Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2011, 11:30   #6556
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I am sorry, but I will need to disagree with you on that one. Samsung hardware is the best in world as on date and in fact inside most of the brands that you have mentioned including HTC and err.. Sony!! (a lost case imho). It is much better than Motorola too in almost all aspects. And that has made Samsung the no. 1 smartphone manufacturer in the world as on date. Google's partnership with Samsung on almost all of its cutting edge phones (like the upcoming Galaxy Nexus) is proof enough of its superiority over Motorola (which now Google owns) and others in this regards.

Only Iphone can match (and even better) Samsung, and that too only in some aspects of hardware design. Where Samsung lags a little is perhaps on the software front in which HTC leads the pack with its Sense interface. Still even in that its much better than Motorola et al...
Motorola is just behind in the Indian market, have u seen the Droid RAZR?

The New DROID RAZR - Android Smartphone - Ultra-Thin - KEVLAR Strong - Overview - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

that blows anything that Samsung has out of the water .
Old 11th November 2011, 11:45   #6557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
have u seen the Droid RAZR?
Lolz... One should never stick to one brand. Go for the best at that moment of time. That's the whole pleasure of Android.

For all the droid lovers -

Last edited by dkaile : 11th November 2011 at 11:50.
Old 11th November 2011, 11:52   #6558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Lolz... One should never stick to one brand. Go for the best at that moment of time. That's the whole pleasure of Android.
For all the droid lovers -

i love that commercial . Now surely even you can admit the Droid RAZR is prolly teh prettiest phone on the market now .

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th November 2011 at 14:46. Reason: Just paste a youtube link, no need to add any tags. Thanks.
Old 11th November 2011, 12:30   #6559
BHPian

Ok Guys. What can I get under 15K. I am already using a Galaxy SL.

Need something with GB 2.3, a good camera, options in custom roms (SL does not have that one).
Old 11th November 2011, 14:09   #6560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Ok Guys. What can I get under 15K. I am already using a Galaxy SL.

Need something with GB 2.3, a good camera, options in custom roms (SL does not have that one).
The SL just got OFFICIAL gingerbread.has CM7 and MIUI ports and is one of the first phones to get an ICS sdk port.do you really want to downgrade?
Old 11th November 2011, 14:12   #6561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
The SL just got OFFICIAL gingerbread.has CM7 and MIUI ports and is one of the first phones to get an ICS sdk port.do you really want to downgrade?
I am already using GB for past few months now.

And can you please enlighten me what rest all means ?
Old 11th November 2011, 15:44   #6562
BHPian

I have HTC Inspire 4G and I am facing this weird issue in playing video files using default HTC Player.
I have downloaded few MP4 files, some of these files play just fine and some of them don't.
I downloaded few players from market and they all recognize all the files including ones which are not recognized by HTC Default Player but when I play them, I get broken pixels, sluggish video quality etc.

Any idea why am I facing this issue with default player?

PS - I had earlier Nokia Smart Phone and it had a feature which converts all the video files to wma format and then plays them just fine. I wish my HTC had a feature like this.
Old 11th November 2011, 15:52   #6563
BHPian

Yes! I did it! I bricked my Defy.

With my limited knowledge of intricacies of flashing/rooting etc. I did manage to flash CM7.1. After using it for a day, I decided to go back to stock Froyo as I faced issues with email/wi-fi/gps etc. (may be I did not follow the steps correctly??)

1. The major mistake I did was to store the backup on SD card and in the process of flashing, formatted it by mistake!!
2. As the image of my old OS was erased, I had to download the firmware
2. With the help of RSD 4, I tried to install chinese version of Froyo. Though the installation was 100%, the phone didn't boot beyond "android" logo :(

That's when I had to take it to an authorized motorola service center. Luckily, they agreed to cover it under warranty . It's been more than 8 days since I left my phone with them. They say the phone's board has a problem and they do not have stock!

So, a word of caution to Ginger Bread upgrade aspirants, if you are not comfortable with technicalities of flashing/rooting etc. "like me", do not even attempt it!! Overload of varied information on the internet (different forums) definitely will confuse you. . .
Old 11th November 2011, 16:17   #6564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
i love that commercial . Now surely even you can admit the Droid RAZR is prolly teh prettiest phone on the market now .
Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. The things that I find beautiful are somewhat more than just skin deep... lolz
Old 11th November 2011, 16:44   #6565
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
That's when I had to take it to an authorized motorola service center. Luckily, they agreed to cover it under warranty . It's been more than 8 days since I left my phone with them. They say the phone's board has a problem and they do not have stock!
Poor guys they think its a hardware problem and replacing the motherboard, but do check if it will retain its water proofing once its opened up for parts replacement.
Old 11th November 2011, 17:16   #6566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So, a word of caution to Ginger Bread upgrade aspirants, if you are not comfortable with technicalities of flashing/rooting etc. "like me", do not even attempt it!! Overload of varied information on the internet (different forums) definitely will confuse you. . .
Sorry to hear about that.
Don't know what went wrong in your case, but I am planning to upgrade my completely stock Defy with 2.2.2 to 2.3.

I have a green lens so I guess official 2.3 will not work in my case, right?

I have faced several stability issues with 2.2.2 and I don't see 2.3 faring worse that that. Plus with Sygic (maps), the performance is bad - sometimes the phone takes several minutes to get back in control.

I am trying to trace the simplest set of instructions to do the upgrade.
I first want to backup everything that I have on the phone and card.
I assume I should root first and then do the backup, right?
Old 11th November 2011, 19:36   #6567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N

I am trying to trace the simplest set of instructions to do the upgrade.
I first want to backup everything that I have on the phone and card.
I assume I should root first and then do the backup, right?
Back up should be the mantra. Get the nandroid backup done immediately after you have a custom recovery.
Old 11th November 2011, 21:22   #6568
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Guys need some help here. I have a Sony ericsson Xperia x10i, running on android 2.2.
I suggest you should consider using a custom ROM. You have been using for real long time, so I guess there is no critical issues - PITAs, yes; but not real show stoppers.

Quote:

(snip)

Though the installation was 100%, the phone didn't boot beyond "android" logo :(
I have not used Moto phones, but I guess at this stage, (if some kind of logo comes up), you can still try some other ROM / recovery image to salvage the phone. I suspect taking to the service center was your mistake #2.
Old 12th November 2011, 03:17   #6569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall
Yes! I did it! I bricked my Defy..... .
My guess is that your phone was not bricked at all. If you can get into recovery, the phone is not bricked. In fact, if the phone even responds to adb from the computer, it is not bricked.
Old 12th November 2011, 11:18   #6570
BHPian

Quote:

With my limited knowledge of intricacies of flashing/rooting etc. I did manage to flash CM7.1. After using it for a day, I decided to go back to stock Froyo as I faced issues with email/wi-fi/gps etc. (may be I did not follow the steps correctly??)

1. The major mistake I did was to store the backup on SD card and in the process of flashing, formatted it by mistake!!
2. As the image of my old OS was erased, I had to download the firmware
2. With the help of RSD 4, I tried to install chinese version of Froyo. Though the installation was 100%, the phone didn't boot beyond "android" logo :(

Word of caution to every Android tinker out there.

NEVER downgrade.if you've flashed 2.3 NEVER try to go back to to 2.2.as gingerbread changes the bootloader and when you downgrade all you get is a brick

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks