Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2019, 19:22   #28681
Oxy
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

40k for the Pixel 3a is ridiculous pricing. SD 670 chipset in a plastic body and big bezels for 40k, like seriously? What was Google thinking? It looks like a 7k phone. And I thought the Samsung A70 was overpriced! Moreover in my case, it doesn't seem like a proper upgrade from my existing LG G7+.

Will wait till the month end or mid June and see what else comes up. The Samsung A80 looks appealing but I am worried about it's durability thanks to the sliding/rotating camera module. Other than that I think the Oppo Reno, the Honor 20 series phones and the Asus Zenfone 6 are worth waiting for.
Old 8th May 2019, 23:33   #28682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I really dont think so....
Sorry, I have to agree with you. But for the US market, it seems to be VFM.
I'd rather but this compared to a $299 Moto G series or a similarly priced Nokia.
The 3a might swing a few customers from the OnePlus too.
Old 9th May 2019, 01:11   #28683
Senior - BHPian

The Pixel 3A - both versions are priced well here - especially considering the $100 store credit you get in B&H or Best Buy. The XL with that discount comes for $379 and the other for $299. Good deal.
Old 9th May 2019, 07:50   #28684
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
The Pixel 3A - both versions are priced well here - especially considering the $100 store credit you get in B&H or Best Buy. The XL with that discount comes for $379 and the other for $299. Good deal.
True. Somehow the Indian pricing scene always never gets it right, for the flagship products/brands. That part I hope will get auto/market-corrected in time
Old 9th May 2019, 11:13   #28685
BHPian

US prices are before state tax. Indian prices include 12% GST. Also there is a 20% customs duty. So if there is somebody to blame, it is our own government.
Old 9th May 2019, 11:22   #28686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
US prices are before state tax. Indian prices include 12% GST. Also there is a 20% customs duty. So if there is somebody to blame, it is our own government.
But why does this not apply to other manufacturers like Samsung and OnePlus?
For example, the Galaxy S10e sells for 749USD in the US which is 53000INR, the same phone in India was launched for 55900INR, so its nearly the same price. All manufacturers except Apple and Google price their phones in India similar to their international prices.
The western market has hyped this phone because it is cheaper than the OnePlus 6T by 150 dollars, but in India, Google has priced it more than the OnePlus 6T.
Similarly, western reviewers compare the Galaxy Note 9 to the iPhone XS MAX as they are priced similar, but in India, the Galaxy Note 9 is infact cheaper than the iPhone XR!
Old 9th May 2019, 11:37   #28687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
For example, the Galaxy S10e sells for 749USD in the US which is 53000INR, the same phone in India was launched for 55900INR, so its nearly the same price. All manufacturers except Apple and Google price their phones in India similar to their international prices.
The western market has hyped this phone because it is cheaper than the OnePlus 6T by 150 dollars, but in India, Google has priced it more than the OnePlus 6T.
Similarly, western reviewers compare the Galaxy Note 9 to the iPhone XS MAX as they are priced similar, but in India, the Galaxy Note 9 is infact cheaper than the iPhone XR!
Budget players like Oppo, Xiaomi and Huawei take a price cut in order to capture the market. Price is the only weapon in their arsenal. Lately, LG has also joined.

The Samsung story is a bit different. They have to use the Qualcomm chips in the USA while they use their own Exynos chips in the ROW.
Old 9th May 2019, 11:48   #28688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The Samsung story is a bit different. They have to use the Qualcomm chips in the USA while they use their own Exynos chips in the ROW.
Even if we consider the price of S10 and Pixel 3 in UK (Samsung uses Exynos) and then compare it to the Indian prices, its the same story. The only reason Samsung uses Qualcomm in USA is because Exynos does not support CDMA. So I do not think the chip plays an important role in the pricing of Samsung phones.

Last day, a famous youtube reviewer was telling that the Galaxy Fold was overpriced at 2000USD, but the fact is the iPhone XS Max sells for over 2000USD in India. And we all know how Apple's latest set of phones failed in India.

PS. I am neither a Samsung fan nor a user right now. I personally use a OnePlus phone and an Apple iPad.
Old 9th May 2019, 12:58   #28689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
OnePlus and Samsung assemble their phones in India and hence save the customs duty part. This is where Apple & Google lost out.

I remember my 1+ 5T box saying 'manufactured by Oppo in India'

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 9th May 2019 at 12:59.
Old 9th May 2019, 16:10   #28690
BHPian

Re: Rooting 'Asus Max Pro M1'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Alternatively try what this post says (it's poorly written but easy to follow)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...2&postcount=36
Thank You! This worked like a charm!
Once flashed the recovery, while still the device being in fast-boot mode, one needs to reboot into recovery. Earlier, I was powering down and then trying to get back into recovery.

Now, the hunt for rooting software begins. Some say, we need to do decrypt before we do the root. Is that neccesary?

Also, for call recording app 'ACR' to work, just a rooted device with stock ROM will do OR do I have to go for any non-stock ROM? Please advise!

Old 9th May 2019, 16:15   #28691
BHPian

Glad it worked. Unfortunately I don't know the answers but be careful either encrypting or decrypting as you could end up with a bricked (useless as a brick) device. I'd suggest asking the ACR app guys over their email. All app developers have their email on the Google Play store
Old 9th May 2019, 20:09   #28692
Oxy
BHPian

Anyone here using the LG G7+ ThinQ?

I have a peculiar problem, I cannot seem to kill/exit from YouTube. When I press the "Clear all" button, all other things go off from the background but YouTube stays.

Anyone else facing this issue? I have tried restarting the device but that does not work.

EDIT - Fixed. It was pinned. Most probably by my little brat.

Last edited by Oxy : 9th May 2019 at 20:38.
Old 9th May 2019, 20:35   #28693
Senior - BHPian

Is there any app that lets one record screen and front camera? I want to record a presentation with me speaking in a corner window, like many youtube tutorials. What would be the easiest way to achieve this?
Old 10th May 2019, 04:53   #28694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Is there any app that lets one record screen and front camera?
Try this app called DU Recorder from DAPP Limited. I had used it to capture video of my daughter's dance that was being live streamed by TTD TV. It records what's on your phone screen so it should cover the front camera aspect of your need.
Old 10th May 2019, 09:03   #28695
Team-BHP Support

Does Google Pixel support an e-sim? [Dual sim].

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks