Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2011, 21:53   #6511
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hello guys,
Was confused between HTC Desire S & Incredible S. Would like to know mainly wrt the battery backup of these phones.. Which one of these has a better battery backup?
Old 8th November 2011, 14:39   #6512
BHPian

Don't know if this has been posted earlier, but here is the list of the ICS Upgradable Phones:

Android Ice Cream Sandwich Update List: HTC Phones, Samsung Galaxy S II in 2012 - International Business Times
Old 8th November 2011, 14:41   #6513

Motorola Defy Plus is out in India at Rs 17,990 >> Flipkart.com: Motorola Defy Plus: Mobile

You are getting Android 2.3, 1 Ghz Processor and bigger battery at 1700 mAh compared to old Defy. For these, you will be paying approx. Rs 3,200 more than the prevailing defy price in the market. Rest of the specs are similar.

rajanmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 15:34   #6514
BHPian

Finally got onto the Android bandwagon as my phone of 5 years and 7 months finally gave up. Ordered an S2 on Flipkart and am awaiting the delivery. Hopefully, I can get my hands on it by tomorrow. I was getting it for around 1K less on Letsbuy but bought it on Flipkart hoping that they would deliver it faster, but seems like Letsbuy would have been faster.
Old 8th November 2011, 15:46   #6515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Finally got onto the Android bandwagon as my phone of 5 years and 7 months finally gave up. Ordered an S2 on Flipkart and am awaiting the delivery. Hopefully, I can get my hands on it by tomorrow. I was getting it for around 1K less on Letsbuy but bought it on Flipkart hoping that they would deliver it faster, but seems like Letsbuy would have been faster.
Congratulations. So whats the final deal you got?

I know its very difficult to wait as I am also waiting for my S2 (White color) , which my friend is expected to bring for me from Singapore.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 8th November 2011, 15:52   #6516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Congratulations. So whats the final deal you got?

I know its very difficult to wait as I am also waiting for my S2 (White color) , which my friend is expected to bring for me from Singapore.

Cheers!
Irish
Thanks. I bought it for 28.5K on Flipkart. With the coupon ILUVLETSBUYEM on Letsbuy, I could have got it for 27.5K . There was a better offer during Diwali but I waited till now to place an order and am not getting any freebies with the phone, but I can't wait for it to be delivered .

I seriously considered importing the Sony Xperia Arc S from outside the country, but I wanted something that would hold well for a few years atleast and the Arc ( although it is easily the best looking phone in the market ) seems outdated already, so gave up that idea. Sony Ericsson is crazy to be charging around 25K for an old phone like the Arc ( they haven't yet launched the Arc S which has a little bit faster processor in India yet ).

Last edited by Newpunter : 8th November 2011 at 15:54.
Old 8th November 2011, 16:19   #6517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanmehta View Post
Motorola Defy Plus is out in India at Rs 17,990 >> Flipkart.com: Motorola Defy Plus: Mobile

You are getting Android 2.3, 1 Ghz Processor and bigger battery at 1700 mAh compared to old Defy. For these, you will be paying approx. Rs 3,200 more than the prevailing defy price in the market. Rest of the specs are similar.
They need to cut down prices by another 1.5k to make things rational and emulate defy sales. Its at par with Galaxy SL, which has a bigger screen (though lower res/pixel density) with which people will compare.

Ruggedness is a hygiene factor, not a deal maker for most.

Hope they wake up asap!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th November 2011 at 17:28. Reason: Please DO NOT quote large text, videos and pictures as it inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 18:05   #6518
Senior - BHPian

@18K as Phamilyman said there are quite a few options to pick from Samsung or even the N8 which in my personal opinion is a kickass phone with very able camera and body consturction.

I guess Samsung is seeing apple as competetion while Motorola is seeing Nokia as competetion. Hence the phones from Motorola always appears a generation older than samsung, htc or apple.
Old 9th November 2011, 05:02   #6519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I guess Samsung is seeing apple as competetion while Motorola is seeing Nokia as competetion. Hence the phones from Motorola always appears a generation older than samsung, htc or apple.
I think you're quite wrong in your assumption here - its a terribly broad motherhood statement to make.

The Defy+ is a peculiar case in point because these fools just updated the older phone - and they have committed the cardinal mistake of not including the front camera (which its direct competitor the galaxy SL includes). Plus all things being equal - in India people will prefer a bigger screen and the Samsung brand - and not because of its looks.

And it looks quite nice in and of itself - the only companies (whose phones i've seen in India) that truly design good looking phones is HTC and Sony. Samsung for all the hardware brilliance are ALWAYS behind the HTC & Sony phones. Look at the Desire S vs the Galaxy S, or the Sensation vs the Galaxy S II. or even wildfire S vs Ace and suchlike.

And again, wrong presumption about Nokia. Their hardware is different and looks good in and of itself (that it doesn't confine to your notion of latest is not relevant!) - look at the N9 or even the N8 - sleek original thought in design! Engadget said regarding the N9 (which was a stillborn product!!):
Quote:
Love at first sight -- this is possibly the most beautiful phone ever made. ... but the N9 is in a class of its own in terms of design. You've never seen anything like it, and if you think it's attractive in pictures, wait until you see it in person -- it's completely and utterly irresistible. It manages to be elegant by virtue of its minimalism yet remains unmistakably Nokia
for what its worth, your implicit bias against Motorola and implicit love for Samsung makes what you wrote misleading and borderline-fanboi-ish.

Here is what PCWorld says about the Droid Razr, Motorola's new flagship phone: Motorola Droid Razr: Reviewers Love Design, Hate Battery Life | PCWorld though they seem to have mucked up the battery life and the screen on that one!!

So please get your facts right before any such fanboy post next time!

PS: I respect Samsung for their awesome cutting edge hardware integration (as with the Galaxy S phones) but cutting edge design they are not. Sorry. Here's what engadget said on the HTC sensation for eg: http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/27/h...sation-review/ - All these design similarities are hardly coincidental, HTC sees that arrangement and styling as a winning combination and we have to agree.

Last edited by phamilyman : 9th November 2011 at 05:19.
Old 9th November 2011, 08:24   #6520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Once you have installed CM7.1, you can install a small app from market called "S2E".

Before that, you might want to create an ext3/4 partition in your SD card. Take the help of Clockworkmod recovery to do that.
Thanks for all the help clevermax and phamilyman. I didn't have enough time to do all this and had to send the phone to my bro with stock firmware. Hopefully that will keep him happy for sometime till I get chance to flash it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
PS: I respect Samsung for their awesome cutting edge hardware integration (as with the Galaxy S phones) but cutting edge design they are not. Sorry.
Agree with you. Wave is probably the only phone from Samsung which can win some design awards.

Last edited by Gandhi : 9th November 2011 at 08:26.
Old 9th November 2011, 09:04   #6521
Senior - BHPian

Anyone using K9 mail client? It's one of the best out there but it is hitting me with battery drain again.

Name:  ForumRunner_20111109_090245.png
Views: 479
Size:  65.5 KB

It is not always like this but drain is much higher during some nights. :(
Old 9th November 2011, 12:33   #6522
BHPian

Gingerbread 2.3.5 is out officially for i9003. Updated it via KIES. hoping for a battery life boost
Old 9th November 2011, 14:57   #6523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
The Phone does heat up a little on 3g while downloading stuff and multitasking at the same time,But its nothing to be concerned of. No issues with the Wifi (yet). I download/ update my apps etc most of the time on my home wifi network.

The Keyboard in portrait is pretty usable, The auto correct works like a charm, but i use swipe most of the time to message. people with large thumbs would have a little difficulty in typing on this phone.
But nevertheless the phone does every thing thrown at it without too much of fuss.
Vinay,

I have been looking at the Neo V for a month now, to replace my 2 yr old HTC TD2. Infact I am planning to buy a couple of them, and would appreciate if You could pour more updates/ review on the mobile.

Especially on performance, battery-life, GPS and touch-impressions. I know You have written already on them, but want to know if You have anything more to add.

+Rocky+
Old 9th November 2011, 16:33   #6524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher View Post
Gingerbread 2.3.5 is out officially for i9003. Updated it via KIES. hoping for a battery life boost
Apart from Battery life also mention the other changes that you will observe with respect to speed and UI.
Old 9th November 2011, 17:49   #6525
BHPian

New Sony Erricson Xperia Play for Reliance CDMA Android 2.3 5MP 8GB Card | eBay

Good deal?now that we have number portability?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks