Old 29th February 2012, 21:15   #8011
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Miren browser? you only recommended?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I am using Checkrom now and used Rocket ROM before apart from different stock ROMs for SGN, I always found Dolphin HD to be best.

If you are on ICS you could try Chrome. But I still wonder why Dolphin is laggy, why not try making it a system app using app like T backup pro and see if that helps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Done. Please send me the apk file
Finally got the answer - Which is the slickest smoothest browser?

It is Opera Mobile for me now.

Had used it long time back, and uninstalled due to some issues which I don't even remember now. This browser is really fast and smooth now. Also, just enable Turbo mode if you're in Wi-Fi or unlimited 3G.

After a 30 minutes testing, uninstalled Dolphin and made this as my default browser. You have a mouse pointer in this which can me moved using the Trackball, and it can perform some operations which other browsers cannot - for example, selecting a sub-project drop dropdown in Rally. If any of you are working in agile teams, you will most probably know Rally. This site's mobile usage was very much limited for me due to this limitation which Opera got rid off in style! Overall usability also has improved a lot now.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20120229_211929.jpg
This selection was not possible in any of the Android browsers that I had used. You can see the mouse cursor which enabled this usage in Opera.

Last edited by clevermax : 29th February 2012 at 21:25.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 00:49   #8012
BHPian

Hi. There is one ICS build shaping up on xda with working camera for red lens Defy. With this only HWA will remain to be fully functional. Though it is the main thing of ICS..
I will wait til there is a proper fully functional ICS build.
Old 1st March 2012, 10:38   #8013
Senior - BHPian

They call it Superphone, not Smartphone..

HTC One X
Quad Core @1.5Ghz, GeForce GPU! [My laptop has only 2 cores :( ]
Super IPS LCD2 Display with 720 x 1280 pixels, 4.7 inches
Camera with 8 MP, 3264x2448 pixels, LED flash
32Gigs memory, 1GB RAM
Android 4.0 - ICS with Sense
And all other usual stuff excluding FM radio and sd card slot!

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-htconex1.jpg
By design it looks sturdy, but I think their designs are not very much evolving lately.

Last edited by clevermax : 1st March 2012 at 10:51.
Old 1st March 2012, 11:46   #8014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
They call it Superphone, not Smartphone..

HTC One X
And all other usual stuff excluding FM radio and sd card slot!

By design it looks sturdy, but I think their designs are not very much evolving lately.
Not having FM radio is not that bad. This is the age of Internet radio and you have thousands of stations to listen to. Most of the world has switched to 3g so its not an issue for most people.

SD slot also is not that big a handicap as you are getting 32GB onboard + 25 GB cloud storage (again something not an issue if you have 3G/wifi) and and additional 25 GB for 2 years free. Thats a lot of storage. Future is cloud, not cards!

What this phone lacks is an option to run raw ICS uncustomized (so that when Google release their updates/bugfixes they are available instantly and not after 6 months). I wish all manufacturers had an official "Google phone"!!!
Old 1st March 2012, 12:48   #8015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The process i followed was very simple.

-

Hope this helps.

The battery life is very good. I get 1.5 days with lots of wifi, 24hrs data etc. Previously i would say around 1 day. Half a day improvement.

But the UI improvement is very evident in this rom.
I finally took the plunge and installed the ICS MIDNOTE. I must say I am mighty impressed with the ICS' sleekness. Thanks for the encouragement

Any idea why the CPU is now downclocked to 1200 Megs? Even the CPU clocking sofwares are not working and the phones does not go into deep sleep mode :(

Except for the above and few FCs and fewer deaths, the phone seems stable now.
Old 1st March 2012, 18:30   #8016
BHPian

So Samsung is supposed to release ICS today for galaxy devices and I was eagerly waiting for it too. I checked to see if any updates are available for my phone or not. The phond showed that it has one update. Unfortunately it was not ICS. It just said that a new firmware is available which is more stable. The total update was for 49.86 MB. After I restarted the phone a message popped up saying the firmware is updated to I9100GXWLA1. Uptil now I have noticed very minor changes. Phone icon on home screen has changed a bit. While typing on the phone in landscape mode when you type on a letter the thumbnail comes up in blue which was white earlier. Other than that I have not felt any other change.
Old 1st March 2012, 19:56   #8017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even the CPU clocking sofwares are not working and the phones does not go into deep sleep mode :(

Except for the above and few FCs and fewer deaths, the phone seems stable now.
The chinese ROM came as underclocked one. So far we havent seen a ROM at 1.4 or higher. Lets wait till the office release comes out and custom roms roll.

I have not had any FC at all. I installed the add ons and i am using some slick GO launcher based applications.

I am liking the Nova launcher better than most i have used so far.

Do have some SOD's once everyday. But can live with it when i get something similar to Litening rom with blue theme.
Old 1st March 2012, 21:00   #8018
Senior - BHPian

So the ICS rom is now better for Defy - everything works nicely, including the camera, but the launcher - Trebuchet does slow down every now and then. But apps run just fine.

Almost usable for the average user. if you like bleeding edge stuff, then its good to go.

I can't wait for WajkIUI ICS to release - that will be awesome! Even donated him a few bucks - nothing like encouraging some awesome work!!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 21:16   #8019
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,help me out.I use Samsung Galaxy SII and want to upgrade the firmware but this stupid Kies software just wont let me finish it.I've tried not less than 10 times but it always fails.Is there any way where i can use some other software to upgrade the firmware?
Old 1st March 2012, 21:30   #8020
Senior - BHPian

Read up on ODIN, check out samsfirmware.com (IIRC) and you should be able to do it without any sweat!
Old 1st March 2012, 22:41   #8021
Senior - BHPian

Whenever I try to update/install any app after the download from market succeeds I get an error which reads as "Package file is not valid" or something on similar lines! Huh

What might be the issue?
Old 1st March 2012, 23:12   #8022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class
Whenever I try to update/install any app after the download from market succeeds I get an error which reads as "Package file is not valid" or something on similar lines! Huh

What might be the issue?
Usually you get that for cracked apps, since the signing will be different...which app?
Old 1st March 2012, 23:24   #8023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax

Usually you get that for cracked apps, since the signing will be different...which app?
I get the error for every app. Say, Facebook official app, Quadrant Standard etc. I'm not even able to download free apps. Sigh

Let me clear the data of Market from settings and see if it helps or not.
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:34   #8024
BHPian

I realized yesterday that developers have done a really good job with ICS for Lg optimus p500. I was having doubts because of the hardware specs. I am using the Beta 4 version. Everything is working except for the preview in Camera and phone heating a little more. No Lag.

there are 2 versions on XDA. On codenamed android, I faced the issue of not having keyboard. Will run for a few days to correctly estimate the improvement. As of now it looks promising as everyday ROM
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:48   #8025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Guys,help me out.I use Samsung Galaxy SII and want to upgrade the firmware but this stupid Kies software just wont let me finish it.I've tried not less than 10 times but it always fails.Is there any way where i can use some other software to upgrade the firmware?
I also faced the same problem, but AbhiJ in here gave me a better option. Download the upgrade tar file for your phone and install it using ODIN. You can read more about it in here:
[ROM+Guide]Official i9100 Firmwares K/G/H/I/J/KK1/2/5/KL1/2/3/LA2,4/LB2 Download - xda-developers

Be sure to download the right firmware for your phone.

Most Viewed