Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2011, 10:07   #5806
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
My Defy has got one significant problem - the camera application sometimes does not show up if the phone gets locked while the camera is on.
So,
1. if I am ready to take a picture, I launch the camera application.
2. The camera is ON and ready to take a picture.
3. Now, the subject is not ready due to some reason (say someone comes in the background etc.)
4. The phone gets locked and the screen switches off
5. Now, I press the power button and the screen comes back (and it is locked)
6. I swipe across to unlock
7. Now in most cases the screen does not get unlocked. It just goes blank and the buttons at the bottom of the screen (Menu, Search, et. al.) continue glowing.
Very rarely does the camera come back in the active mode.
8. I need to wait for 5-10 minutes and try again, and I can access my camera. Till that time, the phone is unusable for me.
I am running on stock 2.2.2 (and just have a couple of applications (Maps).
you could try a screen on app.
itll run in the background, and you can add a list of apps which, when on, need the phone unlocked, and not go to lock mode.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 10:38   #5807
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Mayank.
I will search for these in the market.
BTW, I have also noticed that the Data Usage throws out random numbers at me. For example, sometime the usage is shown as 450 MB and the next day it shows as 115 MB.
I am not sure how much I have used at any point in time.
Another smaller issue is that "Check for Updates" keeps on running for several hours without telling me anything. I have to finally stop that. I am not sure if it downloads something or just keeps waiting for server response.
Does that happen with other phones too?
Old 12th September 2011, 13:06   #5808
Senior - BHPian

Finally I bought my first Android Phone. It took me almost 6 months to take a decision. I wanted to get the Samsung i9000 but unfortunately most shops here were out of stock and all claimed that Samsung has stopped the supplies of the same. Only Vijay sales had 1 piece left in stock and the asking price was INR 22,000/-. Which was out of budget for me. So i settled in for Samsung i9003 SLCD and it cost me 17500/- from Vijay Sales which came with a Bluetooth Handsfree. Another shop quoted me INR 18,450/- for same with Bluetooth Headset and Car Charger.

I am happy with the phone and i am a newbie to terms like flashing and rooting so, i am going to stay away from those. I have installed some apps that i will be using day to day and some games of my liking.

Cannot comment on the battery list as its been less than 24 hrs since i have the phone with me. The i9003 came pre loaded with Froyo 2.2. Hope it comes out with 2.3 Ginger Bread very soon. I migrated from Bold 3 to this and i am enjoying this gadget very much.

Any i9003 users here? Any tips for this newbie? Please give your value able feedbacks.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 12th September 2011 at 13:10.
Old 12th September 2011, 13:43   #5809
Senior - BHPian

Can someone suggest a good weather app on the android market? My only requirement is that it should be able to provide weather info for places other than the big cities. I currently hold a HTC Desire S and it has the default animated weather widget. Is there any way where we can enter the location co-ordinates and we get the weather details of that location?

btw, can someone tell me the difference between a widget and an app? I'm a total newbie here
Old 12th September 2011, 14:45   #5810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Those are more than enough reasons to avoid MS2Ginger. I was thinking CM7 was little un-stable.
ha ha. Actually it is quite stable if you look beyond the pain points. the other mega pain point is that messaging (i have like 3500 at last count) takes easily 40-60s to open, which I completely hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Thanks folks. My comments were made tongue in cheek.

Let's see what happens with the replacement piece.

My initial impression of the the SGS2 is that it rather big (to use e.g. type using one hand) and more fragile. I can't rough use it the way I used my E 72. Maybe I will get used to it...
In which case, you should've bought the Defy. Its meant to be used one-handed unlike the similar screen sized HTC phones which are bigger overall and are more suited to one-handed operation! And its WAY more rugged too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
My Defy has got one significant problem - the camera application sometimes does not show up if the phone gets locked while the camera is on.
So,
1. if I am ready to take a picture, I launch the camera application.
2. The camera is ON and ready to take a picture.
3. Now, the subject is not ready due to some reason (say someone comes in the background etc.)
4. The phone gets locked and the screen switches off
5. Now, I press the power button and the screen comes back (and it is locked)
6. I swipe across to unlock
7. Now in most cases the screen does not get unlocked. It just goes blank and the buttons at the bottom of the screen (Menu, Search, et. al.) continue glowing.
Very rarely does the camera come back in the active mode.
8. I need to wait for 5-10 minutes and try again, and I can access my camera. Till that time, the phone is unusable for me.
I am running on stock 2.2.2 (and just have a couple of applications (Maps).
That is absolutely interesting. I've had times when I've taken calls/locked screen/started browsing etc and returned to the running camera app later without any lag, forget any freezing. I cannot replicate it thus cannot advise you.

BUT I have a different question - try using a different camera app - there are several ones. Let me know whether the same behavior is replicated. if yes, then possibly its a OSdriver/hardware issue. If not, then delete the OEM camera app and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Can someone suggest a good weather app on the android market? My only requirement is that it should be able to provide weather info for places other than the big cities. I currently hold a HTC Desire S and it has the default animated weather widget. Is there any way where we can enter the location co-ordinates and we get the weather details of that location?

btw, can someone tell me the difference between a widget and an app? I'm a total newbie here
App is an application (think weather or TOI or angry birds) - it can be made to act like a widget where it'll just sit on the screen and display its output in a constrained portion of the screen. Think of a TODO app - it can normally have 10 items and menus, but instead, as a widget, it occupies a smaller portion of the screen (4 col X 1 row instead of full screen) where it just displays the items due today. So a widget is essentially a customized view of an app's output. Most widgets only have views, not detailed controls to modify/edit information being displayed - that is typically done by launching the main app.

So what u get is that each app may or may not have a widget, and even the widget may or may not fit your desired size. Because some apps may only operate in 4x4 or 2x2 sizes while u may want just a 4x1 size. Here the launcher matters. ADW can resize any widget to fit the size you specify. The MIUI launcher will just display the widget in its predetermined sizing.

You cannot get random areas' weather data because you need a weather station to be present there. If you see some indian sites, u can get 5 sites within delhi for example. But if u look at foreign sites, they will typically relay meteorological information from the Delhi airport only. Heck, even for Gurgaon - a metro in its own right with 2mn people - situated 30km away, you get the Delhi Airport data. Fat chance u have of getting any actual local data by just entering GPS coords

Last edited by phamilyman : 12th September 2011 at 14:48.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 20:49   #5811
Senior - BHPian

@invisible.

I am now testing the Ragemod U1. This one feels more stable and has excellent battery life as far as i can see.

With 3-4 hours of gaming using the bright screen and my daily usage i have around 21% left at around 7pm.

Without the gaming i am absolutely sure i could have stretched for 2-3 days.

There is one 2000mah battery available from Samsung in europe. Wondering if we can get hold of that battery
Old 12th September 2011, 20:52   #5812
Senior - BHPian

I updated my Stock 2.2.1 Froyo to 2.3.4 Gingerbread Official T-Mobile Update for MyTouch 4g aka HTC Glacier (available on XDA forums)

The Good

- Battery life seems to have improved but I guess its too early to sayy
- The FM radio volume & quality which sucked before has improved noticeably.
- The UI looks snappier & small changes can be seen in Clock & other places
- There are new widgets like one for FM radio, you can add a whole lot of settings related widget plus a few more
- Quick Settings in Notifications section is nice

The Bad

- Need to reinstall quite a bit of programs, I know it can be done by logging into Android Market on a Browser but still
- My Corp Email can not be configured any more... it says the security policies on my phone do not match It was working just fine earlier.

The Irrrelvant

- Some more T-Mobile Apps
- 4G instead of H for connection type

I will update if I see more changes.

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th September 2011 at 20:53.
Old 12th September 2011, 22:28   #5813
Senior - BHPian

Help!!

I was flashing 2.3.4 GB leak on my Galaxy S having froyo.

It failed when flashing with Odin 1.82.

Now when i am trying to re-flash it, whenever i try to go to download mode, the screen has lots of snow with multi-color dots and background black. Why is that happening?

How do i recover my phone to working state? Please help.
Old 12th September 2011, 22:38   #5814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@invisible.

I am now testing the Ragemod U1. This one feels more stable and has excellent battery life as far as i can see.

With 3-4 hours of gaming using the bright screen and my daily usage i have around 21% left at around 7pm.

Without the gaming i am absolutely sure i could have stretched for 2-3 days.

There is one 2000mah battery available from Samsung in europe. Wondering if we can get hold of that battery
The best juice I have got out of Litening 6.1 is with Ninphetamine 2.1.2. Ragemod kernal result is close to it. It needs an update with screen sensitivity.
I find the ninphetamine 2.1.2 much smoother than Ragemod.
Currently on Revolution ROM 2.6 since almost a week now and battery life looks a bit better than the Litening ROM plus one has options to customize with themes, fonts, dialers and others.

The 2000mah battery is available on exportprive.com also on ebay.
Have ordered few covers from exportprive they do ship to India via EMS, but it does take long to reach.
Rather wait until the battery is available locally.
Old 13th September 2011, 00:50   #5815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
guys, a lot of you may be using the handcent sms client, but just for those who arent, or those who are not aware, the blacklist feature works wonderfully.
I added some repeat offenders( spammers) last night.
Trust me, i have not had a more peaceful day in months.
I didnt have to lose weight so i could work more from at home earning 15-20k extra per month at the prime property I bought in greater noida, and saving enough for a trip to bangkok!!!!
handcent SMS blacklist is BUGGY.

It blocks the service provider. Net result is that the eticketing system of spicejet and AMADEUS, the Kotak net banking, the ICICI net banking among many others was simply invisible from my eyes.

I am very scared of these blacklist softwares currently.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 10:27   #5816
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
handcent SMS blacklist is BUGGY.

It blocks the service provider. Net result is that the eticketing system of spicejet and AMADEUS, the Kotak net banking, the ICICI net banking among many others was simply invisible from my eyes.

I am very scared of these blacklist softwares currently.

really???
so my peace is actually ignorance!!
any way by which i can see what i have missed?
something like a spam folder?
Old 13th September 2011, 11:30   #5817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
really???
so my peace is actually ignorance!!
any way by which i can see what i have missed?
something like a spam folder?
i couldnt find a spam folder - if u do so, let me know. which is why i gave up handcent. otherwise, its reply and suchlike features are quite kicka$s!
Old 13th September 2011, 11:41   #5818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
i couldnt find a spam folder - if u do so, let me know. which is why i gave up handcent. otherwise, its reply and suchlike features are quite kicka$s!
Only thing i saw was a "show blacklist" in handcent settings.
The messages still end up in the inbox, with a question mark.
Unmarked a few bank notifications, and airtel ones too.
will wait to see if a notification is also generated.
If not, then ok, half the problem solved.
If notification does pop-up, then i might as well disable blacklisting.
Old 13th September 2011, 11:52   #5819
Senior - BHPian

I installed Google's AOSP stock Gingerbread for Nexus One (GRJ90 / Android 2.3.5) on my HD2. While everything works fantastically, the default Email app cannot connect our company's Exchange server. Mainly I am looking for syncing the calendar at regular intervals. My friend reommended TouchDown. But before going for paid app, I would like to check if there any other alternative?
Old 13th September 2011, 16:39   #5820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I installed Google's AOSP stock Gingerbread for Nexus One (GRJ90 / Android 2.3.5) on my HD2. While everything works fantastically, the default Email app cannot connect our company's Exchange server. Mainly I am looking for syncing the calendar at regular intervals. My friend reommended TouchDown. But before going for paid app, I would like to check if there any other alternative?
Are you typing domain name in CAPS? IF no, then do that and then see.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks