Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2011, 22:45   #6676
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Had been to Croma to check out Samsung Galaxy sl. In the process came across Garmin asus a10. It was listed at 9.5k. The sales guy said the phone came with Garmin maps with free lifetime updates. The device looked pretty good, did not fiddle with it though.
Any asus a10 users in here ?
Old 21st November 2011, 09:29   #6677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Had been to Croma to check out Samsung Galaxy sl. In the process came across Garmin asus a10. It was listed at 9.5k. The sales guy said the phone came with Garmin maps with free lifetime updates. The device looked pretty good, did not fiddle with it though.
Phone build quality is surely good, the only concern remains is lifetime free maps updates. as Asus and Garmin have broken the alliance, there wont be any updates.
Nicky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 09:45   #6678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
I see your question and I raise you this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2401364

Deepakchiniwal has since moved on with his frustration and bought a SGS2 or suchlike phone.

Enjoy!
Old 21st November 2011, 11:38   #6679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I see your question and I raise you this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2401364
Deepakchiniwal has since moved on with his frustration and bought a SGS2 or suchlike phone.
Enjoy!
Ok . That explains why it hardly garnered any interest in there.
What caught my attention was, it was a Garmin device running on android. That way one can get to use MMI maps as well as Nuvtec maps on it.
For pnd , Garmin + MMI = Costly. This i thought was a more cost effective runabout.
Old 21st November 2011, 12:09   #6680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
What is the option to disable Data quickly? Can I do it with just one or two touches?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The quickest way to disable data is to install Quick Settings.
The quickest way to toggle data in CM7.1 is to add the button in notification power widget, if you don't want to install anything extra, just for that. Way better than having a widget or a shortcut in your screen, because notification is accessible anytime. For widgets and shortcuts on your desktop, you have to minimize any active app and come back to the screen.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot1321857372084.png.jpeg
Just a pull and a tap does it for you.

Add it through Settings->CM Settings->Interface->Notification Power Widget->Widget Buttons

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd November 2011 at 00:10. Reason: Corrected Image orientation
clevermax is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 12:22   #6681
BHPian

To enable Google Maps Navigation which is currently available only in US follow these instructions, hopefully this is not already discussed.

Enable Google Maps Navigation

This will give you turn by turn navigation.
carbhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 12:25   #6682
BHPian

If you have GPS enabled Android device and you have another device which is also an Android but don't have GPS, then you can use Tether GPS to enable GPS on the other device.

I just installed it on my Nexus One which as GPS where I configured as Server and installed the client on my HP Touchpad running Android Gingerbread and also Tethered the data connection through Nexus One Hot spot.

Enabled Google Maps Navigation using the previous post and tested the turn by turn navigation. It worked flawlesly, need to test more.
carbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 12:43   #6683
BHPian

I just came across this Free Navigation app, Navfree. Haven't tried it yet though.

https://market.android.com/details?i...ndroid.OSM.ALL
Old 21st November 2011, 14:14   #6684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
The quickest way to toggle data in CM7.1 is to add the button in notification power widget, if you don't want to install anything extra, just for that. Way better than having a widget or a shortcut in your screen, because notification is accessible anytime. For widgets and shortcuts on your desktop, you have to minimize any active app and come back to the screen.

Attachment 844963
Just a pull and a tap does it for you.

Add it through Settings->CM Settings->Interface->Notification Power Widget->Widget Buttons
Absolutely brilliant.
This is exactly what I was looking for (though I now have Quick Settings as well). The best part is that you can change the order of the notification widgets. I was able to get Airplane mode and Mobile data into the notification area on top.
Now, only if I could change the GPS icon into something similar to what came with Froyo.
Old 21st November 2011, 18:25   #6685
BHPian

If anyone is looking to buy Samsung Galaxy Note, sulekha.com has a deal going for about 28,480 Rs compared to 34900 Rs in flipkart.
chennai-indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 19:29   #6686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
19999, Is a superb price, I personally had a lot of grudge against LG but a fellow Bhpian insisted I try this and besides a few minor setbacks its in everyway one of the finest droids esp. At the price, in certain tests it has delivered performance at par with s2, vcash just spare few mins on it if nothing you might just end up saving a lot of money

Not pushing you just an opinion.

Regards,
Okay - In my consideration set now. I am getting it for 18K with my 10% off coupon. This makes it very juicy. From what I can read in the reviews, LG's UI makes the phone not feel like a dual core device, plus lots of complaints that it was still on 2.2 and the 1500 mAH battery is nothing to rave about.

But I like the fact that it is 4", will be upgraded to ICS, has a decent 8 MP shooter, though not as good as the SII. Maybe I can use Launcher Pro or feel more adventurous and root it to CM7 right out of the box?

So here are my questions for you:
1) Once rooted, can it go back to the stock ROM if any issues? Will Warranty be void once rooted or once set back to default, there is no way for the manufacturer to know?
2) How is the battery performance. Read one review that said it only lasted about 4 hours and 45 mins with moderate use? I plan on having push email, gtalk and texting on through the day. Sometimes will use it to browse, use apps etc. Talk no more than 30 mins to an hour at max.
3) How is the camera's performance? Is it better than the Samsung 5MP variety?
4) How is LG's support in India?
5) Hear that the ear piece and speaker are not too good on the 2X? Is this true? Voice clarity is important to me.

