Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2011, 09:16   #6736
Senior - BHPian

Galaxy S i9000 users.... Here's a very easy way to update to Gingerbread 2.3.5. It does not require any root access or it is not a custom ROM either. After updating to 2.3.5 from 2.3.3 there's significant improvement in performance and the interface is more snappy now. Here's a screenshot of what's running under the hood of my fone ;-)
Name:  ForumRunner_20111128_091552.png
Views: 552
Size:  50.5 KB

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 28th November 2011 at 09:17.
Old 28th November 2011, 11:47   #6737
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Chill then - just root, install setvsel and see your phone fly. Else u can just chill with the OEM stuff only.

But that said, you should always be patient, post the symptoms/video on internet forums and give people time to help you. Rushing next day to service center before you've exhausted the internet is never a good idea. Motorola defy is one of the most modded phones for a reason. Its almost impossible to brick it - you got it back in so many days simply because even the morons in *** could not have found anything wrong (they should come on XDA and learn!) and therefore the possible reticence/delay in changing things. did u check waterproofing while taking it back from them?
@phamilyman: Thanks for the response. I am ready to do it again for sure. I am not at all happy with Froyo. I will be troubling you in near future. Will send you a PM

Yes, I checked the waterproofing too, all seems well except the performance!! Somehow, I feel my phone has slowed down after the mother board replacement. . .
Old 28th November 2011, 12:46   #6738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
@phamilyman: Thanks for the response. I am ready to do it again for sure. I am not at all happy with Froyo. I will be troubling you in near future. Will send you a PM

Yes, I checked the waterproofing too, all seems well except the performance!! Somehow, I feel my phone has slowed down after the mother board replacement. . .
Have you done the root, setvsel including the vm.min_free_kbytes option checked? Do that first.
Old 28th November 2011, 13:13   #6739
BHPian

On my Wifey's suggestion, visited a Samsung Cafe to feel the new Galaxy Note. Woah!! the display and speed was very impressive; the size didnt intrigue me, was pocketable. Infact I was at ease holding the Note in one hand, though ops cannot be one-handed for sure.

Samsung Cafe claims that Galaxy Note is flying off the shelves, and that a lot of S2 users have come for upgrading to Note.

I am waiting for TBhp reviews.
Old 28th November 2011, 16:17   #6740
Senior - BHPian

If they are saying that - it is pretty much crap.

We have a Dell Streak owner in the office who is pretty much the butt of all large-mobile jokes. The Note is almost the same form factor - there is only one word for it - Ginormous!!

S2 IMNSHO is pretty much the borderline - any bigger and it'd be the 'too large its not fun to live with' phone.
Old 28th November 2011, 16:34   #6741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Clever dude, where can I download the keyboard from?
https://market.android.com/details?i...tinputv5&hl=en
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 16:56   #6742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
S2 IMNSHO is pretty much the borderline - any bigger and it'd be the 'too large its not fun to live with' phone.
Agreed completely. The perfect size, I feel, is no larger than a 4" screen like the Samsung Google Nexus-S with a AMOLED screen. It fits best in a conventional hand and easier to use and handle. S2, I feel as a user, is a tad bigger than comfortable, and God save the the Note users after the initial fad has worn off...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 18:37   #6743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
S2 IMNSHO is pretty much the borderline - any bigger and it'd be the 'too large its not fun to live with' phone
Depends on the usage as such. I feel the samsung on screen key pad too crunched for space that its difficult to type bigger mails or even text messages.

For large hands i feel the Note makes more sense than S2. But nothing wrong in owning both

The dell streak is too heavy while the note is slightly heavier than S2 yet not a brick and if they can release some ROM like Checkrom Revolution or even the CM7 i would be getting a note for its size.

Hate to carry a ipad which i feel is huge while the note can still fit in my pocket and does the job of two(tablet and a phone)
Old 28th November 2011, 19:54   #6744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The dell streak is too heavy while the note is slightly heavier than S2 yet not a brick and if they can release some ROM like Checkrom Revolution or even the CM7 i would be getting a note for its size.
I would be glad to see you follow through

Roughly, the S2 is 110g, the Note is 179g, the Streak is 220g.

Do yourself a favor and borrow a streak for a week. You'll thank me later.

If nothing else, you'll be ready for the large mobile jokes later !!
Old 29th November 2011, 05:59   #6745
BHPian

Hi. Anyone tried ICS miui yet on their phones? How is the stability & cpu response? Does it overheats or something?

Anyone with Defy: what type of keyboard are you using for messaging?
The stock one does not have a next line key, which is very uncomfortable to write some official sms. Any good alternative supporting swype?
Old 29th November 2011, 06:26   #6746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Agreed completely. The perfect size, I feel, is no larger than a 4" screen like the Samsung Google Nexus-S with a AMOLED screen. It fits best in a conventional hand and easier to use and handle. S2, I feel as a user, is a tad bigger than comfortable, and God save the the Note users after the initial fad has worn off...
Hhhm, the ads of NOTE, where they are drawing some thing on the phone, writing on the phone, etc appeared impressive to me. I am currently using a GT-i9003. NOTE is on my radar.
Old 29th November 2011, 07:17   #6747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Hi. Anyone tried ICS miui yet on their phones? How is the stability & cpu response? Does it overheats or something?

Anyone with Defy: what type of keyboard are you using for messaging?
The stock one does not have a next line key, which is very uncomfortable to write some official sms. Any good alternative supporting swype?
Yaar, the ICS is the framework only. Under the hood is GB only - which is really stable. CPU is fast & consumes less battery (standard over/underclock setting)

The CM7/MIUI comes with the stock android kbd, there's talkback (which sucks). I liked swiftkeyX (its paid but on discount). our man CM has recommended https://market.android.com/details?i...tinputv5&hl=en

MS2ginger comes with a keyboard which has been the best in my experience by far - BUT - installing it means downgrading to Indian Froyo is a 2 hour process, so ymmv. Its got enough small problems by itself.

Of course, I would gladly even pay 5$ for the iPhone keyboard but no one has that on android yet - its got the best error free typing experience I've had yet.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 08:06   #6748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman

Yaar, the ICS is the framework only. Under the hood is GB only - which is really stable. CPU is fast & consumes less battery (standard over/underclock setting)
Thanks for the relply. So iam now more confused for what to try now. CM7.1 or some miui based rom? My priorities is stability in terms cpu usage... No overheating or random hangs. So I guess will try wajkui rom aswell based on your earlier replies.
Old 29th November 2011, 09:44   #6749
BHPian

Those who want to buy dual core / SII phones - Pl. wait for a few days as the SII price is expected to come down to 23-24k level from the current 30k in the coming days since samsung would be launching a newer model.
Old 29th November 2011, 10:05   #6750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Thanks for the relply. So iam now more confused for what to try now. CM7.1 or some miui based rom? My priorities is stability in terms cpu usage... No overheating or random hangs. So I guess will try wajkui rom aswell based on your earlier replies.
Its like this:
- CM7 for rock solid stability. The Oct 11 official download is lovely for battery life. Do remember to use the "Defy baseband switcher" and switch to Singapore/Indonesia/India baseband
- MIUI for eye candy but lesser battery
- WajkIUI for BOTH eye candy and lovely battery - BUT - atleast in my phone there are issues with the proximity sensor. Its not at all predictable unlike with the stock froyo - so I need to wave in front of the sensor 3-4 times before the screen comes back on. This issue is intermittent and I'm not done diagnosing it yet. But the problem remains with the Indian, Nordic or the UK Froyo - so as much as I love this ROM, I must warn you lest your phone have a similar issue.

Both MIUI/WajkIUI offer a call recorder, in case that's of use to anyone - it really is useful when talking to credit card helplines

PS: Google seems intent on putting Titanium Backup out of business. This morning when I reinstalled CM7-1.11 (unofficial stable branch) and was driving to office, in the interim, it reinstalled ALL my market apps while I was driving. Impressive. I just had to restore SMS/calls!

Last edited by phamilyman : 29th November 2011 at 10:11.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed