Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2019, 15:37   #28711
Oxy
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I do not understand what the purpose of pixel 3a is. Only advantage I see in it is the audio jack.
Already Flipkart have announced 90% buyback offer for the 3a, plus an extra Rs.1000 off in exchange of 20 Flipkart Plus coins. This is over and above the Rs.4000 discount on HDFC cards.

They know it's not going to sell much.

Last edited by Oxy : 13th May 2019 at 15:39.
Old 13th May 2019, 16:03   #28712
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Already Flipkart have announced 90% buyback offer for the 3a, plus an extra Rs.1000 off in exchange of 20 Flipkart Plus coins. This is over and above the Rs.4000 discount on HDFC cards.

They know it's not going to sell much.
90% buy back for 60 days? What happens after that? Stupid offer.

This phones true retail price is 29,999, and then add discounts over that.

Plain ridiculous.
Old 13th May 2019, 16:48   #28713

Re: Rooting 'Asus Max Pro M1'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I would like to know about this 'decrypt' file most says about in XDA forums. Some are of the opinion, It needs to be flashed prior to flash of Magisk. I just want to know in what scenarios we need to flash 'decrypt' file before flash of Magisk zip.
You do not need to flash any decrypt file before flashing Magisk because if your phone is encrypted, the first thing TWRP does is mount the storage and if it's not able to, it assumes that the storage is encrypted and asks you for the password/PIN. It then decrypts the storage and mounts it for you to work on. So if you are using TWRP to flash the zip, you don't need to decrypt your phone. You need to do it only if you are flashing the zip from your PC using ADB or Fastboot.
Please post the link to the XDA thread where they have suggested that method.
Old 13th May 2019, 19:12   #28714
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
90% buy back for 60 days? What happens after that? Stupid offer.

This phones true retail price is 29,999, and then add discounts over that.

Plain ridiculous.
Basically how it works is -

Pay 40k and buy the phone, use it for 60 days, and then upgrade to another phone through exchange and get 36k reduced from your bill.

I have heard it's a scam. They will find some reason to refuse the exchange.
Old 14th May 2019, 15:48   #28715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr10forever View Post
You do not need to flash any decrypt file before flashing Magisk because if your phone is encrypted, the first thing TWRP does is mount the storage and if it's not able to, it assumes that the storage is encrypted and asks you for the password/PIN.
I went ahead and flashed 'Magisk' without flashing 'Decrypt'. The root was successful!

Now, When tried to clear cache via TWRP it says 'Unable to Mount Storage'. What could be the reason here?

Also, Is it safe to wipe dalvik/art cache?

Please advise!
Old 15th May 2019, 02:14   #28716
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I went ahead and flashed 'Magisk' without flashing 'Decrypt'. The root was successful!

Now, When tried to clear cache via TWRP it says 'Unable to Mount Storage'. What could be the reason here?

Please advise!
You have your fingers in dangerous places. You have succeeded in your aim of rooting your phone: quite while you are winning! All that other stuff... if you have to ask, don't! Leave it alone. Don't experiment, unless you like bricks and paperweights.

Read Android blogs; join and read XDA. Learn a lot before playing.

Where I'm coming from: I know the absolute minimum about Android. Having a rooted phone is a requirement, but I am exceedingly cautious and proceed only with good guidance. The first time I rooted a phone I waited until the warrantee expired. And it's not like I have no techie blood, I'm a retired Unix systems manager.
Old 15th May 2019, 03:11   #28717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I bought the S10+ for my wife last month. The battery life is great and the phone is as expected from the reviews and specs. Size wise it is not significantly larger than the s10 but the bigger battery makes it that much more useful. She upgraded from a IP6s and hasn't had any issues with the size.

The typical Samsung/android issues of slight heating up and a bit of lag here and there is same as before. You just can't beat Apple in this regard. Her 3 year old 6s worked like a charm even today without any lag or hanging issues whatsoever.
Thanks drmohitg. I missed your post earlier. How long does the battery power come for based on your wife's usage?

I checked the One plus 7 pro specs and it sure makes a very compelling case with all the loaded features which is similar to S10 plus it comes with Snapdragon processor vs the Exynos in S10.

Couple of more questions to folks here before I decide:
1. Should I really be concerned about the Exynos processor in S10? Phone is for my wife and she is not a power user. It will be used mostly for calls, whatsapp, photos/videos, email and video calls.
2. How soon do Samsung release software updates vs One plus?

Wish my wife liked iPhone. It would have been very simple for me
Old 15th May 2019, 10:32   #28718
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Thanks drmohitg. I missed your post earlier. How long does the battery power come for based on your wife's usage?

1. Should I really be concerned about the Exynos processor in S10? Phone is for my wife and she is not a power user. It will be used mostly for calls, whatsapp, photos/videos, email and video calls.
2. How soon do Samsung release software updates vs One plus?

Wish my wife liked iPhone. It would have been very simple for me
To be honest I don't think you need to bothered about specs at all specially when you say your wife is not a power user. Phones 3 segments below the S10 can handle all those functions that you have mentioned.

Regarding Software upgrades, they have improved over the years with updates coming out sooner. But yes it is still not as fast as IOS or pure Google/android one devices.

The battery on my wife's S10+ easily lasts 2 full working days without any tweak in settings. So a full working day with moderate to heavy usage is definitely possible.
Old 15th May 2019, 11:46   #28719

Quote:

Please advise!
It is absolutely safe to wipe both the cache and the dalvik/art cache. In fact, if you ever have a problem with the phone which is not being solved by rebooting, boot to TWRP, go to wipe -> advanced wipe -> check Cache and Dalvik/ART cache (rest all unchecked) and wipe. It helps a lot and might just prevent the requirement of a factory reset in many cases.
Old 15th May 2019, 12:33   #28720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSuz View Post
The eSim on Pixel 2/2 XL only works with Project Fi and not with any other carrier. Like I mentioned earlier, Airtel/Jio eSim works from Pixel 3/3 XL onwards only.

I have a query, Can we simultaneously use 2 eSims on Pixel 3? similar to a dual SIM phone.
Old 15th May 2019, 13:43   #28721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
To be honest I don't think you need to bothered about specs at all specially when you say your wife is not a power user. Phones 3 segments below the S10 can handle all those functions that you have mentioned.

Regarding Software upgrades, they have improved over the years with updates coming out sooner. But yes it is still not as fast as IOS or pure Google/android one devices.

The battery on my wife's S10+ easily lasts 2 full working days without any tweak in settings. So a full working day with moderate to heavy usage is definitely possible.
Thanks again for the reply. I will go for the S10+ itself (even though OP7 is equally good) as my sister and my BIL use S9 and they have good feedback too.
Old 15th May 2019, 14:23   #28722
BHPian

My galaxy S8 broke (front and rear glasses shattered and unusable) - didn't feel like repairing it for 20K as the battery life was starting to irritate.
Temporarily, purchased a Mi A2 and using it. Was planning to purchase Pixel 3a (from the bestbuy for $299) but now with OnePlus 7 release last night, I am confused.
Here are my options:
1. Pixel 3a or 3a XL
2. Oneplus 7
3. Wait for Oneplus 7t
4. Extend the budget and get OnePlus 7 Pro
5. Or extend the budget further and get S10 series (especially for their lovely email app. Samsung fan from Galaxy S2 days - S2, Note 2, Tab 2, S5, S7 edge, S8 and other phones in between).

P.S: Also, if anyone can suggest an Android app that is as good as that of Samsung's native email app? My major requirement is the selective folder sync.
Old 15th May 2019, 15:06   #28723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
Was planning to purchase Pixel 3a (from the bestbuy for $299)
That 299 offer is only if you unlock the phone with one of the carriers in the US, isn't it? Else is 399.

Will the US bought pixel 3A phones work in India? I am considering pulling the trigger on the 3A.

With the best discounts I can muster in India, there is still a 8k price differential. I don't have a blasted HDFC card for the additional 10%.
Old 15th May 2019, 16:41   #28724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
That 299 offer is only if you unlock the phone with one of the carriers in the US, isn't it? Else is 399.

Will the US bought pixel 3A phones work in India? I am considering pulling the trigger on the 3A.

With the best discounts I can muster in India, there is still a 8k price differential. I don't have a blasted HDFC card for the additional 10%.
Should see what is this Activate Today means. Can someone explain this?

Here is the link: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-...&intl=nosplash

Even with HDFC card 10% discount, it doesn't match the price that is there in the US. I don't think there should be a problem related to the carriers.

Last edited by Astonite : 15th May 2019 at 16:43.
Old 15th May 2019, 16:45   #28725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
Should see what is this Activate Today means. Can someone explain this?

Here is the link: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-...&intl=nosplash

Even with HDFC card 10% discount, it doesn't match the price that is there in the US. I don't think there should be a problem related to the carriers.
I read it this morning. Activate today means, you activate it with one of the three mobile carriers. Its 50 usd rebate with two of them and 100 with the third. Am sure once you do this, they will credit back the discount.

You will have to choose the activate later and then activate it in india.. Where this offer does not apply.

Most Viewed