Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2012, 10:40   #7246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil

I think any phone which supports 3G and has a front facing camera will support this functionality as rightly pointed above. Now a days any phone above 15k has a front facing camera and I think they will surely support video calling. BTW have you tried using it earlier? 3G video calling is still to take off as 3G rates are still very high. If 3G prices decline I am sure video calling will increase - seems like a very interesting feature to use.
I hope this helps.
OT.I've been using video calling for last 1& 1/2 years,earlier on my nokia5800 and now on Samsung Galaxy SII.i use BSNL 3G services,video call rates are cheap,local @30ps per minute,std @70ps,on roaming Rs1.5 per minute.Any phone with 3G network supports video call,AFAIK camera placement doesn't matter.My dad uses Nokia C-5 which came for 8k.It has a front facing camera also.Secondly my uncle uses a Nokia E series without a front facing camera but he can make video calls using the main camera,the problem of not seeing your own screen is solved if you stand in front of a mirror.
Old 5th January 2012, 18:36   #7247
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Just got my galaxyR from sulekha today, I am new to android to have got a few queries for now, other queries will come later as I use it more.

1) The phone specification says that it has 8gb of internal storage and 2 gb rom. Now when I check in the storage option in settings, it shows 3.75gb usb storage free and in the internal memory it shows 1.9gb free. What is this 3.75 usb storage? Can apps n other data be stored in it? Also is the internal memory shared into these usb memory/internal memory.

2) How to change the idle screen lock pattern. I mean currently I have to slide it towards top right of the screen. Is there any way to change its pattern like say sliding left/right or top/bottom.

3) The phone box was sealed but it wasn't the hologram type seal, it was just a regular white seal with samsung logo. Does samsung handsets come with this type of seals?

Android gurus please help
Old 5th January 2012, 19:17   #7248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
Just got my galaxyR from sulekha today, I am new to android to have got a few queries for now, other queries will come later as I use it more.

1) The phone specification says that it has 8gb of internal storage and 2 gb rom. Now when I check in the storage option in settings, it shows 3.75gb usb storage free and in the internal memory it shows 1.9gb free. What is this 3.75 usb storage? Can apps n other data be stored in it? Also is the internal memory shared into these usb memory/internal memory.
Can you check the specs again?
I think you mean 8gb via card, and 2gb internal.
3.75gb usb storage free is mem left on the card.
out of the box, and 4 odd gb used?have they given some free media on the card?
Last I checked you need to root to have apps to sd.
I think there are some apps which allow you to move installs to the card, but they are not comprehensive.do check.
2) How to change the idle screen lock pattern. I mean currently I have to slide it towards top right of the screen. Is there any way to change its pattern like say sliding left/right or top/bottom.
I dont think you an change the way it slides.But you can get some other unlockers from xda-developers, or look in the market.
search for "slide unlocker"
3) The phone box was sealed but it wasn't the hologram type seal, it was just a regular white seal with samsung logo. Does samsung handsets come with this type of seals?

cant say
Android gurus please help
inline.
If it helps, then ok!!!
Old 5th January 2012, 19:39   #7249
BHPian

Hi guys. Lookin for some help in choosing the right android.

What do I need:
1. Exchange sync should be easy.
2. Screen input should be precise (I currently use iPhone 3GS which is good. ) and smooth.
3. would like to have auto brightness.
4. Don't care about camera or sound.
5. Would like to have proximity sensor so the screen would switch off when calling.

Budget: around 15k stretchable to 20.
Also should I be looking for gingerbread or should I be looking at icecream compatibility. ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 5th January 2012, 20:14   #7250
BHPian

thanks mayank, for the quick reply

According to the specs given in gsmarena
Samsung I9103 Galaxy R - Full phone specifications

source gsm arena.

There it shows that the ph has internal 8 GB storage, 1 GB RAM, 2 GB ROM

Also the handset box has 8 gb written over it.

Now when I check in settings, under storage it has 3 sub menus.

1. SD card : total space unavailable
2. USB storage : total space available 3.75gb
3. Device memory : available space 1.95 gb

Now what I am guessing is internal memory of 8gb is divided into usb storage 3.75gb {dont exactly know what that it} and the 3 sub menu, that is device memory 1.95gb

Still its very much less than 8gb, also how do I check the ram and rom?

Any galaxy R user would be able to throw more light on it.
Old 5th January 2012, 20:25   #7251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23

source gsm arena.

There it shows that the ph has internal 8 GB storage, 1 GB RAM, 2 GB ROM

Also the handset box has 8 gb written over it.

Now when I check in settings, under storage it has 3 sub menus.

1. SD card : total space unavailable
2. USB storage : total space available 3.75gb
3. Device memory : available space 1.95 gb

Now what I am guessing is internal memory of 8gb is divided into usb storage 3.75gb {dont exactly know what that it} and the 3 sub menu, that is device memory 1.95gb

You'd have a file explorer in apps. Browse around.
Old 5th January 2012, 22:01   #7252
BHPian

Is samsung galaxy R's default bluetooth name "oliver" ? I am worried as usually manufacturers do not keep such names for bluetooth devices. It is usually the handset name itself. Galaxy R users please let me know. I am worried as it might be a used handset and previous owner might have kept this bluetooh device name.
Old 5th January 2012, 22:42   #7253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23
Is samsung galaxy R's default bluetooth name "oliver" ? I am worried as usually manufacturers do not keep such names for bluetooth devices. It is usually the handset name itself. Galaxy R users please let me know. I am worried as it might be a used handset and previous owner might have kept this bluetooh device name.
* # * # 4636 # * # * user statistics and Phone Info*
Try this and see what comes up.

Edit:sorry.try this*#44336#. I think that would give a date.
Worked on the galaxy tab

Last edited by mayankk : 5th January 2012 at 22:48.
Old 5th January 2012, 23:58   #7254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
* # * # 4636 # * # * user statistics and Phone Info*
Try this and see what comes up.

Edit:sorry.try this*#44336#. I think that would give a date.
Worked on the galaxy tab
Tried both the codes, both of them work but are displaying usage history, version name, imei etc. But I guess usage history gets reset with a factory reset. No info about the default bluetooth device's name.

Also samsung's helpline numbers are available till 8pm only. Will have to call samsung customer care tomorrow. It will be a very agonizing night for me. Samsung galaxyR users please let me know about it.
Old 6th January 2012, 15:26   #7255
BHPian

Quote:

Best is to root and download an app called SD maid this will help in seeing whats happening with your memory
Old 6th January 2012, 19:43   #7256
Senior - BHPian

Bought my wife Dell's XCD35, was delivered yesterday through flipkart's incredible fast shipping (within one day). Any pointers on what are some cool apps that are must-have for this phone?

PS: Display as they say, is out of this world when compared to other phones in the ~12-13k price category.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 01:33   #7257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Bought my wife Dell's XCD35, was delivered yesterday through flipkart's incredible fast shipping (within one day). Any pointers on what are some cool apps that are must-have for this phone?

PS: Display as they say, is out of this world when compared to other phones in the ~12-13k price category.
Congrats on a fantastic phone. i've had my good times with its cousin

As for apps. the first thing you should do is install a custom launcher.search the marker for Go launcher EX/launcher pro.

And please avoid too many widgets/live wallpapers.they drain the battery superfast.

If you plan to play any free games from the market. install an adblocker first. as the Ads that show up on free games slow it down.

Use dropbox for syncing files from your PC

And tinker around the phone for now. and then think about apgrading the phone to gingerbread/CM7 (ICS is in the works too). an update to gingerbread doubles the responsiveness of the phone

Feel free to PM about any doubts or queries you might have,or for instructions on how to update.

Have fun with your new phone for now
Old 7th January 2012, 02:33   #7258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you google around you can find a few posts from XDA and gsmarena where a few users noticed this. Guess it is normal
Old 7th January 2012, 07:42   #7259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

Android App Recommendations | FreeRiding

is a WIP but half useful.

good to see u agree with our regular phone recommendation
Old 7th January 2012, 10:29   #7260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Congrats on a fantastic phone. i've had my good times with its cousin

As for apps. the first thing you should do is install a custom launcher.search the marker for Go launcher EX/launcher pro.

And please avoid too many widgets/live wallpapers.they drain the battery superfast.

If you plan to play any free games from the market. install an adblocker first. as the Ads that show up on free games slow it down.

Use dropbox for syncing files from your PC

And tinker around the phone for now. and then think about apgrading the phone to gingerbread/CM7 (ICS is in the works too). an update to gingerbread doubles the responsiveness of the phone

Feel free to PM about any doubts or queries you might have,or for instructions on how to update.

Have fun with your new phone for now
Thanks a lot for the useful info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Android App Recommendations | FreeRiding

is a WIP but half useful.

good to see u agree with our regular phone recommendation
Thanks a lot, I never knew this was highly recommended in this section, good to hear that.

I kind of decided on it after a couple of online comparisons at gsmarena etc. looking at how great the display was but then I somehow bumped into ZTE Blade forums (hacks/tweaks etc.) and realized that this phone has a large online community for support and the phone could be a lot more fun than others.

This one is for wife but as soon I powered the phone on I knew this was going to be phone for me also in another few months, unless Dell comes out with an even better phone in a similar price range.

Thanks again guys!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks