Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2012, 11:53   #7306
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Yes but can all Andrioid phones be made to a wifi hotspot?
Yes. if a phone doesn't have it as a default option there are apps in the market to enable it
Bluengel180 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 12:10   #7307
BHPian

Any idea how much a MHL adapter and an 5 mtrs hdmi cable cost in general i dont find the above on popular portals like flipkart even samsung does not have it in its accesories section, any help in this regard will be appreciated, by the way its for my samsung galaxy s2.(to connect to panasonic x42d plasma)

Last edited by 11mahesh11 : 10th January 2012 at 12:15.
Old 10th January 2012, 12:32   #7308
BHPian

What are the minimum system requirements to run Sygic maps on an android mobile lag free ? In terms of hardware specs i mean.
Old 10th January 2012, 17:40   #7309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_9327 View Post
What are the minimum system requirements to run Sygic maps on an android mobile lag free ? In terms of hardware specs i mean.
A 1 ghz processor will be enough. i haven't seen it lag on my 600mhz processor but i cant say the same about the others
Old 10th January 2012, 18:50   #7310

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11mahesh11 View Post
Any idea how much a MHL adapter and an 5 mtrs hdmi cable cost in general i dont find the above on popular portals like flipkart even samsung does not have it in its accesories section, any help in this regard will be appreciated, by the way its for my samsung galaxy s2.(to connect to panasonic x42d plasma)
When google search refuses to be your friend, turn to Ebay for such things.
MHL Adapter >> mhl adapter | eBay
HDMI Cable >> 5 meter hdmi cable | eBay
rajanmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 20:01   #7311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Where can I get the instructions for 'downgrading'?
Just flash the rom version you want to. 'Downgrading' the rom is not difficult. That said, have you rooted the note yet? Easier to upgrade/downgrade once you root it.

Refer: [STOCK ROMS] N7000 All stock ROMs + install + Root guide All at 1 place,Latest KL8 - xda-developers in case you need help with rooting and flashing.

Quote:
Well welcome to Android I would say! Thats a standard issue with most droids I would say! Thats my biggest pet peeve with Android. Why does the OS need to crash every now and then!!!
I have been using Android for 2+ years, I flash a new rom every other week, never have I experienced OS crashes. Not sure why you have the problem.
Old 10th January 2012, 23:22   #7312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post

I have been using Android for 2+ years, I flash a new rom every other week, never have I experienced OS crashes. Not sure why you have the problem.
well there are enough forums on internet filled with this kind of problems! And thts true for every droid out there! (by every droid i mean all models) if your phone doesnt hve this problem, this does not mean this problem does not exist. the first time my phone died on me, I was totally cracked! I scrounged internet and then came to know about this wonderful property (or should we call it a feature) of Android and the wonderful thing called fragmentation and how that is single handedly the biggest headache of all the ODMs (Original Device Manufacturers). it is the reason why my droid is not going to see ICS before 6 months (by that time ICS would be too old) and theres another statistic that says 7 out of 18 mobiles never see the latest android in their life!

Thing is, droids dont have a consistent experience (unlike iOS or Win Mobile) as there are so many permutations/combinations (various screen resolutions, many platforms, hardware configurations (like memory,processor,rom etc), all the hundreds of versions of android itself plus all the usual bloatware. this means that its very likely ur mobile will be rock stable and mine can die every week. Plus theres always apps that can crash your OS!!! (Why couldnt google implement a protection against that???).

I understand that one can always root and try custom ROMs that might be more stable. But I dont want to do that as that would void the warranty of the device. I would have prefered if my droid was stable enough out of the box. And before anybody jumps to anything, I have installed apps only from the Market and not from anywhere else!

Last edited by joslicx : 10th January 2012 at 23:43.
Old 11th January 2012, 01:34   #7313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I understand that one can always root and try custom ROMs that might be more stable. But I dont want to do that as that would void the warranty of the device. I would have prefered if my droid was stable enough out of the box. And before anybody jumps to anything, I have installed apps only from the Market and not from anywhere else!
+1 to that. And I too have not installed any non-Market apps.

Having said that, the phone has rebooted just once in the last 36 hours. I'll observe for a few more days and then go to mobile store.

ps: Earlier I had thought it was the latest update to the Facebook app (1.8.1) which supposedly has issues. It was slow and hung a few times on wifeys Galaxy S too. I had since, uninstalled it and am accessing FB through the browser.
Old 11th January 2012, 08:11   #7314
Senior - BHPian

I moved to pre paid due to real lack of usage over calls and sms.

I think this has been already discussed, but i can't seem to find a way to get rid of these annoying pop ups after every call or a session of data usage. Any thoughts ? Called Airtel customer care and they told this is a setting in my phone to not to display call summary, which i can't find. CM7.1.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot13261859515481.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 11th January 2012 at 08:17.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 10:12   #7315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Well welcome to Android I would say! Thats a standard issue with most droids I would say! Thats my biggest pet peeve with Android. Why does the OS need to crash every now and then!!!
Just having a different opinion on this I have a Neo with me for the past couple months and it haven't restarted or crashed on its own till date. Am still on SE ROM (2.3.4). So is the case with my wifey's Defy. Still rock solid after 3 months. So a generalization on this topic may not be fair I'd say
Old 11th January 2012, 11:23   #7316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac

Just having a different opinion on this I have a Neo with me for the past couple months and it haven't restarted or crashed on its own till date. Am still on SE ROM (2.3.4). So is the case with my wifey's Defy. Still rock solid after 3 months. So a generalization on this topic may not be fair I'd say
Exactly, my samsung gt -i9003 is running on 2.3.5 which is firmware published on samfirmware.com. No crashes till date.
Old 11th January 2012, 13:54   #7317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Exactly, my samsung gt -i9003 is running on 2.3.5 which is firmware published on samfirmware.com. No crashes till date.

Hi F150, i have a query regarding messaging in my I9003.There is a lag while messaging in silent mode.I use a 3X4 keyboard layout.Many time even after pressing a key,the pressed alphabet does not come on the screen.This problem totally disappears when i select the option in sounds which produces a 'click' sound whenever a key is pressed and the phone is in normal mode. The problem is there only in silent mode.This makes messaging very frustrating.

Have you faced this problem? Even i am running on 2.3.5
Old 11th January 2012, 14:01   #7318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki

Hi F150, i have a query regarding messaging in my I9003.There is a lag while messaging in silent mode.I use a 3X4 keyboard layout.Many time even after pressing a key,the pressed alphabet does not come on the screen.This problem totally disappears when i select the option in sounds which produces a 'click' sound whenever a key is pressed and the phone is in normal mode. The problem is there only in silent mode.This makes messaging very frustrating.

Have you faced this problem? Even i am running on 2.3.5
I am on XXKPQ. Which firmware are you on ? I rarely use silent mode. But I haven't encountered this issue even when I am on silent mode. I use swype.
Old 11th January 2012, 14:03   #7319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I moved to pre paid due to real lack of usage over calls and sms.

I think this has been already discussed, but i can't seem to find a way to get rid of these annoying pop ups after every call or a session of data usage. Any thoughts ? Called Airtel customer care and they told this is a setting in my phone to not to display call summary, which i can't find. CM7.1.

Attachment 869418
l too have the same issue. A great irritant it is.

Do we need to suffer in silence?

Help please.
Old 11th January 2012, 14:13   #7320
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys, got my Galaxy Note yesterday and loving it! Obviously, since am a smartphone noob, have not even used 0.5% of its functionality yet, but I like whatever I have used so far. And all those worried about how big it is need not worry- slips easy as pie into a pocket and the free flip cover they provide is uber-useful!

Got it off Letsbuy.com for 32,700/- and it's supposed to include a free Jabra BT headset which did not get shipped (will check with them, it's a much needed accesory if you ask me). In fact this model is selling like hot cakes and most retail stores in Pune are selling it at MRP (35K) so I got a sweet deal in the end. Had booked it late last week, so got it pretty quickly.

Most Viewed