Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2013, 03:35   #14296
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Guys, just FYI, I dont know if you've heard, but there's Whatsapp+ (Plus)

Pretty slick and gives you a LOT of options to play around with. Power users will be very happy. Best part is it uses half as much memory as the official Whatsapp app.

Here's the link

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1624514
Has anybody tried this yet?

BIG BROTHER looming - Whatsapp, Skype, Viber, all facing ban in Saudi Arabia - http://www.arabnews.com/news/446001
Sorry if its bit offtopic here in the Android thread. But with all the discussion on WA, I felt it not totally impertinent.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th March 2013 at 08:38.
Old 27th March 2013, 05:50   #14297
Team-BHP Support

It was bound to happen. All these countries are feeling paranoid since they know USA can monitor these applications at will, while their governments can't. Especially after Arab spring.
Old 27th March 2013, 08:41   #14298
Senior - BHPian

Found thess codes useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-android.jpg  

Old 27th March 2013, 09:02   #14299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Thanks all. I'll get the replacement done at the nearest service center then.
Irony - We ordered a bumper case (Capdase) yesterday on EBay. :(
I have placed an order for a capdase cover too. The softjacket xpose variant. It'l be here by the 29th I think. Which cover have you gone in for? This one or the more expensive hard(rubber+metal) one? Can a cover really make that much of a difference in a fall? I've been using the samsung flip cover since day 1.It's quite sad though.
Old 27th March 2013, 14:25   #14300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post

Not crack proof, but its supposed to be more crack/shatter resistant and tougher than any other glass. So its kinda shocking to hear that Samsung phones are so fragile. But them Samsung is amongst the craftiest companies, and most likely they have deliberately made it fragile, so that they can sell several thousand/million new screens and add revenue.
Well Samsung Note3 is expected to come with world's first unbreakable display

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...splay--1140697

It would be great if Samsung can deliver on this. I am tempted to hold on to that S4/One purchase now.
Old 27th March 2013, 15:34   #14301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Has anybody tried this yet?

BIG BROTHER looming - Whatsapp, Skype, Viber, all facing ban in Saudi Arabia - http://www.arabnews.com/news/446001
Sorry if its bit offtopic here in the Android thread. But with all the discussion on WA, I felt it not totally impertinent.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to.
I have tried the Whatsapp+ a couple of months back. Its ok, i mean you get to tweak a hell lot of stuff with that like the shape of chat bubble, the colours, the lines in between etc. i didnt find it too amusing so came back to stock Whatsapp.
Old 27th March 2013, 16:48   #14302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
A bumper case will take care of this to certain extend. I've dropped my SII (I777 precisely) a couple of times with face down but my Amazer case was absorbing the shocks very effectively.
Yes, I changed from a sleeve (BB style) to bumper after finding this out the hard way!
Old 27th March 2013, 23:52   #14303
Team-BHP Support

I don't use cell phones without the bumper. Too risky.

BTW, this is shocking: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...tphone/272552/
Old 28th March 2013, 00:22   #14304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I don't use cell phones without the bumper. Too risky.

BTW, this is shocking: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...tphone/272552/
Wireless carriers own the smartphone industry in the US .
Old 28th March 2013, 01:30   #14305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I have tried the Whatsapp+ a couple of months back. Its ok, i mean you get to tweak a hell lot of stuff with that like the shape of chat bubble, the colours, the lines in between etc. i didnt find it too amusing so came back to stock Whatsapp.
Finally, getting exasparated due to lag, I installed WA+ yesterday. But just to be safe I installed the one which seems to be based on .1547 (pre holo) as mentioned by Nishantghandi. And boi, life has gone back to the fast (enough) lane. Huge performance difference between it and the recent official app.

Gawd knowns if they ever going to fix the official app.

Quote:
It was bound to happen. All these countries are feeling paranoid since they know USA can monitor these applications at will, while their governments can't. Especially after Arab spring.
As far as we and the Saudis are concerned, we have much more reason to be concerned about our own snooping governments than the US government.

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th March 2013 at 01:33.
Old 28th March 2013, 06:42   #14306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Even I didn't get any notification. When I tried using samsung on the air (OTA) update on wifi, it gave me a message saying "updates will happen in the same sequence as requested in queue" other than the usual message which says "no update available".
then i thought this is the right time to connect to Kies throught the PC, and then I was able to upgrade to JB for Note..
Hi for_cars1, I got OTA notification on 23rd - the same day I posted my Q. But I had to wait till I reach home for wifi. Surprisingly Samsung cafe/stores are not aware of the update(even yesterday they were not aware). I think Samsung is doing it very quietly.

My first impressions - Samsung Note Jelly Bean (JB) update 4.1.2
- Touch has become lot smoother. Icons and widgets look a bit crisper (or its me )
- Slide down Notification bar has become lot more useful with brightness control, additional toggle buttons, more elaborate listing of messages & mail.
- I'm on Google now. Seems interesting to start with & it has not affected battery performance
- 'Air view' is not available. I was highly awaiting this feature with this update.It is disappointment if you are dealing with images and files more.
- Multi window is sparingly used. Only during long hours of browsing it is helpful to me.
- RAM utilisation has increased to 600-700MB band which was 450-550 MB band with ICS and much less in GB. But as of now I've not experienced any lag in the functioning. Actually it is lot snappier. Job done well in this part.
- I really like to ripple effect and sound (lock screen)
- 'News & weather' widget is missing. Any help to get this back?
- No noticeable change in battery consumption compared to ICS. Currently my charge drops to 30% in ~14 hours. Except black magic I've tried quite a few common tricks for extended battery charge Is there a way to improve this ?
Old 28th March 2013, 09:49   #14307
BANNED

Quote:
I am sure our chaps will love to follow suite. More freedom => less chance to control and prosecute for nothing. Section 66 is an attempt in this direction.
Old 28th March 2013, 17:05   #14308
Senior - BHPian

Need some help guys. My Galaxy Nexus was hanging once a day since last 2 days. No response while unlocking the pattern lock and it used to give a message stating system not responding. Removing the battery and restarting made it normal.

Now it happened again and its not starting post the battery removal.

Cant goto Samsung as this phone was purchased from the US. Phone is completely stock, no major heavy apps and data also is very less.

Any suggestions on how to get it started?
Old 28th March 2013, 17:19   #14309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Need some help guys. My Galaxy Nexus was hanging once a day since last 2 days. No response while unlocking the pattern lock and it used to give a message stating system not responding. Removing the battery and restarting made it normal.

Now it happened again and its not starting post the battery removal.

Cant goto Samsung as this phone was purchased from the US. Phone is completely stock, no major heavy apps and data also is very less.

Any suggestions on how to get it started?

You may have to perform a hard rest. The phone will come back to it's original factory state.

You can google to get to know more about it.
Old 28th March 2013, 17:22   #14310
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Buddy. The phone just restarted after several attempts of removing and reinserting the battery.

Will take backup and do a factory reset to avoid further trouble. Can the gurus suggest a good free app to take backup?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks