Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2013, 15:47   #14281
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Not quite sure because the latest WhatsApp in my phone neither lags nor causes battery drain. I'm still at a healthy and steady 1.4% per hour battery drain.

Perhaps for you, uninstalling, reinstalling along with a wipe of cache and dalvik cache will help because sometimes an update of an app causes a wakelock and a consequent sudden battery drain like this in some phones.

It happened to me with one of the recent FB updates and when I checked with friends, their phones were fine. Had to reinstall and clear cache for it to get back to normal.
I doubt there is a wakelock as I would have noticed that. The phone does not loose juice at night when I keep it in Airplane mode. And I see it sleeping peacefully in the battery stats. A wakelock would also cause more drain... I'm only seeing a slight (but noticable) more drain, not a drastic drain.

Cache I clear every 2 - 3 days, so that is done. For clearing the Dalvik, I'd need to root, and need to find some time for that... but is it likely to help?
Old 26th March 2013, 15:57   #14282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
If what you say about WA not lagging on your lower end devices is true
Believe me man, am telling the truth I think the issue occurs in certain devices when certain conditions are met which of course needs to be fixed by the developer. This is one area where Android turns out to be a pain to developers. Numerous ROM's, devices and what not! Let's see how WA responds
Old 26th March 2013, 16:34   #14283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
It started only Today.

But, i somewhat feel that they have priced it higher. Almost 4K+ than the US ones.
What the heck! They are selling it atleast 4k more than US version and are soooo late into the market.

And if they can sell the Nexus7, why cant they sell Nexus10 and Nexus4 too.

Last edited by flyingkolors : 26th March 2013 at 16:35.
Old 26th March 2013, 17:05   #14284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I doubt there is a wakelock as I would have noticed that. The phone does not loose juice at night when I keep it in Airplane mode. And I see it sleeping peacefully in the battery stats. A wakelock would also cause more drain... I'm only seeing a slight (but noticable) more drain, not a drastic drain.

Cache I clear every 2 - 3 days, so that is done. For clearing the Dalvik, I'd need to root, and need to find some time for that... but is it likely to help?
From what I understand, whenever an app is upgraded, it modifies the Dalvik file inside the apk of the particular app.

When the phone is booted again, this dalvik cache is rebuilt. So I assume it is beneficial to rebuild it when apps are updated.
Old 26th March 2013, 18:15   #14285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post

My friend got the 8gb version recently from US for 200$. So I suppose 16 k + shipping for 16 gb is on the higher side.
I got my 32gb one for less than 15k INR from US. So this looks expensive to me.
Old 26th March 2013, 18:32   #14286
Senior - BHPian

So much for GORILLA GLASS and for SAMSUNG BUILD QUALITY!!!

I dropped my wife's new S3 and from a height of around 4 feet, it landed flat on it's face. The fall was slightly broken when the charger cable that it was hooked up to got yanked off. The entire front glass cracked up like a spider web. Isn't Gorilla glass supposed to prevent something like this from happening?
Now about Samsung build quality. My HTC One S has had multiple falls with the worst being from the first floor balcony on a marble surface. No damage! Zilch.

Anyways, now what's the best course of action. Samsung service center is quoting circa 8k. Money ain't the matter, but I want the best guys to make the replacement. I want a perfect job done.

Who should I be going to in the Noida / Delhi zone to get this done, if not the service center?
Old 26th March 2013, 18:39   #14287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
So much for GORILLA GLASS and for SAMSUNG BUILD QUALITY!!!

I dropped my wife's new S3 and from a height of around 4 feet, it landed flat on it's face. The fall was slightly broken when the charger cable that it was hooked up to got yanked off. The entire front glass cracked up like a spider web. Isn't Gorilla glass supposed to prevent something like this from happening?
Now about Samsung build quality. My HTC One S has had multiple falls with the worst being from the first floor balcony on a marble surface. No damage! Zilch.

Anyways, now what's the best course of action. Samsung service center is quoting circa 8k. Money ain't the matter, but I want the best guys to make the replacement. I want a perfect job done.

Who should I be going to in the Noida / Delhi zone to get this done, if not the service center?
Gorilla Glass is not crack proof. Where did you get the idea? It also shatters/breaks under stress. What it is good at is protecting from scratches (as ordinary glass gets scratched easily).

Have you looked at various drop tests on youtube how bad S3 fares! It is really quite fragile.
Old 26th March 2013, 20:01   #14288
Senior - BHPian

Anyone here own a HP Touchpad with CM9 or CM10 installed? If on CM9, have you installed the latest nightly build? Has that improved battery life when sleeping?

If CM10, hows it?
Old 26th March 2013, 20:23   #14289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Have you looked at various drop tests on Youtube how bad S3 fares! It is really quite fragile.
My impression of Gorilla glass was made up from my experiences with my other smart phones till date and I've learnt now the hard way.
No Need to watch any videos, coz I just had a live demo.
Any pointer for my question though?
Old 26th March 2013, 20:56   #14290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
My impression of Gorilla glass was made up from my experiences with my other smart phones till date and I've learnt now the hard way.
No Need to watch any videos, coz I just had a live demo.
Any pointer for my question though?
You can take it to the Samsung service center. I think Samsung has a very decent service backup in India. Once it is "healed" you wouldn't even know what had happened to your device.
Old 26th March 2013, 21:26   #14291
Senior - BHPian

Roy dada,

This is a 15 min job - I had smashed my Defy screen as well. This is routine replacement and 8k is a good price (defy was 2k but razr maxx was 15k INR!).

The problem is that you need a case or a nice bezel to prevent such damage - if the glass bears the load, it will crack. That is why S2 screen doesnt break as often.
Old 26th March 2013, 22:20   #14292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Roy dada,

This is a 15 min job - I had smashed my Defy screen as well. This is routine replacement and 8k is a good price (defy was 2k but razr maxx was 15k INR!).

The problem is that you need a case or a nice bezel to prevent such damage - if the glass bears the load, it will crack. That is why S2 screen doesnt break as often.
A bumper case will take care of this to certain extend. I've dropped my SII (I777 precisely) a couple of times with face down but my Amazer case was absorbing the shocks very effectively.
Old 26th March 2013, 22:29   #14293
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all. I'll get the replacement done at the nearest service center then.
Irony - We ordered a bumper case (Capdase) yesterday on EBay. :(
Old 26th March 2013, 23:38   #14294
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to Clean Samsung Galaxy Grand's White Flip Cover ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Well, I have experienced their service.
I bought A110 in Jan from Croma. After couple of weeks noticed two small greenish dots on top right corner of display. Took it to MM service. In 5 minutes they came back acknowledging it as a manufacturing defect & issued a certificate for free replacement.
Since it was out of stock in Croma, they refunded the amt.
..And since then I am waiting for my HD booked 1.5 months ago.
Okay, the experience of yours, is far better then what we get at Samsung and other reputed companies service center. Hats off to them.

Well, why you are waiting, Canvas HD is available at quite a few shops here in Delhi. Most of them are retailing it for, 14.5k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Thanks a lot sameerg001 - This worked.
Just now finished the cleaning job. The front cover looks neat and clean. However, the inside of the flip cover is still a bit greyish. All the stains are gone, but the cleanliness is not as new as the front cover. The material is velvet and I guess its difficult to get that pelrfect clean finish inside. I guess it's going to stay like that forever.
Glad to know that it worked for you. And yes, the velvet portion will remain like this forever, You can't really clean it the way you can clear the front and back portion.

Last edited by sameerg001 : 26th March 2013 at 23:51.
Old 27th March 2013, 03:17   #14295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Believe me man, am telling the truth I think the issue occurs in certain devices when certain conditions are met which of course needs to be fixed by the developer. This is one area where Android turns out to be a pain to developers. Numerous ROM's, devices and what not! Let's see how WA responds
I got no reason not to believe you.... As for WA responding, they have never responded to any feedback from me thru any medium. Was just going thru user comments on the latest version on the Play Store, and a lot of people are reporting significant lag on the new version. So its not just me who is ranting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
From what I understand, whenever an app is upgraded, it modifies the Dalvik file inside the apk of the particular app.

When the phone is booted again, this dalvik cache is rebuilt. So I assume it is beneficial to rebuild it when apps are updated.
The file corresponding to the app will get modified in the Dalvik, but last time I fiddled on an older phone on a older Android version, I found several files corresponding to apps I had uninstalled long go. I was rather peeved to find them still sitting in the cache! Maybe thats why we see a performance improvement when we clear it or do a factory reset?

But my concern is that is this still true for ICS and JB? Android sounds really inefficient to leave such remnants around. Anybody in the know who can comment on this?

And btw, the D cache is not rebuilt at every boot. It would take much longer to boot up everytime, if that was the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Gorilla Glass is not crack proof. Where did you get the idea? It also shatters/breaks under stress. What it is good at is protecting from scratches (as ordinary glass gets scratched easily).

Have you looked at various drop tests on Youtube how bad S3 fares! It is really quite fragile.
Not crack proof, but its supposed to be more crack/shatter resistant and tougher than any other glass. So its kinda shocking to hear that Samsung phones are so fragile. But them Samsung is amongst the craftiest companies, and most likely they have deliberately made it fragile, so that they can sell several thousand/million new screens and add revenue.

Last edited by Raccoon : 27th March 2013 at 03:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks