Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2019, 09:14   #29266
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
So, what do you guys think about pixel 4 and 4XL?
I think OnePlus 7 Pro is a better phone in terms of VFM. If a pixel it must be, USA is your only choice as it is not going to be sold in India.
Old 17th October 2019, 09:53   #29267
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
So, what do you guys think about pixel 4 and 4XL?
My cousin is coming to india from USA and there is $100 amazon gift card deal as a part of pre-order offer. I am more inclined towards the larger pixel because of larger battery.
I currently use iphone 6s Plus and i am willing to switch to android and keep my iphone as a secondary phone (currently i have android as a secondary phone).
only bummer is pixel 4 does not have an ultra-wide camera.
If you are moving from iOS to Android, Pixel is your best bet. It gives a very clean user experience, similar to iOS but with more flexibility of Android 10. Even without the wide-angle camera, Google’s camera implementation is quite unmatched.
And another good bit is that the bathtub notch of Pixel 3 XL is gone. I am currently on Pixel 2 XL and will be looking at the 4 XL when it comes to contract renewal in April.

Is the Pixel 4 dual sim?
Old 17th October 2019, 10:22   #29268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

Is the Pixel 4 dual sim?
It supports e-sims, as said in Unbox Therapy, so, maybe, it does.

I wish, clean stock android had more variation.

While I am not in to buy a new phone, Realme' specifications are mouth-watering for the price. How is its OS?
Old 17th October 2019, 10:33   #29269
Team-BHP Support

In the absence of Pixel phones, OnePlus probably comes closest to a stock Android experience with top-shelf specs (a few compromises but no real deal breakers).
Old 17th October 2019, 10:53   #29270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
In the absence of Pixel phones, OnePlus probably comes closest to a stock Android experience with top-shelf specs (a few compromises but no real deal breakers).
No 3.5mm jack is a deal breaker for me. Xiaomi too had removed it in some of their earlier phones but put it back in their more recent ones.
Old 17th October 2019, 12:02   #29271
BHPian

Quote:
Oneplus phones last really long too. I'm still rocking my 4 year old OP3. I don't feel the desire to upgrade since Oneplus has removed the 3.5mm jack, which was critical for me.

IMHO, Nokia is churning out some good Android One mid-range devices, with HDR10 Displays, good camera (Low-light photo/video is excellent), decent hardware reliability and manageable specs.

Strictly, spec-wise, Realme (sister of OnePlus/Oppo) has begun undercutting Xiaomi really well with amazing spec/rupee value!

Last edited by sharktale : 17th October 2019 at 12:04.
Old 17th October 2019, 12:10   #29272
BHPian

The new RealMe X2 Pro has some amazing specs! If launched in the 25-30k bracket this will be a OnePlus killer.
Old 17th October 2019, 12:50   #29273
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
It supports e-sims, as said in Unbox Therapy, so, maybe, it does.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel
I wish, clean stock android had more variation.
I agree! Samsung UI is much cleaner now, but still not as good as the stock setup of Pixel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel
While I am not in to buy a new phone, Realme' specifications are mouth-watering for the price. How is its OS?
No experience of Realme. Our household always stays within the three brands – Google, Samsung, and Apple
Old 17th October 2019, 15:37   #29274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
I'd say a no to the Pixel 4 line.

-The Soli chip works on 60MHz band, the public usage of which is banned in India by the GoI. So dunno how the legal aspect works.
PS: Have you tried the LCD on the iPhone 11? It isn't that bad.
I am also worried about that soli chip, if that does not work in india, i am afraid face unlock also wont work (not 100% sure but can not take a chance)
my wife has iphone XR which has exactly same LCD as iphone 11 which is of very good quality but is still an LCD.
I have seen samsung phones they are nice, once again i will have a look at s10 series and the new note 10 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post

The only thing it has is a camera! Its basically a camera that you can use to call and text.

I would recommend you check out a Galaxy Note or S series or even a OnePlus 7T Pro.
If the Soli chip is disabled in India then there is no point in considering pixel 4 in India until there is clarity or someone buys from USA and uses it here and gives us a feedback. I am certainly not going to take that risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I think OnePlus 7 Pro is a better phone in terms of VFM. If a pixel it must be, USA is your only choice as it is not going to be sold in India.

Quote:
If you are moving from iOS to Android, Pixel is your best bet.

Is the Pixel 4 dual sim?
Pixel 4 is a dual sim with one e-sim and other physical sim. If one buys an iphone or a pixel phone one thing is for sure that you can't take a bad photo with either. Having said that samsung phones have really caught up in terms of camera and their displays are gorgeous.
Pixel 4 is not launching in India so one can not take a risk with pixel 4 in India. If I were in Singapore or USA I would have already pre-ordered pixel 4XL by now.
Old 17th October 2019, 17:53   #29275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

But I must say, the prices have really gone up for a flagship killer phone, we need a One Plus killer now, I had hopes with Huawei, but I am not very sure with so much happening between them Google/US & what not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Oneplus phones last really long too. I'm still rocking my 4 year old OP3. I don't feel the desire to upgrade since Oneplus has removed the 3.5mm jack, which was critical for me.

Strictly, spec-wise, Realme (sister of OnePlus/Oppo) has begun undercutting Xiaomi really well with amazing spec/rupee value!
Somehow, Nokia's screens leave a lot to be desired, the new Samsung screens are brilliant [they always were], but android one screens aren't just that sharp.

Realme phones look promising, hope they aren't bloated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
The new RealMe X2 Pro has some amazing specs! If launched in the 25-30k bracket this will be a OnePlus killer.
We need a flagship killer, than a OP killer and than a ...With so much advancement in technology nowadays, don't want to spend over 15/20K on a phone.

Quote:
No experience of Realme. Our household always stays within the three brands – Google, Samsung, and Apple
Samsung screens are brilliant and the new design is somewhat likable. While I like iPhones for their UI and size, there are network issues, at least here. The only experience of Google phone for me was Nexus series, hope they launch something with sensible prices.

I would rather buy a replica Arai/Shoei than spend on a phone.
Old 17th October 2019, 18:19   #29276
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But I must say, the prices have really gone up for a flagship killer phone, we need a One Plus killer now...
Flagships themselves have gone to crazy levels, so OnePlus is still relatively VFM.

Have you seen the asking prices for the Pixels and the top-line Galaxy phones? They don't even get heavily discounted these days, except during limited sales.

Still, for someone who doesn't need or care for top specs, there really are a plethora of options within 20k that work just fine.
Old 17th October 2019, 19:16   #29277
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Flagships themselves have gone to crazy levels, so OnePlus is still relatively VFM.

Have you seen the asking prices for the Pixels and the top-line Galaxy phones? They don't even get heavily discounted these days, except during limited sales.
I agree on premium flagships, but 52K for One Plus and S10 for 10K more. A whole lot better camera and screen.

BTW, this video came up on my feed, I really do not know why

Comments echo the sentiments expressed.

Old 17th October 2019, 19:32   #29278
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I agree on premium flagships, but 52K for One Plus and S10 for 10K more. A whole lot better camera and screen....
The Pro variants are admittedly a bit much, and product differentiation is getting absurd across the board.

We're fast approaching spec saturation with handheld devices (would one actually be able to differentiate between 12 & 16 GB RAM during real-life usage?), and so the area with the max scope is probably user experience.

Apple are arguably the best on that front, Samsung have made great strides with One UI and OnePlus have a great thing going with OxygenOS (some argue it's even better than Google's stock Android). That will probably be their USP in the Android market in the future, not their devices themselves. Mi Phones have great specs but MIUI keeps a lot of people away.
Old 17th October 2019, 20:19   #29279
BHPian

Quote:
But I must say, the prices have really gone up for a flagship killer phone, we need a One Plus killer now, I had hopes with Huawei, but I am not very sure with so much happening between them Google/US & what not.
I don't think prices have gone up! The OnePlus 7 is now cheaper than a OnePlus 3T! Infact OnePlus has launched their phones at a cheaper price this year than last year.

Do note, even the OnePlus 7 is still newer than all other flagships except the Pixel. At 28000, its still a flagship killer.

The highest model in the OnePlus lineup is around 54000INR. Its still cheaper than the cheapest Apple or Samsung phone. So its still is offers the most value for money even now.

And whatever hardware Xiaomi or Huawei or Oppo puts in their phones, they still run heavy skins, and that spoils the overall experience.

If Xiaomi should relaunch the Poco series with stock android, then they would have qualified for a flagship tag. Otherwise MIUI is budget grade and unpolished. Same holds for Oppo and Vivo as well.

Last edited by Aditya_Bhp : 17th October 2019 at 20:23.
Old 18th October 2019, 08:18   #29280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
If Xiaomi should relaunch the Poco series with stock android, then they would have qualified for a flagship tag. Otherwise MIUI is budget grade and unpolished. Same holds for Oppo and Vivo as well.
I don't concur on OP's pricing strategy. Last time I wanted to buy OP 6, S9 was hardly 3 K higher for me. And it had IP rating. While OP has been an unrivalled no frills flagship once upon a time, they are currently into flagship category with most frills and whistles. As a branding success story, this ought to be taught in business school.
Xiaomi hasn't been able to break the shackles of budget brand. I have been carrying a Poco for 14 months now and I can vouch for what you mentioned. Functionally, the device is great, but, the overall ownership experience is no where near OP3 which I carried previously. MIUI is buggy, touches are inaccurate at corners and the display is mediocre. It gets further validated when I just bought M30s for missus. The One UI is far more polished. Despite a very average camera and plastic body, I chose this over MIUI/Color OS devices from BBK brands.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks