Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2012, 08:06   #10261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle

Thanks. It still has Gingerbread in it. I head that 4.0.3 was problematic. So I will connect to Kies only after I am confirmed that 4.0.4 is available in India. I will try not to unroot the phone so early.

Thanks for the info about memory card. Nice to see another Note user .
To confirm, are you using "Class 6 -30MB/s 32 GB"? Are you already on 4.0.4? If yes, how did you upgrade? Kindly bear with too many questions. I may have few more since I am new to android world.

I had Samsung Wave 533 before, which is still in excellent condition. But was always felt and I was stuck with Bada. I am sure, I will have better experience with Android.

Just saw this http://www.flipkart.com/strontium-me...1-51fdadc75562. They are claiming it's class 10. It's coming out to be cheaper than SanDisk class 6 (the ebay link).
Hello, and welcome to the club.

Yes, I am using that exact card. I believe it is Class 6. Never heard of Strontium, so I cannot comment on the card you link to.

I am already on ICS 4.0.4 DXLR2 (Singapore Open), have been running it about two weeks, rooted, and am very happy with it. I used PC ODIN to flash it to my phone.

IMHO, this version of ICS is far better than LPA or even XXLRG, which I tried and dropped. My phone is running better now than ever before. But your mileage may vary.

You can find all the info and downloads you need on dr. ketan's Stock ROMS thread in the Development Section of the xda GT-N7000 forums I linked to. I suggest you make that forum your second home.
Old 24th July 2012, 11:18   #10262
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
I was thinking about postponing my purchase. But then I read this post and now enjoying the awesomeness of 5.3 inch screen.

Bought Note at 31k. Includes flap style back cover and screen protector.

Question for existing owners.
Want to buy memory card for the phone. Should I opt for 16G or 32G? Also, which class of the memory card would be appropriate? (class 4 or better?)
Yes, you will start enjoying the screen from here on. I use ICS 4.0.3 with Scandisk 8gb card. Think it's class 4. I would suggest you to wait for the official release of 4.0.4 which will happen in a couple of weeks. Jelly would come early next year. I havent used GB before so cant comment which is better. I do find that the phone gets hot fast when using Waze. Also, since I have synced a lot of accounts, I find the contacts to be slow. So for this I use an app. Other than that phone is really awesome. Let us know about your experience.
BTW, you got the white Note?
Old 24th July 2012, 11:56   #10263
BHPian

Quote:

Just saw this Strontium Memory Card 32 GB MicroSDHC Memory Card (Class 10) | Memory Card | Flipkart.com. They are claiming it's class 10. It's coming out to be cheaper than SanDisk class 6 (the ebay link).
I have used this brand. Not a good idea. I had to replace the card after 3 months of usage and warranty claim was not that easy. Better go for sandisk
Old 24th July 2012, 12:05   #10264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Yes, you will start enjoying the screen from here on. I use ICS 4.0.3 with Scandisk 8gb card. Think it's class 4. I would suggest you to wait for the official release of 4.0.4 which will happen in a couple of weeks. Jelly would come early next year. I havent used GB before so cant comment which is better. I do find that the phone gets hot fast when using Waze. Also, since I have synced a lot of accounts, I find the contacts to be slow. So for this I use an app. Other than that phone is really awesome. Let us know about your experience.
Hi Naveen, long time

Got rid of the BB?

Whats that app to speedup the dialer and contacts?

Am using Exdialer/contacts for this.

Last edited by sajjt : 24th July 2012 at 12:07.
Old 24th July 2012, 12:45   #10265
Distinguished - BHPian

Just in case you guys are interested in GPS apps for your Androids - I am reposting my GPS/Maps discussion post here:

A licensing change in Ver 12.1 for Android - you can install the software on FIVE android devices whether they are phones or tabs. Bravo Sygic. This was sorely needed for people with multiple units.

Go here - Sygic | Support. And then click on the "What is new in Sygic v.12.1 for Android"
Old 24th July 2012, 12:49   #10266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Hi Naveen, long time

Got rid of the BB?

Whats that app to speedup the dialer and contacts?

Am using Exdialer/contacts for this.
Yes. long time. Got rid of BB. Thought it was high time to switch over to android. Even I use Exdialer. Much better than stock dialer. Initially didnt have any problem then I synced FB, Google, Sim and official contacts which slowed the stock dialer. This is helping a lot but liked the UI of the stock dialer.
Old 24th July 2012, 13:02   #10267
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I have used this brand. Not a good idea. I had to replace the card after 3 months of usage and warranty claim was not that easy. Better go for sandisk
Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Yes, I am using that exact card. I believe it is Class 6. Never heard of Strontium, so I cannot comment on the card you link to.
Thanks. I will go for Sandisk 32 GB then. @pillainp, did you order your memory card from ebay? Same seller as given in the link?

Quote:
I am already on ICS 4.0.4 DXLR2 (Singapore Open), have been running it about two weeks, rooted, and am very happy with it. I used PC ODIN to flash it to my phone.
Quote:
I would suggest you to wait for the official release of 4.0.4 which will happen in a couple of weeks.
For now, I want to wait for a few weeks for official 4.0.4. Till that time I will cherish the GB. I updated google maps to 6.5, which has support for offline maps. Cached Hyderabad city map (size 35mb). Pretty decent. Few places are not coming the cached map though.

installed few other apps (just starting):

1. Caller Location INDIA (quite useful)
2. Dolphin Browser HD
3. MoboPlayer
4. Talking Tom (for my better half)

Is there any free map/navigation service available for Indian cities? I will give Wave a try. Also want to see if something is available as offline map.

Quote:
Went for black (slight blue I guess) color. Because, my existing bada phone was already in white color. It's looking elegant in black, especially the Samsung logo on back cover.
Old 24th July 2012, 13:06   #10268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
+1, Strontium - class 10 = sandisck - class2/4. so never even think of buying anything apart from Sandisk/ Transcend/ samsung
Old 24th July 2012, 13:14   #10269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle

Thanks. I will go for Sandisk 32 GB then. @pillainp, did you order your memory card from ebay? Same seller as given in the link?
Yes, same seller. Very good service.
Old 24th July 2012, 13:16   #10270
BHPian

Are there big shops in Bangalore who buy your old phone when you are buying any latest handset from them? Thanks!
Old 24th July 2012, 13:17   #10271
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

A query for my wife's new phone purchase. Currently she is using a BB 9780 and now her company is moving from Yahoo messenger to Skype as their communication client. Since most of them are always on the move and working from various locations they figured out skype is better for file transfers, conference calls, etc. As we all know BB doesnt have a skype support and hence we decided for her to move to Android or Win OS. But none of the Win OS phones from Lumia range have a front facing camera and hence all ruled out.

Can you guys please suggest a good phone in the range of 15 to 20k which has a decent front facing camera and can be used for skype calls occasionally. 90% of the times she would be using that over wifi only. I am myself a Defy + user and tested skype log in on EDGE network and chat part works well. So for her daily useage she is sorted on EDGE and for that occasional calls she would be using the wifi.

The only phone i came across with a front facing camera and in the above mentioned price range is my phones elder cousin; Defy XT.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks.
Old 24th July 2012, 13:21   #10272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Is there any free map/navigation service available for Indian cities? I will give Wave a try. Also want to see if something is available as offline map.

Went for black (slight blue I guess) color. Because, my existing bada phone was already in white color. It's looking elegant in black, especially the Samsung logo on back cover.
You meant Waze? Pretty good, but I stopped using it since my phone gets hot after 10 min when I use Waze. Now switched to gmaps. Sygic gps navigation is there but not free. Guess you can get the apk file from the net.

I wanted to go for the same dark blue note since white tends to get messy but my wife wanted the white phone so settled for it. The back panel started getting a bit dirty now but can easily be cleaned off.
Old 24th July 2012, 13:35   #10273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hello All,
The only phone i came across with a front facing camera and in the above mentioned price range is my phones elder cousin; Defy XT.
Any other suggestions welcome.
Thanks.
In that range, best bets are:

1) Defy XT
2) Xperia Neo V (Better camera, official ICS support)
3) Xperia U (Dual Core, but no memory expansion slot)
Old 24th July 2012, 14:05   #10274
BANNED

Quote:
You meant Waze? Pretty good, but I stopped using it since my phone gets hot after 10 min when I use Waze. Now switched to gmaps. Sygic gps navigation is there but not free. Guess you can get the apk file from the net.
I am searching internet for navigation apps
1. Waze. Need to see if the heating problems happens with me. Does it require internet connection to be operable?
2. NavFree. They claim that they provide free maps + free navigation. Any feedback?
3. MapQuest. Not much idea

About GMap, I suppose the locationing will not happen in offline mode.

Quote:
Yes, same seller. Very good service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by #win View Post
+1, Strontium - class 10 = sandisck - class2/4. so never even think of buying anything apart from Sandisk/ Transcend/ samsung
Thanks, A lot this the info.
Old 24th July 2012, 14:29   #10275
BHPian

Thanks guys for all your answers. I was thinking how will be Nokia 500? Is it good??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks