Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2017, 19:48   #25486
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Any reviews on Redmi Note 4? Contemplating on buying it. Thanks!
I considered that as well, but went and picked up the honor 6x instead.
Old 4th April 2017, 13:42   #25487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Any reviews on Redmi Note 4? Contemplating on buying it. Thanks!
I am using one for the past 2 weeks.
The good -
- VFM.
- Fast Camera
- Good battery backup. Lasts atleast a day with 4G on.
- Features : Fingerprint sensor, IR blaster and other nifty stuff.
- I have the 3GB 32 GB one and I find the performance to be good.
- Doesnt heat up much on gaming and on browsing.

No so good -
- The size. Coming from Moto g3, so I find this a bit oversized. Bit heavy too, thanks to the metal body.
- Data and streaming. Not sure if this is due to the data network. Have the habit of steaming news and podcasts these days (thanks to Jio) while travelling and I find that I am losing network connection pretty frequently. Moto G3 was a bit better in this regard. I had tried both Airtel and Jio data.

Couple of times, I had to disconnect the call and dial back. One during a audio confrence, I had to dial back as I was not clearly audible. Not sure if this can be attributed to the network or the phone.
Old 6th April 2017, 17:37   #25488
Distinguished - BHPian

Google Play Music All Access Subscription Launched

Google Play Music All Access subscription launched today in India at an Rs 89/month introductory price. Pricing is good compared with Apple Music @ Rs 120/month
Old 6th April 2017, 18:21   #25489
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Based on above have finalized Moto G5 plus & samsung Galaxy A9 Pro
Finally went ahead & ordered Moto G5 plus for around 12K after returning my OPO under buy back. Was worried about missing the 5.5" inch screen of OPO but after holding G5 in hands, all apprehensions were gone immediately. G5 is a nice piece of hardware & for me highlights of moto are -

A) Moto Gestures. They work like a charm. Have disabled the onscreen buttons on phone & using single button to control everything.

B) Finger print reader is very responsive.

Overall very value for money hardware at the given price point with pure Android experience.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 6th April 2017 at 18:26.
Old 6th April 2017, 21:02   #25490
Senior - BHPian

I have an S7 Edge (G935U) since about 6 months now, running 6.0.1 and I have clearly disabled auto app updates on the app store. Yet my phone will update Facebook, Instagram and Facebook Messenger (yup, just these three) to every new version available in the app store by itself overnight, or the moment it finds a Wifi connection. This annoys the crap out of me. Can someone please tell me what's going on and how I can fix this? Would really appreciate it, thank you!
Old 6th April 2017, 21:06   #25491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
I have an S7 Edge (G935U) since about 6 months now, running 6.0.1 and I have clearly disabled auto app updates on the app store. Yet my phone will update Facebook, Instagram and Facebook Messenger (yup, just these three) to every new version available in the app store by itself overnight, or the moment it finds a Wifi connection. This annoys the crap out of me. Can someone please tell me what's going on and how I can fix this? Would really appreciate it, thank you!
6.0.1 is ancient! The 7.0 nougat updates have been out for a couple of months.
Just curious.... why wouldn't you want to update?
Old 6th April 2017, 21:18   #25492
Distinguished - BHPian

Redmi 3s

Purchased one for my mother during the last flash sale. Looks and feels premium in hand. Display is more vibrant compared to Moto g2 which was the earlier phone although they have same pixel density.

The star , however, is the battery life. The 4000 mAh battery means that it ran for 52 hours from a full charge with 22% of battery still remaining. This is with ocassional calls , whatsapp . Very happy with this aspect. The fingerprint sensor has faster response than my Nexus 5X!

Replaced the MIUI with Google now launcher and it feels like a complete phone now! Happy with the purchase.
Old 6th April 2017, 21:28   #25493
BHPian

Quote:
I don't use FB but I think there is an option in the Facebook app itself.
Should be there in the app settings of the FB app.
Old 6th April 2017, 21:32   #25494
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Some Galaxy phones come with Samsung's in-house app store installed, with its own separate auto-update settings, which will keep updating certain apps even after you turn it off in Google Play Store.

Try checking under Apps > Samsung (or something similar on your specific phone). Plenty of S7 users are reporting this issue even after turning off updates in Galaxy Apps, but still no harm in trying.

This used to happen on my old S3 too, random and annoying!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th April 2017 at 21:35.
Old 7th April 2017, 11:29   #25495
BHPian

Need help with a trip map builder for creating travelogue.

I am trying to build something for my kid wherein I am collating information on all the trips we have undertaken as a family so far.
I am looking for something which will help me in building one map even if the mode of transport varies. E.g. We first take a flight to Kochi, and then travel around Kerala by road, and then take the flight back to Delhi.

Gmaps does not let us pick 2 modes of transport in one map setting.

Is anyone aware of any such tools?
Old 9th April 2017, 07:59   #25496
Senior - BHPian

Want a 4G Volte phone.

I am having Redmi 1S.
I want to buy a Secondary (or Primary) phone which would have following features-
1. 4G Volte support
2. Wifi Hotspot.
3. The Redmi 1S has tendency of reloading Chrome Tabs whenever I switch between Chrome Tabs or apps (switching between chrome and other open apps). This irritates me if I am middle of something and don't want the webpage to reload after I return from some other App. The new phone should eliminate this. I don't understand why does it try to reload the webpage if I switch between Tabs or Apps. Any idea?
4. Budget 5K.
5. Don't want to go for another Xiaomi Product. i.e. Redmi 3S.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 9th April 2017 at 08:04. Reason: Typo.
Old 9th April 2017, 08:52   #25497
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
If you think the S7 edge looks delicate then you will love the v20. It's pretty straightforward design and just subtly goes about it's job without drawing too much attention to it. And yea, after the G3 and G4 i just couldn't bring myself to buy the G5. Was just so bad.

And the V20 is military rated for drops so you should be ok without a case but i would suggest getting one at least to protect the camera bump.
Got the V20 yesterday; its huge but otherwise the first impressions are very positive.
Traded in the S7 egde for the new iPad as well

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img20170409wa0012.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 9th April 2017 at 09:07.
Old 9th April 2017, 11:24   #25498
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I am having Redmi 1S.
I want to buy a Secondary (or Primary) phone which would have following features-
1. 4G Volte support
2. Wifi Hotspot.
3. The Redmi 1S has tendency of reloading Chrome Tabs whenever I switch between Chrome Tabs or apps (switching between chrome and other open apps). This irritates me if I am middle of something and don't want the webpage to reload after I return from some other App. The new phone should eliminate this. I don't understand why does it try to reload the webpage if I switch between Tabs or Apps. Any idea?
4. Budget 5K.
5. Don't want to go for another Xiaomi Product. i.e. Redmi 3S.
If i may ask, why no xiaomi product?

Because the closest answer to your requirements is the recently launched Redmi 4A for 6k or the Redmi 3S at 7k.

That reloading is due to lower RAM in Redmi 1S, so getting a phone with at least 2GB ram should fix that as long as you are not switching between heavy apps and full desktop pages. If that would be the case, get a phone with 3 or 4gb of RAM. Again the Redmi 3S prime or the lenovo k4 power would fit that, but the price would almost be double.
Old 9th April 2017, 12:47   #25499
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I considered that as well, but went and picked up the honor 6x instead.
Apart from my Xperia x10, at that point in time, this thing has the best camera I've had on a phone.
This was taken at 10 in the night with a 2 second exposure.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20170406_223403.jpg  

Old 9th April 2017, 14:40   #25500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Apart from my Xperia x10, at that point in time, this thing has the best camera I've had on a phone.
This was taken at 10 in the night with a 2 second exposure.
There's very little noise in that photo.

How well does it take photos of young children? My primary use case is photos of my 6 year old in action, who simply does not pose

Could you share any insights about the nifty features in the ROM, if any? e.g I love MIUI because features like OTP copying, auto-filtering of notifications, fine grained permissions, call recording (if thats your thing), built in dual apps, battery saving options, mi message etc are all very nice.

I'm currently waiting for the Mi 6. Surprisingly, my RN3 does often freeze up and in fact it has frozen more as summer temperatures are rising in Delhi. This never used to happy before I downgraded to 5.1.1 (MIUI 8.0.6) in early march. Maybe it is egging me for an upgrade

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks