Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2012, 12:16   #7336
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
It does that. Infact, you should just use the power widget described by clevermax (for CM). That works perfectly.

You may have turned off (bkgrnd) data sync. that is not the same as zero data.
Exactly. that's the easiest way to manage power.

For those who want to sync outlook calendar with your droid or iphone, this is the easiest way - just install an forget, meeting invites that comes to your outlook will automatically sync with your google calendar too.
Name:  Sync.png
Views: 757
Size:  50.8 KB

Last edited by clevermax : 12th January 2012 at 12:19.
Old 12th January 2012, 13:54   #7337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
For those who want to sync outlook calendar with your droid or iphone, this is the easiest way - just install an forget, meeting invites that comes to your outlook will automatically sync with your google calendar too.
Attachment 870523
I assume this works only on Windowz. I have simply added my corporate email account in the email app and selected to sync calendar data too, works flawlessly.
Old 12th January 2012, 15:12   #7338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Exactly. that's the easiest way to manage power.

Wish this worked flawlessly. I have been doing RnD with this thing on my corporate laptop for nearly two months.
1. On day two, it messed up my Outlook calendar (I had 2-way sync setup at that time). All events in my Outlook calendar appeared twice.
Used a KB article on microsoft.com to figure out how to remove duplicates and cleaned up my Outlook calendar.
2. Then I changed the sync to 1-way from Outlook to Google.
3. Tried several things after that but I noticed that all my events do not get synched. Most of my recurring meetings appear fine, but the other meetings do not show up at all.
When I checked the Google groups, I realized I am not the only one with this problem.

Wish it worked.

Edit: @Gandhi: That should be possible only if your mail server is directly exposed to the Internet -most corporate do not setup Exchange/ Lotus notes that way. That's where Blackberry servers come into the picture.

@noopster: Congratulations on the big phooooone

Last edited by S_U_N : 12th January 2012 at 15:20.
Old 12th January 2012, 16:46   #7339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I assume this works only on Windowz. I have simply added my corporate email account in the email app and selected to sync calendar data too, works flawlessly.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Edit: @Gandhi: That should be possible only if your mail server is directly exposed to the Internet -most corporate do not setup Exchange/ Lotus notes that way. That's where Blackberry servers come into the picture.
LOL@Note!

This is interesting. In my last usage of outlook, it worked out of the box. Didn't know what the funda was.

btw, alot of companies enable OWA so that clients can connect directly. that is how my BB owning friends at that company were connecting as well - no one except CXO had BES. But lots were using with BIS only.
Old 12th January 2012, 16:54   #7340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It does that. Infact, you should just use the power widget described by clevermax (for CM). That works perfectly.

You may have turned off (bkgrnd) data sync. that is not the same as zero data.
I have turned off Background data, Data roaming and Data access over mobile network.
When I disable background data. It tells me "Disabling background data extends battery life and lowers data use. Some applications may still use the background data connection"
Anyway, since I have turned off data access over mobile networks. It should not use any. But it does which is weird.
Old 12th January 2012, 17:13   #7341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1

LOL@Note!

This is interesting. In my last usage of outlook, it worked out of the box. Didn't know what the funda was.

btw, alot of companies enable OWA so that clients can connect directly. that is how my BB owning friends at that company were connecting as well - no one except CXO had BES. But lots were using with BIS only.
Typically for Outlook to connect to your Exchange server, you need several ports to be enabled (RPC, MAPI) which are not allowed from outside the organization due to security reasons.
So, a laptop user needs to connect via VPN and then establish connectivity with Exchange server.
Then came the concept of RPC over HTTPS which many organizations did not switch over (again due to lack of independent security validation results).

With OWA, many security conscious organizations will ask for two-factor authentication via SSL VPN and then allow you to connect to your webmail/ OWA and check your email.
So, if the mobile/ smartphone has a compatible VPN client, then this works fine.
The BES would serve as a front end for your Exchange server so that the Exchange server does not have to be exposed.
Also note that it is very easy for the organization to control who can connect using what protocols from outside. So CXO's may have access whereas others may not and so on.

But this is going off-topic here.

On the last page there was discussion on stability and reboots. Some notes from my end.

On my Moto Defy with CM 7, I can say it is more stable than stock Froyo, but not without issues.

A few days ago, I ended a call and the phone went blank. Tried everything. Then I had to remove the battery and boot the phone.
I have also seen that apps like Go Contacts, Go Dialler are quite heavy for processing. They introduce a distinct lag and also come with their own bugs.
Many times I see 'No records' under the Go Dialler. Then I have to tap on All calls or Missed calls and then the entire listing is drawn on screen.
Old 12th January 2012, 17:18   #7342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A few days ago, I ended a call and the phone went blank. Tried everything. Then I had to remove the battery and boot the phone.
a. Has it recurred?
b. I suspect proximity sensor. Was it on? (faint red light). Did you wave in front of it?
Old 12th January 2012, 20:14   #7343
BHPian

Forgot to mention that I sync corporate data only when I'm inside company network. Otherwise one needs to apply for special access to exchange.

Last edited by GTO : 13th January 2012 at 15:59. Reason: The quote in your post wrongly mentioned someone else's handle.
Old 12th January 2012, 20:23   #7344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have also seen that apps like Go Contacts, Go Dialler are quite heavy for processing. They introduce a distinct lag and also come with their own bugs.
Many times I see 'No records' under the Go Dialler. Then I have to tap on All calls or Missed calls and then the entire listing is drawn on screen.
Infact I faced this issue with GO dialer, theme, all the stuff from them on my SGS3 some time back..the worst was after grouping your contacts in the GO contacts - and by any chance if you uninstall the GO theme and stuff..your contacts are mysteriously hidden.. They are grouped under system contacts and the normal phone dialer does not display the number/contact.

BTW, for DEFY, I prefer WIUI over CM7.1 the dialer of WIUI is way above CM7.1 IMO
Old 13th January 2012, 09:07   #7345
BHPian

tried out ICS build on my HTC Incredible S. Attaching some of the screen shots. ROM is Virtuous Quattro. There is another one based out of CM9 (beta), but, was not that stable. Had couple of FCs and a forced reboot , hence decided to do away with it.
Attached Images

joecherian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 02:09   #7346
BHPian

i want to purchase SE NeoV here in mumbai. Where is it made in, India or else. What is written on box. Someone on other website said it has HDMI cable in it. Lowest price at authorised dealer I have seen is 17000. what is price in alpha.
pl I want to purchase it urgently.

i want to purchase SE NeoV here in mumbai. Where is it made in, India or else. What is written on box. Someone on other website said it has HDMI cable in it. Lowest price at authorised dealer I have seen is 17000. what is price in alpha?
Also what is lowest price for Xperia Pro?

Last edited by mobike008 : 15th January 2012 at 12:29. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait for 30 Mins before next post or use EDIT button to make changes to existing post.
Old 14th January 2012, 09:39   #7347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
i want to purchase SE NeoV here in mumbai. Where is it made in, India or else. What is written on box. Someone on other website said it has HDMI cable in it. Lowest price at authorised dealer I have seen is 17000. what is price in alpha?
Also what is lowest price for Xperia Pro?
Box packed SE Neo V is available around 15-15.5K on eBay with warranty. Its not made in India. Yes, HDMI cable is there with Neo V. Neo doesn't get HDMI cable in pack. Hope this helps.
Old 14th January 2012, 17:13   #7348
Senior - BHPian

How do I move apps from one SD card (2gb that is installed) to another (16gb new)? I plan on rooting the phone so this movement is prior to rooting the phone or after it? Or it doesn't matter?
Old 14th January 2012, 18:10   #7349
Senior - BHPian

Never mind. Rooted the phone, installed a root-only app2sd application and moved everything except it and the launcher to SD.

Will handover the phone to wife before I plan on installing a custom ROM, let her play with it for a while.

So now, what are the must have root-only apps now?
Old 14th January 2012, 21:37   #7350
BHPian

For all Android users: Google Engineer Debunks Myth: Wiping Battery Stats Does Not Improve Battery Life | xda-developers

Now, to Wipe or not to Wipe!! Thats the question.
Zenster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks