Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2011, 14:22   #6781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall
Yesterday night I connected my Defy to the laptop and executed software updater from Motorola (I know there is nothing beyond Froyo) just to see what happens. Surprisingly I got a message informing availability of some software update and I thought wow! Motorola might have come up with a GB upgrade and I may be the first one to upgrade stock Froyo !! he he he he. . . .After software update and a restart, the only noticeable change was "an even more slower" Defy!
Defy has so many custom roms on XDA. You just need to google and experiment.
Old 1st December 2011, 15:33   #6782
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
I had flashed this Wajkiui ROM last night. All was working fine. Thats when I replied here.

Then after some playing with settings & menus, I restarted the phone to set CPU frequency to 1GHZ, then again wiped Data/Cache again. Also tried to clear Dalvik cache but after restart the phone was stuck on Moto logo.
I tried reinstalling the ROM again but was not helping.

So I had to flash the Stock Indian FROYO SBF using RSD Lite.

BTW, whats the best VSEL value for this ROM for 1GHz frequency?
Congratulations - you are quickly moving up the learning curve

Jokes aside - why did you wipe data? That was not required.

The vsel values one takes is normally set in bootmenu by the ROM itself - the safe frequencies as per Defy CM7 are:
[COLOR=RoyalBlue]300-30 600-46 1000-58[/COLOR]
In general, UNLESS you are spending significant time outdoors in Chennai heat (or suchlike) you should stick with what the ROM writers have come up with!

That said, am curious how you managed to end up in this logjam - ideally the phone should've booted like normal.

The adventurous values can be gotten here: [updated.15.02][App]Overclocking/Undervolting Helper - xda-developers

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Yesterday night I connected my Defy to the laptop and executed software updater from Motorola (I know there is nothing beyond Froyo) just to see what happens. Surprisingly I got a message informing availability of some software update and I thought wow! Motorola might have come up with a GB upgrade and I may be the first one to upgrade stock Froyo !! he he he he. . . .After software update and a restart, the only noticeable change was "an even more slower" Defy!
LOL. Word of the day: Custom ROM.

btw, i've already given you the setvsel solution for this - did you not try that?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 15:57   #6783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
LOL. Word of the day: Custom ROM.

btw, i've already given you the setvsel solution for this - did you not try that?
@phamilyman: I do not want to try setvsel on my stock ROM. Yes, custom rom is the word of the day! I have sent you a PM in this regard
Old 1st December 2011, 16:05   #6784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
@phamilyman: I do not want to try setvsel on my stock ROM. Yes, custom rom is the word of the day! I have sent you a PM in this regard

You SHOULD try setvsel on the stock ROM to make it non STOCK..

Custom ROM is the next step..

BTW before Setvsel is ROOTING your Defy..Have you done that?

if not use superoneclick and root the phone!!

Am I correct Guruji? [read Phamilyman]
Old 1st December 2011, 17:03   #6785
Senior - BHPian

yaar, setvsel removes the lag in the stock ROM! I used it for a couple of days this weekend

of course the steps are:
a. ROOT
If custom ROM then:
b. 2nd init
c. reboot into recovery and flash custom ROM.
if no custom ROM then:
b. Setvsel

but ROOT is the root of all happiness
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 22:10   #6786
Senior - BHPian

on a side note, I checked out the Galaxy Note in detail yesterday. While its selling in the market, I managed to get my doctor to return it either for a tablet or the SGS2.

Note is simply a pain to use for normal calling and messaging. You can hardly use it while driving or walking around (and here i mean something as simple as picking out a phone to call).
Old 1st December 2011, 22:31   #6787
BHPian

A quick update.
Reinstalled the Wajkiui ROM, set the CPU to 1GHZ/58Vsel. The battery temperature was constant 38C minimum. (During day, out in the sun, it will cross 40-41C)

Also there seems to be some issue with graphics as I was trying Quadrant benchmark, the 3D test was showing all white objects.
BTW, the score was 2368

SO I changed my ROM to CM7.1 Update 11.11.11.
Seems faster than Wajikiui, also I did not face any graphic related issues till now. Quadrant score is 2015.
Been hardly 20 Mins using it.

Currently searching for a method to update the Indian Baseband into Cm7's existing list.

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 1st December 2011 at 22:33.
Old 2nd December 2011, 07:39   #6788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Note is simply a pain to use for normal calling and messaging.
I have to concur there but only for those with not really large hands. For people with large hands like me the note makes it up with ease of texting and as many said here the device is not a brick to use as a phone and form factor works wonder.

It makes no sense to buy a note if you already feel S2 is big in your Hands. I still repeat for bigger hands the Note is not a problem.

I am thinking of getting a Note as a Tablet and yet use it as a phone as my S2 just never ceases to amaze me..
Old 2nd December 2011, 09:56   #6789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
A quick update.
Reinstalled the Wajkiui ROM, set the CPU to 1GHZ/58Vsel. The battery temperature was constant 38C minimum. (During day, out in the sun, it will cross 40-41C)

Also there seems to be some issue with graphics as I was trying Quadrant benchmark, the 3D test was showing all white objects.
BTW, the score was 2368

SO I changed my ROM to CM7.1 Update 11.11.11.
Seems faster than Wajikiui, also I did not face any graphic related issues till now. Quadrant score is 2015.
Been hardly 20 Mins using it.

Currently searching for a method to update the Indian Baseband into Cm7's existing list.
[Tool] basebandswitcher V4 multilanguage V0.7 (22.07.2011) - xda-developers - download and flash it via recovery, then run it.

Good to see now you're setting voltages just fine as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I have to concur there but only for those with not really large hands. For people with large hands like me the note makes it up with ease of texting and as many said here the device is not a brick to use as a phone and form factor works wonder.

It makes no sense to buy a note if you already feel S2 is big in your Hands. I still repeat for bigger hands the Note is not a problem.

I am thinking of getting a Note as a Tablet and yet use it as a phone as my S2 just never ceases to amaze me..
The other thing which practically happens is that one can use the S2 with a screen guard but the Note is almost always in its case - which makes it further unwieldy esp to take calls and handle it while on the move.

And yes, its still personal preference all the way - I have fat fingers and the note brought me no joy (besides a bigger hassle of handling it). Its seriously overkill vs the S2 atleast for me.
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:20   #6790
Senior - BHPian

^^ I actually wonder how people can handle such HUGE phones..

For me, personally even the SGS2 is rather BIG!!!
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:35   #6791
Senior - BHPian

Guys need your help !! I am planning to sell off my Nokia 5800 and upgrade to Android phone in the range of 8-10K. I have zeroed down on:

1. LG Optimus Net 690
2. Samsung Fit
3. HTC Explorer
4. Dell XCD35

Please let me know which would be good for:

1. Good Wi-Fi and internet support for my home WiFi
2. Navigation - Good GPS support for Offline maps
3. As a descent music player
4. Touch responsive
5. Development friendly - I am planning to try my hand at Android App dev
6. Good after sales service and the OS should be upgradable on the phone

I am not into gaming and can do away with camera capabilities.

Last edited by neoonwheels : 2nd December 2011 at 10:37.
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:29   #6792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Guys need your help !! I am planning to sell off my Nokia 5800 and upgrade to Android phone in the range of 8-10K. I have zeroed down on:

1. LG Optimus Net 690
2. Samsung Fit
3. HTC Explorer
4. Dell XCD35

Please let me know which would be good for:

1. Good Wi-Fi and internet support for my home WiFi
2. Navigation - Good GPS support for Offline maps
3. As a descent music player
4. Touch responsive
5. Development friendly - I am planning to try my hand at Android App dev
6. Good after sales service and the OS should be upgradable on the phone

I am not into gaming and can do away with camera capabilities.
If you're willing to sacrifice on the camera the DELL XCD35 ticks all boxes. it has a MASSIVE dev community and recently got an ICS port

But check out the new "IDEA BLADE" too, if you can live with the branding it is the exact same phone for a much cheaper cost
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:54   #6793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
If you're willing to sacrifice on the camera the DELL XCD35 ticks all boxes. it has a MASSIVE dev community and recently got an ICS port

But check out the new "IDEA BLADE" too, if you can live with the branding it is the exact same phone for a much cheaper cost
By ICS, do you mean the Android 4 version (Ice Cream Sandwich)?? That is a news to me then since the last I knew, it was running in Froyo 2.2
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:58   #6794
Senior - BHPian

Soemthing to look out for. Can Non-HTC Android users check to see if they have this present on their phones.

Your Android Phone Is Secretly Recording Everything You Do (Updated)
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:02   #6795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
By ICS, do you mean the Android 4 version (Ice Cream Sandwich)?? That is a news to me then since the last I knew, it was running in Froyo 2.2
Yes,ICS = Android 4.0

The great thing about having a phone with a huge developer support is that you dont have to wait for official updates.the motorola defy ships with 2.2 yet most of the people on this forum are on gingerbread due to the developer support the phone enjoys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks