earlier, one particular youtuber compared Mi A2, Poco F1 and OP 6 cameras side by side, in some areas it was as good as the OP 6's camera, but lacks OIS which results in shaky videos, and EIS isn't even supported in 4K videos, 1080p vidoes looks good though. I hope it pans out to be a good smartphone, got 2 in cart today. Will be delivered by Friday.
Old 29th August 2018, 16:02   #27690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
I hope it pans out to be a good smartphone, got 2 in cart today. Will be delivered by Friday.
How quickly did it sell out? Like cheaper MI devices in seconds or availability was there for few minutes?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks