Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2012, 14:37   #7261
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Hi guys. Lookin for some help in choosing the right android.

What do I need:
1. Exchange sync should be easy.
2. Screen input should be precise (I currently use iPhone 3GS which is good. ) and smooth.
3. would like to have auto brightness.
4. Don't care about camera or sound.
5. Would like to have proximity sensor so the screen would switch off when calling.

Budget: around 15k stretchable to 20.
Also should I be looking for gingerbread or should I be looking at icecream compatibility. ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Here are some suggestions

1) Moto Defy Plus - 17.5K (Gingerbread, ICS not announced)
2) Samsung Galaxy R - 19.9K (Gingerbread, ICS probable)
3) SE Xperia Neo - 16K (Gingerbread, ICS annouced)
4) LG Optimus 2X - 19-20K (Gingerbread, ICS probable)

I have personally used Defy and Neo. Both have good screen response. Am using Exchange Sync on both.
Old 7th January 2012, 19:02   #7262
BHPian

Thanks for the replies guys. Cleared out the doubts regarding oliver and memory division. Its been 2 days since I am using the galaxyR, and I have noticed that its wifi connection is very weak, doesn't receive wifi connections properly. Always shows less signal compared to my other devices like nokia e5 and itouch. Also it is not able to detect the wireless ad-hoc network created by my laptop, whereas the other devices are able to detect it easily and connect to internet via it. Are others facing similar wifi problems too with galaxyR? please let me know :(
Old 7th January 2012, 20:40   #7263
BHPian

I finally flashed my xcd35 with CM7.2 thanks to bluengle180. Loving the response of the phone.

However I'm missing the stock dialer that was present on Froyo. How do I get it back? I basically need smart dialing and ability to view detailed call logs.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I found that my Vodafone edge data connection is not working. Do I need to do anything special to get it working?

Last edited by Gandhi : 7th January 2012 at 20:50.
Old 7th January 2012, 20:47   #7264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I finally flashed my xcd35 with CM7.2 thanks to bluengle180. Loving the response of the phone.

However I'm missing the stock dialer that was present on Froyo. How do I get it back? I basically need smart dialing and ability to view detailed call logs.

Any suggestions?
https://market.android.com/details?i...ntactpro&hl=en
Old 7th January 2012, 23:46   #7265
BHPian

Couple of more issues I have with CM7.

There is a search icon on left side of the status bar. I checked all the CM settings but can't find out how to get rid of it. When I click it, it opens the search window. Here is the screen shot.

Name:  screenshot1325956512082.png
Views: 604
Size:  422.2 KB

Another thing I noticed is the font on lock screen. It is not the same as it used to be earlier which I liked very much. Same font is shown when I open the clock application, I want those font back on the lock screen as well. Possible?

Name:  screenshot1325959766717.png
Views: 547
Size:  204.4 KB
Old 7th January 2012, 23:48   #7266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Here are some suggestions

1) Moto Defy Plus - 17.5K (Gingerbread, ICS not announced)
2) Samsung Galaxy R - 19.9K (Gingerbread, ICS probable)
3) SE Xperia Neo - 16K (Gingerbread, ICS annouced)
4) LG Optimus 2X - 19-20K (Gingerbread, ICS probable)

I have personally used Defy and Neo. Both have good screen response. Am using Exchange Sync on both.
Defy/Defy+ will get ICS the way Defy got GB - [ICS] 23-Dec First "CM9" Experimental Builds for the Defy ! - xda-developers but the devs are currently on leave (Europe style) so wait till end of jun for a rock stable ICS build - BUT 99.99% quicker than Motorola will ever give u!

That said, SERIOUSLY consider the Windows Phone. Mango is quite nice and Lumia 710 and Omnia W are a lovely toss up - Nokia's got some great location based services and a visual search.

Else there's the HTC Chacha. What design (samsung's hardware edge still lacks the HTC finesse) - what keypad but what a letdown screen (sorry i'm spoilt by the defy). If you can live with that screen, its a brilliant allround device!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
it is not able to detect the wireless ad-hoc network created by my laptop, whereas the other devices are able to detect it easily and connect to internet via it. Are others facing similar wifi problems too with galaxyR? please let me know :(
Does the phone have a setting to ignore adhoc networks? CM7 does IIRC.

Quote:

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I found that my Vodafone edge data connection is not working. Do I need to do anything special to get it working?
edge may have something to do with baseband. check how baseband/ frequencies are set by region.

there are t9 dialers available.

Last edited by phamilyman : 7th January 2012 at 23:51.
Old 8th January 2012, 09:27   #7267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
That said, SERIOUSLY consider the Windows Phone. Mango is quite nice and Lumia 710 and Omnia W are a lovely toss up - Nokia's got some great location based services and a visual search.
Hi phamilyman,

Do you really think Windows phone has the capability to give a tough fight to Android and IPhone? There are have been numerous reports saying that Nokia+Windows mobile is the future (long time back a link too was posted here on this thread). Many people believe that Windows phone will be the next big thing. But last I heard about windows phone was that it has the essentials but is too restricted. Styling is good but it does not offer anything out of the box. Please note that I do not use Windows phone and I am saying this only on hearing/reading. I might be incorrect. I just want to ask why you think Windows will be such a huge thing?
Old 8th January 2012, 09:56   #7268
BANNED

Information on Titanium Backup License

I have two mobiles one CDMA and one GSM. I had got a cracked Titanium Pro which I was using for the past five or six months. After moving to Gingerbread on the Incredible 2 the old one was not working. So I downloaded the latest Titanium and bought the license. Apparently, the license is for a particular GMail ID. Yesterday I on the GSM phone (Samsung I5110) I went into the market and checked. I saw the license as already purchased. Titanium l removed the old version and installed the latest.Showed up as a free version. Then I downloaded and installed the key, and it went to Pro.

So as long as you are syncing with the same GMail account multiple installations are permitted on the same license.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 11:21   #7269
BHPian

Quote:

Have you manually entered the APN settings and enabled them?

As for the search bar . search for "disable/enable soft buttons" in the CM7 settings

Last edited by Bluengel180 : 8th January 2012 at 11:23.
Old 8th January 2012, 12:08   #7270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi phamilyman,

Do you really think Windows phone has the capability to give a tough fight to Android and IPhone? There are have been numerous reports saying that Nokia+Windows mobile is the future (long time back a link too was posted here on this thread). Many people believe that Windows phone will be the next big thing. But last I heard about windows phone was that it has the essentials but is too restricted. Styling is good but it does not offer anything out of the box. Please note that I do not use Windows phone and I am saying this only on hearing/reading. I might be incorrect. I just want to ask why you think Windows will be such a huge thing?
Well i can give my 2 cents worth on this. win mobile is indeed a credible alternative to iOS and Android. If you look objectively enough, it is a great platform in itself. the neat social integration is their USP, its much better than the other two in that respect. the interface with its live tiles is much more beautiful and useful than the plain icons (of iOS) or widgets. thirdly, the battery performance is very good. same battery outlasts Androids by huge margins. one more advantage win mobile and iOS have over Android is very less (or zero in case of win mobile) fragmentation, which means lesser issues, more stability and faster updates. It also means its easier for developers to write apps (as they dont have to support 20 different screen resolutions or different platforms). It means that apps have a very uniform behavior on all win mobiles. this also means that apps can be optimized to the extent possible (something very challenging on Android platform). However, its limitations are very limited customization and a marketplace still in infancy (though most of the apps you would need are already there! But who really uses all the million plus apps that are there in AppStore or Android Market??? Most people look at not more than a few hundred in their lifetime!). Androids are great to customize (I call it novelty factor which wears off in time) but the battery performance is awful (for an out of the box set) and even dual core droids suffer from lags! Android's biggest strength (customizability) is its biggest bane!!!

win mobile is great for those looking at simple, meaningful smartphone experience.
Old 8th January 2012, 15:33   #7271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi phamilyman,

Forget huge or no huge thing - the point is that windows phone as of now is pretty good and most are a lovely device by themselves. Who cares what'll happen after 2 years - then u buy the latest thing.

Its quite nice (the restrictive styling - as an android user that pisses me off really reg themes and the loong list of tiles may be a bit painful). But its on the whole very neatly put together phones with a snappy OS. When it does the job and most of the minimum apps arethere, why bother reg the million of android apps? Just use it with an open mind .
Old 8th January 2012, 19:25   #7272
Senior - BHPian

Best of Luck to all those trying out the Mango platform. Android gives all the features and much much more, even online SMS Backup to Gmail from SMS Backup + Chrome Bookmark Sync, Softwares like https://market.android.com/details?i...FpcmRyb2lkIl0.
Best in class GoogleTalk, Gmail, GPlus, Photo Backup, Multiple Gmail etc etc

Why should we even care for Yet Another OS which apes the iOS and which like the iOS has the same inherent flaws like No customisation, wallpaper widgets etc. etc.

Microsoft Charges $99 per Account from my fellow software developers, each year even though your App is free on Market, so Happy Wasting money on Apps which is not shared among the accounts like we do in Android in multiple family phone.

Last edited by dkaile : 8th January 2012 at 19:29.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 20:49   #7273
BHPian

Can someone please mention here what are the restrictions Windows phone has? Please remember I am not talking about things which can be added/modified by hacking/flashing or something like that. I am talking about the software provided by the manufacturer as it is. I mean my friend had an Iphone 3GS and I was shocked when he told me the phone did not have Bluetooth. People may have found out ways of dealing with this but the fact is Apple did not provide Bluetooth in their previous versions (Kindly correct me if I am wrong here). It would be good if we can make a list of restrictions imposed by Android/Windows/Apple. What do you guys think?
Old 9th January 2012, 09:47   #7274
BANNED

@Saanil; Are you not on the wrong thread. This thread is dedicated to Android. There is another thread for general mobile discussions.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 10:06   #7275
Senior - BHPian

Saanil,

That discussion is for the other thread. FWIW, 3GS has bluetooth fully functional - its the 3G whose BT could only discover headsets but not pair with general devices.

Dkaile saab,

No one's disputing that - the point is that the phones are quite useful and feature rich and intuitive/fast by themselves. There are pros/cons. Its not as simple.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks