Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2011, 10:46   #6751
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Hhhm, the ads of NOTE, where they are drawing some thing on the phone, writing on the phone, etc appeared impressive to me. I am currently using a GT-i9003. NOTE is on my radar.
Like I said, after the initial fad fades... Those features on the Note will be seriously used by less than 1% of the populace going for it. And in the end, its practicality as a 'phone' is yet to be ascertained and certainly doubtful.
Old 29th November 2011, 12:16   #6752
Senior - BHPian

Samsung has announced that they would be upgrading the S2 to ICS. God knows when that will happen. Anyways, what is the latest version available for S2? I am still on 2.3.3 XWKF3 as of now.
Old 29th November 2011, 12:30   #6753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Like I said, after the initial fad fades... Those features on the Note will be seriously used by less than 1% of the populace going for it. And in the end, its practicality as a 'phone' is yet to be ascertained and certainly doubtful.
Apart from the features that would rarely be used, don't you still think it's worth the money? Like, you get a bigger screen, a better battery backup, processor and resolution too. Even the price difference isn't much between Note and SGS2. What are your thoughts on this?
Old 29th November 2011, 12:38   #6754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Apart from the features that would rarely be used, don't you still think it's worth the money? Like, you get a bigger screen, a better battery backup, processor and resolution too. Even the price difference isn't much between Note and SGS2. What are your thoughts on this?
It depends mainly on your usage pattern, but speaking from my experience, I will not be comfortable primarily with the 'size' of the 'phone'. If using as a phone is not a primary requirement then better options exist in the tablet market. Galaxy Note, as it is borders, on the Tablet form and functionality more than as a phone.

Bigger Screen=Bigger Size=uncomfortable to handle (for me)
Battery difference = negligible
Rest of the things are also very similar in real world performance.

I would rather go in for the upcoming 'Galaxy Nexus' rather than the Note (which I will be doing so shortly), if phone is the primary requirement.

Last edited by dkaile : 29th November 2011 at 12:42.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 13:33   #6755
BHPian

Fantastic machine, have been using it since couple of days. Very addictive, fabulous browsing experience, great for reading e books,watching videos etc..I am not bothered so much by size.. since it is pretty thin can be held comfortably while speaking and in my opinion does not look that odd..
Ross is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 13:49   #6756
BHPian

Quote:
It depends mainly on your usage pattern, but speaking from my experience, I will not be comfortable primarily with the 'size' of the 'phone'. If using as a phone is not a primary requirement then better options exist in the tablet market. Galaxy Note, as it is borders, on the Tablet form and functionality more than as a phone.

Bigger Screen=Bigger Size=uncomfortable to handle (for me)
Battery difference = negligible
Rest of the things are also very similar in real world performance.

I would rather go in for the upcoming 'Galaxy Nexus' rather than the Note (which I will be doing so shortly), if phone is the primary requirement.
I've heard that the Galaxy Nexus will be priced around 40k. If that's true, then unfortunately, it is out of my budget. Any idea if Samsung is launching SGS2 LTE in India and the approx price for the same?
Old 29th November 2011, 14:04   #6757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've heard that the Galaxy Nexus will be priced around 40k. If that's true, then unfortunately, it is out of my budget. Any idea if Samsung is launching SGS2 LTE in India and the approx price for the same?
You need to know how to get true value from this ever changing smart-phone juggernaut. I am already using the 4G version on cdma of S2 here in India (imported from the US at a cost of just 22K). However LTE version is pretty much 'useless' in India for at least 2 more years, so no use fretting over it.
Old 29th November 2011, 14:06   #6758
BHPian

Quote:
You need to know how to get true value from this ever changing smart-phone juggernaut. I am already using the 4G version on cdma of S2 here in India (imported from the US at a cost of just 22K). However LTE version is pretty much 'useless' in India for at least 2 more years, so no use fretting over it.
Can you give a link or site if possible from where you imported it? Did you bring it down with your relatives or they shipped it at a price?
Old 29th November 2011, 14:14   #6759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you give a link or site if possible from where you imported it? Did you bring it down with your relatives or they shipped it at a price?
I had already given the link a few pages back. Here's my review of the cdma S2 once again - Review: Sprint Samsung Galaxy SII - Epic 4G Touch - The Mammoth - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums . Lots of guys on that forum importing cdma phones from the US and selling. Details can be exchanged through PM.
Old 29th November 2011, 16:57   #6760
BHPian

My boss got a Galaxy note in office today. Infact he was buying a Galaxy S for close to 22k in pune. Then changed to S2 and finally ordered note when he got a deal from Sulekha deals @ Rs 28,450/-. (S2 was also in similar range) But he had to shell octroi in Pune. Man does the phone look good. It is not really too big that it cannot be pocketed. The ultra thin form factor makes it very light as well. he received the flip case also from Samsung. Flip makes the phone a little heavy but still manageable. Successfully completed his first video call on BSNL 3G.

It is very useful for people who enjoy browsing and prefer to not to use laptop unless to heavy a workload. Nexus S with 4" screen itself is very friendly to use. but this one with 5"+ screen has acres of space. An Ideal replacement for heavy users of phone & laptop/tablet. No need to carry 2 things.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 17:24   #6761
BHPian

Hey guys,
Just a FYI: I went with the Optimus 2X. At 18k it was just too hard to pass up despite the bugs and LG ui. Will upgrade to 2.3 right of the box and post some impressions.

Also, does casemate or molife make any cases for the 2x and do you know where I can order them online. I bought an Amzer one but it looks quite bulky.

Thanks,
V
Old 29th November 2011, 17:44   #6762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Also, does casemate or molife make any cases for the 2x and do you know where I can order them online. I bought an Amzer one but it looks quite bulky.
Be careful of ordering something like that online. I have burnt my fingers twice - because defy has very little stuff made only for it, and most e-tailers sell stuff that "is approx of the similar dimensions".

i.e you pay for stuff which fits like paresh raval's clothes in hera pheri.

optimus 2x is a nice phone but again hasnt set markets on fire like SGS or SGS2 that you will get accessories made for it! Buy from your neighborhood store wonlee saar.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 18:15   #6763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Hey guys,
Just a FYI: I went with the Optimus 2X. At 18k it was just too hard to pass up despite the bugs and LG ui. Will upgrade to 2.3 right of the box and post some impressions.

Thanks,
V
have you tried DX?
All my phones got their cases from over there.
perfect fit.
Old 30th November 2011, 17:06   #6764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Its like this:
- CM7 for rock solid stability. The Oct 11 official download is lovely for battery life. Do remember to use the "Defy baseband switcher" and switch to Singapore/Indonesia/India baseband
- MIUI for eye candy but lesser battery
- WajkIUI for BOTH eye candy and lovely battery - BUT - atleast in my phone there are issues with the proximity sensor. Its not at all predictable unlike with the stock froyo - so I need to wave in front of the sensor 3-4 times before the screen comes back on. This issue is intermittent and I'm not done diagnosing it yet. But the problem remains with the Indian, Nordic or the UK Froyo - so as much as I love this ROM, I must warn you lest your phone have a similar issue.
Thanks for that & Yeah, I am also getting such issues with proximity sensor with current Indian Froyo. So I need to press the lock/power key to bring back the screen . So i guess its better to try WajkIUI rom before experiencing any real ICS stuff.
(BTW there was a successful test of ICS with proper colors & sound on Defy. but no signal, no orientation & some FC issues. But Hardware acceleration works )

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Both MIUI/WajkIUI offer a call recorder, in case that's of use to anyone - it really is useful when talking to credit card helplines
Yeah. Its the best thing when dealing with any customer care calls. I do miss that in current FROYO.

Have a nice week.
Old 30th November 2011, 17:37   #6765
Senior - BHPian

Motorola Defy

WAJKIUI rocks..4 days and average 12 hours battery life with 1 hr wifi, 6 hrs BT connected to car and a superb theme choice.

No complaints as of now..prox sensor seems to work fine!!
headers is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks