Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2017, 13:27   #25441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I don't think anyone can beat Sony flagships when it comes to phone audio and clarity, specially since it comes with DSEE-HX, http://www.androidauthority.com/why-you-dont-want-that-32-bit-dac-667621/
First of all thanx for the generous reply. I was also a fan of Sony. As a matter of fact, I still am. Used to freak out on the W800/W810 etc back in the day. But since smartphones came up and Sony started making them, I think Sony kind of lost focus with what they wanted to do with all the great background they have in AV tech and how much or how to apply it when making a smartphone.

So the result is that they offer us stuff that was way over the top mostly, tech wise, so much so that we wouldn't need it but had to pay for it as it came by default as a part of the whole product even if nobody would ever need it in the first place. I think that's plain stupid. And irritating. Add to it the fact that they are always coughing up half cooked recipes and keep adding the condiments as they go in the new iterations, every six months or so! Pathetic.

The result is you have a device which is priced way over the top which it doesn't need to be, and is still wanting of something which will be offered in the next edition about six months later. And you purchase that for a bomb. Makes sense? Not to me. Sorry Sony. Your engineers seem to be overpaid going by how they are behaving. Look what they are doing offering 4K and HDR in a tiny 5.5 inch display! And the buyer pays for their extravagance. No choice here. I'm out.

My outlook towards a Sony smartphone is of an overpriced over hyped device which misses the main ingredients of what a phone needs today. Great battery life and an overall finished product which wouldn't need to feel outdated in a couple of weeks. By the next iteration of the same model! The AV aspects are good but if I need those I'd rather buy a Sony digital cam or a Hi-res Walkman. A phone? Sorry.

Alright, enough Sony stuff. The DAC scriptures though quite enlightening and detailed was kinda always suggesting about not needing to have a large file size. Maybe it was written in a different context. We are interested in how good the DACs serve us in the smartphones and if they are useful at all. At a glance these devices surely have an edge in how they sound over other normal devices. So all is not lost really. The point is which of them has struck the right cord and really sounds more awesome hence giving a bang for your buck. I tend to keep audio as a top priority when choosing a phone. The other specifications needed come later.
Old 20th March 2017, 13:29   #25442
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Any phone audiophile around? I'd like to know if anyone has an idea how the OnePlus 3T and V5 Plus stack up against each other. On paper the V5 Plus seems more promising with the 32-bit DAC and all. I have the normal V5 which has 24-bit DAC and sounds pretty sorted. Now want to go for the V5 Plus.
Phone audiophile is a tough thing to be. More often than not one needs to compromise somewhere. I nitpick a lot when it comes to audio. I consider myself to be somewhere close to a audiophile but with my audio system. With the OP3T, the audio is more tuned towards a 'heavier' bass than usual. And I use very neutral sounding headphones (Bose).
Old 20th March 2017, 14:17   #25443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I have a Spigen, it is expensive at 900 odd bucks but is super solid, specially child proof. And a el-cheapo Tempered Glass at 150 bucks. I have bought a Nilkin, will install it over the weekend.

Check this website out: https://www.skin4gadgets.com/

At around 300 bucks they have some good skins, I got one delivered today. Slightly painful process to install but looks really good.
How bulky is the cover that you purchased? Does it add bulk and weight to the phone? I love the in hand feel of the OP3 and am a little hesitant to let that go for a toss with a back cover. Or is this only a skin, as opposed to a cover (something like D Brand)?

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 20th March 2017 at 14:20.
Old 20th March 2017, 14:22   #25444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
How bulky is the cover that you purchased? Does it add bulk and weight to the phone? I love the in hand feel of the OP3 and am a little hesitant to let that go for a toss with a back cover.
Its actually among the more sleeker covers available. However don't compare it to the actual phone. I can live with it knowing that if it falls, it is relatively safe.
Old 21st March 2017, 22:47   #25445
BHPian

Re: This item isn't available in your country!

How do we change the country in google play store?

I was in US for couple of months and out there had t-mobile sim on my device and when am back here in India, am getting this 'This item isn't available in your country' error when i try to install 'myjio' app.

I went to the settings on google play store and changed the country to India. Still this error persists. What am i missing here?

Please advise!
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:18   #25446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
How do we change the country in google play store?

I went to the settings on google play store and changed the country to India. Still this error persists. What am i missing here?

Please advise!
Remove your Google account from the device and add it again.
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:24   #25447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Remove your Google account from the device and add it again.
Removed account. Restarted the device. Added the account back.

No change. Same error!
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:36   #25448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Any phone audiophile around?
How open are you rooting? If you can root your phone, you can flash "A.R.I.S.E. Sound Systems". The module can be tweaked to your preference. My Nexus 6 is totally transformed (Mostly ear phone and Bluetooth) after using these module.
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:38   #25449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Removed account. Restarted the device. Added the account back.

No change. Same error!
From an earlier post. This is what Airtel guys suggested me and it worked. To change my App store to point to India region.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post4007741
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:41   #25450
BHPian

Been using the moto g3 for the past 15 months. Planning to change it now. Not planning another Moto now, the current one heats up on using internet, the battery lasts half a day. Guess all this can be attributed to Jio for now .
The big let down was lenovo not providing updates for devices over an year old. That is a deal breaker for me.
Possible candidate is Redmi Note4. But there is no exchange offer now; so wondering what do do with the g3. Are there any sites that take the device back?
Old 22nd March 2017, 15:08   #25451
BANNED

One query. I had switched to GoSMS ages ago, and now have moved to Textra. Excellent product, but how does one forward the contact details of a contact to another recipient. I always have problems here. Even the full contact is a pain. I think there much be a wy to edit out some of the fields as well.
Old 22nd March 2017, 15:18   #25452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I'm in delhi and vodafone uses 1800 mhz(band 3) here.
Which circle are you referring to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I was able to use my Vodafone 4g SIM in my mom's redmi 3s prime without any problems. Probably depends on circle. Mine was Bangalore.
Sorry folks, my bad. It probably varies depending on circle.

Is there any website where we can check the bands used by each operator ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Been using the moto g3 for the past 15 months. Planning to change it now. Not planning another Moto now, the current one heats up on using internet, the battery lasts half a day. Guess all this can be attributed to Jio for now .
The big let down was lenovo not providing updates for devices over an year old. That is a deal breaker for me.
Possible candidate is Redmi Note4. But there is no exchange offer now; so wondering what do do with the g3. Are there any sites that take the device back?
Try www.cashify.in . They have a very convenient process. But please have your expectations low.
Old 23rd March 2017, 02:08   #25453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
How open are you rooting? If you can root your phone, you can flash "A.R.I.S.E. Sound Systems". The module can be tweaked to your preference. My Nexus 6 is totally transformed (Mostly ear phone and Bluetooth) after using these module.
Thanx for the reply RaghuHolla, but I'm not a " root" guy. But your suggestion sounds pretty good for "rooters" :thumbup:
Old 24th March 2017, 11:32   #25454
BHPian

Kerala RTO has released an Android App to find the Manufacturing Year/Month from VIN for any vehicles.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....vehicle&hl=en
Old 27th March 2017, 11:53   #25455
Senior - BHPian

Bought an LG V20 couple of days back. Got a good deal and laid to rest my Moto X Force.

Initial impressions are pretty good. Had a family function over the weekend and the camera was put to good use. Both regular and the wide angle one. Such a blessing it was to have the wide angle lens. [Both in the back and in the front]

Since i took a different car i could not test the much vaunted music capabilities but i got to do it today morning. And i must say i am pretty impressed with the way it sounds through the car deck. Yet to play around with it though.

Only concern is battery but i have ordered a spare battery [yes, it has a removable battery] and a charger. So having 6400mah of battery charge is plenty juice enough

All in all a happy buy indeed.

Most Viewed