Finally, if you were to compare this at 18K to the Samsung Galaxy R at 22.4K (Plus free BT headset, screen guard and some random car pouch), which one would you recommend. For the extra money I get 1GB Ram instead of 512MB, 1650 mAH capacity battery instead of 1500 mAH, a downgraded camera (5MP vs 8MP) - though I am not a MP fiend and a slightly better form factor and larger screen (The larger screen is a negative for me).

If they were both priced the same, I probably would have picked the R since Samsung makes better products in my opinion. But the cost differential plus the lack of mod support for the R (Since its not a very popular model like the Optimus 2X \ SII) as well as the little things (Can't find a case or screen guard for the SII!) makes me wonder if the 2X is a better buy at this point.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
V

Last edited by vcash : 21st November 2011 at 19:49.
Old 21st November 2011, 23:32   #6687
Senior - BHPian

While I am not able to answer your questions on the custom rooms I assume it should not be an issue, but I suppose someone senior could answer it.

Also this phone is my wife's and believe me it's hard to get her stuff but few observations,

1. After GB release the phone feels a lot better and the responsiveness is a lot better, it's been a few weeks since it last crashed, games play flawless, I download comics which at times lagged on the arc but on this they are flawless, YouTube videos also work fine in HD also, and while typing this I asked her what's the best thing you like about your phone and the first thing she said was 'battery'

Don't know about comparison to Samsung as my dumb sense prevents me from being able to you touchscreen phones and stay on blackberry which is why I have little information but a fellow tbhpian (harshal)who I will ask to reply more here says the LG feels better built then the Samsung galaxy he uses.

One negative is the phone is a little heavy and does not have tapered edges which for me feel a lot more comfortable to type on, but my wife is quite ok with it so maybe you will be fine too.

Camera is good do look up my brio thread some pictures are from the phone.

And believe me the sound quality is nice when you are talking have used it and never found it to be an issue.

Believe me get it with its flaws but you will not regret with how future proof it is at its price, not all products will tick all right boxes but this one ticks almost most right boxes.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash

Okay - In my consideration set now. I am getting it for 18K with my 10% off coupon. This makes it very juicy. From what I can read in the reviews, LG's UI makes the phone not feel like a dual core device, plus lots of complaints that it was still on 2.2 and the 1500 mAH battery is nothing to rave about.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
V
Old 22nd November 2011, 12:34   #6688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler
I just came across this Free Navigation app, Navfree. Haven't tried it yet though.

https://market.android.com/details?i...ndroid.OSM.ALL
Right now this app does not do things quite right. Almost always shows that no routes available for your destination. And once it finds a route, keeps on pestering you to take that route only. It did not recalculate another route.

Needs to be worked on a lot.
Old 22nd November 2011, 16:50   #6689
BHPian

Hi all,

I was gifted a SE Xperia Arc S by my wife and I must say it is a wonderful phone, looks good, has great touch response and comes loaded with Android 2.3.4. It has a 1.4ghz processor and feels pretty fast when using the interface.

It has a 4.2" display, has great syncing abilities with FB and push emails with gmail, yahoo mail, Hotmail and MS exchange among others. The best part is that each account can be set up in less than 3 mins. It's that easy.

I have been using this phone since 2 weeks and my only gripe has been the feel of the phone. I have friends who use HTC and LG phones and I must say HTC phones feel the most solid, followed by LG and then SE. Already there is a minor squeak and play in my back panel, which feels a bit irritating and doesn't give that solid feel, which I get when I hold my friend's HTC Evo 3D phone.

Overall I say this is a great phone, not as costly as some other high-end phones yet, offers everything that you can look at in other phones.

Oh yes, forgot, the purchase price has been Rs.25,900 and it was purchased through ebay by my friend through someone in Chennai. Yes, it came with a bill, a 8gb memory card, 2 screen guards, an extremely good quality phone cover, earphones, wires for HDMI port and a small user guide, which is just enough to get started with the phone.

I would want other Xperia Arc users and potential buyers to get in touch with me in case you have any queries related with this phone.

cheers,
Saleem.
saleem_k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 17:00   #6690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Hi all,

I was gifted a SE Xperia Arc S by my wife and I must say it is a wonderful phone, looks good, has great touch response and comes loaded with Android 2.3.4. It has a 1.4ghz processor and feels pretty fast when using the interface.

It has a 4.2" display, has great syncing abilities with FB and push emails with gmail, yahoo mail, Hotmail and MS exchange among others. The best part is that each account can be set up in less than 3 mins. It's that easy.

I have been using this phone since 2 weeks and my only gripe has been the feel of the phone. I have friends who use HTC and LG phones and I must say HTC phones feel the most solid, followed by LG and then SE. Already there is a minor squeak and play in my back panel, which feels a bit irritating and doesn't give that solid feel, which I get when I hold my friend's HTC Evo 3D phone.

Overall I say this is a great phone, not as costly as some other high-end phones yet, offers everything that you can look at in other phones.

Oh yes, forgot, the purchase price has been Rs.25,900 and it was purchased through ebay by my friend through someone in Chennai. Yes, it came with a bill, a 8gb memory card, 2 screen guards, an extremely good quality phone cover, earphones, wires for HDMI port and a small user guide, which is just enough to get started with the phone.

I would want other Xperia Arc users and potential buyers to get in touch with me in case you have any queries related with this phone.

cheers,
Saleem.

Finally an SE!!!
it took so long that my x10 became outdated in the meantime!!

You should check out DX for accessories and such.
Some cases may be able to take care of the squeaks, if it is from the panels.

EDIT:
@Saleem:
DX is dealextreme.com

Last edited by mayankk : 22nd November 2011 at 17:17.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks